HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What Sport do Montrealers Prefer?

View Poll Results: What do Montrealers Prefer?
NBA 20 11.76%
MLB 56 32.94%
NFL 94 55.29%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-27-2010, 10:25 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post
How can you watch baseball when it's so nice outside (I know there are some evening games, but still....)
My team is the Padres. Half of their games start at 10PM Eastern, so no problem.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 10:25 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
I enjoy football more, but probably baseball because I feel bad for all the Expos fans.

They'd all fail anyway. Even with this province's recent love for football, I can't imagine 40,000 people showing up consistently for an NFL game, which would be the lowest attendance in the league.

Maybe I underestimate the appeal it would have to out-of-towners and many people would make the trek from other provinces and even states like Vermont and New Hampshire, but I doubt it.

And I'd never go to a basketball game, just for the record.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 10:26 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strik_IX View Post
NBA Season AND playoffs are pretty much at the exact same time as hockey, which is why the NBA is very unlikely to ever come close to the Bell Center.

Too bad, cuz pro caliber B-Ball is awesome.
And why does it work in Philly, LA (2 BB teams AND a hockey team in 1 arena), etc.?

I'm pretty sure Stern and Bettman have something worked out so the schedules work for both leagues.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 10:26 AM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

vCash: 1395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
My team is the Padres. Half of their games start at 10PM Eastern, so no problem.
Just like Elvis Gratton

Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 10:28 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLPacman67 View Post
And why does it work in Philly, LA (2 BB teams AND a hockey team in 1 arena), etc.?

I'm pretty sure Stern and Bettman have something worked out so the schedules work for both leagues.
Fine, it wouldn't work because the NBA is a terrible league that most people wouldn't care about. A team would get less than 10,000 fans a game.

Quote:
Just like Elvis Gratton
If you say so.

Old
07-27-2010, 10:28 AM
Jigger77

NHL teams back in Quebec and Winnipeg.

For me it would be the S'pos. Miss 'em tons.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 10:35 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Not a scrub, voted for NBA. I would much rather watch pro basketball than American Football or Baseball AKA more boring than watching grass grow while your granny teaches you how to knit.

I know it's probably the least likely of the three to ever have a team in MTL, but it's the team sport I like best after hockey.

<3 Celtics
lol I didn't mean people who voted for NBA in all seriousness were scrubs. I meant people who do it just to be dicks are scrubs, because I think we all know the majority of Canadians are Hockey, Baseball or Football fans, far less Basketball, and I think NBA would have the least odds at succeeding in Montreal.

Build a new stadium downtown and people will come to see NFL/MLB games, the expos could come back and be a successful franchise if they did decide to go with new ownership/stadium. The Olympic stadium is just crap lol.

I honestly think the only franchise that could succeed there is the habs.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 10:39 AM
Ghetto Sangria
Groupthink

Quote:
Fine, it wouldn't work because the NBA is a terrible league that most people wouldn't care about. A team would get less than 10,000 fans a game.
An NBA team wouldn't fail here at all! You kidding me? It's all opinion at this point, but I think an NBA team would be sick in Montreal. An NFL team wouldn't work since we have our own Canadian football league... We already tried MLB, and clearly were not able to keep em, although it had a good run.

Ghetto Sangria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 10:43 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCammalleri View Post
An NBA team wouldn't fail here at all! You kidding me? It's all opinion at this point, but I think an NBA team would be sick in Montreal. An NFL team wouldn't work since we have our own Canadian football league... We already tried MLB, and clearly were not able to keep em, although it had a good run.
Montreal is definitely not an NBA city. Sure, they'd get good attendance for the first year, but once they start losing I doubt they'd manage over 10,000. I know maybe 4-5 people who would be into an NBA team. I just can't see it having any lasting effect. Either way, I don't care if a team comes to Montreal, but I'm sure it wouldn't work.

Also, pretty sure an NFL team would cause interest in the Alouettes to dwindle, and not the contrary. I don't think an NFL team will come to Montreal, but just throwing in my two cents regarding that.

Also, terrible owners screwed over the Expos and their fans, the city could support a baseball team easily enough. Go check out HarryI's post in the baseball sub-forum.

Old
07-27-2010, 10:44 AM
NBP81

I voted NFL as long as we're in the AFC east. Then I'd get to see the Fins once a season...

NBP81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 11:11 AM
PK76

Quote:
Not a scrub, voted for NBA. I would much rather watch pro basketball than American Football or Baseball AKA more boring than watching grass grow while your granny teaches you how to knit.
IMO, NBA is more boring than baseball with fouls called half of the time and the fact that you pretty much know who'll win the game before it even starts. I like the Raptors but now that Bosh is gone, I don't see myself watching too many of their games this year.

I voted MLB btw...damn I miss the 'Spos!

PK76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 11:15 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:
Ah, ok

McSorleyStick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 11:18 AM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

I would cut one of my hand to have a NFL team in MTL...... and I hate the CFL

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 11:18 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Montreal is definitely not an NBA city. Sure, they'd get good attendance for the first year, but once they start losing I doubt they'd manage over 10,000. I know maybe 4-5 people who would be into an NBA team. I just can't see it having any lasting effect. Either way, I don't care if a team comes to Montreal, but I'm sure it wouldn't work.

Also, pretty sure an NFL team would cause interest in the Alouettes to dwindle, and not the contrary. I don't think an NFL team will come to Montreal, but just throwing in my two cents regarding that.

Also, terrible owners screwed over the Expos and their fans, the city could support a baseball team easily enough. Go check out HarryI's post in the baseball sub-forum.
The Raptors do fine, because they twin tickets with the Leafs. Do the same and the NBA would survive. Besides, I'm sure Molson would love to have more dates at the Bell Centre.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 11:19 AM
Melrose Munch

IMO NFL is only 8 home dates a year. That should be easy to fill out.

Old
07-27-2010, 11:21 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

NFL for me

I really doubt an NBA team would work here

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 11:36 AM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
NFL I guess, but I'm just glad we're entering the MLS.

CoupeStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 11:39 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeStanley View Post
NFL I guess, but I'm just glad we're entering the MLS.
That should be very interesting,lots of players are coming to North America to play in the MLS,most of them are getting old and they aren't starters anymore in Europe so they join the MLS but I have a feeling we will see some younger players join the league.I will definitely follow the MLS and attend quite a few games

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 11:40 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:

Montreal had all sorts of problems with any sports team not named the Habs. So I'm pretty sure you can make a valid case for any sports league.

The Als came and went and have only been really popular recently. The Expos lost all fan interest even when they were giving away tickets.

The NBA would be by far the easiest to fit in since we don't need many more facilities if any for it to work out. Only money and paperwork. How popular it can get? Not sure.

The best way to trailblaze to make the NBA popular is to make some CIS unis if not all join the NCAA program. Which would also make our universities capable of keeping the Hockey Quebec products that run away to the big programs south of the border. Same would go for football, since we'd never get any local products on the NFL squad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindrosfan88 View Post
IMO NFL is only 8 home dates a year. That should be easy to fill out.
Problem is, we either need to expand the Big O or build a new stadium. The minimum is what Cleveland has right now (70K + seating). It cost them 300M$ and that was 10 years ago. You'll never get any kind of funding for this over here. And the fact it's an outdoor stadium makes it even more unlikely. Due to weather conditions over here, we'd probably need an indoors stadium, which would put it close to 500M$, if not more.

That project is doomed from the start.

Old
07-27-2010, 11:52 AM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

Man, bring the NFL to montreal and you'll get an avg attendance of 70k people minimum per game for sure. NFL is by far no2 after hockey here.

That's why I hope so much that the NFL gets to Toronto that way Montreal will have better chances to reach it to.

MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 12:03 PM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

For me it's :

1- NHL
2- UFC
3- MLS
4- Formula 1
5- NASCAR
6- ATP
7- MLB
8- NFL
9- PGA
-
-
36- NBA

So I would not be very enthousiast about getting a MLB/NFL/NBA franchise.

DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 12:10 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

I'd rather watch football than basketball, or baseball.

I actually catch the super bowl, so if Montréal had a team, I'd jump on that bandwagon.

Plus, to have an NFL team would be a 1 up on Toronto.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 12:10 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLPacman67 View Post
Montreal had all sorts of problems with any sports team not named the Habs. So I'm pretty sure you can make a valid case for any sports league.

The Als came and went and have only been really popular recently. The Expos lost all fan interest even when they were giving away tickets.

The NBA would be by far the easiest to fit in since we don't need many more facilities if any for it to work out. Only money and paperwork. How popular it can get? Not sure.

The best way to trailblaze to make the NBA popular is to make some CIS unis if not all join the NCAA program. Which would also make our universities capable of keeping the Hockey Quebec products that run away to the big programs south of the border. Same would go for football, since we'd never get any local products on the NFL squad.

Problem is, we either need to expand the Big O or build a new stadium. The minimum is what Cleveland has right now (70K + seating). It cost them 300M$ and that was 10 years ago. You'll never get any kind of funding for this over here. And the fact it's an outdoor stadium makes it even more unlikely. Due to weather conditions over here, we'd probably need an indoors stadium, which would put it close to 500M$, if not more.

That project is doomed from the start.
Hey, the tri funding model that Quebecor is using for the new Quebec Stadium could work.

Old
07-27-2010, 12:13 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindrosfan88 View Post
Hey, the tri funding model that Quebecor is using for the new Quebec Stadium could work.
I'm not sure what are the numbers, but there's no way a 500M$ stadium is being built without at least half (and even then, I doubt it gets done at that split) of it coming from the private sector.

The way it works out in the US is that private corporations are willing to spend a lot in their communities. Over here, it's a dogfight to get any kind of funding for something like an arena in Quebec. It's ridiculous to think it's going to happen.

Old
07-27-2010, 12:22 PM
TheHabMan43
You'd Better RUN!

I voted Baseball. I'd love to see the Expos back, just need a new stadium.

as for NFL and NBA, The only games I watch are the Super Bowl and the Finals.

TheHabMan43 is offline   Reply With Quote