HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Agree to Terms with Frolov (1Y @ $3MM)

Closed Thread

Old
07-27-2010, 01:43 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
I know what you're saying here hp, but the way I look at it, Christensen is either a top 6 player or a scratch/AHL guy. He doesn't have value in a checking role, and given his two year contract and chemistry with Gaborik, he's a safe bet to be in the nightly top 6. Like it or not (and honestly, I'm one of the guys who kind of likes it), he's part of our top 6.
I personally feel tht Christensen is better fit on a 3rd line b/c of his inconsistant play offensively.

Old
07-27-2010, 01:44 PM
kingscourt26

Kings fan of 20 years here and I wish you all the best of luck. By not picking up any UFAs and now letting Frolov walk, I couldn't be more disappointed in our management.

Frolov is a solid player when utilized (which he wasn't last year) and I think he will do great things for your club.

Old
07-27-2010, 01:45 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetherangers View Post
Wade Redden official yearbook picture 2010-2011?

good work by Aecliptic on the Blueshirts United site!
I think the real question becomes ....with signing Frolov, can Drury crack the top9 or do the NYR end up with an 8 million dollar 4th liner?

Old
07-27-2010, 01:45 PM
nyr2417

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvage21 View Post
I think it's a great signing.. A little disappointed that the term isn't a bit longer, but I guess he's playing for a contract-if he puts forth his best effort, it could only benefit the Rangers. Like it's been stated in the other thread, Frolov will quietly put up good numbers in Gaborik's shadow against team's second pairing defense. I also think this was an important signing for Sather to 'prove' to Gaborik and Lundqvist that they're not wasting their prime. That's not to say that I personally think that by adding Frolov, the Rangers will be cup contenders.. But by adding a proven player and an extra 20 goals to the roster, it at least looks like management is trying to put a good team on the ice. Also, I wouldn't discount the effect a proven Russian NHLer has on young guys like Anisimov and to a lesser extent, Grachev.

I think this roster is rounding out pretty nicely.. at least it'll be exciting hockey to watch.

Prospal-Christensen-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Frolov
Prust-Drury-Callahan
Avery-Boyle-Boogard

Staal-Girardi
MDZ-Roszival
McDonagh-Eminger
I'd like to see dubi christensen gaborik because that line seemed to work last year and keeping that line together for 2 more years will allow them to develop some chemistry. 2nd line of prospal anisimov/drury and frolov will be a good secondary scoring line. 3rd line I'd switch avery with prust and thatd be a great checking line that could also chip in on the scoring sheet.

Old
07-27-2010, 01:46 PM
SLang

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravey9 View Post
Frolov seems to score most of his goals from in front of the net or on breakaways.
Semi-disagree. Most of his goals are going to come from an angle near the circle. He IS a sniper. You won't find him banging away right in front of the net too often, but many of his plays that result in goals WILL go off a player in front of the net, and he will crash the net from the side looking to sneak the puck in. You'll see sick passes from the boards that result in goals. His breakaway skills are just OK. He loves the wraparound as well.

Old
07-27-2010, 01:46 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

This is a great deal. It is just for one year so if he doesnt pan out then we let him go and at least he was a stopgap to give younger guys another year to develop. If he does pan out, maybe we can lock him up after the season. Maybe he'll even love playing here in NY like many players tend to do. And either way he signed for very, very reasonable terms. IMO he is simply a better hockey player than zherdev and last year around this time zherdev was asking for around $4 million. We get frolov for $3 million. Yeah frolov isnt a kovalchuk but he is definitely a talented player and he provides secondary scoring that we so desperately need. He makes the top 6 look much better, solidifying it more.

At least now this team looks like it has more of a chance to compete this year. I'm not at all saying were cup contenders because we are not. But with henrik as your goaltender, every year you are going to have a chance to make the playoffs because he can carry a team. Add to that a shutdown defenseman in Staal and a star forward like gaborik and you will always have a shot at a playoff spot. Now you add frolov and you have an even better shot. Plus who knows what we will get from the new kids and a 2nd year of del zotto.

Old
07-27-2010, 01:51 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Frolov and Anisimov would be a great fit for eachother, in theory.

Both play puck possession, big.

I love Frolov's board play.

Zuccarello-Aasen could probably benefit from the two of them opening space for him, too.

Old
07-27-2010, 01:55 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Frolov and Anisimov would be a great fit for eachother, in theory.

Both play puck possession, big.

I love Frolov's board play.

Zuccarello-Aasen could probably benefit from the two of them opening space for him, too.
MZA makes sense, while he isnt big the board play could certainly benefit him with some space. If not there are other RWs we can give a look with that pairing.

