HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Heavy Mtl 2010

Old
07-26-2010, 11:37 AM
Vlad The Impaler

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Rattlehead View Post
Just a guess: Hoglan and Lombardo are easy guesses....Dailor might be another solid guess (all three are some of my favourites as well, especially Dailor). Is Bostaph the fourth one?
You're close! Yeah, the first two were obvious ones as you said. Really like Bostaph as well (especially Divine Intervention but I'm also a big fan of Forbidden).

Fourth one is Bobby Jarzombek

Vlad The Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 11:39 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler View Post
Honestly, I'm not sure it's by design.

To put that kind of festival up and running demands an INSANE logistic. You gotta work with and around bands' commitments, schedules and agendas. It has to be worth it and make sense for BOTH the band and the festival time-wise and financially.

It's so tough that they actually couldn't pull it off in 2009. And several people are saying they lucked out this years because Canadian Carnage had been cancelled/postponed. But the organizers have been smart in their approach and they seem to favor "themes" specific for each day instead of a melting pot approach that might displease everyone. So this year they have classic metal and thrash metal combined for the first day and bubblegum metal for teenage girls/nu-crap on the second.

If they want to continue with the festival, they will probably eventually go for other themes which will more than likely involve more European bands. I wouldn't be surprised to see a mostly Death/Black metal day. Likewise, several power metal bands can fit with classic metal acts.

The big issue is finding a bunch of headliners available at the same time. They've set the bar pretty high with Maiden, Slayer, Cooper, Megadeth, etc... in 2008 and 2010. There aren't that many bands with commercial (by that I mean headlining) appeal in metal. And most of them are from the USA or UK.

I really hope they can pull it off, at least for 2012 if not 2011.
Good post.

I agree that the logistics in ANY event is crazy, but a festival like this must be nuts. I can't really complain all that much, since i'm not sure i'd go to a concert in the middle of the summer in the blazing heat either way.

A nice melodeth festival would make me happy, maybe in the middle of january as an homage to the frigid lands in scandinavia

overlords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 12:10 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
You're close! Yeah, the first two were obvious ones as you said. Really like Bostaph as well (especially Divine Intervention but I'm also a big fan of Forbidden).

Fourth one is Bobby Jarzombek
3/4 isn't too shabby.

I just hope this becomes an annual event...hell, the festival has renewed my love for metal. Prior to the show, the only metal bands I listened to from my playlists over the past couple of months were Mastodon, Opeth, Gojira, Fear Factory, and Kylesa. I guess that's what happens when you overplay a particular genre, even though half my ipod is full of metal.

EDIT: One last note: Fear Factory's performance was great. It's a shame Herrera and Christian-OW aren't part of the band anymore, but you can tell that Dino and Bell are the driving force behind Fear Factory...Mechanize is the most brutal Fear Factory has sounded since SOANM. Plus, Hoglan/Stroud are a better rhythm duo anyways.

Last edited by Vic Rattlehead*: 07-26-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Vic Rattlehead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 12:15 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
wow dude, you are a modern day hero

as dark as the night!! Truuueeee
Hey, I'm calling it as I see (hear) it. It's music, it's all subjective whether we talk about Megadeth, Lamb of God or even U2.

Quote:
Lamb of god/hatebreed/shadows fall=pop metal
There's nothing to say about Hatebreed, really. Shadows Fall is metalcore. In other words, pop metal. They're terrible.

Lamb of God is moderately less terrible. But it's still bland and formulaic and breaks absolutely no ground.

Quote:
And i defy you to find many more entertaining live bands than rob zombie.
He was more entertaining back with White Zombie. I saw Zombie in his prime. Anyways, to be entertained by a music show, I need great music. If I just wanted a spectacle, I could always settle for Le Cirque du Soleil, Lady Gaga, Formula 1, Marilyn Manson or a titty bar.

Quote:
Was their alot of crap? yes, but dont clump it all together.
I don't need to. Heavy MTL organizers had already done the job for me! Ya can't deny that each bill was catering to very different fan bases.

Old
07-26-2010, 12:17 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Good post.

I agree that the logistics in ANY event is crazy, but a festival like this must be nuts. I can't really complain all that much, since i'm not sure i'd go to a concert in the middle of the summer in the blazing heat either way.
A nice melodeth festival would make me happy, maybe in the middle of january as an homage to the frigid lands in scandinavia
The weather was perfect on Saturday. Sure, it was warm, but the sun was perched behind the clouds all day long, so the sun didn't do any damage.

Vic Rattlehead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 12:28 PM
Canadian_Brewtality

Quote:
Hey, I'm calling it as I see (hear) it. It's music, it's all subjective whether we talk about Megadeth, Lamb of God or even U2.

There's nothing to say about Hatebreed, really. Shadows Fall is metalcore. In other words, pop metal. They're terrible.

Lamb of God is moderately less terrible. But it's still bland and formulaic and breaks absolutely no ground.

He was more entertaining back with White Zombie. I saw Zombie in his prime. Anyways, to be entertained by a music show, I need great music. If I just wanted a spectacle, I could always settle for Le Cirque du Soleil, Lady Gaga, Formula 1, Marilyn Manson or a titty bar.

I don't need to. Heavy MTL organizers had already done the job for me! Ya can't deny that each bill was catering to very different fan bases.

