HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal was #1 priority for Éric Bélanger

Closed Thread

Old
07-27-2010, 04:02 PM
Fozz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
And what if it doesn't work? What if Eller isn't that much NHL ready yet, after all? What's your Plan B? Trading a draft pick to get a center at mid season, or just accepting that our team only have 2 scoring lines again?
Well, if you're going to "what if" everything, then there's no end to your open-ended arguments. There are always "what ifs" for every single player and nothing is a sure thing. However, I'll trust the judgment of Gauthier and company in evaluating players before giving in to worst case scenarists and doomsday nay-sayers, which you obviously are.

Old
07-27-2010, 04:04 PM
Santino

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
beat you to it
lol.. we dont need a plan B with Belanger.. He is quebcois, he is a home boy... he WILL do good here. As for Eller, he's a gamble.. no way Belanger could have been a gamble.. ben non.

Old
07-27-2010, 04:06 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

right now our center dept is not bad at all

Plekanec
Gomez
Eller
Boyd(maybe he will be centering the 3rd line)
Lapierre
Pyatt
Desharnais
Maxwell
White

Boyd and Eller can step up in the top 6 if we have injury and Lapierre can center the 3rd line if we need him, not great but not bad either and all of those guys can play in the NHL

Old
07-27-2010, 04:07 PM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by saints96 View Post
and what if it doesnt work with belanger? Whats your plan B with him? If.. if is a big word...How about saying what if he (eller) will work out! Try being positive for a change.
Bélanger has seven consecutive 35 points seasons under his belt. Try to use some good faith, please. If you don't see a difference between this and an unproven rookie, then I'm done arguing with you.

Old
07-27-2010, 04:07 PM
Santino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
right now our center dept is not bad at all

Plekanec
Gomez
Eller
Boyd(maybe he will be centering the 3rd line)
Lapierre
Pyatt
White

Boyd and Eller can step up in the top 6 if we have injury and Lapierre can center the 3rd line line if we need him, not great but not bad either
but what if eller, boyd, lapierre(no wait, there is no what ifs for him) pyatt and white dont perform.. what ever will we do??

Old
07-27-2010, 04:10 PM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:
lol.. we dont need a plan B with Belanger.. He is quebcois, he is a home boy... he WILL do good here. As for Eller, he's a gamble.. no way Belanger could have been a gamble.. ben non.
And where are the mods when we need them. I'm ****ing tired of being accused of wanting a player only because he's from Quebec.

Seriously, shut up if that's all you have to say and if you can't talk about a player without mentioning his nationality all the time.

Old
07-27-2010, 04:10 PM
Santino

Quote:
Bélanger has seven consecutive 35 points seasons under his belt. Try to use some good faith, please. If you don't see a difference between this and an unproven rookie, then I'm done arguing with you.
let me use your logic.. what if belanger doesnt put more than 23 points from now on. whats your plan B? you see what i did there?

Old
07-27-2010, 04:12 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Quote:
but what if eller, boyd, lapierre(no wait, there is no what ifs for him) pyatt and white dont perform.. what ever will we do??
don't worry I add Desharnais in my edit post

but don't get me wrong I will have love to get Belanger in the Habs but we are a better team with Boyd and Eller IMO and they cost less

Old
07-27-2010, 04:13 PM
mtl_felix

What if Pleky fails to produce a high number of points?
What if Pleky gets injured?
What if Gomez gets injured?
What if Markov gets injured again?
What if..
What if..
What if..

C'mon, the organisation is going with Eller as 3rd line center and that's just fine; at some point you gotta have confidence in your young players and have them step up.

Old
07-27-2010, 04:17 PM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl_felix View Post
What if Pleky fails to produce a high number of points?
What if Pleky gets injured?
What if Gomez gets injured?
What if Markov gets injured again?
What if..
What if..
What if..

C'mon, the organisation is going with Eller as 3rd line center and that's just fine; at some point you gotta have confidence in your young players and have them step up.
There's some "what ifs" that have higher probability than others.

It's highly probable that Eller cannot fill the 3rd line role next year.
It's highly unlikely that Bélanger cannot get an 8th 35 points season in a row.

Proven > unproven

No need to be Einstein to understand that.

Old
07-27-2010, 04:21 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
But we only have 11 forwards + Darche really locked into the lineup. With $1.7M left to spare if Price gets $3M.

Do you think ALL of those players will meet expectations? Do you think we will never have any injuries?

I don't really get it. There is room to add a Belanger/Moore without in any way affecting those other players. They will earn their ice or fail to, and it is only to our benefit if it turns out that Belanger/Moore is better than them and hence ends up playing more for us.

It is indeed really only the likes of Desharnais, Maxwell, White, Pacioretty who are affected. Yet there is still possibly a spot open to them, and there WILL still be injury opportunities, even then. They are all waiver exempt. I don't think we should be giving anybody a chance. It's up to them to seize it. I don't think any of them is better than Belanger/Moore at the present time. And our team should be prioritizing the present. It won't hurt any of those players to start in the minors again, if it comes to that. In fact, I'd lean towards saying it would be better for them anyway, since with or without Belanger/Moore, they'd still just 12th/13th forwards with us, and the added development time in the minors can never hurt.

Although it's all still a little bit silly to argue in too much detail about all this, since it still hinges on the perhaps-never-realized hypothesis that Belanger/Moore become desperate enough to take bargain salaries from us.
You have to look at it from Gauthier's standpoint. He's trying to build a team here, one that will have really good chemistry for years to come. You do that with cheap young talent that learns to play together from a young age. You don't build team chemistry with guys that get shuffled in and out every year. So as much as i think that belanger and moore are better players right now than lapierre, boyd, pyatt, etc., i 'd rather just go with the younger guys because they have a real chance to grow together and become better. And this is the perfect time to take this approach, because they've just had a great playoff run together and should have quite a bit of confidence. In Moore's case, they just decided that Boyd can be as good, or almost as good for probably a million less. In Belanger's case, I just don't see the point. He'd want to be, minimum, the 3rd line center. So where does that leave, Boyd, Lapierre or Eller? What kind of message does it send them? You can't just keep shuffling natural centers off to the wings and expect them to be as comfortable in that position. We should be giving them a chance a real chance to shine at their best position. I know a lot of people will disagree with me on this one but I think all this "healthy competition" for a spot on the team has been counterproductive at times over the past couple of years. You have guys that have good seasons or post seasons, than come into camp and realize that if they're not amazing, they could be right back in the stands or even the AHL. A guy like Lapierre, for instance, shouldn't be worried about his spot on the team. He shouldn't have to focus on making the team each year, especially this year after the playoffs he had. At some point, the coaches and GM should give some young guys the benefit of the doubt and just pencil them in. So you bring in a guy like Belanger for instance, and suddenly doubt starts creeping in. What does it mean? Don't they think I can the job done? So then training camp begins and Lapierre starts trying to too hard, starts playing emotionally--starts making stupid mistakes. It's so psychological with pro athletes, you have to be very careful with them. So all this to say that bringing in too many veteran FA's is to me a mistake, and that it sends the wrong message to certain players. Guys like Lapierre, O'Byrne, and Pyatt have all proven enough to be on the team. Enough of the second guessing and spending 1.5M here, 1.5M there on guys to come in and solidify the team. Like i said earlier, you solidify when it becomes worth your while to solidify. The team is not a cup contender as of July 26th. Stop trying to add a player here and there as if we were one.

Old
07-27-2010, 04:44 PM
Lars The GOAT Eller
PSN: WildGranlund

Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
Quote:
Belanger probably would have been on the 3rd line if there wasnt a cap..

We cant have belanger center the 3rd line so Belanger is out of the question

Old
07-27-2010, 04:59 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

This thread needs a timeout, enough of the language crap.

Closed Thread