HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

What are the lines going to be next year?

Old
07-26-2010, 04:48 PM
DenverBoone

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
lol....oh God no. Testwuide might be good for about 30 to 35 at the height of his career, but no, definitely not a 40 goal guy.
To suggest Testwuide can score 30-35 goals in any season is overreaching. Testwuide has some goal scoring capability, but to judge him by his strong college statistics will lead you down a path of inevitable disappointment. He was a man among boys last year. Once he starts rubbing paint with guys his size, he likely won't see nearly as much production.

Testwuide is a decent skater for his size, he is not a very good skater as you previously suggested. I think Mike may be a servicable AHL player this year, but I wouldn't be surprised if he spends some time in the ECHL adjusting. He played primarily on an olympic rink for 4 years, so his board work is deficient, which is a problem cause that's where he will be spending a lot of his time.

After watching him play the last 4 years, (his brother played at DU, coincidentally) he improved each year. He is more of the mold of a Geoff Paukovich (who was once a highly-touted player who shared the same skill set as Testwuide who now languishes in the minors). He is not a Joe Colborne, who has similar size, less physical play, but is much more gifted and has a much better shot making the NHL.

At best I could see Mike cracking the lineup in 2-3 years as a 4th line mucker, and no thats not because I hate CC, but it's from 4 years of observing him play. There is too much unnecessary hype surrounding this kid, don't annoint him yet.

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 05:07 PM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

JVR - Richards - Zherdev
Hartnell - Briere - Leino
Assman - Carter - Giroux
Lappy - Betts - Powe

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 05:18 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBoone View Post
To suggest Testwuide can score 30-35 goals in any season is overreaching. Testwuide has some goal scoring capability, but to judge him by his strong college statistics will lead you down a path of inevitable disappointment. He was a man among boys last year. Once he starts rubbing paint with guys his size, he likely won't see nearly as much production.

Testwuide is a decent skater for his size, he is not a very good skater as you previously suggested. I think Mike may be a servicable AHL player this year, but I wouldn't be surprised if he spends some time in the ECHL adjusting. He played primarily on an olympic rink for 4 years, so his board work is deficient, which is a problem cause that's where he will be spending a lot of his time.

After watching him play the last 4 years, (his brother played at DU, coincidentally) he improved each year. He is more of the mold of a Geoff Paukovich (who was once a highly-touted player who shared the same skill set as Testwuide who now languishes in the minors). He is not a Joe Colborne, who has similar size, less physical play, but is much more gifted and has a much better shot making the NHL.

At best I could see Mike cracking the lineup in 2-3 years as a 4th line mucker, and no thats not because I hate CC, but it's from 4 years of observing him play. There is too much unnecessary hype surrounding this kid, don't annoint him yet.
Obviously you know more about him than most of us, but from what I've seen from him he seems legit. He has a good touch, big body, plays physical, can lead, so on...He seems like a scorer, in the right place at the right time. From a lot of the videos and I've watched it seems like he has a good hockey sense, it's just a matter of him needing someone to set him up. I realized he'll most likely never be a 35-40 goal scorer, but I think he'll eventually be a decent 2nd line plug (this is like 3-4 years down the road by the way).

Big players need a lot of time to develop and bulk up/adjust at each level. I really want to see how he does with a full AHL season. I think it will be very telling of how good he actually can be.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 07:30 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBoone View Post

You have your opinion. He is a better skater than you give him credit for. And if he has to spend time in the ECHL,then you will have proved a lot of professional hockey people wrong. There is no way you can know what is inside him and what makes him tick. How can you compare him to players when he has not even stepped on the ice yet? On the pro level.So you are saying the best he has to offer is to be a 26 year old rookie on the 4th line?
Come on dude really. To say you are being objective is BS and that is my opinion

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 08:36 PM
jb**

Testicles will not even sniff playing with Richards. Not a knock on him either. He will be an early cut from camp. He will play in a pre season game or 2 game just to get a tatse. Their team is set. They will not be playing rookies to see what they have right now. there is a slim chance anyone from the phantoms makes the team as thing stands right now, no matter how they plays (unless absolutely lights out). Any chance he recieves to play in the nhl will be how he plays and adapts in the AHL. That combined with injuires and poor play from other players. As was said earlier, he ha sbeen a man amung boys.Lets see how he plays with players his own age and size or bigger as well as a much more physical style.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 08:42 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Too many possibilities I think there are some major questions though such as who plays significant time at LW? Personally I would like to see Zherdev put on his off wing and oriented somewhat like Vanek, just a pure gun, let it rip. He is not a poor passer but his willingness comes and goes. Beyond that, what we NEED from him is goal scoring.

The other question is who plays center between Briere or Giroux at the start of the year? With Betts out it seems logical that Giroux will return to his role centering the third line but he also seems like a great fit as a winger with Carter IMO.

