HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Sather's off-season - impressive

Closed Thread

Old
07-27-2010, 12:10 PM
pld459666

vCash: 500
Sather's off-season - impressive

I have been one of the biggest Sather bashers on this board. However, I have always given credit when and where due.

Glen Sather's summer of 2010 has been nothing short of impressive and that's taking into considration the Boogaard contract.

Signed MZA to a very cap friendly 2 year deal.

Got both Stepan and McD to come out of College when everyone thought they were headed back to take care of some unfinished business

Went against the grain at the draft and selected a monster defenceman that the team needs (I disagreed with the pick, but I have come around since)

Signed Girardi to a very solid 4 year deal

Brought back Prospal at a reduced deal.

Now, he's got the 2nd best winger available on the UFA market for less than market value.

He's got 2 more things to take care of.

Sign Staal before this gets really risky

Then, the cherry on this summer sundae is going to be waiving Redden and sending him packing freeing up a very much needed 6+ million in cap space.

He does both and this will be a very VERY solid summer for the Rangers.

Old
07-27-2010, 12:17 PM
pwoz

I like every signing/move, INCLUDING Boogey.

Old
07-27-2010, 12:19 PM
Blueblood 2

Not done yet either. Trades coming if other GM's can make a decision and pull the trigger. Sather has done a very good job indeed.

Old
07-27-2010, 12:23 PM
HockeyBurd*

He has set quite the bar for himself.

Old
07-27-2010, 12:25 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Agreed

I believe that Roszival is going to be dealt over Redden, and also believe that Matt Gilroy may also be moved elsewhere. No idea on the return so I won't speculate although if I was GM for a day, I would try to pry Matt Carkner out of Ott. I mean the pricetag probably wouldn't be all that high and Carkner NOT becuase they need another guy to drop the mitts, but they desperately need a physical presence on the blue line still. McIlrath a few years away still, this club needs that element now. Mitchell woul be a step up, but Carkner is ferocious.

Last edited by Lion Hound: 07-27-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Old
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
He has set quite the bar for himself.
Yup...nothing outrageously disastrous = SUCCESS!!!!!

Old
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Only around here could this summer be viewed as anything even close to impressive.

Old
07-27-2010, 12:28 PM
Edge

I have mixed feelings. There have been some solid contracts, Boogaard being the only one that I flinch about.

The challenge is that this is still not a very good team.

So the signings, in their own context, have been (overall) very good. The actual state of the team however, is still pretty mediocre.

Old
07-27-2010, 12:28 PM
ScottyMack*

The Stanley Cup is the only thing that could make up for the crimes he's committed.

The worst for me was when he traded Leetch. He should have retired a Ranger.

Old
07-27-2010, 12:29 PM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Only around here could this summer be viewed as anything even close to impressive.
Why even waste your effort just complain Sting? Seriously...let people be happy.

We got a good player today. Two of our top prospects turned pro. We finally have an enforcer that will earn his paycheck and we resigned one of our top young-core players to a solid deal. That's a lot to be happy about. Just because we didn't make a huge, flashy move doesn't make it bad.

Old
07-27-2010, 12:29 PM
Hanke
Tortsless Rangers

I like what hes done. I dont get why people are saying they hate Boogaards contract, its allright, but im ****ing happy we have him.

i just cant wait for the start of the season. even though that mean school starts again ]=

Old
07-27-2010, 12:32 PM
bscharf

i think sather has been perfect

The questionable boogaard move is overshadowed by Frolov, Biron, MZA, MCD, Stepan as well as a great draft.

Old
07-27-2010, 12:33 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Actually a bit shocked to see this thread coming from you, pld.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Old
07-27-2010, 12:34 PM
Edge

I think the only real complaint you could have about these moves is that they aren't to round out a better overall roster. Otherwise, the deals themself have been solid and not cumbersome.

Old
07-27-2010, 12:35 PM
DrZoidberg

I give him a grade of A. It'd be an A+ but that Boogaard signing is a bit too high for my liking. Regardless, it's not a glaring problem and I can definitely get around it. He also has some upside as an intimidator, brings toughness to a soft team, and he'll protect Lundqvist and our soft players like Anisimov. But other than that, this Frolov deal is unbelievable. Probably the best signing of the off-season for any team. It works in so many ways for us. Before this I would have given Sather a B for lack of an impact on the team but this puts him at a solid A.

Old
07-27-2010, 12:38 PM
NYR Viper

I have been very impressed. I was actually impressed before Frolov and with this signing and contract I have to give him a solid B+ for this offseason. He filled some needs without overpaying(Boogard the slight exception). Hoping players like Weise and MZA have a chance to see some significant time this year but if not the 'Pack will be stacked this season:

Grachev
MZA
Weise
Byers
Stepan
Dupont

Old
07-27-2010, 12:40 PM
LamoTheKid

I give him an E for effort, but he's set the bar so low that its pretty hard to accurately judge one of his only decent offseasons as GM of the Rangers.

I'll wait to see what Big S does next summer or at the trade deadline.

Old
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrap View Post
Why even waste your effort just complain Sting? Seriously...let people be happy.

We got a good player today. Two of our top prospects turned pro. We finally have an enforcer that will earn his paycheck and we resigned one of our top young-core players to a solid deal. That's a lot to be happy about. Just because we didn't make a huge, flashy move doesn't make it bad.
What are you talking about? Where did I ever indicate that a lack of a big flashy move is at the root of my refusal to be overjoyed at what I see as another typical Rangers summer?

-I hate the Boogard signing. Worst contract of the UFA season.
-I loathe the McIlrath pick.
-I have absolutely no idea why the team feels it needed to keep Girardi for four years at a price he's yet to prove he deserves, especially when we supposedly have a great pool of young defensemen coming.
-Prospal and Frolov do what, exactly? Ensure that we'll, yet again, fail to be good enough to do anything in the playoffs or finish low enough to have a very high draft pick?

MZA? Great signing. Love it. Biron? Good move.

So...I'm pretty thrilled about one of the things he's done this summer, and the Biron signing was smart. I like that the signing of our own prospects is something to laud this guy over, too, but I guess that's how low the bar has been set. But hey, I almost forgot! At least he's finally rectified that problem of handing out the worst contract in post-lockout NHL history.

Old
FOXHOUND*

Until we sign staal i wont rest easy, but i will say this
It could have been worse
it could have been MUCH worse

Old
07-27-2010, 12:42 PM
Edge

Good signings aside, I have to admit that I don't know if this team is a playoff team. If it is, I don't expect much beyond the first round.

This is obviously a team that is seen as a stopgap to get us through until the young talent either emerges or moves on.

Old
07-27-2010, 12:42 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
Until we sign staal i wont rest easy, but i will say this
It could have been worse
it could have been MUCH worse
5 years 30 million worse.

Old
07-27-2010, 12:49 PM
BwayBshirt

Oh great, now you all have jinxed the rest of this summer for Sather...

*knocks on wood, crosses fingers, says a hail mary...*

Old
07-27-2010, 01:06 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Good signings aside, I have to admit that I don't know if this team is a playoff team. If it is, I don't expect much beyond the first round.

This is obviously a team that is seen as a stopgap to get us through until the young talent either emerges or moves on.
I agree. I think it can be a playoff team, though. That's gonna require some players stepping up a bit (a more even year out of Callahan, Dubinsky continuing what he did last year, Anisimov and Del Zotto getting better, etc) and other guys not losing more of a step (Drury, Prospal).

Despite what some say I think adding Frolov is better than the team that had Jokinen. I think Frolov brings a little more, and is a better compliment to Gaborik and better option for secondary scoring if the team wants to go that way.

Theoretically I wish the Rangers could have gotten Frolov for 2 years, so they could make a decision about keeping him longer if he does really well, and have the cap space to not worry about it with Drury and Rozsival coming off the books.

But yeah, still kind of a stop gap while waiting for prospects to step in. Maybe with a few slick moves they could transform the team into something a bit more at the deadline

Old
07-27-2010, 01:06 PM
Chief

Let's see, Sather has failed to address the biggest weakness on this team (first line center) and it's arguable whether or not this team is even as good as the team that just missed the playoffs last season and yet people are doing cartwheels about his performance this summer?

It just amazes me that we've gotten to the point where if our GM doesn't do something monumentally stupid, he gets a Gold Star for his summer.

Last edited by Chief: 07-27-2010 at 01:12 PM.
Old
07-27-2010, 01:08 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

The deals have all been very good. The Boogieman over Shelly deal stings a little but that will go away he goes out there and enforces for the team with passion and success.

Closed Thread