HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Sather's off-season - impressive

Closed Thread

Old
07-27-2010, 02:29 PM
GaborikEqualsGod1995*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
this thread makes me want to throw up on myself.

**EDIT**- just saw we signed Frolov for 3mm per. This is a great signing. Nice job Glen even though you still are the worst GM in history.

"Ohaithar"

Old
07-27-2010, 02:31 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Sather continues to be great for this team post lockout. After hearing the frolov signing I was going to make this exact thread. I applaud the OP for being able to give credit where credit is due, unlike many other Sather haters who can't be happy with this offseason because we overpaid the toughest guy in the league by a few hundred thousand. Some people need some happy pills before they hurt themselves.

Old
07-27-2010, 02:33 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
agreed....we basically moved ourselves out of a lottery selection.

whoopee.
Not really...they're still around 7th - Florida, Edmonton, Isles, Wild, Blue Jackets and the Leafs. They're on the same tier as Atlanta, Carolina and Dallas...anywhere from 7-10.

Old
07-27-2010, 02:36 PM
GaborikEqualsGod1995*

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
Sather continues to be great for this team post lockout. After hearing the frolov signing I was going to make this exact thread. I applaud the OP for being able to give credit where credit is due, unlike many other Sather haters who can't be happy with this offseason because we overpaid the toughest guy in the league by a few hundred thousand. Some people need some happy pills before they hurt themselves.

Old
07-27-2010, 02:43 PM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Just by skimming this thread I think that some "fans" really just want this team to fail...

Old
07-27-2010, 02:43 PM
Kel Varnsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyIsDifferentHer View Post

Old
07-27-2010, 02:45 PM
Kel Varnsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrap View Post
Just by skimming this thread I think that some "fans" really just want this team to fail...
some people wouldn't know what to do with themselves if they couldn't ***** about this team

Old
07-27-2010, 02:46 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrap View Post
nobody wants the team to fail....but i sure as hell am not going to get excited with what we have now. we had an opportunity to turn our team around with 1 big gesture, or to play the kids, get a high draft pick, and turn it around slowly...right now were just treading water.

Old
07-27-2010, 02:46 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:

4 out of 8...that would be a 50 and a failing grade.

Old
07-27-2010, 02:47 PM
OverTheCap

This is one of Sather's best offseasons by default because he didn't throw a huge, cap-crippling long-term contract to anyone. And although the Boogard contract is bad, it doesn't even enter the realm of Gomez, Drury, Redden, Rozsival, or even Kotalik.

I'm still concerned about the long-term direction of the team. Sather seems satisfied with fighting for a playoff spot/being a low playoff seed instead of biting the bullet and gunning for a high draft pick. I understand why (god forbid Dolan doesn't have a chance to get some playoff revenue) but I think it may perpetuate the cycle of mediocrity. Other NHL execs such as Lowe are coming to terms with the fact that "you have to go to the back of the bus for awhile and regroup" to become a contender, and I fear that such teams while surpass us in the coming years.

Old
07-27-2010, 02:48 PM
Kel Varnsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
... He put up four bad moves show I showed four good ones. I could go on... do you really need me to?

Old
07-27-2010, 02:53 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
... He put up four bad moves show I showed four good ones. I could go on... do you really need me to?
If you're going to start naming non-bluechip prospects that havent played an NHL game yet, by all means, go ahead. I could use a good laugh this afternoon.

People are *****ing about the people that are *****ing, but honestly, the people that are not too excited about these moves are looking at this team more objectively. Take the fan glasses off, look around the division, and you'll see a pretty grim outlook no matter how much you love the Rangers. This is a flawed team with no direction, and a sociopath head-coach. At the very least, it will be entertaining. Unfortunately, for someone like me, winning is more entertaining than a circus sideshow.

Old
07-27-2010, 02:53 PM
TrojanRanger

Quote:
Not in baseball its not!

