HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Brock Trotter to the KHL

Old
07-25-2010, 11:21 PM
ruski17

vCash: 500
Maybe we should just trade him. Trotter might fit in well with another team that needs a top-9 guy. Trotter played well during his 2 games with Montreal and on a team that is re-building, he could be a good player. Maybe we could get a pick or 19 year old prospect.

ruski17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 05:42 AM
Komarov47

He wouldn't crack the line-up anyway, Desharnais was in front of him for the first call from Hamilton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski17 View Post
Maybe we should just trade him. Trotter might fit in well with another team that needs a top-9 guy. Trotter played well during his 2 games with Montreal and on a team that is re-building, he could be a good player. Maybe we could get a pick or 19 year old prospect.
I wander what team you have in mind... big numbers in AHL doesn't mean anything---> Alex Giroux is one of the best scorer in AHL for 4 years, he never achieve to crack an NHL line-up... If Trotter leave for KHL, it's because no one would take a bet on him...

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 06:35 PM
ranndino

Send a message via AIM to ranndino
As a Dinamo Riga fan I'm getting excited about this signing, which has now been confirmed, the more I find out about him. His little Youtube compilation package looks quite nice, as well. I think he's gonna do very well for us.

Also, for those who are ignorant & always trashing any KHL destination without any knowledge Riga, which is the capital of Latvia, is a beautiful city with lots to do (coffee shops, restaurants, nightclubs that attract top performers from all over there world), tons of pretty girls, many people who speak good English & he's getting $250K at 26% flat tax + a free apt + a free car. Not too shabby a deal at all. Not every KHL city is some industrial dump in frozen tundra.

Last edited by ranndino: 07-26-2010 at 06:52 PM.
ranndino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 06:48 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranndino View Post
As a Dinamo Riga fan I'm getting excited about this signing, which has now been confirmed, the more I find out about him. His little Youtube compilation package looks quite nice, as well. I think he's gonna do very well for us.

Also, for those who are ignorant & always trashing any KHL destination without any knowledge Riga is a very nice city to play in. It's a beautiful city with lots to do, tons of pretty girls & he's getting $250K tax free + a free apt + a free car. Not too shabby a deal at all. Not every KHL city is some industrial dump in frozen tundra.
Wow free appartment and free car? Now thats a hell of a raise. Hell i'd go there.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 08:37 PM
dcal64

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranndino View Post

Also, for those who are ignorant & always trashing any KHL destination without any knowledge Riga, which is the capital of Latvia, is a beautiful city with lots to do (coffee shops, restaurants, nightclubs that attract top performers from all over there world), tons of pretty girls, many people who speak good English & he's getting $250K at 26% flat tax + a free apt + a free car. Not too shabby a deal at all. Not every KHL city is some industrial dump in frozen tundra.
Having coffee shops and restaurants does not impress people about a city, unless they are Amsterdam type coffee shops

dcal64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 09:23 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
Wow free appartment and free car? Now thats a hell of a raise. Hell i'd go there.
When you were making maybe $60k last year, it actually is a really big raise. It means he doesn't have to spend part of his $250k salary on those expenses. Does your employer / mother give you a free apartment and car?

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 09:32 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
When you were making maybe $60k last year, it actually is a really big raise. It means he doesn't have to spend part of his $250k salary on those expenses. Does your employer / mother give you a free apartment and car?
did you take yarf's post as sarcasm? Doesn't look like it was.

overlords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 09:38 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Yeah but the apartment is a tiny 1 1/2 in the seedy part of town and the car is a used LADA...

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 09:43 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
did you take yarf's post as sarcasm? Doesn't look like it was.
yea, I was gonna tell him he forgot his

Honestly I'd go to Russia with no salary and a free car and apartment for a year.

Old
07-27-2010, 12:33 PM
habs93

Brock Trotter is 5'10" & 185 lbs unless he grows at least another 2 inches with a
weight gain of 20 lbs plus he is going to have a tough time making The NHL. There was a reason why he was never drafted by a NHL team & Montreal signed him as a free agent........

habs93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 10:13 PM
Lucius

Anyone ever hear a peep from Trotter or his agent or even the Habs about why he signed here? It's still a bit confusing to me.

He was still a contract or two from being a hit or miss.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 10:20 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Anyone ever hear a peep from Trotter or his agent or even the Habs about why he signed here? It's still a bit confusing to me.

He was still a contract or two from being a hit or miss.
He wasn't close to making the big team. Agents know this kind of stuff. He wouldn't have signed there if it wasn't the best thing for his career. There is a reason he went undrafted.

Old
07-28-2010, 06:18 AM
LeMAD

Trotter will probably never become a regular NHLer, but he might be good enough to be a top player in the KHL and make millions per season. Maybe he realizes it?

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 07:22 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
A 200 sq ft bachelor and a used Lada !!!

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 07:23 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
He wasn't close to making the big team. Agents know this kind of stuff. He wouldn't have signed there if it wasn't the best thing for his career. There is a reason he went undrafted.
The Habs have plenty of those borderline NHL-AHL centers: Maxwell, Desharnais, Fortier, Massť....

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 08:22 AM
Lucius

Quote:
Not saying he was destined to be a star, but he just had a very good AHL season and saw some NHL action. Had he resigned, I think at the very least, he would have been in our top three for an AHL recall and probably seen 5-10 NHL games.

