HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gagne to Tampa for Matt Walker & 4th round pick

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-27-2010, 07:37 AM
  #1001
PhillyCurt12
Registered User
 
PhillyCurt12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,007
vCash: 500
time has passed and i'm definitely still pissed about the whole situation.

PhillyCurt12 is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 07:41 AM
  #1002
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,439
vCash: 500
Time has apparently passed on this thread as well.

Edit: Mods, I think Opus created a Part II if you can dig it up somewhere.

Edit 2: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=802134

JLHockeyKnight is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 10:12 AM
  #1003
Haute Couturier
Registered User
 
Haute Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 5,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNet View Post
The season ticket holder meeting in the spring sure should be interesting. . .
I hope someone calls him out on his lie to the fans at the last meeting when he said goaltending was the #1 priority.

Haute Couturier is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 10:14 AM
  #1004
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
I hope someone calls him out on his lie to the fans at the last meeting when he said goaltending was the #1 priority.
Indeed, if Leighton falls flat....

Jester is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 10:18 AM
  #1005
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
I hope someone calls him out on his lie to the fans at the last meeting when he said goaltending was the #1 priority.
It's not a lie if he honestly believes that Leighton is the way to go and thinks he'll continue to perform. That's just a difference in opinion.

JLHockeyKnight is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 10:22 AM
  #1006
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
It's not a lie if he honestly believes that Leighton is the way to go and thinks he'll continue to perform. That's just a difference in opinion.
It's possible that "lie" is too strong, but if you suggest that a position is a priority and you want to improve it... and then come back with the same players? His approach was also just plain bizarre with the whole Nabokov/Turco talk before re-signing Leighton before July 1st.

Someone should really ask him why the hell he panicked?

Jester is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 10:24 AM
  #1007
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular
 
claude boivin lives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 2,845
vCash: 500
What a great thread this was. I especially liked the part where the Flyers traded Gagne to Tampa for Matt Walker and a 4th. Good times, good times. Absolutely spectacular, as Coatesy would say. (That didn't fit in my user title, so I obviously went with his second favorite, "flat out").

claude boivin lives is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 10:25 AM
  #1008
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
It's possible that "lie" is too strong, but if you suggest that a position is a priority and you want to improve it... and then come back with the same players? His approach was also just plain bizarre with the whole Nabokov/Turco talk before re-signing Leighton before July 1st.

Someone should really ask him why the hell he panicked?
Or better yet, someone should ask "What the hell happened?"

He may not have panicked. I honestly think they planned to have worked out Nabokov/Turco by July 1, and have Leighton as a backup plan. When neither worked out, they pulled the trigger. In all honesty they couldn't have predicted if someone would have picked up Leighton, especially after starting in the SCF, much like they couldn't have predicted Turco still being available.

I just would like to know what happened and hear explanations behind each move. Then everyone should criticize away.

JLHockeyKnight is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 10:29 AM
  #1009
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Or better yet, someone should ask "What the hell happened?"

He may not have panicked. I honestly think they planned to have worked out Nabokov/Turco by July 1, and have Leighton as a backup plan. When neither worked out, they pulled the trigger. In all honesty they couldn't have predicted if someone would have picked up Leighton, especially after starting in the SCF, much like they couldn't have predicted Turco still being available.

I just would like to know what happened and hear explanations behind each move. Then everyone should criticize away.
The one thing I wanted from 'em... and stated explicitly ahead of time, was to slow-play the market. Why? Cuz it was a buyer's market, and you knew you'd be able to get someone of quality for cheap. I didn't mind the attempt to get Turco (was not a fan of Nabokov), especially since they did the right thing and tried to sign him to a cheap contract...

However, there was absolutely no justification for signing Leighton ahead of July 1st. If they had ended up with Leighton... fine. However, if they had waited I'm pretty sure they would have gotten Leighton for cheaper than they did.

Jester is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 10:30 AM
  #1010
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular
 
claude boivin lives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 2,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Or better yet, someone should ask "What the hell happened?"

He may not have panicked. I honestly think they planned to have worked out Nabokov/Turco by July 1, and have Leighton as a backup plan. When neither worked out, they pulled the trigger. In all honesty they couldn't have predicted if someone would have picked up Leighton, especially after starting in the SCF, much like they couldn't have predicted Turco still being available.

I just would like to know what happened and hear explanations behind each move. Then everyone should criticize away.
Yeah, schwooo, what a nightmare that would've been...someone else picking up Leighton.

It's also highly unlikely that they could have predicted that Turco or someone similar would still be available since there weren't more goalies available than there were positions available. Oh, wait...

claude boivin lives is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 10:55 AM
  #1011
Valhoun*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
I still can't believe that Yzerman also included a salary dump in the deal.

Valhoun* is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 10:57 AM
  #1012
RIPRichardsCarter
Registered User
 
RIPRichardsCarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,954
vCash: 500
**** this trade.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 11:24 AM
  #1013
MegaShark 666
 
MegaShark 666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Redondo Beach
Country: United States
Posts: 91
vCash: 500
This thread makes me angry all over again.

MegaShark 666 is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 11:43 AM
  #1014
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,153
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Or better yet, someone should ask "What the hell happened?"

He may not have panicked. I honestly think they planned to have worked out Nabokov/Turco by July 1, and have Leighton as a backup plan. When neither worked out, they pulled the trigger. In all honesty they couldn't have predicted if someone would have picked up Leighton, especially after starting in the SCF, much like they couldn't have predicted Turco still being available.

I just would like to know what happened and hear explanations behind each move. Then everyone should criticize away.
Yeah...two people just told you why everything you said was wrong, but I'll continue anyway.

Who gives a **** if we lose Leighton? If it saves us from paying him more then all of Chris Mason, Dan Ellis, and Martin Biron (all superior goalies to him) received then fine, bye-bye Leighton. We still have both Backlund and Boucher so it's not like we don't have the backup position covered.

Who could have foreseen a goalie like Turco still being available this far into free agency? Oh, yeah, every ****ing knowledgeable hockey fan, that's who. Apparently not our GM though because he is neither knowledgeable or competent.

This was a buyer's market for goalies. There were more goalies available then positions available. Simple as that. Assuming no one signed Leighton and we couldn't out-price any of the goalies that were already signed, then that would still leave Leighton and Turco available. Hell, maybe we could have nabbed Nabokov if we didn't sign Leighton and our GM wasn't an idiot.

It's perfectly fine to criticize Homer now if you're not a Homer apologist because he ****ed up, simple as that. I don't have to wait for "the reasons behind it" or to see the team in action to know that he ****ed up.

Garbage Goal is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 11:53 AM
  #1015
Amateur Hour
Registered User
 
Amateur Hour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Negadelphia
Posts: 6,507
vCash: 500
Can everybody just stop responding to this thread so it slowly moves down the main page and I don't have to see it at the top anymore? Nothing makes me angrier than seeing the title of the this thread every time I come to the boards.

Amateur Hour is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 11:56 AM
  #1016
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Yeah...two people just told you why everything you said was wrong, but I'll continue anyway.

Who gives a **** if we lose Leighton? If it saves us from paying him more then all of Chris Mason, Dan Ellis, and Martin Biron (all superior goalies to him) received then fine, bye-bye Leighton. We still have both Backlund and Boucher so it's not like we don't have the backup position covered.

Who could have foreseen a goalie like Turco still being available this far into free agency? Oh, yeah, every ****ing knowledgeable hockey fan, that's who. Apparently not our GM though because he is neither knowledgeable or competent.

This was a buyer's market for goalies. There were more goalies available then positions available. Simple as that. Assuming no one signed Leighton and we couldn't out-price any of the goalies that were already signed, then that would still leave Leighton and Turco available. Hell, maybe we could have nabbed Nabokov if we didn't sign Leighton and our GM wasn't an idiot.

It's perfectly fine to criticize Homer now if you're not a Homer apologist because he ****ed up, simple as that. I don't have to wait for "the reasons behind it" or to see the team in action to know that he ****ed up.
I never said I was right. I said I thought that's how they went about things. Read a little better next time.

