HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Montreal was #1 priority for Éric Bélanger

Closed Thread

Old
07-27-2010, 08:09 AM
gusfring

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
This has nothing to do with Hamrlik. belanger wants more money than what he's worth.
I meant in general...

Old
07-27-2010, 08:09 AM
Turboflex*

can we hurry up with a quebec city team so these french "patriot" posters go away?

Belanger is a very good 3rd liner but he wasn't signed for the same reason Moore wasn't, he probably would be redundant (to Eller) and you can't spend 2 million on a unneccessary luxury like that unless you are a dumb team like Toronto and like last place.

If the Habs need a Belanger type player they can always get him as a rental later on.

Old
07-27-2010, 08:16 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Hamrlik's contract is seriously hurting this franchise...
What does Hamrlik's contract have to do with not wanting to pay 2+ mil for a 4th line center. The Habs didn't trade for Eller to stick him on the 4th line, let him play and develop, just like Subban and Price, they will all be key players down the road.

3-4 years ago if we had signed a veteran off the scrap heap instead of giving Plekanec prime ice time he wouldn't have had 2 70 point seasons.

Old
07-27-2010, 08:16 AM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 1140

I can't read French. Can you guys tell me if that article mentions any other NHL teams interested in Belanger?

Thanks!

Old
07-27-2010, 08:22 AM
chpartisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1 View Post
I can't read French. Can you guys tell me if that article mentions any other NHL teams interested in Belanger?

Thanks!
Two teams are apparently interested in Belanger, but his agent wouldn`t name them.

Old
07-27-2010, 08:25 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
can we hurry up with a quebec city team so these french "patriot" posters go away?

Belanger is a very good 3rd liner but he wasn't signed for the same reason Moore wasn't, he probably would be redundant (to Eller) and you can't spend 2 million on a unneccessary luxury like that unless you are a dumb team like Toronto and like last place.

If the Habs need a Belanger type player they can always get him as a rental later on.
I agree on the rental part. Trust your young players and fill holes around the midway point. The last 2 years they added Schneider and Moore and both helped fill a need. Schneider helped the PP and got us in the playoffs, Moore provided depth and 2 way play, helped us get to the semi finals.

Old
07-27-2010, 08:53 AM
Marksman

Good decision. Our forward lineup has plenty of small under 6' players, theres no more room for those.

Old
07-27-2010, 09:00 AM
alexstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars Eller Superstar View Post
Bélanger would have been IDEAL on the 3rd line

But because of the REDICULOUS 5.5 MILLION salary of HAMRLIK, it won't happen.
Yeah, this is starting to frustrate me too.

5.5M to Hamrlik and O'Byrne/Carle/Weber on the bench

I don't dislike Hamrlik, but to me, a guy like Moore or Belanger could potentially bring more to the table (considering the "depth" we have at D)
And I'm not even talking about how we could have got Gagné for free or signed Frolov...

I mean, you're a GM and the offer is :
O'Byrne and Gagné
for
Hamrlik

what do you choose?

I wanna cry.

And don't get me started on Spacek. He better practice his shot this summer.

Old
07-27-2010, 09:01 AM
Habaddict

If no one agrees to his salary expectations,perhaps he'll
still be available come training camp. Then maybe we can
sing him to a Moore like contract.IIRC that was one year,1.1 mil.
There would be no need to worry about him taking a kid's
place on the team.If some youngster outplays him then he can win the spot. Belanger would be tradeable with that type of contract. In the the meantime we can improve our face-off ability,and appease those who want another francaphone.

Old
07-27-2010, 09:03 AM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

After reviewing his points and goals scored why would we go and get him ? Why not just resign Metropolit cause he was great on the PP and Scored like 15-20 goals last years and cost 1 $ less then Belanger !?!

Old
07-27-2010, 09:07 AM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by chpartisan View Post
Two teams are apparently interested in Belanger, but his agent wouldn`t name them.
And probably 2 bottom teams as his agent mentionned that he will be getting more ice time (PP time) and a chance to prove he can be a 60pts guy. Only a bottom team would do that with Belanger.

He wants a short term deal above the 1.75M he did last year to prove he can produce and get an even bigger contract after that. Too expensive!

Sorry, but NOT interest at all. Who cares is french! I much prefer giving Eller a chance.

Old
07-27-2010, 09:08 AM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaddict View Post
If no one agrees to his salary expectations,perhaps he'll
still be available come training camp. Then maybe we can
sing him to a Moore like contract.IIRC that was one year,1.1 mil.
There would be no need to worry about him taking a kid's
place on the team.If some youngster outplays him then he can win the spot. Belanger would be tradeable with that type of contract. In the the meantime we can improve our face-off ability,and appease those who want another francaphone.
His agent said that 2 teams are interested and Belanger should make is decision in the next 10 days. He will be locked up by soemone soon for probably 2M.

