HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Agree to Terms with Frolov (1Y @ $3MM)

Closed Thread

Old
07-27-2010, 01:33 PM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
This makes me wonder about the Prospal signing even more. I would think it would have been Frolov OR Prospal. Not both.

Love the signing, hopefully we get to see at least 2 young players this year get significant time.

Old
07-27-2010, 01:35 PM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

Great signing. If he's on a line with Gaborik he could put 70+ points again. More likely he'll play on the 2nd line and roundout your top6.

Also, this guy is better than Zherdov. So i wouldn't make the comparisons.

Decent price, good term to take a risk on him.

Old
07-27-2010, 01:36 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

People seem to be having a whole lot of trouble wrapping their heads around the concept of Chemistry.

If Christensen plays the best with Gaborik, he will center the first line, regardless of any preconceived notions about the importance of an HFboards-approval seal stamped #1 center.

Im much happier with Christensen for 2 years, as a stopgap with Gaborik then I would be being stuck with Savard until he is 40, or Richards taking up cap space.

Old
07-27-2010, 01:36 PM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrikTheKing30 View Post
You can't not like this deal.

After signing Staal, it means the end of Redden. All the needs to be said.

And if Frolov ****s the bed, flip him at the trade deadline for picks to a contender or let him walk.

Nice job Sather.
Yup. Just like we did with Prospal and Jokinen last seas... oh... wait.

Old
07-27-2010, 01:38 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
This makes me wonder about the Prospal signing even more. I would think it would have been Frolov OR Prospal. Not both.

Love the signing, hopefully we get to see at least 2 young players this year get significant time.
I think it gives them some room to adjust. Dubinsky might play as a center or a LW, depending on how he performs.

Frolov might play on the first line's LW is Dubinsky isn't there.

Christensen could play on a few different lines depending on how things shake out.

Proposal in different positions or lines, depending on the situation.

Admitedly, the roster is pretty average. But considering that this team's success depends on the emergence of young talent over the next three years, it is what it is.

Old
07-27-2010, 01:40 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
So who's starting the carpool for Redden to Hartford?

Old
07-27-2010, 01:44 PM
Richer 44

Congrats blue bloods. I like it, he gets a trial year at not a huge cost. If he performs you can extend him if he blows you cut him loose and he will go to the KHL at that point.

I think he is underrated but also unproven at this point. Good luck..

Old
07-27-2010, 01:45 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Dammit. This will do nothing for the team except make the draft pick a couple selections lower.
In a weak draft year like 2011 is universally projected to be from what I read, it's not the end of the world.

Old
07-27-2010, 01:49 PM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredden View Post
NYP_Brooksie

Including Frolov contract, Rangers have approximately $6.8M remaining under summer cap. Team is not in distress regarding Staal.
Operative words being "summer-cap"

How will they ever get under the cap by the time play starts in October?

(Redden gone Redden gone Redden gone Redden gone Redden gone pleazzzzzeeeee)

Old
07-27-2010, 01:52 PM
AJRanger

So, either Redden's down or Sather's got a salary-dump trade up his sleeve. Interesting either way.

Old
07-27-2010, 01:54 PM
In The Flesh

Really like it for 1 yr.

Old
07-27-2010, 02:01 PM
Salvage21

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
Not a bad lineup at all... What about MZA?? also, I would put Drury centering the 2nd line and have AA centering the 3rd line... I would also have Avery on the third line and have Prust on the 4th line...

Prospal-Christensen-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Drury-Frolov
Avery-Anisimov-Callahan
Prust-Boyle-Boogard

Staal-Girardi
MDZ-Roszival
McDonagh-Eminger/Redden

***solid depth all around.. Torts can mix and match and figure out who has the best chemistry together**
I don't want to hijack this thread with line combos, considering we already have a thread like that.. but my thinking was that Anisimov plays his best with size on his wing.. and just about the only size the Rangers have is Dubinsky. I also think that Anisimov took big strides the last quarter of the season that he deserves a chance on the second line with some talent. With more help in the top six, Drury and Callahan can revert back to roles which suit them best, shut-down checking line forwards.

And quite honestly, I just didn't know where MZA fits in the mix. If he's capable of making the Rangers top six, maybe that bumps Christensen down a couple of lines and maybe even bumps Boyle into a healthy scratch with Avery centering the fourth line. But if MZA needs time to adjust to North America, the line of MZA-Stepan-Grachev is nothing to scoff at.

Old
07-27-2010, 02:05 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
There's 1 name that doesn't fit on that list of top 6. Guess who. The sad part is some of you have him playing the most important position on the club.
I know what you're saying here hp, but the way I look at it, Christensen is either a top 6 player or a scratch/AHL guy. He doesn't have value in a checking role, and given his two year contract and chemistry with Gaborik, he's a safe bet to be in the nightly top 6. Like it or not (and honestly, I'm one of the guys who kind of likes it), he's part of our top 6.

