HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

2010-2011 Florida Panthers

Old
07-22-2010, 11:22 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
2010-2011 Florida Panthers

Mr. Tallon had quite a weekend at the draft and the Florida Panthers are definately looking to head in another direction next season, something that was clear even approaching last season's trade deadline.

I'm wondering what you guys are expecting for the upcoming season? Will there be lots of new faces added to the line-up? Will they be going with primarily younger players? Who's expected to come up from within and be part of this team as soon as this fall?

Do the Panthers have a shot at the playoffs?

I'd be curious to hear how things are looking for a Panthers fan standpoint.

Should there already be a thread of this nature, I couldn't find it on first glance. Feel free to refer me to it.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 11:28 AM
TimHortons
Gud Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Mr. Tallon had quite a weekend at the draft and the Florida Panthers are definately looking to head in another direction next season, something that was clear even approaching last season's trade deadline.

I'm wondering what you guys are expecting for the upcoming season? Will there be lots of new faces added to the line-up? Will they be going with primarily younger players? Who's expected to come up from within and be part of this team as soon as this fall?

Should there already be a thread of this nature, I couldn't find it on first glance. Feel free to refer me to it.
Chapin, I would say check through the Tallon's to-do list thread and opening night roster one. They should run the gamut wrt your inquiries.

TimHortons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 11:29 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:

No. I think it's pretty clear that we are in full on tank mode. I, as well as many others, expect us to make a major run at that first overall pick and trade off many players at the deadline. I wouldn't expect many additional moves to be made as we don't have a lot of roster space left.

I think we will try to acquire as many picks as possible and have another draft like last year.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 12:00 PM
Acadmus

Speaking to the lineup...it'll be hard to forecast. I believe there are gaps in the lineup currently so there will be some new faces one way or another. Whether that includes any of the team's current prospects? Tough to say. The team isn't holding a prospect camp this summer, so the rookie camp will be our first look at the new draft picks as well as our first look at other prospects' physical and skill development over the summer off-months.

07-22-2010, 01:53 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
I love what Tallon did at the draft. He was very aggressive, got the team as many picks as he could, and got some good value for two of our former players. Of course all GMs, Tallon included, have flaws, but it seems that the Panthers finally have a guy that knows what he is doing, and has his mind set on what he wants to do. While I think it will take another offseason to really see that plan, I think the Panthers might finally be ready to make a name for itself in the NHL.

Quote:
Well the new faces so far are Wideman, Grabner, Bernier, and Higgins. I think Wideman and Ballard are a wash, even though I think Wideman is the better offensive Dman of the two. If he can get back to the season he had two years ago, then that would be a big plus for us.

I think Grabner, Bernier, and Higgins should easily surpass the output of Horton. Grabner is the one we are most excited about, because he is still young, and has a lot of potential. Bernier and Higgins are big question marks, but even them combined could equal Horton's numbers from a year ago. The team has a little more depth now, but its still light at both the forward and D spot.

Some names that should/could make the team are Gudbranson, Repik, and McCardle. The Panthers have Frolik, Weiss, Booth, Grabner, Bernier, Higgins, Dvorak, Olesz, Stillman, Bitz, Matthias, and Taffe on one way deals, so if one of those previously mentioned forwards want to make the squad, a move might have to be made. Gudbranson has a very good shot at making the team, but I think it might be better off to send him back to juniors.

Quote:
I dont know. I like that we have more depth, enough where we can actually call up someone, or switch players in and out. I just dont see us having the punch that can get us in. We are once again going to rely on Vokoun to steal games for us. While I think that the overall talent of the team has improved over last season, too many teams have improved in the East this offseason, and I dont think we get in. Besides, Ive been very vocal about how much I would like to see a Couturier, Larsson, or Hopkins here.

Quote:
I think the fans should understand that while we are in the terrible playoff drought, there is better times ahead. Im very excited about this teams future, and about what the new ownership and Tallon have done. I think we finally have the right personnel in the right position, and they are finally starting to look like a professional organization.

And one other thing, the LeBron James signing with the Heat is going to be a positive for us Panther fans. The Panthers know that they cant keep putting out this mediocre product, because the other teams in South Florida will take away money from them. They need to get this ship on the right course. In a couple of years, South Florida could be one of the most successful team towns in the country, because a lot of the teams down here seem to be on the rise.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 07:07 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Thanks for all the responses everyone!

