HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal was #1 priority for Éric Bélanger

Closed Thread

Old
07-27-2010, 05:20 AM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

vCash: 500
Montreal was #1 priority for Éric Bélanger

According to this Richard Labbé's paper. Bélanger and the Habs discussed together, but apparently it was impossible to sign him because of the salary cap.

I wonder why the Habs showed him any interest if they knew they couldn't pay him. Were they expecting him to accept a lower salary?

So the Habs were actually shopping for a 3rd line center before signing Plekanec... interesting... So I'm not the only one thinking it's a major gamble to leave the spot open for an unproven rookie... (Eller)

Old
07-27-2010, 05:27 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
According to this Richard Labbé's paper. Bélanger and the Habs discussed together, but apparently it was impossible to sign him because of the salary cap.

I wonder why the Habs showed him any interest if they knew they couldn't pay him. Were they expecting him to accept a lower salary?

So the Habs were actually shopping for a 3rd line center before signing Plekanec... interesting... So I'm not the only one thinking it's a major gamble to leave the spot open for an unproven rookie... (Eller)
another JP Dumont ?

Old
07-27-2010, 06:40 AM
Lars Eller Superstar*

Bélanger would have been IDEAL on the 3rd line

But because of the REDICULOUS 5.5 MILLION salary of HAMRLIK, it won't happen.

Old
07-27-2010, 06:47 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars Eller Superstar View Post
Bélanger would have been IDEAL on the 3rd line

But because of the REDICULOUS 5.5 MILLION salary of HAMRLIK, it won't happen.
Yeah, at least next season his cap won't be an issue anymore... but still I wonder what are the salary demands of Belanger...

Old
07-27-2010, 06:49 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Wow, to think we could have had, the one and only ERIC BELANGER ? Damn there goes our 2010/2011 campaign.

Old
07-27-2010, 06:53 AM
Komarov47

i wonder why Washington didn't keep him?

Old
07-27-2010, 06:53 AM
Lars Eller Superstar*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic View Post
Wow, to think we could have had, the one and only ERIC BELANGER ? Damn there goes our 2010/2011 campaign.
Belanger is a strong player for the bottom six and fills our needs especially on the faceoff and would have been a perfect 2nd PK center for our team

Old
07-27-2010, 07:03 AM
HABitual Fan

The fact he is still unsigned would suggest his salary demands are too high. He is not worth anything more than 1M per year, anything higher and you are better off with Dominic Moore. If he wants to play here that badly, and given all the teams banging down his agents door, let him sign for the same money one of the AHL kids would get, since this is the roster spot he would take.

Old
07-27-2010, 07:06 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

i dont understand. What do you wanna do with Eller then?
throw him aside because we have Belanger?

By all accounts he is ready to step in, if we dont give our youth a chance, our team will never take a step further. You can compete so long with the smolinskis, johnsons, bonks, metropolits, belangers of this world. At some point you have to be confident enough to have the kids step up

Old
07-27-2010, 07:16 AM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
That's really a shame to hear. He would have filled the Habs bottom 6 out nicely, had he signed with them.

I guess things will look a whole lot more clear after this season, when contracts run up and the Habs have some decent money to play around with.

Old
07-27-2010, 07:25 AM
SeriousFan09

Why didn't we take him? Because he wasn't that good and would've cost too much. Can't build a team top to bottom in FA, Laps is bigger and cheaper for the 4th and Lars Eller was acquired to take over the 3rd. You need some young talent in your system to save some money. Also, the team needs size on the checking lines and Belanger barely delivers any hits.

Besides, his wearing the CH isn't going to make him a better player, we've had enough disasters in that area to know that.

Old
07-27-2010, 07:35 AM
Chomsky

I lol'ed when I read that his agent expects him to have a 25 goals, 60 pts season.

Ya right.

Old
07-27-2010, 07:54 AM
Belso

The Habs will have more cap room next season when Hamrlik's contract will expire.

But until then, The habs are suck with it unless they fond someone willing to trade for him which is unlikely...

It would be nice if the Habs could shed Gomez's salary also... But it's even harder to move than Hamrlik's...

Old
07-27-2010, 08:14 AM
AntonCH

If we keep filling spots with retreads and UFA's when are the kids going to get a chance?
Eller / Boyd as is projected by many on here is fine by me

This will be the year of the kid

Old
07-27-2010, 08:23 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
I guess 1 more francophone is too much for habs management.
What are you complaining about? The habs discussed with Belanger which meant they showed interesting. Belanger isn't the first player they refused because of salary cap concerns(see Ellis and Gagner).

The discussions themself show that the habs were interested in acquiring his service, I strongly doubt that the reason they decided to part from the discussions is because he's french.

You see my point, has some legitimacy because I've given you two other cases in which discussions ended between players because of salary cap concerns, giving my point much more weight and plausibility.

Your point on the other hand is based on pure speculation and holds no other logical premises in order for it to be taken seriously.

Please go elsewhere if every one of your posts will be about language, francophones and your insecurity/xenophobia.

Old
07-27-2010, 08:33 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
LOL. Because, of course, the opposite is unthinkable. There's no way Belanger's demands were unreasonable to begin with. I mean, quebec players NEVER try to leverage a higher salary by playing the local boy factor with the Montreal media.

Old
07-27-2010, 08:35 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
If we keep filling spots with retreads and UFA's when are the kids going to get a chance?
Eller / Boyd as is projected by many on here is fine by me

This will be the year of the kid
We have a winner!

Looking forward to seeing what the young players can do.

Old
07-27-2010, 08:52 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Belanger is a good player and I would have liked to have him here, but there's obviously no fit personnel-wise, not even taking the cap into consideration.

Old
07-27-2010, 08:53 AM
ThaDevilGirl

Everybody says that he could be a nice bottom 6 player but the reality is that his agent and Belanger thought he could be a 60 pts player. He wanted to be the Habs second center! That would be awful; Plekanec is much better thant Belanger. He needs to realize that this kind of spot will not be given to him.

Old
07-27-2010, 08:54 AM
shutehinside

So Habs are idiots for not signing him like all the other 29 teams. Evey think Montreal was a priority because he thought he might not have a team to sign with that wasn't trying to reach the cap floor and he thought that being French gave him a better chance to sign with Montreal than it would with any other team? Last I saw he's still ufa. I doubt he's been held up due to Kovy not being signed yet.

Old
07-27-2010, 08:54 AM
gusfring

Hamrlik's contract is seriously hurting this franchise...

Old
07-27-2010, 08:56 AM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Hamrlik's contract is seriously hurting this franchise...
This has nothing to do with Hamrlik. belanger wants more money than what he's worth.

Old
07-27-2010, 09:03 AM
chpartisan

Looks like Bélanger is looking to settle for a one year deal at around 2M$, I wonder how much he wanted on July 1st?

His agent sees him as a second line center. Did he figure he could replace Plekanec?

Old
07-27-2010, 09:04 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

everytime we cant sign someone, we need the "wahhh hamrlik contract" emoticon.

get over it, theyre way worse contracts out there.
Not to mention the combo of Gomez-Cammo-Gionta-Pleks-Kost (5 of the top 6) make up roughly half of the team`s cap. More like 45% but still.
There in lies the true problem.

hence why we finally need young players to step up and make an impact.

Old
07-27-2010, 09:07 AM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

I would've rather kept Moore than signed Belanger, Moore fit in awesome with this team and probably would've came cheaper... but I'm all for letting the kids battle it out for the remaining forward spots on the team and would like to keep as much cap space open as possible for next off-season.

Closed Thread