HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal was #1 priority for Éric Bélanger

Closed Thread

Old
07-27-2010, 12:27 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
I like Belanger but unfortunately with our cap situation and the fact we have some good young players who can pretty much do the same job for cheaper we gotta go that route

Old
07-27-2010, 12:29 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

vCash: 500
Awards:
Besides, Belanger will probably wind up signing a 1 year deal...2 at most. Hamrlik's franchise-destroying contract comes off the books after this season so we can spend all the money we want on Belanger in a year's time. Don't get your panties all twisted.

Old
07-27-2010, 12:32 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
If we keep filling spots with retreads and UFA's when are the kids going to get a chance?
Eller / Boyd as is projected by many on here is fine by me

This will be the year of the kid
Next year will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
Everybody says that he could be a nice bottom 6 player but the reality is that his agent and Belanger thought he could be a 60 pts player. He wanted to be the Habs second center! That would be awful; Plekanec is much better thant Belanger. He needs to realize that this kind of spot will not be given to him.
He's still not signed, he'll have to do what Moore did, so we still might get him.

Old
07-27-2010, 12:33 PM
la25ecoupe

What are the UFA next year?

Old
07-27-2010, 12:35 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
What are the UFA next year?
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-centra...r=2011&pos=ALL

Old
07-27-2010, 01:00 PM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
I've given up defending Hamrlik on this board. Half the posters don't watch games, and just assume that since he's over the age of 35 and getting paid more than 5M that he's terrible.
In HF world any D man over the age of 30 is a dinosaur who's bringing down the team (also would have negative value in any trade).

Old
07-27-2010, 01:05 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
In HF world any D man over the age of 30 is a dinosaur who's bringing down the team (also would have negative value in any trade).
True. They don't realize that defenseman hit their prime later than forwards. Hamrlik right now is on the downside of his prime. Sure he,s overpaid, but where could we find a young number 2 d who's trust worthy offensively and defensively and brings leadership and experience for less and without giving up a ton of other assets ?

Old
07-27-2010, 01:12 PM
AlexGalchenyuk94
NHL Managerial Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Hamrlik's contract is seriously hurting this franchise...
If it was hurting the organization that bad they would send him to Hamilton. Obviously I agree he shouldn't be making that kind of money, but there is a way out.

Old
07-27-2010, 01:16 PM
Pleky Roks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
First, Moore being great at faceoffs is a myth. He's about at 50% career wise and was below 50% in the playoffs.

Second, Eller as more talent and brings that extra possibility on the 3rd line that Moore will never give you (kind of like Giroux in Philadelphia).

Third, Moore is asking for a lot of $$$, like every year and not worth it. He is still unsigned you know!

Fourth, Price is not even arbitration eligible. He as NO bargaining power at all. Rediculous the concept of him having more power since we tarded Halak. Habs can literaly force him to sign a 1 year deal but they are looking at a deal that will please both parties instead of forcing your future star goalie.

Fifth, Price's deal would have been similar wheter signed before or after the Halak trade and NO, we still would not have more money for Moore or Belanger who both players we don't need BTW.

Sixth, Eller is ready next year, not in 3-4 years.

Seventh, too many things to correct in your post and I don't feel like correcting everything.

1. Moore is good on faceoffs and he is a veteran 3rd line center....something we need!!

2. Eller will not make an impact next season. He will be in the lineup and play 3rd line minutes, maybe even 4th line minutes and he won't generate many points next year.

3. We traded a 2nd round pick away for Moore so why do you think he's not worth the money he's asking for?? His speed and experience alone make him worth over $1 million.

4. If Price has no bargaining power, then how come he's not signed yet? The guy has only shown that he is worth about $1 million with his inconsistant play so far....make him sign a 3 year deal worth $3 million and don't overpay him because he might be good in 5 more years!!!!

5. Price's deal is obviously going to be a lot more than it would have been before Halak's trade, seeing that Price is NOW the #1 goalie, he's going to demand more money then he deserves. He might have signed for less if he thought Halak was going to be coming back and the Habs would keep both.

6. Eller being ready next season remains to be seen. He couldn't even be a regular in St Louis last year....so why is he all of a sudden NHL ready??? Like I said, he may be in the Habs lineup next year, but that doesn't mean he'll do anything.

7. You're opinion stinks!!!!

Old
07-27-2010, 01:17 PM
number 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Hamrlik's contract is seriously hurting this franchise...
I'll take a defenceman who can play 25+ solid mins over an overrated 3rd liner that washington doesn't even want.

people seem to forget who our number 1 defenceman was all of last season when markov was injured.

Old
07-27-2010, 01:19 PM
RE-HABS

Moore would have been a more realistic signing than that of Belanger. Just some more fuel to add to the fire for the Montreal media to complain about the lack of Quebecers.

Old
07-27-2010, 01:25 PM
habs93

Another Quebecer who got away like JP. Dumont..........

Old
07-27-2010, 01:32 PM
No Team Needed

i'm surprised by the reaction, or maybe i shouldn't be lol.

Belanger had 6 points in 17 games with a 52% face off percentage with the caps. in the playoffs, he had 1 point with a 66% face off percentage. at 32 years of age. and wants $2m.

Boyd had 5 points in 18 games with a 58% face off percentage with the predators. in the playoffs he had 0 points and a -1 but a 56% face off percentage. at 24 years of age. he signed for 650k.

now, belanger has better stats, especially when you include his time in minnesota where he played a lot of top six time there. including powerplay. but boyd is 8 years younger! with a 50+% face off percentage! meaning he'll only get better! plus he costs a fraction on a cap strapped team and hab fans are disappointed.

then again, i've been big on boyd since his time with moose jaw. he is one of the habs players i'm looking forward to seeing grow.

