HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Should highlight plays factor into the balance of comparison?

Old
07-24-2010, 01:52 AM
McNuts

vCash: 500
Should highlight plays factor into the balance of comparison?

Let's say we want to compare two players, player A and player B.

Both players are the same age and have roughly the same offensive stats in terms of points, playing in the same time frame on equal teams. They have an equal amount of honors, cups, playoff points, etc. The only difference between the two is that player B makes sick individual moves that makes you say NO WAY! but player A is just as effective at producing points for his team, in a less flashy way.

All other factors being equal, should the highlight/spectacular factor come into the balance in favor of player B, or should this never be even considered at all?

McNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 07:26 AM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNuts View Post

Both players are the same age and have roughly the same offensive stats in terms of points, playing in the same time frame on equal teams. They have an equal amount of honors, cups, playoff points, etc. The only difference between the two is that player B makes sick individual moves that makes you say NO WAY! but player A is just as effective at producing points for his team, in a less flashy way.

All other factors being equal, should the highlight/spectacular factor come into the balance in favor of player B, or should this never be even considered at all?
If they are that equal in every other respect then the highlights are only giving the edge to the flashier player.. not the better one.

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 07:35 AM
jkrx

Depends on what they are. If they are game defining and repeated moves then maybe. I usually don't use it however unless comparing who were the flashier of two players. But its in no way a defining measurement because if it was, Malik would be considered a great defenseman.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 08:10 AM
Infinite Vision*

If two players are as equal as you say and one stands out quite a bit more, I would have a hard time not choosing him to be honest.

Infinite Vision* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 08:38 AM
VMBM

For me, definitely. Can't really help it. I'd take Perreault over Ratelle and Sittler (easily) and Maltsev over Mikhailov (just barely), for example.

VMBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 08:58 AM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMBM View Post
For me, definitely. Can't really help it. I'd take Perreault over Ratelle and Sittler (easily) and Maltsev over Mikhailov (just barely), for example.
Same.
I take Lafleur over Bossy, Yzerman over Sakic, Lafontaine over Turgeon ect, ect.

Players that consistently keep you on the edge of your seat should always get that extra credit imo.

(I said consistently btw, as in no Kovalev's allowed )

Rhiessan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 09:43 AM
Dennis Bonvie

Depends on who you are.

Fans and owners would pick the flashy guy, GMs and coaches would say it has no effect.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 02:03 PM
SidGenoMario

vCash: 511
In one instance yes, because highlight reel plays (Assuming we're talking about something like Jagr-esque individual efforts) are a sign that a player can produce good numbers with little to no help. If a player puts up numbers quietly, one of the reasons for being so unnoticeable might be because they fit into the system well, or rely on their linemates more often. So the flashier player would be a better individual player, not needing the players around him to produce his points.

SidGenoMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 09:26 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

vCash: 50
Some people dont value spectacular play but I do.When you see the guy just dominate the ice but scoring as much goals as another one , to me he's the best period.Hockey is also a show.

BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 10:58 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

If a guy is racking up huge point totals without ever making a phenomenal play, chances are he's a compiler.

Of course, I assume that by "spectacular" you are including all high-skill plays regardless of whether they actually make highlight reels. A lot of great skill plays are quite subtle but once you see them, jaw-droppingly impressive.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 12:24 PM
StormCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNuts View Post

As far as a way to compare players, that would be way, way down the list for me. I'd look at other factors like consistency, elevating one's game in crunch time, making others around him better, play in all 3 zones, effort level on game-in and game-out basis, etc.

Top 10 plays and YT highlights unfortunately have become the basis of comparison for many posters. There is no substitute for actually watching a player in live game situations vs. simply reviewing a collage of great plays. So many of the self-proclaimed experts are experts only in reviewing clips and in their online search abilities.

But that doesn't prevent them offering strong opinions as if they had personally scouted the player. It's like a movie reviewer who watches the trailer and tries to critique the film as if they've seen it. Not really of much value except to the guy trying to impress others who don't know any better.

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 03:06 PM
seventieslord

I think that if the results of two players are equal, and one did it by being consistent and the others' results are based partially on highlight reel plays, then that player must have "evened it out" somewhere else with some uninspired play or a lot of moves that backfired. I like the consistency better.

Now, if the guy with better moves had better results, I'd almost certainly select him.

seventieslord is online now   Reply With Quote