Old
07-27-2010, 01:55 PM
mti79

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers32185 View Post
So who's starting the carpool for Redden to Hartford?
Don't waste the money on gas/tolls.... Just throw him on a train, I'll pick him up here and show him around.

Old
07-27-2010, 02:02 PM
Cruel11
Son, just don't.

Good luck Fro. You will be missed.

Old
07-27-2010, 02:12 PM
rc258667

This is a great signing but does anyone this this may mean MZA starts the year in the AHL. I mean the top 6 looks set and MZA cant play in the bottom 6 at his size.

Old
07-27-2010, 02:16 PM
jniklast

I like this signing. It's just one year, and it pretty much ensures that Redden will continue his career in Hartford, CT.

Old
07-27-2010, 02:18 PM
Dadude2399*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym8W5...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxCiYpWco-U

Old
07-27-2010, 02:18 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc258667 View Post
This is a great signing but does anyone this this may mean MZA starts the year in the AHL. I mean the top 6 looks set and MZA cant play in the bottom 6 at his size.
No, I think most likely Callahan plays on a third line with Drury. Which isn't a bad thing.

But I suspect there be some shuffling to see who works best with who.

Old
07-27-2010, 02:19 PM
XLJ

I think its a real good signing. Frolov passed up a lot of money in the khl. He is going to come into camp really motivated looking for a big nhl contract next year. The guy has scored 71 points in a season. He will really improve the secondary scoring.

I am hoping Drury is the 4th line center and Prospal plays on the third line center. That would be the best possible team the rangers can put together. And it still opens up some spots for younger players. Boogaard will not play every game you only really need him to play in games against the flyers, mapleleafs, senators etc. You can rotate him with Weise.

Dubinsky-Christensen-Gaborik
Frolov-Anisimov-MZA
Avery-Prospal-Callahan
Prust-Drury-Weise
Boogaard

Old
07-27-2010, 02:24 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i guess im someone who doesnt particularly care for this. i think he turns us from a 12-13 seed to a 9-10 seed.

only effects our draft positioning and takes away possible roster spot from a kid...also makes it less likely we will be sellers at the deadline...

Old
07-27-2010, 02:26 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
i guess im someone who doesnt particularly care for this. i think he turns us from a 12-13 seed to a 9-10 seed.

only effects our draft positioning and takes away possible roster spot from a kid...also makes it less likely we will be sellers at the deadline...
you don't think it's valuable for the players on this team to experience important hockey. I sure do.

and if that doesn't happen, I'm sure he'll be a prize at the deadline.

Old
07-27-2010, 02:30 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post

I agree with you man...I am very pessimistic about this season. We are most likely going to suck.

Old
07-27-2010, 02:33 PM
bmw2004

Captain will play on the fourth line? Don't you think his motivation to play will eventually disappear knowing that your team does not require your services any longer?
At list that’s how I see that. Unless you think he doesn’t give a damn what line and what position he will end up playing.

Old
07-27-2010, 02:36 PM
Hanke
Tortsless Rangers

great day to be a ranger fan!!

omg i cant wait for opening day!!!!!!

Old
07-27-2010, 02:37 PM
broadwayblue

Well, you can't go into the season trying to be a crappy team. So I have no objections to this signing. It's short term, cheap, and brings in a guy who can play top 6 minutes.

Old
07-27-2010, 02:37 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
I think its a real good signing. Frolov passed up a lot of money in the khl. He is going to come into camp really motivated looking for a big nhl contract next year. The guy has scored 71 points in a season. He will really improve the secondary scoring.

I am hoping Drury is the 4th line center and Prospal plays on the third line center. That would be the best possible team the rangers can put together. And it still opens up some spots for younger players. Boogaard will not play every game you only really need him to play in games against the flyers, mapleleafs, senators etc. You can rotate him with Weise.

Dubinsky-Christensen-Gaborik
Frolov-Anisimov-MZA
Avery-Prospal-Callahan
Prust-Drury-Weise
Boogaard
1.6 million isn't riding the bench. Weise will be the first call up not making this team

Old
07-27-2010, 02:38 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by poeman View Post
I agree with you man...I am very pessimistic about this season. We are most likely going to suck.
Yes, we probably will. But hey, if we do but Frolov is playing well he's just another asset that can be moved...assuming they don't want to extend him.

Old
07-27-2010, 02:41 PM
NYRSchrute217

Can't argue with this deal. Good value for Frolov.

Old
07-27-2010, 02:41 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
1.6 million isn't riding the bench. Weise will be the first call up not making this team
I'd say it's less likely for $7M to ride the 4th line.

Closed Thread