Could imagine the opening lineups looking like:

Zherdev-Richards-Carcillo
JVR-Carter-Giroux
Hartnell-Briere-Leino
Shelley-Lappy-Powe

or perhaps
Zherdev-Richards-Briere
Hartnell-Carter-Giroux
JVR-Powe-Leino
Shelley-Lappy-Carcillo

Andrew Knoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 08:59 PM
jb**

I can still see a dman and Carcillo being moved. Maybe just Carcillo then sign a Raffi torres vet type on the cheap for a little more than Carcillos salary. Then a goalie brought in and another top 6 more likely a legitimate top 9 winger. Carcillo is ok in short spurts, not sure he can do it on a consistent basis. Powe belongs no where near the top 9. Still want to see what vet hasnt signed come cmap time and who Shooter iwll invite and take a chance on. Shellye isnt sitting in the press box unless he absolutely sucks up the joint. So get used to him playing people.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 11:51 AM
Go For It

vCash: 50
JVR-Richards-Zherdev
Hartnell-Giroux-Leino
Carcillo-Carter-Briere
Lappy-Betts/Powe-Powe/Shelley
Shelley/AHLer

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 12:08 PM
bballeric

what do you think the lines will be for the playoffs?

bballeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 12:19 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballeric View Post
what do you think the lines will be for the playoffs?
That's way too far away to even speculate.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 12:38 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post
Third line minutes? We don't even have a third line, it's basically:

1a- Richards
1b- Briere
1c- Giroux
4th line -Betts/Powe

I like it, I like it.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 12:45 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Duberstein View Post

The other question is who plays center between Briere or Giroux at the start of the year? With Betts out it seems logical that Giroux will return to his role centering the third line but he also seems like a great fit as a winger with Carter IMO.

Could imagine the opening lineups looking like:

Zherdev-Richards-Carcillo
JVR-Carter-Giroux
Hartnell-Briere-Leino
Shelley-Lappy-Powe

or perhaps
Zherdev-Richards-Briere
Hartnell-Carter-Giroux
JVR-Powe-Leino
Shelley-Lappy-Carcillo
Question for you.....when Carter does not distribute the puck well, has not as good open ice vision, cannot pass the puck as well, why do you insist on putting Carter at center over Giroux who during the playoffs was called one of the best young stars in the playoffs and created space just by handling the puck and gaining the blueline?

Personally I see Giroux as a horrible fit for Carter and Briere has languished at the wing spot over last season and once he was moved to center he scored the second most playoff points EVER since the Great One, over 20 years. At least to start the season Carter needs to come in ready to accept whatever position is given to him, with his skating ability and shot I would think the transition to either wing should not be a hangup, if he wants to be a team player and accept his role.

Old
07-27-2010, 02:03 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
That's way too far away to even speculate.
I think that was a joke....

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 02:14 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Question for you.....when Carter does not distribute the puck well, has not as good open ice vision, cannot pass the puck as well, why do you insist on putting Carter at center over Giroux who during the playoffs was called one of the best young stars in the playoffs and created space just by handling the puck and gaining the blueline?

Personally I see Giroux as a horrible fit for Carter and Briere has languished at the wing spot over last season and once he was moved to center he scored the second most playoff points EVER since the Great One, over 20 years. At least to start the season Carter needs to come in ready to accept whatever position is given to him, with his skating ability and shot I would think the transition to either wing should not be a hangup, if he wants to be a team player and accept his role.
I was really happy to put you on ignore.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 02:45 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
I was really happy to put you on ignore.
Ohhh, ignore, for the immature. Good to hear.

Old
07-27-2010, 08:43 PM
ph

Zherdev-Richards-Leino
Hartnell-Carter-JVR
Powe-Briere-Giroux
Lappy-Betts-Nodl
Carcillo/Shelley

ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 08:50 PM
mypunkrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph View Post
Zherdev-Richards-Leino
Hartnell-Carter-JVR
Powe-Briere-Giroux
Lappy-Betts-Nodl
Carcillo/Shelley
Loved that line in the playoffs two years ago.

mypunkrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 09:08 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Can anyone please explain to me why people still insist on putting Jeff Carter at center when the best hockey of the year was played with Richards, Briere, Giroux at center?

Sorry Jeffie, but you just got played out of position, maybe instead of knocking up the ladies and knocking down the beers you should be learning how to play the wing and get a little more physical sonny.
Because Briere could be a -50 even in a 90 pt season with his defensive 'skills' at center.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 09:20 AM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph View Post
Zherdev-Richards-Leino
Hartnell-Carter-JVR
Powe-Briere-Giroux
Lappy-Betts-Nodl
Carcillo/Shelley
Extremely close to my lines, except that I don't think you can trot three midgets on the 3rd line out there together on a consistent basis, which is why I gave Briere and Giroux Carcillo, not to mention Carcillo's hands>>Powe's hands, not that that is saying much, haha.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 12:22 PM
Villedelphia*

JVR - Rich - Zherdev
Leino -Giroux -briere
Hartnell - carter - Carcillo
shelley/powe -betts-lappy
shelley/powe

Villedelphia* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 01:25 PM
Go For It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
I think that was a joke....
It's not. He's been asking the same exact questions on the Philly.com boards.

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 01:45 PM
Haute Couturier

Anthony San Filippo held a chat today and he thinks they are going to move Richards to the wing which I think is ridiculous.

Haute Couturier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 03:06 PM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Anthony San Filippo held a chat today and he thinks they are going to move Richards to the wing which I think is ridiculous.
It especially doesn't make sense if it's with Carter. The biggest issue having Giroux and Briere as the 2nd and 3rd center is that neither one of them are great defensive centers (Giroux is a good 2 way winger but hes not half the defensive center that Carter is let alone Richards). He also had Carcillo with Giroux and JVR, why the hell wouldn't we have just let him go and kept Asham if we were going to stick a far lesser skilled forward.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 03:11 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Because Briere could be a -50 even in a 90 pt season with his defensive 'skills' at center.
And you explain the 23 post-season games with 12 goals, 18 assists, 30pts and a +9 while playing center how?

Old
07-28-2010, 03:27 PM
Jumping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
He did it in the Olympics and that ended up pretty well.

Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote