HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

Who is the greatest fighter in MMA? #4 [run-off vote]

View Poll Results: el guapo?
Bas Rutten 16 57.14%
Georges St-Pierre 6 21.43%
Anderson Silva 6 21.43%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-23-2010, 05:01 PM
  #1
DeathFromAbove
Registered User
 
DeathFromAbove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 9,622
vCash: 500
Who is the greatest fighter in MMA? #4 [run-off vote]

Alright, so Ensane post in the other thread basically convinced me to continue on with this . Very motivating

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 05:06 PM
  #2
Ensane
EL GUAPO
 
Ensane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 15,404
vCash: 500
I'll be a great tee ball coach one day.

Ensane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 06:16 PM
  #3
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War
 
AndyPipkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,489
vCash: 341
El Guapo

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 07:27 PM
  #4
Avs_19
Peter the Great
 
Avs_19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,476
vCash: 645
Out of these three guys I'll go with Bas but I'll continue to vote for Nog until he wins.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 08:02 PM
  #5
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 13,663
vCash: 500
Can't vote, too close to call. of course bitter Kurt will vote for Bas simply because he was a pioneer of the sport.

Maxpac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 08:41 PM
  #6
yakitate304
Crunch Time
 
yakitate304's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NY
Country: St Lucia
Posts: 13,915
vCash: 500
This is a tough one...








Minowaman.

yakitate304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 01:27 AM
  #7
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War
 
AndyPipkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,489
vCash: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Can't vote, too close to call. of course bitter Kurt will vote for Bas simply because he was a pioneer of the sport.
Please tell me you are being sarcastic.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 02:42 AM
  #8
N O T O R I O U S
╱█████★█████╲
 
N O T O R I O U S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: ╲Eminemton
Posts: 13,638
vCash: 0
Rutten

N O T O R I O U S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 08:13 AM
  #9
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 13,663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
Please tell me you are being sarcastic.
..there he goes again... pionnier, ok? Dude if you're only way to get to me is english grammar, maybe you shouldn't be mocking anybody at all?

Maxpac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 08:21 AM
  #10
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War
 
AndyPipkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,489
vCash: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
..there he goes again... pionnier, ok? Dude if you're only way to get to me is english grammar, maybe you shouldn't be mocking anybody at all?
Uh...I just meant that this his a historical type vote, not a p4p vote...So by saying he is doing it out of bitterness is incorrect, he is in the right.

Unless you were being sarcastic.

You spelled it right the first time....

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 10:37 AM
  #11
Blues0307
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: St. Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 816
vCash: 500
A Silva would challenge for the LHW title if he moved up in weight, has excellent standup, and a solid ground game. He's the prototype of what striking is going to get to in MMA eventually. GSP has elite MMA wrestling, a great ground game, and solid standup. He's setting the bar for what wrestling can bring to MMA. Bas is the man, but he's not in the class of the other two. He could do it all and just brought heat, but wasn't elite in any part of the game. This is between GSP and A Silva, I'm gonna go with Silva.

Blues0307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 12:42 PM
  #12
CommonAnomaly*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues0307 View Post
A Silva would challenge for the LHW title if he moved up in weight, has excellent standup, and a solid ground game. He's the prototype of what striking is going to get to in MMA eventually. GSP has elite MMA wrestling, a great ground game, and solid standup. He's setting the bar for what wrestling can bring to MMA. Bas is the man, but he's not in the class of the other two. He could do it all and just brought heat, but wasn't elite in any part of the game. This is between GSP and A Silva, I'm gonna go with Silva.
He is great too at defending a flying scissors takedown into a kneebar. But seriously , im offended that Bj Penn is not on this list.

CommonAnomaly* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 01:24 PM
  #13
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War
 
AndyPipkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,489
vCash: 341
^ Double sigh

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 01:45 PM
  #14
End of Line
Moderator
Human After All
 
End of Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 19,422
vCash: 500
Rutten

End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 01:58 AM
  #15
kurt
the last emperor
 
kurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,502
vCash: 400
I'll defend Bas because of his dominant run to end his career, against some of the sport's top HW fighters, while having a LHW frame. Further, he was one of the most adaptive and creative fighters the sport has ever seen. He entered the sport a largely one-dimensional fighter, but his absorption and application of new ideas was unprecedented.

Would Bas beat Fedor or Brock today? No, i don't think so. But wa he head and shoulders above his peers to a degree that GSP and Silva have not yet attained? Absolutely. Same goes with Sakuraba and Penn, but who's counting.

kurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 02:20 AM
  #16
Nalyd Psycho
Registered User
 
Nalyd Psycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: No Bandwagon
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,718
vCash: 500
I can't have Penn too high because he's his own worst enemy. Have to put both Silva's ahead of him. (Anderson Silva has been 12-0 since April '06, in two weight classes while finishing 10 of the fights.) As well as Liddell, Sakuraba and Big Nog.

But, we're all entitled to our own opinions.

__________________
Every post comes with the Nalyd Psycho Seal of Approval.
Nalyd Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 11:27 AM
  #17
kurt
the last emperor
 
kurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,502
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
I can't have Penn too high because he's his own worst enemy. Have to put both Silva's ahead of him. (Anderson Silva has been 12-0 since April '06, in two weight classes while finishing 10 of the fights.) As well as Liddell, Sakuraba and Big Nog.

But, we're all entitled to our own opinions.
I definitely agree about Sakuraba. Not sure about Nogueria, as he was only the top of his division for a very short period of time. Chuck Liddell had inferior competition in the UFC, and his loss to Rampage in PRIDE during his prime, takes him down a peg.

Anderson Silva is the only one who has dominated his weight class for as long, and still is, so I certainly put the spider slightly ahead of GSP. But, I don't think he has fought the same quality of opposition as BJ. If/when Anderson beats Sonnen and hopefully fights Belfort, and also gets wins against a few top-5 LHWs, then he eclipses BJ. I definitely understand the argument though, and it's close. The comparable size and weight cut each fighter does to stay in their division leads me to give Penn more recognition as well.

kurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 12:20 PM
  #18
Kamal007
God Level
 
Kamal007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,372
vCash: 50
This shouldn't even have GSP or Anderson. It should be between Bas and Wanderlei.

Kamal007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 03:29 PM
  #19
Nalyd Psycho
Registered User
 
Nalyd Psycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: No Bandwagon
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,718
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
I definitely agree about Sakuraba. Not sure about Nogueria, as he was only the top of his division for a very short period of time. Chuck Liddell had inferior competition in the UFC, and his loss to Rampage in PRIDE during his prime, takes him down a peg.

Anderson Silva is the only one who has dominated his weight class for as long, and still is, so I certainly put the spider slightly ahead of GSP. But, I don't think he has fought the same quality of opposition as BJ. If/when Anderson beats Sonnen and hopefully fights Belfort, and also gets wins against a few top-5 LHWs, then he eclipses BJ. I definitely understand the argument though, and it's close. The comparable size and weight cut each fighter does to stay in their division leads me to give Penn more recognition as well.
It's unfair to punish Noguira for being behind Emelianenko. Just as Brad Park is still an all-time great despite no Norris trophies.

Liddell is because I also value impact on the sport beyond raw ability.

Nalyd Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:51 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.