HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alexei Ponikarovsky signs 1 year, 3.2M cap hit deal with Kings

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-27-2010, 02:54 PM
  #26
MxK1NGS
Registered User
 
MxK1NGS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 2,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabwaylingo View Post
Nagy 2.0?
Exaactly what I am thinking...

MxK1NGS is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 02:54 PM
  #27
JBernierFan
Drink up!
 
JBernierFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego
Country: United States
Posts: 3,789
vCash: 500
Wonder what number he'll wear. Definately not #23! LOL. No term/years out yet.

I think it's funny how times change. Most of us wanted Poni at the trade deadline if we didn't have to give up much. Now no one seems too happy about it. Is it because he failed in Pittsburgh? I think he could be decent on our top two lines. He had 50 points in 71 games this past season between the two teams and 61 the year before. Seems like he's always good for about 20 goals. Not too far off from Fro's numbers to be honest.

JBernierFan is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 02:54 PM
  #28
Reaper45
Registered User
 
Reaper45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 30,795
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty, eh? View Post
He was awful in Pittsburgh. Hopefully he can play like he did in TO. Overall, a "meh" signing.....I think Dean got desperate.
Desperate would've been signing him right after missing out on Kovalchuk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F0rsbergFan21 View Post
Poni is a big dude who can go 20-20 easy. There are worse signings.
Exactly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabwaylingo View Post
Nagy 2.0?
Not even close.

Reaper45 is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 02:55 PM
  #29
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!
 
KopitarFAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lost Wages, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 9,648
vCash: 500
We should all be elated that Parse won't be the #2 LW.

KopitarFAN is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 02:55 PM
  #30
Brian Huddle
Future Consideration
 
Brian Huddle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Cambridge, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 196
vCash: 500
He's good for 20 goals, but he doesn't use his size at all.

And everyone will get frustrated when he gets holding/hooking/tripping penalties in the Offensive Zone cause he gets lazy and doesn't skate.

If it's under 2.75, good signing. Over 3 Mill and Lombardi should shake his head.

Brian Huddle is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 02:56 PM
  #31
Live in the Now
YNWA
 
Live in the Now's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: LA
Country: United States
Posts: 31,710
vCash: 500
Awards:
Good signing. I wanted him at the deadline.

Live in the Now is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 02:56 PM
  #32
scramble91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 984
vCash: 500
hope the term is 1 year...this guy couldnt even get it going with Crosby or Malkin as a center...

This is what i was afraid of. I would rather have let the kids play than sign players like this. I hope he shuts me up...but he doesnt do much to upgrade the team imo.

scramble91 is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 02:57 PM
  #33
MxK1NGS
Registered User
 
MxK1NGS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 2,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
Wonder what number he'll wear. Definately not #23! LOL. No term/years out yet.

I think it's funny how times change. Most of us wanted Poni at the trade deadline if we didn't have to give up much. Now no one seems too happy about it. Is it because he failed in Pittsburgh? I think he could be decent on our top two lines. He had 50 points in 71 games this past season between the two teams and 61 the year before. Seems like he's always good for about 20 goals. Not too far off from Fro's numbers to be honest.
24....

MxK1NGS is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 02:57 PM
  #34
DAkings20
Kings can't score
 
DAkings20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Valencia, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 12,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
Wonder what number he'll wear. Definately not #23! LOL. No term/years out yet.

I think it's funny how times change. Most of us wanted Poni at the trade deadline if we didn't have to give up much. Now no one seems too happy about it. Is it because he failed in Pittsburgh? I think he could be decent on our top two lines. He had 50 points in 71 games this past season between the two teams and 61 the year before. Seems like he's always good for about 20 goals. Not too far off from Fro's numbers to be honest.
I think its mainly because peoples expectations went from Kovy to seeing that we signed Poni. I personally don't mind the singing at all, I like his size and he could definitely put up 20+ goals.

DAkings20 is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 02:57 PM
  #35
lak4ever
Registered User
 
lak4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Valley Girl
Country: United States
Posts: 2,930
vCash: 500
http://twitter.com/DarrenDreger

Here is the link.

lak4ever is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 02:58 PM
  #36
Fat Elvis
Registered User
 
Fat Elvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Money Pit
Country: United States
Posts: 5,307
vCash: 500
My guess is that he signed for less than 3mil for a couple seasons. Size and a good shot on wing and decent on the PP.

Fat Elvis is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 02:58 PM
  #37
Omni Owl
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
 
Omni Owl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Desperate would've been signing him right after missing out on Kovalchuk.


Exactly.


Not even close.
I hope you're right...

Omni Owl is online now  
Old
07-27-2010, 02:59 PM
  #38
Reaper45
Registered User
 
Reaper45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 30,795
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
Wonder what number he'll wear. Definately not #23! LOL. No term/years out yet.

I think it's funny how times change. Most of us wanted Poni at the trade deadline if we didn't have to give up much. Now no one seems too happy about it. Is it because he failed in Pittsburgh? I think he could be decent on our top two lines. He had 50 points in 71 games this past season between the two teams and 61 the year before. Seems like he's always good for about 20 goals. Not too far off from Fro's numbers to be honest.
Because Kings fans are the biggest group of fickle, manic people you can have. They all want the shiny new toy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scramble91 View Post
hope the term is 1 year...this guy couldnt even get it going with Crosby or Malkin as a center...