The point is, the jury was still out on him. This isn't like a Corey Locke who has clearly shown no ability to go the next level. It's weird to see a guy go over this early in his career who is not from there.

Thus, I wondered if anyone read a quote.

Old
07-28-2010, 08:48 AM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Not saying he was destined to be a star, but he just had a very good AHL season and saw some NHL action. Had he resigned, I think at the very least, he would have been in our top three for an AHL recall and probably seen 5-10 NHL games.

The point is, the jury was still out on him. This isn't like a Corey Locke who has clearly shown no ability to go the next level. It's weird to see a guy go over this early in his career who is not from there.

Thus, I wondered if anyone read a quote.
1) $$$$$$$ He is basically multiplying his take home pay by a factor of almost 10 times (adding in lower cost of living & free appartment/car). This is real money we were talking, 6 figures for a guy who was making maybe $40,000 after tax last year.

2) The KHL is still really good pro hockey, arguably better than the AHL. If he lights up the KHL he might get some NHL interest. The only downside is he will not have a chance at NHL call-ups but if the Canadiens stay healthier this year he may not get any.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 08:53 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
It's not necessarily a bad thing for his development. It's a bit of a surprise since he was a top-line AHLer and saw some time with the big club, even if he probably wasn't going to make the full-time roster anytime soon...but hey, it's his life.

Who knows, maybe he'll re-sign with us after next year, we'll see. Best of luck to him.

I'd like to hear some comment from Trotter and his agent or the Habs as well, more to find out how amicable the split is than anything.

Last edited by hototogisu: 07-28-2010 at 09:26 AM.
hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 08:55 AM
HCH

I don't understand why so many posters need to trash Trotter's decision. He probably saw the writing on the wall with the Habs. With so many small forwards signed to long term contracts what were the chances that one more was going to be added.

The place isn't a dump. Compare some of the pictures of Riga (http://www.rigaphotos.com/) to what you might find in Detroit or even Hamilton. You can laugh about his Lada and his 200 square foot apartment, but he will probably have a nicer car and nicer apartment than many of the posters who are trying to minimize his decision.

In the meantime, he may continue to develop and eventually find his place in the NHL. While he is doing that, he earns 4x as much as he would in Hamilton. It will probably be a good move for him.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 08:56 AM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
1) $$$$$$$ He is basically multiplying his take home pay by a factor of almost 10 times (adding in lower cost of living & free appartment/car). This is real money we were talking, 6 figures for a guy who was making maybe $40,000 after tax last year.

2) The KHL is still really good pro hockey, arguably better than the AHL. If he lights up the KHL he might get some NHL interest. The only downside is he will not have a chance at NHL call-ups but if the Canadiens stay healthier this year he may not get any.
Right, I get all these arguments. There is a four page thread that goes over them.

That was not at all what I asked. I asked if anyone read comment from him or his agent.

Apparently not.

Old
07-28-2010, 09:58 AM
Danadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
The Habs have plenty of those borderline NHL-AHL centers: Maxwell, Desharnais, Fortier, Massť....
Those two are far from borderline NHL at the moment.

Danadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 10:24 AM
v-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub City Hab View Post
The place isn't a dump. Compare some of the pictures of Riga (http://www.rigaphotos.com/) to what you might find in Detroit or even Hamilton. You can laugh about his Lada and his 200 square foot apartment, but he will probably have a nicer car and nicer apartment than many of the posters who are trying to minimize his decision.
Exactly. To even begin to compare Riga to Detroit or Hamilton is an insult (well, the Old Town and City Center anyway. The shady neighbourhood by their arena is pretty close). Architecturally speaking, there's not a city in Canada that comes close to it's beauty. And just to kill any illusions about Soviet era apartments, this is the building where the other imports have been staying the last few years: www.rentinriga.lv

Any way, Trotter should do well there provided he's ready to work for it. Too many of their imports last year (Tyler Arnason for instance, and Lee Sweatt, who somehow managed to sign with the Canucks this year) went over thinking they can slack off, and it didn't work. The import guys are expected to be leaders. If they wanted another capable, but lackluster guy, they have plenty of domestics to choose from. Guys like Matt Ellison worked hard and got better contracts with richer KHL clubs (and then proceeded to have an even better season), while the other guys didn't last the year, and are now playing two or three leagues lower in Europe.

v-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 10:42 AM
TankEller*

So... now, who plays on our third line along with Eller and Boyd?

And don't come and tell me Pacioretty... The guy needs AHL seasoning, it's painfully obvious.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 11:00 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
Maybe this news isn't that bad. I'm not sure about the quality of play but I'm assuming KHL is closer to the NHL quality of play than the AHL, meaning it'll be a bigger challenge for him. Canadian kids don't grow up wishing to play in Russia so I bet he wanted to make a few bucks while he was still developing, and then he'll come to NA as an NHL ready player (hopefully) and his rights will belong to Montreal. It's not good news for the bulldogs but this move may have been beneficial for the habs!

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 11:18 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
So... now, who plays on our third line along with Eller and Boyd?

And don't come and tell me Pacioretty... The guy needs AHL seasoning, it's painfully obvious.
The same person before Trotter left for the KHL.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote