HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers Agree to Terms with Frolov (1Y @ $3MM)

Closed Thread

Old
07-27-2010, 11:27 AM
AJRanger

vCash: 500
Great signing, Sather did good.

Old
07-27-2010, 11:31 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Willie Mitchell, Marc Savard or Mike Ribiero. Let's get it.
Not sure what they can fit under the cap but signing Mitchell would I believe. ohhhh happy day. Now Wade can talk to the KHL and plan on playing there for the yr

Old
07-27-2010, 11:31 AM
ryan41
LETS GO RANGERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRanger View Post
absolutely...so excited for this he will be nice and motivated....btw GLA <3 going to see them in philly and NJ soon.

Old
07-27-2010, 11:32 AM
NYRCC

first off, i love this signing. way more stoked about this than i was the zherdev deal.

i think frolov would look great on a wing with artie. after the last few weeks of last season, you would think there would've been more of an emphasis on finding some hulking wingers for anisimov to play with. he was stellar with prust and shelley down the stretch. i'd love to see frolov get some serious time with AA but i'd be fine if he winds up on the top line with gaborik as well. he should provide anywhere from 20 to 35 goals.. that's some secondary scoring we desperately needed last year. if AA improves along with the rest of our core and guys like MZA and frolov provide some secondary scoring, we could be in pretty good shape.

here's the real question, what number does he wear? cally already wears 24.

Old
07-27-2010, 11:32 AM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Love this deal, it screams 2 big things to me-

1) responsiblity and unwillingness to overpay
2) he is viewed as a tryout and stop gap to our young forwards coming along, he is not viewed as the ANSWER to all our problems

dare i say it....good job glen

and btw, TORTS, if your reading this, give the guy the same patience you give drury...

Old
07-27-2010, 11:33 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
I love it.

Old
07-27-2010, 11:36 AM
pzilla3

Good signing. Glad to see he turned down the big money of the KHL for a 1 year with Rangers. Shows willingness to play, not just cash a check.

Old
07-27-2010, 11:37 AM
TreeSapLlama

If Dubinksky - Christensen - Gaborik isn't clicking at some point, i would LOVE to see Frolov - Anisimov - Gaborik for at least a couple shifts. Could be really exciting

Old
07-27-2010, 11:40 AM
Basement Cat
RIP Loko

It is good to see skilled Russians turning down the KHL. Kovalchuk did and said that the NHL is the best league in the world with the best players. Now Frolov turned down 20 mil to sign for 3 mil to prove himself. Nice to see that these guys prefer the NHL.

Old
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Frolov-Anisimov-Gaborik could be something real special.

All 3 play the 2 way game. Torts got his wish w/ a trio like that.

Old
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianJagr View Post
If Dubinksky - Christensen - Gaborik isn't clicking at some point, i would LOVE to see Frolov - Anisimov - Gaborik for at least a couple shifts. Could be really exciting
If MZA pans out we actually have a decent top 6. Maybe Prospal will center Gaborik.

Dubinsky- Prospal- Gaborik
Frolov- Anisimov- MZA

Old
07-27-2010, 11:42 AM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by yboldt14 View Post
Awesome. Moves like this make your team better, even in the long run.

A - Plays awesome, fits in, Rangers resign for more years.

B - Plays decent or awesome, Rangers flip at deadline for players they otherwise would not have access to.

C - Sucks, and are off the hook after this season.

Giddyup.
Yeah... exactly... This is just a great move by Sather... Slats is real crafty..... Nothing negative with this signing at all...

The pieces are fitting together for the Rangers this coming year... Plenty of NHL talent on this team to make a run at the cup this year if there are no major run of injuries and etc... Torts has to figure out a way to match the lines for the best chemistry and success...

Old
07-27-2010, 11:43 AM
NYRCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Frolov-Anisimov-Gaborik could be something real special.

All 3 play the 2 way game. Torts got his wish w/ a trio like that.
i'd love to see this. we all know torts is expecting a lot from aa this year. it'd be great to see torts give him an extended shot with fro and gabby.

Old
07-27-2010, 11:44 AM
Valverde

Always liked him, though never wanted him on the Rangers, but for 3 million it's a good signing. The terms are interesting, I mean it's a difficult situation for Rangers - if he pans out, he's gonna get a big contract next year and it'll be really difficult to retain him in the next offseason. On the other hand, if he plays okay, then we can probably resign him for someting like those 3 million, but what would be the point? I actually think that if Sather went for him, 2-3 years would be better - high risk, high reward. One year deal - not much of a risk and not much of a reward. We'll see, though, I wish him well obviously, it's Sather's job to worry about the money.

Old
07-27-2010, 11:45 AM
Salvage21

I think it's a great signing.. A little disappointed that the term isn't a bit longer, but I guess he's playing for a contract-if he puts forth his best effort, it could only benefit the Rangers. Like it's been stated in the other thread, Frolov will quietly put up good numbers in Gaborik's shadow against team's second pairing defense. I also think this was an important signing for Sather to 'prove' to Gaborik and Lundqvist that they're not wasting their prime. That's not to say that I personally think that by adding Frolov, the Rangers will be cup contenders.. But by adding a proven player and an extra 20 goals to the roster, it at least looks like management is trying to put a good team on the ice. Also, I wouldn't discount the effect a proven Russian NHLer has on young guys like Anisimov and to a lesser extent, Grachev.

I think this roster is rounding out pretty nicely.. at least it'll be exciting hockey to watch.

Prospal-Christensen-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Frolov
Prust-Drury-Callahan
Avery-Boyle-Boogard

Staal-Girardi
MDZ-Roszival
McDonagh-Eminger

Old
07-27-2010, 11:46 AM
mti79

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRCC View Post
first off, i love this signing. way more stoked about this than i was the zherdev deal.

i think frolov would look great on a wing with artie. after the last few weeks of last season, you would think there would've been more of an emphasis on finding some hulking wingers for anisimov to play with. he was stellar with prust and shelley down the stretch. i'd love to see frolov get some serious time with AA but i'd be fine if he winds up on the top line with gaborik as well. he should provide anywhere from 20 to 35 goals.. that's some secondary scoring we desperately needed last year. if AA improves along with the rest of our core and guys like MZA and frolov provide some secondary scoring, we could be in pretty good shape.

here's the real question, what number does he wear? cally already wears 24.
Ha Ha... I thought of the number question too... And he can't just reverse it cause AA has 42.

Old
07-27-2010, 11:47 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
Yeah... exactly... This is just a great move by Sather... Slats is real crafty..... Nothing negative with this signing at all...

The pieces are fitting together for the Rangers this coming year... Plenty of NHL talent on this team to make a run at the cup this year if there are no major run of injuries and etc... Torts has to figure out a way to match the lines for the best chemistry and success...
While I think we may be inching closer to playoff contention, I don't think we're ready to make a run at the cup just yet.

Get me a legit top 2 line center, and a veteran prescence on the back end then you can start talking.

Old
07-27-2010, 11:47 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Great deal!!

Steal of the FA market with a deal like that, IMO.

Would like to see him stick around longer then one year for a price like hat.

Old
07-27-2010, 11:48 AM
DrAStuart

A good signing...Frolov should be anxious to show last year was a blip and he'll be playing for a contract...and a good price, too.

Old
07-27-2010, 11:50 AM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

*sigh* You guys are going to love his smarts and play in general. I miss him already.

Old
07-27-2010, 11:50 AM
johnjm22

Frolov is one of my favorite players of all time. I'm sad to see him go. I'll be rooting for the Rangers a little bit this year.

I hope he lights it up for you guys. I think he has something to prove right now.

Old
07-27-2010, 11:51 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Good deal. Sather really doing well this summer season

Old
07-27-2010, 11:53 AM
Esa 10

Good deal. Best of all, Goodbye Redden! (til we go through same **** next summer of course.)

Old
07-27-2010, 11:55 AM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRanger View Post
Sather can have a lollipop now!

Old
07-27-2010, 11:55 AM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

You can't not like this deal.

After signing Staal, it means the end of Redden. All the needs to be said.

And if Frolov ****s the bed, flip him at the trade deadline for picks to a contender or let him walk.

Nice job Sather.

Closed Thread