HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Philadelphia Street Hockey

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-26-2010, 08:57 AM
  #101
JonnyGaloshes
Registered User
 
JonnyGaloshes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: West Philadelphia
Posts: 396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlkamps View Post
Wasn't sure if I should email back the mailing list, but I'll be showing up on Tuesday night for some hockey. See ya there
Nice.

I actually find that more people show up when they see that others are coming. So if you want to "reply to all" and say you're in, that might help the turnout.

See you tomorrow

JonnyGaloshes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 09:10 AM
  #102
tlkamps
Registered User
 
tlkamps's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 196
vCash: 500
replied to all, hopefully that brings some people out. Any idea on the turnout so far?

tlkamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 04:51 PM
  #103
JonnyGaloshes
Registered User
 
JonnyGaloshes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: West Philadelphia
Posts: 396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlkamps View Post
replied to all, hopefully that brings some people out. Any idea on the turnout so far?
Looks pretty good right now...probably around 9-10 if everyone who confirmed shows up. I still haven't heard back from some regulars, so there might be more, but we definitely have enough for a solid game.

JonnyGaloshes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 05:14 PM
  #104
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW
 
ShawnTHW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 8,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyGaloshes View Post
Looks pretty good right now...probably around 9-10 if everyone who confirmed shows up. I still haven't heard back from some regulars, so there might be more, but we definitely have enough for a solid game.
Do you guys get goalies? And I saw you playing with trash cans as nets. have you invested in some real nets?

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 05:53 PM
  #105
JonnyGaloshes
Registered User
 
JonnyGaloshes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: West Philadelphia
Posts: 396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
Do you guys get goalies? And I saw you playing with trash cans as nets. have you invested in some real nets?
From time to time, but people always seem to want to play as skaters. There is a rink a few blocks from Rizzo with nets that we play at when we get goalies.

Without goalies, the trashcans actually work better than real nets in terms of making scoring relatively difficult. Each team tends to have one guy playing a sweeper role, so they act as pseudo-goalies.

That, and we like to keep it real

JonnyGaloshes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 08:57 PM
  #106
Gordie Howe Headlock
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: South Phila
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
probably seems like i'm obsessed with surfaces , but what is the surface like at the rink by rizzo? can i get by with hard, outdoor wheels? or should i go a little grippy-er?

Gordie Howe Headlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 10:43 PM
  #107
Richyrich
Registered User
 
Richyrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordie Howe Headlock View Post
probably seems like i'm obsessed with surfaces , but what is the surface like at the rink by rizzo? can i get by with hard, outdoor wheels? or should i go a little grippy-er?
I haven't played outdoor on rizzo in a long time but IIRC, hard rubber should do it

Richyrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 11:11 PM
  #108
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW
 
ShawnTHW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 8,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordie Howe Headlock View Post
probably seems like i'm obsessed with surfaces , but what is the surface like at the rink by rizzo? can i get by with hard, outdoor wheels? or should i go a little grippy-er?
Yea, I wouldnt worry too much, hard wheels, no matter the kind, are usually pretty good outdoors.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 09:28 AM
  #109
JonnyGaloshes
Registered User
 
JonnyGaloshes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: West Philadelphia
Posts: 396
vCash: 500
If they roll, they'll be fine at Rizzo.

I think its just painted (not slippery) cement.

JonnyGaloshes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 09:33 AM
  #110
Gordie Howe Headlock
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: South Phila
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
Thanks for the input guys. I just hate when I go out to play only find myself slipping because my wheels are too hard.

In regard to the game tonight, is there a secret handshake or password to identify ourselves as forum members? j/k

Gordie Howe Headlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 11:05 AM
  #111
JonnyGaloshes
Registered User
 
JonnyGaloshes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: West Philadelphia
Posts: 396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordie Howe Headlock View Post
In regard to the game tonight, is there a secret handshake or password to identify ourselves as forum members? j/k
Shh, don't tell anyone I showed you this, but here's a clip of us from before our last game



JonnyGaloshes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 11:26 AM
  #112
tlkamps
Registered User
 
tlkamps's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyGaloshes View Post
Shh, don't tell anyone I showed you this, but here's a clip of us from before our last game
[/YT]
Figured it was something like that, gotta spend the rest of my day at work trying to learn that... damn

tlkamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 12:57 PM
  #113
Gordie Howe Headlock
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: South Phila
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlkamps View Post
Figured it was something like that, gotta spend the rest of my day at work trying to learn that... damn
I'm going to leave work early to practice it. Then when my wife gets home I'll practice it with her, but then I will have to kill her since, you know, it's a secret. So I could be a few minutes late depending how practice goes and how quickly I can clean up the mess.

Gordie Howe Headlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 01:20 PM
  #114
AaronTrieu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,882
vCash: 500
Is this a strictly sunday event? i have kickball in fairmount.

AaronTrieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 01:29 PM
  #115
tlkamps
Registered User
 
tlkamps's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronTrieu View Post
Is this a strictly sunday event? i have kickball in fairmount.
Well there is a group getting together tonight, I think during the week its just kind of a whenever thing. Sundays are weekly though. Sign up for the mailing list and you can get info about any time there is something scheduled

tlkamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 01:49 PM
  #116
Richyrich
Registered User
 
Richyrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
Yea, I wouldnt worry too much, hard wheels, no matter the kind, are usually pretty good outdoors.
I'm just going off of memory here but I think Rizzo has a "finished surface" to its outdoor rink which would mean plastic wheels (If that's what you were reffering to) would really mess you up. Medium-hard to hard-hard rubber (depending on what type of skater you are) would be the way to go for me.

Richyrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 02:35 PM
  #117
JonnyGaloshes
Registered User
 
JonnyGaloshes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: West Philadelphia
Posts: 396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronTrieu View Post
Is this a strictly sunday event? i have kickball in fairmount.
Nope. The Jersey game is a Sunday thing, but the South Philly games are pretty random.

But yeah, as tlkamps mentioned (while he should be practicing his handshake ) if you sign up for the mailing list at www.gmailinglist.com/philadelphiastreethockey you'll get an email notice a few days prior to each game with times, locations, etc.


Last edited by JonnyGaloshes: 07-27-2010 at 05:13 PM.
JonnyGaloshes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 02:43 PM
  #118
Gordie Howe Headlock
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: South Phila
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richyrich View Post
I'm just going off of memory here but I think Rizzo has a "finished surface" to its outdoor rink which would mean plastic wheels (If that's what you were reffering to) would really mess you up. Medium-hard to hard-hard rubber (depending on what type of skater you are) would be the way to go for me.
My outdoor wheels are rubber, 83a to be exact.

Gordie Howe Headlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 03:10 PM
  #119
tlkamps
Registered User
 
tlkamps's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordie Howe Headlock View Post
My outdoor wheels are rubber, 83a to be exact.
You should be fine with them. I'm gonna be using wheels that came with my skates which are indoor/outdoor 78a

tlkamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 03:30 PM
  #120
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW
 
ShawnTHW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 8,881
vCash: 500
I just wanted to get a quick rundown of how many of you THINK you will be able to make it out on Sunday.

The more the merrier.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 03:44 PM
  #121
JonnyGaloshes
Registered User
 
JonnyGaloshes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: West Philadelphia
Posts: 396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
I just wanted to get a quick rundown of how many of you THINK you will be able to make it out on Sunday.

The more the merrier.
From everyone on the mailing list, including the people from here, I would guess around 7-8.

I'll send out the email about it tomorrow morning, so I'll have a better idea by Thursday.

JonnyGaloshes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 09:03 PM
  #122
goog
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 12
vCash: 500
Awesome game tonight fellas. Had a ton of fun. Look forward to being at many more.

goog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 10:39 PM
  #123
JonnyGaloshes
Registered User
 
JonnyGaloshes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: West Philadelphia
Posts: 396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by goog View Post
Awesome game tonight fellas. Had a ton of fun. Look forward to being at many more.
For real. Thanks to everyone who came out...at 15 or 16 people it was definitely the biggest game we've had.

I had a blast the whole time, even in the couple of games we played with a puck

I can't wait for Sunday.

JonnyGaloshes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 10:46 PM
  #124
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW
 
ShawnTHW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 8,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyGaloshes View Post
For real. Thanks to everyone who came out...at 15 or 16 people it was definitely the biggest game we've had.

I had a blast the whole time, even in the couple of games we played with a puck

I can't wait for Sunday.
most of you dont wear shinpads right?

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 11:49 PM
  #125
JonnyGaloshes
Registered User
 
JonnyGaloshes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: West Philadelphia
Posts: 396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
most of you dont wear shinpads right?
I don't think any of us do. I didn't see any tonight, anyway.

JonnyGaloshes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:45 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.