HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Sather's off-season - impressive

Closed Thread

Old
07-27-2010, 01:10 PM
Crease

vCash: 500
If he re-signs Staal to a reasonable long-term deal and demotes Redden after training camp, then this will be the best off-season the Rangers have put together in a LONG time.

Old
07-27-2010, 01:36 PM
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
Hahaha wow, jealous that our team is getting better as the years pass and you're still stuck somewhere from 10th - 15th in the conference?
I have no use for an islander fan trolling this board but how exactly have the Rangers gotten better as the years pass?

We went from a playoff team to one that missed the playoffs on the last game of the season to one that might be comfortably out of the playoff hunt by the end of the season.

Old
07-27-2010, 01:38 PM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
I have no use for an islander fan trolling this board but how exactly have the Rangers gotten better as the years pass?

We went from a playoff team to one that missed the playoffs to one that might not make the playoffs.
Our goals-for-against ratio improved from 08-09, the team was better in every way except 3rd pair defense.

We just got unlucky to miss the playoffs, and didnt deserve to be there in 08-09, just Torts dragged them there kicking and screaming all the way.
Unless Lundqvist is severely affected by his pad modifications, this team should in all rights be better than last years.

Old
07-27-2010, 01:45 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Our goals-for-against ratio improved from 08-09, the team was better in every way except 3rd pair defense.

We just got unlucky to miss the playoffs, and didnt deserve to be there in 08-09, just Torts dragged them there kicking and screaming all the way.
Unless Lundqvist is severely affected by his pad modifications, this team should in all rights be better than last years.
In what way? I see an upgrade from Jokinen to Frolov, improvement by younger players countered by dropoffs in veterans, and a Conference that improved just about everywhere. They're better than they were yesterday at this time, but, instead of being among the bottom three teams in the conference, they're in the same group as Atlanta and Carolina. They're likely better than Florida, the Islanders and Toronto.

Old
07-27-2010, 01:45 PM
mti79

Like I said elsewhere, if on June 30th, this board was told that we'd get a solid backup goalie, a legit goon and a scoring LW to either flank Gaborik or play on the 2nd line to try to even out the scoring, all for the cost of $5.4 Million, I'm pretty sure everyone here would've been ready to sign up for that....

Old
07-27-2010, 01:49 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Bullocks !

Same old same old, but I forget that around here we win our battles on paper and not on the ice. Kotalik and Higgins will supply secondary offense !

Old
07-27-2010, 01:52 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Not terrible, i have to admit - but the Boogaard signing is disgusting - and it will get worse and worse the longer into it. For me that kills any impressiveness about the summer.

Old
07-27-2010, 01:55 PM
mrjimmyg89
16 wins to go

I don't understand what Christensen has to do for people to realize where we got him from and the numbers he put up. He put up 24 points in 49 games from a guy who was a waiver wire pick-up. He has skill, and plays a 2 way style of game. (Note: He was a +14 in the 49 games he played)

He isn't a first line center, and with the way this team is situated by the cap, they weren't going to be getting one this offseason, unless it was by trade. In all honesty, he works well with Gaborik, and he is very cap friendly over the next 2 seasons. Now, if he is a bust this season we have young guys waiting in line to get a crack in the line-up (Stepan, Grachev) and another that is looking to take the next step in his NHL career. (Anisimov)

If he puts up the same numbers over an 82 game season, he will end up with 40 points, hardly top line quality. But, he's a skilled player who got things going later in the season, maybe there is carryover and we struck lightning in a bottle. Still, we have young, capable replacements for him if he isn't going to be AT LEAST what he was last year.

Old
07-27-2010, 01:56 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

we have replaced 1 enigmatic player (Jokinen) for another (Frolov)

other than that, weve brought back basically the same exact team as we had last year sans MCD-->Redden and Boogaard--->Shelley....the same team that didnt make the playoffs, in a conference that is unquestionably better all around.

Id give this offseason a D

Old
07-27-2010, 01:57 PM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

The McIlraith pick will be how I judge (tick-tock... waiting... waiting... waiting...)

Old
07-27-2010, 02:00 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post

other than that, weve brought back basically the same exact team as we had last year sans MCD-->Redden and Boogaard--->Shelley....the same team that didnt make the playoffs, in a conference that is unquestionably better all around.

SUCCESS!!!!!!!

Old
07-27-2010, 02:00 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:

Except that the team didnt have Shelley or Jokinen for most of the season.

Old
07-27-2010, 02:01 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Not terrible, i have to admit - but the Boogaard signing is disgusting - and it will get worse and worse the longer into it. For me that kills any impressiveness about the summer.
Totally agree. The Boogaard signing looks bad now, and chances are in two years it'll look even worse...and we'll be talking about burying his contract too. Do not like the McIlraith pick either, though I will be happy to be proven wrong.

Great, we signed a backup goalie, and two of our prospects are leaving college...most likely for the AHL at first. Sorry, that doesn't seem 'impressive' to me.

And now we sign another 'enigmatic' malcontent deck chair who we're hoping will benefit from a change of scenery. Wonderful. And we wonder why the Rangers never improve.

What happened to the amazing trades Sather was going to make this summer to make up for his past mistakes?

Sather. Rinse. Repeat.

Old
07-27-2010, 02:05 PM
Edge

Quote:

In fairness, I think Frolov has a better chance to actually deliver something for us.

I think this offseason comes down to the context in which it is viewed.

I don't think the Rangers went into this offseason looking to turn themself into a top contender. I think they went in looking to find some parts that can buy them some time to let their kids emerge, but not necessarily handcuff them for the future. To that end, they've mostly succeeded.

If you're looking at it in the context of dramatically improving the team, I think you're going to be disappointed. But I don't think that was a fair expectation for right now anyway.