Old
07-27-2010, 09:11 AM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
If Metro does not get PP time, he has 6 goals...
Metro on PP means your team is bottom tier.
Or that you desperatly lack right handed shots

Old
07-27-2010, 09:11 AM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

But it also means 15 to 20 Goals in a Season . But i do have to agree . The Habs lineup was better last year then this year .

Old
07-27-2010, 09:17 AM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
But it also means 15 to 20 Goals in a Season . But i do have to agree . The Habs lineup was better last year then this year .
15 at the most if you look at his career stats. Could have been 11 goals also...who knows?

I have confidance that Eller can produce as much as Belanger, and even more. Besides, where would Eller play with Belanger in the lineup? The guy is a center, not a winger and prefers to play center.

Old
07-27-2010, 09:18 AM
la25ecoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
If we keep filling spots with retreads and UFA's when are the kids going to get a chance?
Eller / Boyd as is projected by many on here is fine by me

This will be the year of the kid
no it's next year when Hammer and Gill will not be back. The avg age will drop even lower!!! We're getting young!

Old
07-27-2010, 09:18 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstream View Post

I don't dislike Hamrlik, but to me, a guy like Moore or Belanger could potentially bring more to the table (considering the "depth" we have at D)
And I'm not even talking about how we could have got Gagné for free or signed Frolov...

O'Byrne and Gagné
for
Hamrlik

what do you choose?

I wanna cry.

O'Byrne, Carle and Weber can just barely play 15 minutes per game, when Hammer can play up to 25 minutes if neccesary.

You need to think of better example for an "offer". Gagne makes almost as much as Hammer and O'Byrne is already part of our roster. If Hamrlik goes, you will need to find another top 4 defenceman, or its just a lateral move.

Old
07-27-2010, 09:21 AM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman View Post
O'Byrne, Carle and Weber can just barely play 15 minutes per game, when Hammer can play up to 25 minutes if neccesary.

You need to think of better example for an "offer". Gagne makes almost as much as Hammer and O'Byrne is already part of our roster. If Hamrlik goes, you will need to find another top 4 defenceman, or its just a lateral move.
Even worst than a lateral move. We have no one close to replace Hamrlik's talent and play time, but we do have players slightly inferior to play wing instead of Gagné.

Replacing Hamrlik with Gagné actually makes this team worst.

Old
07-27-2010, 09:21 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstream View Post

O'Byrne and Gagné
for
Hamrlik

what do you choose?

I wanna cry.

You are vastly underrating Hamrlik and Spacek's contributions last year. Without those 2 guys, we are 15 points out of the playoffs on January 1st by the time Markov returns. I'm sure Hamrlik's late season struggles were related to all the ice time he logged early on and all the pucks and bumps he took playing all those minutes.

Is he worth a 5.5 mil cap hit? Definitely not, but he is not replaceable by O'byrne, Weber or Carle.

Same applies to Spacek.

Old
07-27-2010, 09:26 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by chpartisan View Post
Looks like Bélanger is looking to settle for a one year deal at around 2M$, I wonder how much he wanted on July 1st?

His agent sees him as a second line center. Did he figure he could replace Plekanec?
Well he would have become disenchanted with Montreal pretty quickly, then. He could have been very permanently slotted as 4th line centre there, depending on the performance of Eller.

Old
07-27-2010, 09:26 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
Even worst than a lateral move. We have no one close to replace Hamrlik's talent and play time, but we do have players slightly inferior to play wing instead of Gagné.

Replacing Hamrlik with Gagné actually makes this team worst.
Completely agree. Not only that, if you replace Hammer with Gagner, you still wouldn't have enough cap space to effectively replace Hamrlik's responsibilites. So you fill one hole, but create an even bigger one.

Old
07-27-2010, 09:30 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Dustin Boyd, ftw.

Old
07-27-2010, 09:32 AM
JayBee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Completely agree. Not only that, if you replace Hammer with Gagner, you still wouldn't have enough cap space to effectively replace Hamrlik's responsibilites. So you fill one hole, but create an even bigger one.
True, but I'd rather take a hit and hope for Obyrne/Weber to jump in and take Hamr's spot.

I think Gagne on O is a better look than Hamr on D. I'd be willing to take the chance.

Old
07-27-2010, 09:34 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
True, but I'd rather take a hit and hope for Obyrne/Weber to jump in and take Hamr's spot.

I think Gagne on O is a better look than Hamr on D. I'd be willing to take the chance.
What's the point? Gagner has a one year deal, seems like a waste to sacrfice defense for a little more offense.

Losing Hamrlik without a proper replacement is a significant hit to the d core. I'd be all for having Gagner if enough money was left to fill the void of Hamrlik, but there is none, which would make the team worse.

Old
07-27-2010, 09:41 AM
icerocket

The Hamrlik hate on this board is ridiculous.

Did anyone actually watch last season? He was a stud for us when Markov went down.

Ya his contract is bloated but there are a ton of players with those contracts. At least Hammer is good.

Closed Thread