HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Might not spend to the cap to start the season

Old
07-27-2010, 01:50 PM
n_a_c

vCash: 500
Might not spend to the cap to start the season

Since the cap was put in place, the Rangers have always spent right up to it. To the point of not carrying a 7th defenseman for long stretches. It seems to me that Sather is surgical with his signings & trades and there is a lot more planning going on than one might think at a glace.

Right now, it looks like we might go into the season a couple million under the cap. If we do, I predict that space is there for a potential late season trade. In fact, a particular late season trade - for an expensive soon to be UFA center named Richards.

Thoughts?

n_a_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 01:54 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_a_c View Post
Since the cap was put in place, the Rangers have always spent right up to it. To the point of not carrying a 7th defenseman for long stretches. It seems to me that Sather is surgical with his signings & trades and there is a lot more planning going on than one might think at a glace.

Right now, it looks like we might go into the season a couple million under the cap. If we do, I predict that space is there for a potential late season trade. In fact, a particular late season trade - for an expensive soon to be UFA center named Richards.

Thoughts?
Trading for him at the end of the season makes no sense unless he's the missing piece of a Rangers cup team. (Yeah right)

otherwise he's UFA, that can be had for no assets going the other way after the season.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 01:59 PM
NYR Viper

I think Torts really wants to carry a 7th defenseman for the entire season. Last year both Gilroy and MDZ needed time off but Torts couldn't give them a game off. That is why the Eminger deal was made.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 02:17 PM
n_a_c

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
I think Torts really wants to carry a 7th defenseman for the entire season. Last year both Gilroy and MDZ needed time off but Torts couldn't give them a game off. That is why the Eminger deal was made.
Hmm... that would make more sense than my original thought, especially since the price for Richards might be high, and Sather wont be inclined to pay it if he doesn't feel he needs to.

n_a_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 02:22 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

The only reason we are not spending to the cap is because the summer cap is holding us back.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 02:23 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by n_a_c View Post
Since the cap was put in place, the Rangers have always spent right up to it.
not true until about the third capped season.

Thirty One is online now   Reply With Quote