HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal was #1 priority for Éric Bélanger

Closed Thread

Old
07-27-2010, 09:41 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
True, but I'd rather take a hit and hope for Obyrne/Weber to jump in and take Hamr's spot.

I think Gagne on O is a better look than Hamr on D. I'd be willing to take the chance.
Gagne would be replacing AK. For all the name recognition, the last 3 years I'm pretty sure AK has been as productive(due to Gagne always being out).

Gagne-58-74-132
AK- 64-63-127

Old
07-27-2010, 09:42 AM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

But do you guys forget that Hammer is getting payed 5.5 Million a year . Okay fine he will plug the holes wile Markov is out . But we need to let him walk next year as an UFA because he is old and he gets some brain farts too ...

Old
07-27-2010, 09:42 AM
Pleky Roks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
According to this Richard Labbé's paper. Bélanger and the Habs discussed together, but apparently it was impossible to sign him because of the salary cap.

I wonder why the Habs showed him any interest if they knew they couldn't pay him. Were they expecting him to accept a lower salary?

So the Habs were actually shopping for a 3rd line center before signing Plekanec... interesting... So I'm not the only one thinking it's a major gamble to leave the spot open for an unproven rookie... (Eller)

I think its terrible that the Habs let Dominic Moore go after seeing what he can do last year after we traded for him. He's a great faceoff guy, he has great speed and he has decent skill for a 3rd line player.....he should have been re-signed to give us a little bit of a veteran presence in the bottom 6.

After the way Gaulthier dropped the ball with the Halak deal and failed to add some skill to the top 6 forwards in that deal, failure to add some depth and experience in the bottom 6 forwards and now failure to get Price to sign a decent contract without over paying him....I'm starting question the Habs management!!! If they knew they were going to trade Halak, they should have at least signed Price first so he has no bargaining power....then they could have signed him for cheap and had money to keep Moore around or sign Belanger.

I gotta be honest.....I'm not very happy with the changes the Habs made this off-season. We traded away our #1 goalie for nothing that can help us next season, Eller and Schultz may be good in 3 or 4 years, but not next year......Price is now our #1 goalie again after failing to play like a #1 for the last 3 seasons and we didn't add anybody significant to improve the Habs roster.....if anything the team got worse. At this rate, the Habs will be very lucky to make the playoffs at all this up-coming season.

Old
07-27-2010, 09:44 AM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

The reason that they didn't resign Moore is probably because he wanted to much money wise .

Old
07-27-2010, 09:45 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
But do you guys forget that Hammer is getting payed 5.5 Million a year . Okay fine he will plug the holes wile Markov is out . But we need to let him walk next year as an UFA because he is old and he gets some brain farts too ...
I don't think anyone would disagree with the bolded. I'm all for moving Hamrlik even this year, so long as we can find an adequate replacement for what he brings to the team.

Old
07-27-2010, 09:46 AM
Subban76

Quote:
We ALL know that. It's only 1 year left and right now he brings something that the team desperatly needs. Of course he is gone after this season, but we REALLY need him this year to make the playoffs. He will be repalced next year via trade or UFA by a younger, better and cheaper player.

Old
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Anything is better then what he brings to the team .

Old
Go Habs Go

Belanger is not that good...

Old
obcd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstream View Post
Yeah, this is starting to frustrate me too.

5.5M to Hamrlik and O'Byrne/Carle/Weber on the bench

I don't dislike Hamrlik, but to me, a guy like Moore or Belanger could potentially bring more to the table (considering the "depth" we have at D)
And I'm not even talking about how we could have got Gagné for free or signed Frolov...

I mean, you're a GM and the offer is :
O'Byrne and Gagné
for
Hamrlik

what do you choose?

I wanna cry.

And don't get me started on Spacek. He better practice his shot this summer.
First, your trade is impossible since O'Byrne is with the Habs not the Flyers. Second, even if your trade was right Philly would gain salary and they wanted to dump salary. I don't think you put much tought in this post.

Old
07-27-2010, 09:47 AM
Pleky Roks

Quote:
Originally Posted by icerocket View Post
The Hamrlik hate on this board is ridiculous.

Did anyone actually watch last season? He was a stud for us when Markov went down.

Ya his contract is bloated but there are a ton of players with those contracts. At least Hammer is good.

You're exactly right. Hammer has been awesome ever since he joined the Habs....I don't understand why he gets so much hate on here. He might be overpaid by about 1 million dollars, but we had to overpay him to get him to come play with the likes of Koivu and all the other bums we had.

I'd gladly re-sign Hammer to a 1 or 2 year deal worth about 3 million a season. He still has lots to offer if he plays limited minutes.