I don't understand what Slats is trying to do (do any of us?) but I'd much rather have one year of Frolov than 10+ years of Kovalchuk/Cap Hell

Old
07-27-2010, 02:54 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
So you're saying that for every bad move he makes, he makes a good one...kinda sounds like running in place to me, which probably explains why this team has not gotten out of the 2nd round even in the better years after the lockout.

Old
07-27-2010, 02:55 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Some good moves and some terrible moves does not add up to Sather contiues to be great for this team post lockout.

Sorry.

Old
07-27-2010, 02:56 PM
TrojanRanger

Quote:
So you're saying that for every bad move he makes, he makes a good one...kinda sounds like running in place to me, which probably explains why this team has not gotten out of the 2nd round even in the better years after the lockout.
Not to mention 3 of the 4 players he used as examples either were or became part of the organization before the lockout.

Old
07-27-2010, 02:57 PM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanRanger View Post
Not in baseball its not!

I don't understand what Slats is trying to do (do any of us?) but I'd much rather have one year of Frolov than 10+ years of Kovalchuk/Cap Hell
He's doing the same ill advised thing that he always does. He's attempting to rebuild while still remaining competitive...because that's the recipe for success.

Old
07-27-2010, 02:58 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Not in baseball its not!

Again, I've got no problem with the Frolov signing. But, praising Sather for not doing something disastrous hardly means he's had a successful off-season. And, frankly, signing Frolov makes signing one of Prospal or Christensen look even more stupid from my vantage point. Maybe I'm getting more cynical as I get older, but, I'm not seeing the "success" some other posters are seeing...someone wrote "this is a great day to be a Ranger fan"...really?

Old
07-27-2010, 02:59 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Not to mention 3 of the 4 players he used as examples either were or became part of the organization before the lockout.
LOL good point. If he wants to post pre-lockout successes, there are quite a few pre-lockout failures that can also be posted.

His whole argument just went down llike Frazier.

Old
07-27-2010, 03:04 PM
TrojanRanger

Quote:
Again, I've got no problem with the Frolov signing. But, praising Sather for not doing something disastrous hardly means he's had a successful off-season. And, frankly, signing Frolov makes signing one of Prospal or Christensen look even more stupid from my vantage point. Maybe I'm getting more cynical as I get older, but, I'm not seeing the "success" some other posters are seeing...someone wrote "this is a great day to be a Ranger fan"...really?
No you're right but thats what its come to with Sather!

Offseason Success for Slats= Not ****ing up as much as usual!

I don't quite understand the Christensen deal myself, but at least its only 2 years at under a mill-

Look I did it again!

Old
07-27-2010, 03:08 PM
Kel Varnsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
LOL good point. If he wants to post pre-lockout successes, there are quite a few pre-lockout failures that can also be posted.

His whole argument just went down llike Frazier.
More like I'm just done having the same tired arguments with thick-headed "people".

Old
07-27-2010, 03:12 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
More like I'm just done having the same tired arguments with thick-headed "people".
Tell me about it.

Oh, you forgot to mention why you mentioned pre-lockout moves to support your Sather theory, when your argument is that he has only been good POST lockout.

Old
07-27-2010, 03:20 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Understandable. A position more based on the reality side would be a good start to avoid having to defend a terrible, terrible argument. Glen Sather has done far more to hurt this team than help it over the past 10 years. Most of us thick-heads dont even think thats debatable at this point. But when you come along and start calling Sather "great," it draws a response because is just so damn far out of the realm of reality.

Old
07-27-2010, 03:22 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

The Boogaard contract is awful. Signing Boogaard isn't awful, but the contract is awful.

Other then that, he did a good job this summer.

McIlrath, I'll reserve judgment on until we see how he starts to develop.

Old
07-27-2010, 03:22 PM
Levitate

Most teams don't actually tank intentionally unless they don't really have the resources to be competitive or go through a couple of years of really sucking without trying to.

Most lottery teams aren't lottery teams on purpose.

Closed Thread