Old
07-27-2010, 01:36 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by number 11 View Post
I'll take a defenceman who can play 25+ solid mins over an overrated 3rd liner that washington doesn't even want.

people seem to forget who our number 1 defenceman was all of last season when markov was injured.
It was Subban, no?

Old
07-27-2010, 01:38 PM
Richiebottles
Moonemojibro

Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
Subban , Georges , Gill , Anyone but Hammer .

Old
07-27-2010, 01:41 PM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Besides, Belanger will probably wind up signing a 1 year deal...2 at most. Hamrlik's franchise-destroying contract comes off the books after this season so we can spend all the money we want on Belanger in a year's time. Don't get your panties all twisted.
You'd really think that's what it is.

A contract for a d-man who was an integral part of getting this team to number one in the conference a couple of years ago and to the final four this past year is seemingly considered franchise destroying here.

Having said that after his franchise-destroying contract comes off of the books then who will assume the honor of having the next franchise destroying contract that is keeping the Habs from signing the next Eric Belanger?

Old
07-27-2010, 01:42 PM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalakRulz View Post
1. Moore is good on faceoffs and he is a veteran 3rd line center....something we need!!

2. Eller will not make an impact next season. He will be in the lineup and play 3rd line minutes, maybe even 4th line minutes and he won't generate many points next year.

3. We traded a 2nd round pick away for Moore so why do you think he's not worth the money he's asking for?? His speed and experience alone make him worth over $1 million.

4. If Price has no bargaining power, then how come he's not signed yet? The guy has only shown that he is worth about $1 million with his inconsistant play so far....make him sign a 3 year deal worth $3 million and don't overpay him because he might be good in 5 more years!!!!

5. Price's deal is obviously going to be a lot more than it would have been before Halak's trade, seeing that Price is NOW the #1 goalie, he's going to demand more money then he deserves. He might have signed for less if he thought Halak was going to be coming back and the Habs would keep both.

6. Eller being ready next season remains to be seen. He couldn't even be a regular in St Louis last year....so why is he all of a sudden NHL ready??? Like I said, he may be in the Habs lineup next year, but that doesn't mean he'll do anything.

7. You're opinion stinks!!!!
I nominate "Eller is NHL ready" as the most over-used sentence on the Habs board lately. It's being thrown like that all the time as if it was the absolute truth, but fact is that it's just an optimistic prediction, and he's as green and unproven as you can get. I still see a big hole of uncertainty right now on our 3rd line.

Old
07-27-2010, 01:43 PM
Richiebottles
Moonemojibro

Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
You'd really think that's what it is.

A contract for a d-man who was an integral part of getting this team to number one in the conference a couple of years ago and to the final four this past year is seemingly considered franchise destroying here.

Having said that after his franchise-destroying contract comes off of the books then who will assume the honor of having the next franchise destroying contract that is keeping the Habs from signing the next Eric Belanger?
Gomez . 7.3 million that's who .

Old
07-27-2010, 01:44 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
I nominate "Eller is NHL ready" as the most over-used sentence on the Habs board lately. It's being thrown like that all the time as if it was the absolute truth, but fact is that it's just an optimistic prediction, and he's as green and unproven as you can get. I still see a big hole of uncertainty right now on our 3rd line.
that's because you know nothing about dustin boyd and consider your lack of knowledge to mean dustin boyd isn't good enough lol

Old
07-27-2010, 01:48 PM
TankEller*

Who the hell cares about Belanger, when Frolov could be had for 3M$ on a short term deal?

Old
07-27-2010, 01:59 PM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
that's because you know nothing about dustin boyd and consider your lack of knowledge to mean dustin boyd isn't good enough lol
Ehmmm I know about Dustin Boyd and I know he's far from a top 3rd line center in the NHL. You mean the Dustin Boyd that haven't even received a qualifying offer from the Predators, right?

Old
07-27-2010, 01:59 PM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

Imo im Happy that we didnt sign Belanger. Now don't get me wrong, i LOVE the guy... But if you look well. Our past 3rd line centers; Radek Bonk, Brian Smolinski, Robert Lang, Glen Metropolit. IMO, It was about time to change it a little bit and let a rookie take the spot

Old
07-27-2010, 02:02 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurentHabs View Post
Imo im Happy that we didnt sign Belanger. Now don't get me wrong, i LOVE the guy... But if you look well. Our past 3rd line centers; Radek Bonk, Brian Smolinski, Robert Lang, Glen Metropolit. IMO, It was about time to change it a little bit and let a rookie take the spot
As far as the rookie has a proven, veteran player to show him the way/carry some load on his back on his wing, I agree. Knowing that said player is probably going to be Lapierre, I'm not all that confident this is the ideal scenario for a guy like Eller.

Old
07-27-2010, 02:04 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
Ehmmm I know about Dustin Boyd and I know he's far from a top 3rd line center in the NHL. You mean the Dustin Boyd that haven't even received a qualifying offer from the Predators, right?
You mean the same Dustin Boyd that was the third line center for both the Flames and Predators?

The same Dustin Boyd that Flames fans still think highly of.

Dustin Boyd will be a fan favorite, mark my words.

Old
07-27-2010, 02:05 PM
gohabsgo2010

Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
I wish we had let Darche go and used his 500K towards on of these better veterans instead. If we're in playoff contention, we'll end up trading a 2nd or 3rd rounder for a guy like Belanger or Moore and the board will go insane again like they did this year!

Closed Thread