HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alexei Ponikarovsky signs 1 year, 3.2M cap hit deal with Kings

Closed Thread

Old
07-27-2010, 03:09 PM
Shaun_W_W

vCash: 500
I as well as many other Leaf fans really liked him and hoped he would resign cheap after flopping in Pitts. I think he should do well for you guys and consistently put up 20 goals. Doesn't hit at all but is can decently protect the puck. A couple years back he got his Canadian citizenship so I thought he might stay in Canada as a first option...

Old
07-27-2010, 03:10 PM
DeeMeck

He isn't going to get the number he is used to wearing.

Old
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Good signing. I expect we will see him with Handzus to start out.

From what I have been reading he seems to like to shoot a bit more than Frolov, and is responsible defensively. Plus we all know that Zeus makes any winger that plays with him better. I expect he will be a good fit with Murray's system. Kids like Moller, Loktionov, and Schenn are going to have to step it up if they want to make the team. Lots of competition in camp among the youngsters and that is a very good thing.

Let's see the terms. I'm guessing 2-3 years for a cap hit of around $2.5-$3M.

Old
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Pretty much an even swap with Frolov outside of enigmatic potential.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Old
07-27-2010, 03:11 PM
Brian Huddle
Future Consideration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
How's his skating?
Certainly not slow, but not an assett either.

He gets around for a guy his size.

He's also prone to HUGE brain farts. Once in a game against Carolina he had an open net (Goalie pulled) with a minute in the game, and he didn't shoot, and had the puck stripped-- only to have Brindamour score and tie the game before they won in Overtime.

Old
07-27-2010, 03:11 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Frolov's last two seasons: 158 GP, 51G, 59A, 110 P
Ponikarovsky's last two seasons: 159 GP, 44G, 67A, 111P

If you go back further than Frolov's track record is better, but over the last two seasons their production's remarkably similar. It's pretty much a lateral move in that respect.

Old
07-27-2010, 03:12 PM
Shaun_W_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
How's his skating?
Pretty decent for a big man. Nothing great but fairly average, he is a good complimentary player and played very well with Kessel and Bozak before the trade deadline.

Old
07-27-2010, 03:14 PM
tokenmetalhead*

Another Leaf fan here. He's a good player, somewhat of a tweener 2nd-3rd line winger. He hits a bit but never lays out any devastating checks like you'd think a player as big as him (that apparently hits that much) would do.

He provides a nice level of offence, you can probably count on 45-55 points from him, 20 goals are practically a certainty. He's underrated defensively, but he's not a PK-unit type of forward.

He plays well in a variety of roles, he can be a complimentary winger on the 1st line, though much more suited for the 2nd, and is a pretty effective 3rd liner for reasons I described above. He's not overly fast or a good skater, but he is strong on his skates and has an OK shot. Like was mentioned earlier, however, he's not the kind of guy who stays put in front of the net - he just doesn't seem up to the punishment that goes with being a true net-crasher.

And he began taking some ridiculous penalties in his last season or two with the Leafs, like when we were on the PP or in the attacking zone. Funny thing is, he doesn't take too many penalties overall so it's frustrating that when he does, they come at the worst time possible.

Overall he's honestly a good hockey player, he just got a bad rep being a default 1st liner in Toronto and not producing when he played with Malkin. I wouldn't expect a repeat performance of his time with the Penguins.

Old
07-27-2010, 03:15 PM
scramble91

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Good signing. I expect we will see him with Handzus to start out.

From what I have been reading he seems to like to shoot a bit more than Frolov, and is responsible defensively. Plus we all know that Zeus makes any winger that plays with him better.

Let's see the terms. I'm guessing 2-3 years for a cap hit of around $2.5-$3M.
So you think he will be on the 3rd line? From what i know of him, he really isnt a great shutdown guy which scares me. (helene is bashing him lol)

I dont think he will fit with Stoll on the 2nd line because there are no real playmakers on that line.

Be interesting to see where they put him.

Old
07-27-2010, 03:15 PM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Sounds like a stopgap. We could do much worse than Ponikarovsky while waiting for a legitimate top line winger to become available. Pretty excited to see how he fares here.

Old
07-27-2010, 03:16 PM
Shaun_W_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booj View Post
Certainly not slow, but not an assett either.

He gets around for a guy his size.

He's also prone to HUGE brain farts. Once in a game against Carolina he had an open net (Goalie pulled) with a minute in the game, and he didn't shoot, and had the puck stripped-- only to have Brindamour score and tie the game before they won in Overtime.
This incident is constantly brought up because its the only real major brain fart he has had. You shouldn't really worry about this, all Leafs fought hard to find ways to lose leads/games in the last 5 minutes. Antropov got so much flack as well as a mediocre stint with NYR but has been great for Atlanta.

Old
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
I have no doubt he will play with Handzus on the PP.

Old
Haik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Pretty much an even swap with Frolov outside of enigmatic potential.
Umm sorry but no. This guy has a career high of 23 goals and his offensive potential is far less than Frolov. In Toronto he's played with decent players (Sundin,Stajan) and in Pits he played with another decent player( Malkin) so I don't expect him to score more than his 20ish goals playing with Kopitar or Handzus.

Overall I guess I like the signing because he's no worse than any of our other wingers but I still wish we had Frolov instead. I'll wait until the terms are released before I judge Lombardi on this.

Old
07-27-2010, 03:17 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

Thanks to the Leafs fans for input; sounds like a potential good fit for a TM system after all.

Guess Parse and Poni will be battling for 2nd/3rd line LW?

Old
07-27-2010, 03:17 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Waiting for terms.

Old
07-27-2010, 03:19 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
Thanks to the Leafs fans for input; sounds like a potential good fit for a TM system after all.

Guess Parse and Poni will be battling for 2nd/3rd line LW?
Personally, i'd like to see Richardson on the 3rd line rather than Parse.

Old
07-27-2010, 03:22 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by scramble91 View Post
So you think he will be on the 3rd line? From what i know of him, he really isnt a great shutdown guy which scares me. (helene is bashing him lol)

I dont think he will fit with Stoll on the 2nd line because there are no real playmakers on that line.

Be interesting to see where they put him.
I don't think there is a noticable difference between how Murray uses the so-called 2nd and 3rd lines. Every new winger seems to break into the system playing with Handzus, so we shall see.

Poni doesn't go to the net as hard as Simmonds will, but he does have a pretty good shot and isn't as reluctant as Frolov.

You know TM is going to use every line combination possible before the season is over anyway. A guy like Richardson could very well have a good camp and great start to the season and see a bunch of time on the 1st or 2nd/3rd line.

Thanks to all the Leafs fans for coming over and giving us their two cents.

Old
07-27-2010, 03:23 PM
ShattStar03

I just threw up in my mouth.

Old
07-27-2010, 03:23 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Haven't seen it posted, from Eklund's twitter:

make no mistake about it, the Poni signing this is is NOT the Kings "big" splash.

Old
07-27-2010, 03:24 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Depending on the terms, I love this deal.

He's hit at least 50 points each of the last two seasons and four of the last five years he's reached 20 goals. the one year he didn't, he had 18 in 66 games, so he would have done so if he hadn't missed 16 games.

Good size, and as one poster noted, basically the same numbers as Frolov. It will be interesting to see what he can do away from Toronto though, which is why i hope it's no more than a 2 year deal. DL doesn't have the greatest UFA record, so hopefully it's a low cap hit of 2.5 M or less for one or two seasons.

Old
07-27-2010, 03:25 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShattStar03 View Post
I just threw up in my mouth.
Dramatic much?

Old
07-27-2010, 03:26 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Wow, Helene is pretty classless. She's a reporter, yet is bashing a guy we just signed. Pretty tasteless if you ask me. Makes me not want to read anything she writes. She's spent too much time around Kings fans obviously. Pulling the trigger before the gun is even loaded.

Old
johnjm22

I can't say I like or dislike this signing until I hear the terms of the contract.

If, as I suspect, he plays with Handzus on the 3rd line, I wonder who will be our 2nd line LW.

Smyth-Kopitar-Williams
Richie-Stoll-Brown
Poni-Handzus-Simmonds

I like the work ethic of that 2nd line, but nobody on it has much play making ability.

It's looking more and more like Handzus should play 2nd line center.

Old
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
Wow, Helene is pretty classless. She's a reporter, yet is bashing a guy we just signed. Pretty tasteless if you ask me. Makes me not want to read anything she writes. She's spent too much time around Kings fans obviously. Pulling the trigger before the gun is even loaded.
She was talking about Frolov...nonetheless...still classless.

Old
ShattStar03

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
Haven't seen it posted, from Eklund's twitter:

make no mistake about it, the Poni signing this is is NOT the Kings "big" splash.
Finally, hope!

Oh wait, it's Eklund..

Time to start reading Camus and Sartre again..

Closed Thread