Thank god we have a good core of players now with Gomez, Gionta and Cammy....other players around the league will be willing to come to Montreal now to play with those guys so we won't have to pay through the nose to sign free agents anymore.

Old
07-27-2010, 09:49 AM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Free agents always get overpaid . Welcome to the NHL .

Old
07-27-2010, 09:53 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

I tried translating the article for my own purposes and this is what I got out of it. There perhaps was an interest on the part of the Habs before Pleks was signed. After Pleks was signed I would say money was not the issue at all. There simply was no more room at the inn since Eller was acquired. Maybe the salary cap is what the Belanger camp and media chooses to go with because everything has got to be Hamrlik's fault. From the Markov injury, to other contracts and to his own contract, everrything is Hamrlik's fault. <sarcasm>

Some fans want to unload Hamrlik who holds an important position on D especially with Markov injured. In turn those same fans want to move Eller, who is 21 with great potential, aside in favor of Belanger, who is 32 years old and a bit more smurfy.
I don't get the logic.

Defence is a position of attrition. I'm not in favor of unloading a top 4 d-man for a bottom six forward when the d is undermanned already with Markov injured. I'm not sure I'd even do it for Gagne. For a player like Kovalchuk - absolutely.

Old
07-27-2010, 09:53 AM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstream View Post
Yeah, this is starting to frustrate me too.

5.5M to Hamrlik and O'Byrne/Carle/Weber on the bench

I don't dislike Hamrlik, but to me, a guy like Moore or Belanger could potentially bring more to the table (considering the "depth" we have at D)
And I'm not even talking about how we could have got Gagné for free or signed Frolov...

I mean, you're a GM and the offer is :
O'Byrne and Gagné
for
Hamrlik

what do you choose?

I wanna cry.

And don't get me started on Spacek. He better practice his shot this summer.
on what i heard
the asking price for gagné was Gorges

but Bélanger wants more than 1.7 + PP ice time
i dont want another ian bulis

Old
07-27-2010, 09:55 AM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalakRulz View Post
I think its terrible that the Habs let Dominic Moore go after seeing what he can do last year after we traded for him. He's a great faceoff guy, he has great speed and he has decent skill for a 3rd line player.....he should have been re-signed to give us a little bit of a veteran presence in the bottom 6.

After the way Gaulthier dropped the ball with the Halak deal and failed to add some skill to the top 6 forwards in that deal, failure to add some depth and experience in the bottom 6 forwards and now failure to get Price to sign a decent contract without over paying him....I'm starting question the Habs management!!! If they knew they were going to trade Halak, they should have at least signed Price first so he has no bargaining power....then they could have signed him for cheap and had money to keep Moore around or sign Belanger.

I gotta be honest.....I'm not very happy with the changes the Habs made this off-season. We traded away our #1 goalie for nothing that can help us next season, Eller and Schultz may be good in 3 or 4 years, but not next year......Price is now our #1 goalie again after failing to play like a #1 for the last 3 seasons and we didn't add anybody significant to improve the Habs roster.....if anything the team got worse. At this rate, the Habs will be very lucky to make the playoffs at all this up-coming season.
First, Moore being great at faceoffs is a myth. He's about at 50% career wise and was below 50% in the playoffs.

Second, Eller as more talent and brings that extra possibility on the 3rd line that Moore will never give you (kind of like Giroux in Philadelphia).

Third, Moore is asking for a lot of $$$, like every year and not worth it. He is still unsigned you know!

Fourth, Price is not even arbitration eligible. He as NO bargaining power at all. Rediculous the concept of him having more power since we tarded Halak. Habs can literaly force him to sign a 1 year deal but they are looking at a deal that will please both parties instead of forcing your future star goalie.

Fifth, Price's deal would have been similar wheter signed before or after the Halak trade and NO, we still would not have more money for Moore or Belanger who both players we don't need BTW.

Sixth, Eller is ready next year, not in 3-4 years.

Seventh, too many things to correct in your post and I don't feel like correcting everything.

Old
07-27-2010, 09:56 AM
Subban76

Quote:
Anything is better then what he brings to the team .
Now you are being unfair to the guy. You may not like him, but no need to make him sound like an AHL defenseman.

Old
07-27-2010, 10:04 AM
JayBee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Gagne would be replacing AK. For all the name recognition, the last 3 years I'm pretty sure AK has been as productive(due to Gagne always being out).

Gagne-58-74-132
AK- 64-63-127
Gagne is a far better player and we know what he's capable of. AK plays 15 games a season...plus Habs aren't resigning him anyways, if you can move him, why not now?

Old
07-27-2010, 10:07 AM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalakRulz View Post

Judging by your name, you must be pissed that Halak is gone. So am I. However, Eller will be good starting this year. The guy is a stud. He's not some raw prospect that just got out of junior, he's a guy who played a season in the Swedish Elite League and another one in the AHL. By all accounts, he's ready this year. He's not gonna be an impact player right off the gates, but don't count him out.

As for the actual topic, I'd rather have Moore than Belanger. The fact that Moore hasn't signed somewhere yet gives me hope that he might be willing to come back on the cheap after all. However, I realize we probably don't have a spot on the roster for him, unless Boyd plays on the wing.

Old
07-27-2010, 10:11 AM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
Gagne is a far better player and we know what he's capable of. AK plays 15 games a season...plus Habs aren't resigning him anyways, if you can move him, why not now?
Because this year is a contract year. He should do well and be easier to trade at the end of this year. More importantly, Habs don't even have the 2M extra Gagné makes over AK.

Gagné is a UFA at the end of the year and getting him could still be a possibility, although I prefer Backes.

Old
07-27-2010, 10:26 AM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
Now you are being unfair to the guy. You may not like him, but no need to make him sound like an AHL defenseman.
Yea i guess your right . Its just that he doesn't have the best mobility and he is getting kinda old . Plus his contract is heavy on the Habs for what he provides . But then again Gomez is also overpaid

Old
07-27-2010, 10:29 AM
Kafka

Before the Halak trade, I really expected Montreal to try to sign him as he is one of the best defensive defensmen of the league, and has a scoring touch. With Eller comming here, I thought Montreal should try to sign a player with some size along the boards like Torres, but with the cap situation, I don't expect a UFA to be signed at this point, specially with so many teams still having money to spend.

Therefore, I wish either Hamrlik or Spacek could be traded for that large and speedy winger we need... or hopefully Pacioretti, Pouliot and Kostitsyn will manage to get the job done.

Old
07-27-2010, 10:34 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
I've given up defending Hamrlik on this board. Half the posters don't watch games, and just assume that since he's over the age of 35 and getting paid more than 5M that he's terrible.

Old
07-27-2010, 10:35 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
but with the cap situation, I don't expect a UFA to be signed at this point, specially with so many teams still having money to spend.
Did you come to this conclusion recently because Gauthier said that he was done with the UFA market because of little cap room about two-weeks ago.

Are people really surprised?

I'm pretty sure Gauthier has looked into moving Hamrlik, but unless you are able to find an adequate replacement for what he provides to the team, then there is absolutely no point in moving him.

As for players like Moore, Belanger etc they are a dime a dozen plays and that is why they remain unsigned. Teams rather bring in rookies to fill these roles at 1/3rd the price.

Old
07-27-2010, 10:36 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

vCash: 50
I guess he wasnt their number 1 priority.

Old
07-27-2010, 10:45 AM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

I would have like to sign him but I'm ok with the Boyd signing, younger,cheaper and still have good potential.
Belanger will sign in Tampa

and for the Hammer contract we will need his 5,5 millions on our cap space next summer

Old
07-27-2010, 11:24 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I wouldn't blame Moore or Belanger for seeking larger-ish deals, $6M/3yrs something like that for Belanger. That's how the "old NHL under the new CBA" worked. Guys like him would get that on the first 3 days of free agency. Times they are a-changin', though.

Players/agents could still hope to luck into the previous paradigm on July 1st. Then maybe they could dream/delude themselves into thinking that after a few dominoes like Kovalchuk or Gagne fell, teams would then be ready to start competing more seriously for the players at the lower tiers again. Or maybe they even buy into the myth that teams will somehow pay/overpay for guys they don't really want/need just to reach the cap floor? Doesn't happen.

But Moore already faced this last year, and he and Belanger had probably better soon resign himself to the same reality.

Price is not signed, so it makes me think the Habs aren't going to completely hand him the keys to the vault. That means the team probaly does have ample cap space to add another player at $1M-or-so. Bear in mind, that salary would not be much different than what rookies like White or Maxwell or Pacioretty would get.

So yeah, if a guy like Belanger or Moore was still stuck looking for work in late August, I think the Habs would be nuts not to offer them that money on that roster spot. The margin of error in the league is slim. Sure, we like to hope that Eller will step in. But there isn't exactly a clear alternative to him either. If he's not ready, what then? Having an experienced backup plan would seem like an obvious and smart move.

But Gauthier is right to play it cool in the meantime, if that is what he's doing.

Closed Thread