People may not have faith in Leighton, but he played really damn well and is worth keeping around as at least a backup. You can look at things like a goalie market and predict all you want, but in the end you couldn't say Turco was definitely not going to anyone. He could have been in talks with other teams and disappeared in the first day. My best guess is Holmgren was trying to cover all his bases and not get caught with his pants down with Nabokov and Turco gone, and their starter in the Stanley Cup finals gone. Was it a good move? No, I ****ing agree with you on that and yet you rant like a dick to me. Holmgren shouldn't have jumped the gun on Leighton, cause if Turco isn't gone, I think Leighton wouldn't have been signed either. Whoever weighed the options and risk did a horrible job. Period.

Only saving grace left is that they clear some cap room and get Turco.

Awesome use of bolds, BTW. How's that avatar working for you?


Last edited by JLHockeyKnight: 07-27-2010 at 12:05 PM.
JLHockeyKnight is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 12:44 PM
  #1017
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,153
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
I never said I was right.
So you're saying you were wrong or might have been wrong? When someone says something it's kind of assumed that they, at the very least, have confidence that what they're saying is true.

Quote:
I said I thought that's how they went about things. Read a little better next time.
Yeah, except that it doesn't matter "how they went about things" because, however they went about it, it's abundantly clear that they fudged it up, bad.

Quote:
People may not have faith in Leighton, but he played really damn well and is worth keeping around as at least a backup.
Most people would agree that he's worth keeping around, but not at 1.55 mil (more then proven, legit goalies like Chris Mason are making). If that's how much it costs to keep him then you let him go completely or you wait him out and see if you can sign him for cheaper.

Leighton has no history of success and has never posted even decent regular season stats in his NHL career. He wasn't even worthy of playing in the NHL before we picked him up. Then he posted some good stats on our team. I wonder why that is? Maybe it's because we had arguably the best defense in the league. I'm guessing that helped him out quite a bit.

Quote:
You can look at things like a goalie market and predict all you want, but in the end you couldn't say Turco was definitely not going to anyone.
You're missing the point completely. It doesn't matter whether it was specifically Turco that would be available or not. The point is that this was a buyer's market for goalies and that it was obvious that, not only would there be several goalies available, but that most of them would be cheap. Every knowledgeable fan predicted that goalies would be left without a job by this time of year. Guess what? They were right. Theodore and Turco are both still available with possibly Niemi joining them later. Danis and Nabokov both went to the KHL because they couldn't find a job. That's four, potentially five goalies, with all but one of them being starters.

So, actually, yeah, everybody ****ing predicted this because it was ****ing obvious that it would happen.

Quote:
He could have been in talks with other teams and disappeared in the first day. My best guess is Holmgren was trying to cover all his bases and not get caught with his pants down with Nabokov and Turco gone, and their starter in the Stanley Cup finals gone. Was it a good move? No, I ****ing agree with you on that and yet you rant like a dick to me.
Then why are you defending him?

I'm not "ranting like a dick". I'm just sick of all of the Homer apologising. He ****ed up this off-season. There's no excuses for it.

Quote:
Holmgren shouldn't have jumped the gun on Leighton, cause if Turco isn't gone, I think Leighton wouldn't have been signed either. Whoever weighed the options and risk did a horrible job. Period.
Yep. Except that before you said that you were waiting to "know what happened and hear explanations behind each move" before you criticized him.

Quote:
Only saving grace left is that they clear some cap room and get Turco.
Yeah, do you honestly think that they'll go after Turco? I don't. Not unless he's willing to sign for dirt cheap (like 1.5 mil cheap). I'm pretty sure Homer is fine with our goalie tandem as of now, which is disturbing.

We also wouldn't have had to clear cap room if our GM didn't **** everything up in the first place. So the cap space thing is kind of a moot point.

Quote:
Awesome use of bolds, BTW. How's that avatar working for you?
I don't even know what you mean here. Making fun of me because I use the bold function and don't have an avatar? lol.

Garbage Goal is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 01:10 PM
  #1018
Kristia
Old folks home..
 
Kristia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tampa Bay Area....
Country: United States
Posts: 13,589
vCash: 8237
Awards:
Part 2
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=802134

Kristia is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:32 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.