Old
07-27-2010, 02:06 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

You all should know better than to feed the trolls.

Old
07-27-2010, 02:10 PM
GaborikEqualsGod1995*

Quote:

That's a success. Changing the team EVERY offseason is why this team never accomplishes anything. Chemistry is important, too. No big contracts, no HUGE roster turnovers. That's a good thing.

Offseason grade: A

Old
07-27-2010, 02:11 PM
DrZoidberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post

We went from a playoff team to one that missed the playoffs on the last game of the season to one that might be comfortably out of the playoff hunt by the end of the season.
Youth movement. Fantastic rookies in Anisimov and MDZ. The signing of MZA, who has really high potential. Signings of Gaborik and Frolov. The potential for this team is there, Sather just can't make any really bad mistakes. We have a great core. A lot of fans don't see it because we're all set up for disappointment but the Rangers are going to be a very good team within the coming years. Personally, I think our coach is outstanding, as long as we give him time to grow and make an impression. The players have to adapt to him, and work with him. He wants nothing less than everything his players have to offer. He wants to win. What's happened in the past doesn't matter at this point, I continue to look forward and the future is looking bright.

Old
07-27-2010, 02:12 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

I love how all the Kovalchuk cry babies are giving this offseason a bad grade. They don't realize that solid depth goes a long way. Longer than just having 1 or 2 superstars sprinkled with borderline 3/4th liners.

Let's get two things straight here before we start to twist peoples minds the wrong way. Zherdev and Frolov DO NOT COMPARE. Jokinen and Frolov DO NOT COMPARE. Zherdev is more of a finesse player than Frolov; who's far more 2 way than Zherdev and has a game that is played around the net b/c of his size. Jokinen is an individual whose best days are behind him. You can tell by his skating and shooting capabilities that he has lost a step or two. That cannot be said about Frolov. Frolov has the potential to rack up the 60+ he did in his career before.

Enough of these abymsal statements and comaprisons just so you make yourself feel better.

Old
07-27-2010, 02:14 PM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
In what way? I see an upgrade from Jokinen to Frolov, improvement by younger players countered by dropoffs in veterans, and a Conference that improved just about everywhere. They're better than they were yesterday at this time, but, instead of being among the bottom three teams in the conference, they're in the same group as Atlanta and Carolina. They're likely better than Florida, the Islanders and Toronto.
Jokinen was not on the team the whole year. Frolov far surpasses anything Kotalik or Higgins brought.

The Improvement we will see from Anisimov and MDZ will far surpass any dropoffs that might occur (We have one of the younger teams in the league, Prospal is the only age concern)

Barring a Gaborik injury or poor Lundqvist play, this is a playoff team.

side note- the people whining about this signing hurting our 2011 draft pick need to cease and desist.

Old
07-27-2010, 02:17 PM
KreiMeARiver
Fast has potential!

this thread makes me want to throw up on myself.

**EDIT**- just saw we signed Frolov for 3mm per. This is a great signing. Nice job Glen even though you still are the worst GM in history.

Old
07-27-2010, 02:25 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:

Yet Kovalchuk would make the grade an "A" right? lol.

Old
07-27-2010, 02:26 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Jokinen was not on the team the whole year. Frolov far surpasses anything Kotalik or Higgins brought.

The Improvement we will see from Anisimov and MDZ will far surpass any dropoffs that might occur (We have one of the younger teams in the league, Prospal is the only age concern)

Barring a Gaborik injury or poor Lundqvist play, this is a playoff team.

side note- the people whining about this signing hurting our 2011 draft pick need to cease and desist.
Great...Atlanta feels the same way about Bergfors, Kane, Bogosian and Little, TB has Stamkos and Hedman, Carolina is very high on Sutter and Boychuk, Montreal expects big things from Subban. Every team in the league has good, young players they're expecting big things from...it's not the sole possession of the Rangers.

As for Gaborik and Lundqvist, the Rangers got a career year from Gaborik, and they didn't make the playoffs.

And the drop-offs are the continued deterioration of Drury's game offensively and the disappearance of Avery. Plus, you're likely to add another inexperienced D-man.

I've got no issues with the signing, but, all I see that this did for the Rangers is move them out of the worst three teams in the conference.

Old
07-27-2010, 02:27 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Yet Kovalchuk would make the grade an "A" right? lol.
depending on the terms, yes.

it would give us the 3 rocks to build around, and it would clear up roster space for kids since we have no choice but to play kids.

Old
07-27-2010, 02:28 PM
ThisYearsModel

Before we all praise Sather too much............

He overpaid for Boogaard, he had to stay out of the Kovalchuk deal because of the egregious mistakes he has made in the past. The cap kept him from doing more and having to depend on younger players.

If only he did not have to spend so much time fixing his errors..................now the test is what becomes of Redden and the donut hole known as the Rangers center position.

His overall results since coming to MSG are still dreadful. We are all hopeful, but let's see what happens.

Old
07-27-2010, 02:28 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Great...Atlanta feels the same way about Bergfors, Kane, Bogosian and Little, TB has Stamkos and Hedman, Carolina is very high on Sutter and Boychuk, Montreal expects big things from Subban. Every team in the league has good, young players they're expecting big things from...it's not the sole possession of the Rangers.

As for Gaborik and Lundqvist, the Rangers got a career year from Gaborik, and they didn't make the playoffs.

And the drop-offs are the continued deterioration of Drury's game offensively and the disappearance of Avery. Plus, you're likely to add another inexperienced D-man.

I've got no issues with the signing, but, all I see that this did for the Rangers is move them out of the worst three teams in the conference.
agreed....we basically moved ourselves out of a lottery selection.

whoopee.

Closed Thread