Florida will be interesting to watch this season. I suspect many pundits will pick them to be in the race for the first pick next june, but some things seem to indicate that if all goes right, they might have a season not entirely unlike the one Colorado had last year.

I'll check through the "Tallon to-do" thread for more info.

Thanks again!

Old
07-25-2010, 10:59 AM
Slick Cat

Quote:
Thanks for all the responses everyone!

Florida will be interesting to watch this season. I suspect many pundits will pick them to be in the race for the first pick next june, but some things seem to indicate that if all goes right, they might have a season not entirely unlike the one Colorado had last year.

I'll check through the "Tallon to-do" thread for more info.

Thanks again!
No chance at the playoffs at all. Our team will get beaten and beaten up on a regular basis. No scoring and no toughness. Maybe they'll show some heart here and there but heart doesn't score goals consistently or take on true tough guys on other teams when your team is being manhandled. The Lebron thing only makes it worse, because now we are less relevant in south florida, if that is even possible. Tallon might have had a nice draft but we won't find out until another four playoff-less seasons go by (we've wathced this show before and know how it ends). This organization is an absolute disaster. The moves we made are laughable at best. As much as I love having hockey in south florida and have had tickets since year one, our ownership groups since Wayne and their management have all been terrible and make me question whether we even deserve a team here. Except for some true diehards like me that just like to go to the games no matter what (and I question myself every year for investing in this joke) we will never be able to draw down here. There are many fans who over the years have looked at things with rose colored glasses, tauting Dudley and then martin and preaching just wait and see, it sounds like the same song again to me as I am not fooled by the "plan" which is really give me four years of no accountabilty.

Slick Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 08:09 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Cat View Post
No chance at the playoffs at all. Our team will get beaten and beaten up on a regular basis. No scoring and no toughness. Maybe they'll show some heart here and there but heart doesn't score goals consistently or take on true tough guys on other teams when your team is being manhandled. The Lebron thing only makes it worse, because now we are less relevant in south florida, if that is even possible. Tallon might have had a nice draft but we won't find out until another four playoff-less seasons go by (we've wathced this show before and know how it ends). This organization is an absolute disaster. The moves we made are laughable at best. As much as I love having hockey in south florida and have had tickets since year one, our ownership groups since Wayne and their management have all been terrible and make me question whether we even deserve a team here. Except for some true diehards like me that just like to go to the games no matter what (and I question myself every year for investing in this joke) we will never be able to draw down here. There are many fans who over the years have looked at things with rose colored glasses, tauting Dudley and then martin and preaching just wait and see, it sounds like the same song again to me as I am not fooled by the "plan" which is really give me four years of no accountabilty.
Interesting.

Just yesterday I wrote the following in a Toronto thread discussing who's further between Toronto and Florida.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...1#post27084991

Old
07-26-2010, 08:56 AM
panthersfan751

Quote:
Interesting.

Just yesterday I wrote the following in a Toronto thread discussing who's further between Toronto and Florida.

IMO our young core is being underrated a lot in that thread.

For next year, Toronto will probably be better since they have no choice but to try and win now (no 2011 1st round pick). Florida can afford to sell off players at the deadline and get another high draft pick if that is the scenario.

panthersfan751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 03:07 PM
FinlandPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersfan751 View Post

For next year, Toronto will probably be better since they have no choice but to try and win now (no 2011 1st round pick). Florida can afford to sell off players at the deadline and get another high draft pick if that is the scenario.
extremely underrated they said their prospect are on par with ours lol

FinlandPanther is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 03:50 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Quote:

Of course it is, its in the Leafs forum. Its totally biased there, and the thread should have been in the NHL forum. Leaf fans are so biased, and its ridiculous to read some of those responses.