Sorry man, but i dont know where metalcore becomes pop metal. I dont even know what your talking about to be honest with you. Metal bands who are popular? ala Slipknot, Korn, Deftones, etc? In that sense, ill agree with you because their music caters to a wider audience and is easier for non-metal purists to listen too.

Shadows Fall does not even remotely fit into that category, and these labels we put on metal genres are ********. Metalcore, being one of them. I also enjoy how you try and break down why LOG is no good. If you dont like them, fine, but to call them formulaic is hilarious. And you need to "break ground" to be a good band? So basically anything after 1985 is garbage by your standards because if you ask me, 99.9% of any music being made now isnt ground-breaking at all. Its been done, but you make your own unique approach and blend to the mix, and thats how you stand apart.

Funny, also, you refer to marilyn manson as "great music", but say that zombie isnt. Odd. The two are quite similar in stage shows, and musically i think you will find that both fanbases share common ground.

And FYI the second day was already an organized fest, so its not like the organizers set-out to make this "pop" friendly as you would call it.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 12:30 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
I can't really complain all that much, since i'm not sure i'd go to a concert in the middle of the summer in the blazing heat either way.
If you like the bill and get a chance, try it, man!

I'm a pretty small dude and I've been in better shape but it's just an awesome, intense experience. Because each show ends and you're pumped up and just when you think the adrenaline will stop, another show begins. There was roughly between 1 and 4 minutes between each act, thanks to the separate scenes.

You also hook up with nice people. It's even more of a brotherhood than a regular metal show. I kept bumping into some of the same people and we had fun.

As a bonus, although there aren't all that many hot chicks, the hot ones are worth it. And hot temperature means they aren't overdressed

Quote:
You know, the more I think about it, the more I think a European theme would really work. Most of those bands can't tour North America, it's just not worth the expense to try and fill a small venue. But if you get European legends all at the same day in one place, chances are people across North America might make the trip

Old
07-26-2010, 02:14 PM
PaganKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agalloch View Post
I went to both 'Festival d'Été de Québec' and HeavyMtl. Both were really awesome and I can't wait for next year already !
Same here I have seen Maiden, Santana and Rammstein in Québec then two days of Heavy MTL... But really Alice Cooper stole the show of the year in the province of Québec award for 2010.

But WAY TO MUCH METALCORE.... and Avenged Sevenfold... too bad they were not headliner because everywhere I go to not see this **** I heard them...

PaganKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 02:24 PM
Jigger77

Quote:

You know, the more I think about it, the more I think a European theme would really work. Most of those bands can't tour North America, it's just not worth the expense to try and fill a small venue. But if you get European legends all at the same day in one place, chances are people across North America might make the trip
You mean like this?

http://www.wacken.com/

Complete set list (holy ****!)

http://www.wacken.com/en/woa2010/mai...ng-order-2010/

Or is this the list? http://www.wacken.com/en/woa2010/mai.../billing-2010/

Either way that is A LOT of bands. Insane.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 02:55 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
You mean like this?

http://www.wacken.com/

Complete set list (holy ****!)

http://www.wacken.com/en/woa2010/mai...ng-order-2010/

Or is this the list? http://www.wacken.com/en/woa2010/mai.../billing-2010/

Either way that is A LOT of bands. Insane.
yeah, wacken is nuts. The videos of in flames playing at wacken are nuts.

" I want to see a sea of boiling people"

badass.

overlords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 03:03 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
yeah, wacken is nuts. The videos of in flames playing at wacken are nuts.

" I want to see a sea of boiling people"

badass.
Yeah I don't have YT here but I remember watching footage of Pantera and Metallica playing at Wacken a few years ago. The amount of people is astounding. Makes heavy MTL look like a local garage band show.

I mean damn....

http://www.minor-kco.nl/B/Vincent/Fe...Open%20Air.jpg

http://gallery.wacken.com/albums/use...lph@Larman.JPG

That second pic is just ********.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 05:06 PM
PaganKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Yeah I don't have YT here but I remember watching footage of Pantera and Metallica playing at Wacken a few years ago. The amount of people is astounding. Makes heavy MTL look like a local garage band show.

I mean damn....

http://www.minor-kco.nl/B/Vincent/Fe...Open%20Air.jpg

http://gallery.wacken.com/albums/use...lph@Larman.JPG

That second pic is just ********.
Heavy MTL will never be that big, we have a population density of 5.63 /km2 while germany has a density of 229/km2. Even if we were the craziest fan in the world we would never got close to the level of Wacken. And Europe is way more easy to acces for foreigner than Montréal. This week end we got in two days 41 250 (numbers from canoe) wich is pretty good. Give us a Metallica or Ac/Dc show next year and we'll be 100 000 there headbanging like crazy.

Old
07-27-2010, 07:09 PM
PaganKnight

It coming back next year from Metaluniverse.net

Quote:
* Ciné-Métal :
Vendredi, 22 juillet 2011
* Heavy MTL @ Parc Jean-Drapeau:
Samedi, 23 juillet & dimanche, 24 juillet 2011

Old
07-27-2010, 08:16 PM
Tyskie
#Lehnsanity

Best show by far was Anvil. Lips gave it all and the crowd was huge yet intimate. Vibrator solo was wicked.

Plus after the show I met the dirty guy from the movie. The one who looks like a ******** walrus.

Oh and anyone want a Hatebreed pick? 100 bucks.

Tyskie is offline   Reply With Quote