Old
07-27-2010, 02:07 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

I like that it's for a year. That's it.

But I'd like to see the young have spots to take.

Whatever.

Old
07-27-2010, 02:13 PM
emodwarf

Nice, I like this move, though I wish it had been 2 years. Still, this gives us some nice secondary scoring on the right wing.

And while Christensen isn't a first line center in the traditional sense, he has chemistry with our first line winger AND his very affordable salary cap hit means we were able to afford a move like signing Frolov.

And like Heisenberg said, Christensen doesn't make sense in the bottom 6 and has no trade value. We're not winning the cup this year, so why not at least try to be competitive within the unfortunate constraints we currently have?

Old
07-27-2010, 02:13 PM
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !

Just happy Thx Sather!!!!

Old
07-27-2010, 02:27 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

yes...

Old
07-27-2010, 02:29 PM
ZMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers32185 View Post
So who's starting the carpool for Redden to Hartford?

Old
07-27-2010, 02:34 PM
SLang

This is not a good signing, it is a GREAT signing for you guys, considering the term and $$$.

You will, at times, get VERY frustrated with Frolov, but much of the time, you will love him. His puck-possession skill is unparalleled. He has a wicked shot. He will dig into the corners and battle for the puck.

Beware though, occasionally, he will do none of the above and you will wonder WTF he is thinking. That will, hopefully for you, be mitigated by the fact that he should be motivated by playing in New York and by the fact that his 1 yr. deal means he is in another contract year.

The only negative here is for the year(s) after this upcoming season....if he tears it up for you this year you're going to want him longer term and it's going to cost you more cap space....then pray the "other" Frolov doesn't start showing up more.

Good luck to you AND Fro!

Old
07-27-2010, 02:35 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

$3 million. Can't go wrong there at all. I'm exciting about this one!

Frolov is probably banking on this year raising his value and Sather is probably banking on signing him for a longer term (at a somewhat discount) if it works out for Frolov in Blue.

I'm actually thinking Anisimov and Frolov will get a chance together. Frolov seems like the type of forward Anisimov will strive with - although both play the puck posession style more or less.

Old
07-27-2010, 02:35 PM
xxxZENxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Dammit. This will do nothing for the team except make the draft pick a couple selections lower.
It will make them watchable!

Old
07-27-2010, 02:37 PM
TomLaidlaw

I was against signing Frolov when the rumors of our interest in him started to pop up. I was terrified that we would hand him a 5 year 4.5mill per type contract. It would have been a typical Ranger move. However, this one year deal for the reported 3mill is an absolute no brainer. The risk reward in this type of a deal is excellent. I like the idea of getting a player who has something to prove. I think he is an ideal player to play with Gabby. He can do a lot of the grunt work along the boards. Plus, the thing he gives us is another guy who is outstanding in the puck possession department. Between him and Dubi we now have two guys who can really hold onto the puck in the offensive zone.

From a cap perspective one of these two things have to happen now for us to be under to start the season right?

1)Waive Redden
or
2)Trade Rozy for very little salary coming back.

My dream of never seeing Redden in a Ranger uniform again is a real possibility.

Old
07-27-2010, 02:37 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

1 year 3 million, I had hoped for less than 3 but I'm ok with it. The value should be there. Seems like Slats is slowly coming around to reasonable contracts.

Old
07-27-2010, 02:38 PM
gravey9

Frolov seems to score most of his goals from in front of the net or on breakaways. He is not a sniper per se. But a guy who knows how to use his size and speed to get position in front of the net and on the boards. And has tricky moves in tight.

He could do wonders on the power play once they set up. I can't tell if he'll mesh better with someone like Gaborik at regular strength or if he'll be better suited on a second line with Anisimov and/or a dubinsky type. IMO - I actually think if you put a line together of Anisimov, Frolov and Grachev they would be a royal pain in the ass to get the puck away from once they get cycling. Of course, getting into the zone, getting possession and setting up is another thing.

Old
07-27-2010, 02:40 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravey9 View Post
Frolov seems to score most of his goals from in front of the net or on breakaways. He is not a sniper per se. But a guy who knows how to use his size and speed to get position in front of the net and on the boards. And has tricky moves in tight.

He could do wonders on the power play once they set up. I can't tell if he'll mesh better with someone like Gaborik at regular strength or if he'll be better suited on a second line with Anisimov and/or a dubinsky type. IMO - I actually think if you put a line together of Anisimov, Frolov and Grachev they would be a royal pain in the ass to get the puck away from once they get cycling. Of course, getting into the zone, getting possession and setting up is another thing.
I think you nailed it. Anisimov is a cycle player, as is Grachev, and that line would be solid.

Too bad Grachev isnt ready.

Closed Thread