HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Sabres' forwards

Closed Thread

Old
03-21-2005, 07:54 PM
Takeo

vCash: 500
I am absolutely baffled by anyone who would keep Grier over Pyatt. Totally lost for words.

Old
03-21-2005, 07:56 PM
The Spaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo
I am absolutely baffled by anyone who would keep Grier over Pyatt. Totally lost for words.
Consistency both offensively and physical play.

Old
03-21-2005, 07:59 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo
I wouldn't want to, especially at their current salaries. Pyatt has way more offensive potential.

Old
03-21-2005, 08:04 PM
signalIInoise
killed by signal 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaz
Consistency both offensively and physical play.
That, and for the organization itself, Grier is a fantastic community ambassador -- he was a huge loss for the Capitals last year. It remains to be seen whether he'll have the same effect in Buffalo, but in DC, his impact was greater off the ice. The Sabres haven't had a guy like him since Razor (admittedly that hasn't been long).

Old
03-21-2005, 08:23 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Quote:
Originally Posted by signaliinoise
That, and for the organization itself, Grier is a fantastic community ambassador -- he was a huge loss for the Capitals last year. It remains to be seen whether he'll have the same effect in Buffalo, but in DC, his impact was greater off the ice. The Sabres haven't had a guy like him since Razor (admittedly that hasn't been long).
While that's all well and good, the team should be concerned first and foremost with winning. Frankly, people like a winner more than a nice guy, as far as getting people interested in the team.

And I do like Grier quite a lot, and was glad to learn we had picked him up.

Old
03-21-2005, 08:29 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

At that, I'm sure the Caps will have a player step up soon and become what Grier was to the community. Similarly, whether we get rid of Grier or not, someone will do the same here in Buffalo.

Old
03-21-2005, 09:11 PM
signalIInoise
killed by signal 2

To be fair, that's not all he offers. Yeah, Grier is never going to be a huge scoring guy, but he is a gutter. Maybe Pyatt has a nicer set of tools, but you've gotta use them. Mike does.

And if someone's gonna be that ambassador-type player, who? I don't see any current Sabres even capable of community-mindedness. No one was sad to see Rob Ray's 3-point years go away -- he was that guy. If Buffalo gives Grier a chance, trust me -- they'll see the class act they've got.

Old
03-21-2005, 09:17 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Quote:
To be fair, that's not all he offers. Yeah, Grier is never going to be a huge scoring guy, but he is a gutter. Maybe Pyatt has a nicer set of tools, but you've gotta use them. Mike does.

And if someone's gonna be that ambassador-type player, who? I don't see any current Sabres even capable of community-mindedness. No one was sad to see Rob Ray's 3-point years go away -- he was that guy. If Buffalo gives Grier a chance, trust me -- they'll see the class act they've got.
I agree, Taylor doesn't do half as much as he could with either his body or his hands. But with lots of solid, hard-nosed players coming up through the ranks, like Paille, Gaustad, and Thorburn, I'd rather get rid of Grier than Pyatt. This is taking into account Grier's paycheck, which was a lot last season and will be far too much if we have a salary cap. My opinion would change a bit if he took less money.

I don't know who will step up and be a community leader, but it always seems someone does. Regardless, these guys are hockey players, not missionaries, and their value should be judged as such. Anything else they bring to the table is a bonus.

Not everyone will agree with me here, but I bet most GMs would.

Old
04-06-2005, 08:51 AM
Takeo

Hecht---Briere---Dumont
Vanek---Drury---Pominville
Pyatt---Roy---Afinogenov
Peters---Gaustad---Mair
Kotalik, Bartovic

The 2nd line sort of reminds me of when Drury, Tanguay, and Hejduk broke-out together in the 2000 season. I think that line has that kind of potential. If the NHL ever resumes, it's time to usher in a new era with Vanek, JPom, and Gaustad.

Old
04-06-2005, 09:33 AM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:
I do disagree with that. I think his value peaked at trade deadline last season, and there's only one way for Miro to go. The rest of his career has Turgeon written all over it, as much as it pains me to say it. This is what happens when the player gets bigger than the team, especially in his own estimation. The window is closing fast for Satan to ever be involved in a 'blockbuster' trade -- soon, the best he can hope for is a salary dump.
That time has already passed. His contract is too big, and with a new CBA and likely cap, i don't see a move happening at all. And the fact that he may well be a UFA when hockey resumes too. It all points to low trade value.

What do you seriously think we could get for him? Because i tell you, its much less than he is worth.

Quote:
I dispute that he's the Sabres best player. He's certainly not their best performer so long as Briere and Hecht are still skating. He's far and away not the hardest worker, with Drury and James Patrick, and hell -- most of the team ahead of him there. It used to be that he was the most talented, but I think that gap has closed as well.
He is by far and away our most talented player, at least until Vanek breaks out. Sure he doesn't always show it, but when he does show it, its huge for our team. And i think he works much harder, and is more of a team guy than he is ever given credit for

Quote:
No, I'm not saying we could get Jokinen -- it's what I'd like to see. I lean towards Morrow, though
Not gonna happen

Old
04-06-2005, 09:35 AM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon
I agree, Taylor doesn't do half as much as he could with either his body or his hands. But with lots of solid, hard-nosed players coming up through the ranks, like Paille, Gaustad, and Thorburn, I'd rather get rid of Grier than Pyatt. This is taking into account Grier's paycheck, which was a lot last season and will be far too much if we have a salary cap. My opinion would change a bit if he took less money.

I don't know who will step up and be a community leader, but it always seems someone does. Regardless, these guys are hockey players, not missionaries, and their value should be judged as such. Anything else they bring to the table is a bonus.

Not everyone will agree with me here, but I bet most GMs would.
I agree with you, for what its worth

Old
04-08-2005, 09:35 AM
CelticSabre
aka MillerTime

Gone: Satan , I highly doubt seeing us re-sign Miro when the nhl resumes. If there is a cap i dont think Miro would take alot less to stay with us considering it seemed like he wanted out anyway at the end of last season.

Kotalik: this guy is expendable. His first year was good when noone caught onto his snapper but now he's useless. We have enough forward depth to get rid of him.

Future lines: Dumont Briere Hecht
Vanek Drury Connolly
Pyatt Roy Afinogenov
Peters Mair Grier

Bubble: Grier I think Gaustad might be ready to make the jump and if so Mike becomes expendable , especially if we are in a cap based nhl and his current contract

Connolly I know alot of people are really fed up with him but in my mind I have to give him another shot. This kid has loads of potential and he hasnt played since the bankrupcy debacle and everyone looked horrible that year

Pyatt The same goes with Taylor. He has the potential and size to be something special one day and one more year keeping him around i dont think would hurt.

Vanek:he is on the bubble to make the team. There is no denying his goal scoring ability seeing as he's already pumping in the goals in the ahl level and beeing brought into playing with nhl players on his line would help him make the jump to Buffalo . I think having T.C on a line with him getting him the puck would be a deadly combo with Drury doing the grinding work.

Old
04-08-2005, 05:08 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

for some reason i can see buffalo trying to play vanek with Kotalik
and satan with pyatt

Old
04-08-2005, 05:23 PM
eSabre

Send a message via AIM to eSabre
I cannot understand why anyone would want to get rid of Ales Kotalik.He's got possibly the best shot on the team. Get him a playmaker and you'll get around 25-30 goals a year out of him. The guy's got a knack for getting open and has a deceivingly quick release. Not to mention, he's fairly easy on the budget.

Old
04-09-2005, 01:32 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

I'm actually stunned at some of the things said here. No, i'm no Scotty Bowman, but come on people. If you claim to be a Sabres fan, ACT LIKE ONE!

FIRST OFF,

Chris Drury and Daniel Briere are not only the foundation of this team's current existence, they are looked at as the heart of the squad. Drury is worth the price, and we need to place the right people around him. Second, we haven't made the best trades in the past by any means. Our top line isn't Pyatt, Kozlov, Connolly. We have who we have, and we don't OWE it to anyone to just hand them ice time due to poor trades. Our lines (when we come back) should be:

Satan - Drury - Grier
This line can and should be dangerous. I'm not a huge advocator of Miro, but since we have him, we might as well put him in a useful place. Grier is surprisingly skilled with the puck, as are his potential linemates. Mikey can also grind, as we all know. Drury to Satan, Grier with the rebound.

Hecht - Briere - Dumont
Why fix what's not broken? This line tore it up, on and off the ice, and should be kept together. Matching this line up against other teams second and third lines is DYNAMIC.

Vanek - Roy - Afinogenov
Making this line work is KEY. Everyone knows the potential of each of these players, and I think that the missing piece to the Afino/Roy match is Tommy Vanek. We have no time to waste 'developing' Vanek. He's not a solid defensive forward, simple as that. Cunneyworth can only help him so much, and I feel that it won't be significant enough. WE NEED GOALS, and Vanek gets them.

Peters - Mair - Kotalik
I wouldn't mind this line out on the ice at all. Mair is a balls-to-the-wall hockey player, and should have the 'C' slapped on his sweater. Peters is fun to watch and plays his role well. Kotalik....well, Kotalik is going to be named Ales Tim Taylor Kotaconnolyatt. Those three will rotate.

I liked someone's idea of the Connolly on a top line thing. Not a bad idea, but I personally don't have enough patience for him.

Zhitnik - Tallinder
Jillson - Kalinin
Brown - Fitzpatrick
McKee - Campbell

Our D is ehhhhhh....wouldn't mind another vet back there at all. What can be said about our defense is that the drop off between the 4th D and 8th D isn't horribly significant. Any 6 can dress at any night, and still have the same production level, which cannot be said about many teams around the league.

Sorry for the novella, but I get fiesty.

BRING - PECA - BACK '06

Old
04-09-2005, 02:08 AM
cybresabre
Sir Hellcat

Send a message via ICQ to cybresabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuddy27
Grier is surprisingly skilled with the puck,
I agree. Well, so long as you include An international organization composed of most of the countries of the world that was founded in 1945 to promote peace, security, and economic development as a prefix to the fourth word.

Closed Thread