This is what i was afraid of. I would rather have let the kids play than sign players like this. I hope he shuts me up...but he doesnt do much to upgrade the team imo.
Not a lot of people can get going with Crosby and Malkin. Everyone though Kunitz would too.

Reaper45 is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 02:59 PM
  #39
BigBrown
They did it again!
 
BigBrown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,198
vCash: 500
Sounds like a poor mans Frolov, just more prone to taking penalties. I really was hoping for something better to come along.

BigBrown is online now  
Old
07-27-2010, 03:00 PM
  #40
Ollie Weeks
Registered User
 
Ollie Weeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sioux Lookout, NWO
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,176
vCash: 500
I'm cool with it. I don't think anybody will be trying to force Poni into a shutdown role at least, so there's that. Welcome to the Kings.

Ollie Weeks is online now  
Old
07-27-2010, 03:01 PM
  #41
Shellz
Registered User
 
Shellz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: California
Posts: 17,314
vCash: 500
Lots of whiners in here.

If Dean didn't over pay, I think it's a good signing. I guess we will just have to wait and see how he plays. I think him and Kopitar would do very well together.

Shellz is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 03:02 PM
  #42
Belanger25
ZUES!
 
Belanger25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Upland
Country: Italy
Posts: 3,735
vCash: 500
At least he's tall.

Belanger25 is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 03:02 PM
  #43
Shellz
Registered User
 
Shellz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: California
Posts: 17,314
vCash: 500
Maybe even him and Handzus?

Shellz is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 03:02 PM
  #44
MxK1NGS
Registered User
 
MxK1NGS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 2,830
vCash: 500
On TSN as well: http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=328665

MxK1NGS is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 03:03 PM
  #45
Brad Doty
Moderator
Compliance Hero
 
Brad Doty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: I.E.
Country: United States
Posts: 11,269
vCash: 500
Splash.

Let's see the terms.

And let's see how he can handle TM's system.

Brad Doty is online now  
Old
07-27-2010, 03:04 PM
  #46
toquerasta
Registered User
 
toquerasta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 924
vCash: 500
Coming from a Leafs fan there are things you will like, and there will be things you dislike about him. Either way you needed another top-six forward and you got him, he may not be the difference maker you wanted but he should certainly do the job for now.

Pros: Plays a very sound defensive game, should compliment guys like Stoll and Handzus well in that regard. Pretty consistent, not afraid to shoot but not a selfish player and isn't a hog or anything like that. Good for 20-25 goals and 25-35 assists.

Cons: Despite his size he won't play a power forward type game at all, doesn't really drive the net and sort of shies away from that intense aspect of the game (though he isn't bad on the forecheck by any stretch). His will to win can definitely be questioned as well (though that might just be hand in hand with playing on the Leafs for so long). I think the ultimate thing you have to worry about is why he was a healthy scratch in the playoffs: was it because he was playing poor because he didn't care enough, or that he cared so much that he was cracking under the pressure? I'm sure you guys will find out soon enough.

Good luck, he's certainly a guy who I think you guys will like, but like I said he isn't a difference maker by any means. Good stop gap til you find that star sniper you're looking for.

toquerasta is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 03:04 PM
  #47
Reaper45
Registered User
 
Reaper45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 30,795
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Bunch of ****ing babies in this place.

Reaper45 is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 03:05 PM
  #48
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter
 
alpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sweden and Slovenia
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 4,770
vCash: 500
Hmm? He can score on break-aways....which Fro couldn't.

I'm convinced that this was Lombardis B-plan if Frolov leaves.


Last edited by alpa: 07-27-2010 at 03:11 PM.
alpa is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 03:07 PM
  #49
Chazz Reinhold
Registered User
 
Chazz Reinhold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The Stanley Cup
Country: United States
Posts: 6,945
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by toquerasta View Post
Coming from a Leafs fan there are things you will like, and there will be things you dislike about him. Either way you needed another top-six forward and you got him, he may not be the difference maker you wanted but he should certainly do the job for now.

Pros: Plays a very sound defensive game, should compliment guys like Stoll and Handzus well in that regard. Pretty consistent, not afraid to shoot but not a selfish player and isn't a hog or anything like that. Good for 20-25 goals and 25-35 assists.

Cons: Despite his size he won't play a power forward type game at all, doesn't really drive the net and sort of shies away from that intense aspect of the game (though he isn't bad on the forecheck by any stretch). His will to win can definitely be questioned as well (though that might just be hand in hand with playing on the Leafs for so long). I think the ultimate thing you have to worry about is why he was a healthy scratch in the playoffs: was it because he was playing poor because he didn't care enough, or that he cared so much that he was cracking under the pressure? I'm sure you guys will find out soon enough.

Good luck, he's certainly a guy who I think you guys will like, but like I said he isn't a difference maker by any means. Good stop gap til you find that star sniper you're looking for.
How's his skating?

Chazz Reinhold is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 03:07 PM
  #50
Live in the Now
YNWA
 
Live in the Now's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: LA
Country: United States
Posts: 31,710
vCash: 500
Awards:
It seems like people are judging this signing based on him being a former Leaf, or are mad at DL for their own reasons and want to take it out in this thread.

Get over it. Those two things are not going to be tolerated. If you want to judge the signing on its merits, fine, but if you're mad about either of those two things, keep that talk out of here.

Live in the Now is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:48 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.