Old
07-26-2010, 08:19 PM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Of course it is, its in the Leafs forum. Its totally biased there, and the thread should have been in the NHL forum. Leaf fans are so biased, and its ridiculous to read some of those responses.
And Panther fans aren't biased? Please. Every team has its share of homer fans. There are several on this board as well, but I won't go into naming names. The crux of the matter is that there are more Leaf fans in aggregate, so it seems that more leaf fans are more homer. That's not necessarily the case, of course.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 10:18 PM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
And Panther fans aren't biased? Please. Every team has its share of homer fans. There are several on this board as well, but I won't go into naming names. The crux of the matter is that there are more Leaf fans in aggregate, so it seems that more leaf fans are more homer. That's not necessarily the case, of course.
The Panthers will be Cup-bound. Not that I'm basing this on any form of logic or common sense. Just a gut instinct and a tenacious will to survive.

ratmanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 06:58 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Quote:
That absolutely is the case. Thats evident by the ridiculous claims they make, or the ridiculous proposals they put out, and how they overvalue their own. Of course most fans of every team are biased, but most Leaf/Hab fan seams to really think that their players and prospects are gods gift to hockey. I stand behind what I said, how I think its wrong that that thread was posted in the Leafs forum. The majority of the people that are less biased are non-fans of both teams, who went to that thread and posted some common sense.

Old
07-27-2010, 08:48 AM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
That absolutely is the case. Thats evident by the ridiculous claims they make, or the ridiculous proposals they put out, and how they overvalue their own. Of course most fans of every team are biased, but most Leaf/Hab fan seams to really think that their players and prospects are gods gift to hockey. I stand behind what I said, how I think its wrong that that thread was posted in the Leafs forum. The majority of the people that are less biased are non-fans of both teams, who went to that thread and posted some common sense.
Do they have their share of homers? Absolutely. But like I said, it just seems that there are more since there are more Leaf fans on the internet than Panther fans. You're deliberately ignoring some of the more level-headed responses from the Leaf fans to get a rise out of yourself.

And by the way, I must admit that I have to agree with some of them. We don't yet have a stud offensive powerhouse forward. What we do have is great goaltending both now and in the future, great defensemen in the system, and then a plethora of 2nd and 3rd line forwards. Can you honestly say that we have a legit scoring stud either on our roster now or in the future?

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 09:02 AM
Gudbranson44

Quote:
well there is one difference between catfans who overvalue their prospects and leaf fans who overvalue: we all know it can go straight down the toiletfor us as it has for the last 10 years, so we always end our optimistic posts with this little man

Gudbranson44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 09:05 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Quote:
Do they have their share of homers? Absolutely. But like I said, it just seems that there are more since there are more Leaf fans on the internet than Panther fans. You're deliberately ignoring some of the more level-headed responses from the Leaf fans to get a rise out of yourself.

And by the way, I must admit that I have to agree with some of them. We don't yet have a stud offensive powerhouse forward. What we do have is great goaltending both now and in the future, great defensemen in the system, and then a plethora of 2nd and 3rd line forwards. Can you honestly say that we have a legit scoring stud either on our roster now or in the future?
I never said that we had a stud forward prospect. In fact, Ive said multiple times that we need to be able to get one of Couturier or Hopkins in this coming draft, because then we will have one of the best all around prospect pools in the league.

Im not ignoring anything. I read through all nine of those pages, and while I laugh at what the majority of the Leaf fans say, there were only a few Leaf fans who looked at it from an outsiders view. That was my point as to why I thought the thread was in the wrong forum. Im not taking away anything from what the Leafs have currently or in there system, but I dont think they are far and away the better team of the two, present and future, as most Leaf fans make them out to be.

Old
07-27-2010, 09:40 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:

I agree that if the core of the topic is "Who of TOR or FLA has the better prospect pool", then Florida certainly does now, as of this last draft.

Toronto has a few interesting prospects, no doubt, but the Panthers' cabinet is looking mighty full at the moment. They'll need a few of them to take the next step next season.

Can each of i.e. Grabner, Repik, Ellerby, Robak, Gudbranson and maybe Garrison take the next step already this fall?

Old
07-27-2010, 11:55 AM
Biggzy*

Quote:
Interesting.

Yeah you just gotta ignore Leafs fans. Before they were annoying, but then I just felt sorry for them.

Like one of their fans mentioned in that thread. They are just putting on band-aids and we are doing a proper rebuild.

Yeah they'll probably be better than us this season. But who cares? I have no expectations this season. And I highly doubt they'll be able to compete for a playoff spot.

Biggzy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 02:05 PM
Tranq

I want this team to make the playoffs next season. that said i dont think they have the talent to do so.

Tranq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 02:56 PM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
wowsa..

Frolov, Zherdev, Ponikarovsky (i believe) all signed 1 year deals and not for big money either. Maybe we could snatch a player or two cheap with a 1 year deal

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote