HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL

Closed Thread

Old
07-20-2010, 11:10 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

vCash: 500
I disagree Dave. Poile will not do this. The reason the Kovalchuk deal is so absurd is because the final 6 or so years of his contract are essentially Atlanta's message to him saying retire or go to the KHL....It is beyond silly. I am glad Ilya got his money, but this system of adding 6 years at 500-700k to allow the previous 10 years to be at 10-11 million is clearly a tactic to get around the cap. The Predators don't care about the cap....because we will never be able to spend anywhere near the limit. Our long term deals will simply be a long term deal. They may be paid out differently (see how Legwand/Erat's paid out different year to year to complement each other), but essentially the cap hit will be close to what the player makes in annual salary.

07-20-2010, 11:42 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
why ? ... Poile is going to do the same thing with Weber & Suter's next contracts
no he wont because our problem isnt cap space its actual cash outlay.

I would expect Suter and Weber to have only minor fluctuation from year to year because poile cant afford to frontload a deal too much. if anything he'd probably prefer to backload it.

Old
07-20-2010, 09:16 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Kovalchuks contract should force the next CBA to set some type of maximum range between the highest and lowest paid years of a multi year contract.

what a complete farce it is to have 5 years of league minimum that both sides know will never get paid in order to allow an multiple years at 11.5 to fit in under the cap.

I really wish Bettman had the balls to void this contract...
dangit.... if I had known it was my day to get a wish granted I'd have wished for something a little better for me or the preds...

Old
07-20-2010, 09:41 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
why ? ... Poile is going to do the same thing with Weber & Suter's next contracts
No, he won't. He'll likely front-load the deal, much like he has done with Erat and Legwand, but he won't put year after year of league minimum on the back end to try to lower the cap number of each deal as drastically as the Kovalchuk deal has, or rather, had.

Old
07-21-2010, 05:27 PM
Top 6 Spaling

My solutions to fix the CBA: (in order of preference)

1. Do the obvious. The cap hit for the year is the salary for that year. I have no idea why it wasn't like this to begin with. Its easy, simple, and fair.

2. As already suggested, put a max difference in the salary of multi year contracts.

3. Use a sliding scale to limit the length of contracts. Something like this

< 24 years - 10 year max
25-28 - 7 year max
29-32 - 5 years max
33-37 - 4 year max
38+ - 3 year max

Just pulled those numbers out of my head. Obviously could use some refining.

The best option is clearly just making the cap hit and the salary the same, but any/all of these would help.

On a side note, I find it interesting that the NHL allowed similar contracts (i.e. Hossa) to go through, but they drew the line here. The devils fans are of course playing the "everyone hates us" card, which i dont believe is fully true. I do think that Bettman picks favorites, which is part of the reason Hossa to Chicago was allowed to pass, but nothing as blatant as they're saying. I think the NHL saw the snowball effect forming and stopped it before it turned into an avalanche. Its unfortunate that the others were allowed through, but im glad they drew a line somewhere.

Old
07-21-2010, 05:54 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
My solutions to fix the CBA: (in order of preference)

1. Do the obvious. The cap hit for the year is the salary for that year. I have no idea why it wasn't like this to begin with. Its easy, simple, and fair.

2. As already suggested, put a max difference in the salary of multi year contracts.

3. Use a sliding scale to limit the length of contracts. Something like this

< 24 years - 10 year max
25-28 - 7 year max
29-32 - 5 years max
33-37 - 4 year max
38+ - 3 year max

Just pulled those numbers out of my head. Obviously could use some refining.

The best option is clearly just making the cap hit and the salary the same, but any/all of these would help.

On a side note, I find it interesting that the NHL allowed similar contracts (i.e. Hossa) to go through, but they drew the line here. The devils fans are of course playing the "everyone hates us" card, which i dont believe is fully true. I do think that Bettman picks favorites, which is part of the reason Hossa to Chicago was allowed to pass, but nothing as blatant as they're saying. I think the NHL saw the snowball effect forming and stopped it before it turned into an avalanche. Its unfortunate that the others were allowed through, but im glad they drew a line somewhere.
Best idea I've heard yet is something reported by Pierre LeBrun last night on Twitter as having a lot of momentum from the GM's...

Change the cap hit to be the average of the five highest salaried years of a player's contract...

Ergo, Kovalchuk's cap hit would have been $11.5 million under the terms of his deal, but in terms of DiPietro's contract, it wouldn't change since the deal is paid out the same each season...

Old
07-21-2010, 05:57 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Best idea I've heard yet is something reported by Pierre LeBrun last night on Twitter as having a lot of momentum from the GM's...

Change the cap hit to be the average of the five highest salaried years of a player's contract...

Ergo, Kovalchuk's cap hit would have been $11.5 million under the terms of his deal, but in terms of DiPietro's contract, it wouldn't change since the deal is paid out the same each season...
I feel that that is too drastic. If Kovy kept playing until the years where his salary was under a million (50/50) he would be getting 750K with a cap hit of 11.5. Seems over the top to me

Old
07-21-2010, 06:12 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
I feel that that is too drastic. If Kovy kept playing until the years where his salary was under a million (50/50) he would be getting 750K with a cap hit of 11.5. Seems over the top to me
It allows for teams to maintain flexibility by not placing a cap on contract length, but it also eliminates the absurdity that comes with the payout fluctuations of "retirement" deals like Kovalchuk, Hossa, and Pronger...

Old
07-21-2010, 06:50 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
No, he won't. He'll likely front-load the deal, much like he has done with Erat and Legwand,
I don't think so. The Suter and Weber contracts will be on a higher plane then he's dealt with before, especially Weber's. He can't put more money up front and still be able to put a full quality team together while breaking even or better. I think he'll have to just put a solid number in the first year and have essentially an inflation adjustment. If he expects revenue to increase at, say, 3% per year, he could pay 2 million more in year 7 then he did in year one, so a contract may start at 7 million and the final year may be 9 million. Or 6 to 8. Or the numbers may stay equal to assume some production decline near the end, but I doubt he'll frontload.

I agree obviously that he won't bother with some sort of ridiculous length with low numbers near the end just to get under the cap in early years. Since cap max is well above what he can spend anyway.

Old
07-21-2010, 08:25 PM
Seth Lake

I'm glad we don't have any players headed to arbitration this year...Clarke MacArthur was awarded $2.4 million today and Atlanta rightfully immediately walked away from the award.

$2.4 million for a third liner with limited impact...geesh! If Hornqvist went to arbitration (which he was not eligible to do), he'd likely get $5+ million based on MacArthur's award!

Old
07-21-2010, 10:59 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

David Perron just reuped in St. Louis. I can see Hornqvist getting a similar, maybe slightly larger extension.

Old
07-22-2010, 01:04 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
I'm glad we don't have any players headed to arbitration this year...Clarke MacArthur was awarded $2.4 million today and Atlanta rightfully immediately walked away from the award.
Looks like Rick Dudley is just as much of a bumbling oaf as his predecessor and superior...

... unless, of course, his predecessor and superior is still running the show. Which would make total sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
David Perron just reuped in St. Louis. I can see Hornqvist getting a similar, maybe slightly larger extension.
That's the ideal contract for us and for Hornqvist.

Old
07-22-2010, 08:22 AM
Top 6 Spaling

I've heard from nnumerous sources (Ek, NHL sources say, etc.) that the Rangers are considering trading Gaborik to the Kings and signing Kovy themselves.

At first glance and without knowing the exact return on Gabs, this seems like a great deal for the Rangers. They change superstars, but get a younger guy for presumably the same amount, plus they get some decent players and picks from LA for Gaborik. Sounds like a win - win for them.

This only makes sense for the Kings if they believe there is no way they can sign Kovy themselves. If they really want a superstar and think it'll boost their attendence, then they should go for it, but it still is questionable to me.

Old
07-22-2010, 08:54 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Gaborik also has a groin made of glass. He is a legitimate superstar, but he still misses a lot of time.

Old
07-22-2010, 02:51 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Jeff Taffe from Florida Panthers to Chicago Blackhawks for Marty Reasoner

Old
07-26-2010, 10:13 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Mason Raymond just re-signed with Vancouver, 2 years, 2.5 per.

Comparable to use for Hornqvist?

Old
07-26-2010, 10:36 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Mason Raymond just re-signed with Vancouver, 2 years, 2.5 per.

Comparable to use for Hornqvist?
I'd say yes. Raymond is 24 and scored 25 goals and 53 points. Hornqvist is 23 and scored 30 goals and 51 points.

2.7 million for Hornqvist?

Old
07-27-2010, 10:18 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Matt Moulson gets one year, 2.45 million from NYI.

That's enough comparables...let's get it done with Horns.

I'd be happy with 2 years, 2.6 per.

Old
07-27-2010, 05:42 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Frolov to the Rangers (1yr, $3M)
Ponikarovsky to the Kings (1yr, $3.2M)

Fair price for both.

Old
07-27-2010, 09:11 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Frolov to the Rangers (1yr, $3M)
Ponikarovsky to the Kings (1yr, $3.2M)

Fair price for both.
Poni is overpaid at that price, IMO. Not really a fan of his. Streaky offensively, inconsistent defensively. Frolov at 3 for a year might be a good gamble for the Rangers though...if any of their gambles ever pan out.

Old
07-28-2010, 01:59 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Leddy just signed with Chicago after a wholly mediocre freshman year.

Minnesota has quickly developed a poor reputation for player development over the last three years. I have to think that if Budish shows any signs of NHL development that he'll be wearing a sailor's skull by March.

Last edited by worstfaceoffmanever: 07-28-2010 at 02:04 AM.
Old
07-28-2010, 06:24 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Leddy just signed with Chicago after a wholly mediocre freshman year.

Minnesota has quickly developed a poor reputation for player development over the last three years. I have to think that if Budish shows any signs of NHL development that he'll be wearing a sailor's skull by March.
Agreed. Budish will get a huge boost in minutes at Minnesota this year and also hopefully a shot at the WJC's too. If he plays well this season, there is no doubt that strong consideration will be given to him turning pro. The Gophers knew he was a 2-3 year player when they signed him, he is physically mature already due to football, all that's left for Zach is to show he can play effectively in a top role at this level...

Old
07-28-2010, 10:09 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Agreed. Budish will get a huge boost in minutes at Minnesota this year and also hopefully a shot at the WJC's too. If he plays well this season, there is no doubt that strong consideration will be given to him turning pro. The Gophers knew he was a 2-3 year player when they signed him, he is physically mature already due to football, all that's left for Zach is to show he can play effectively in a top role at this level...
Which leads to the question. Where the hell will he play with all the forward depth?

Old
07-29-2010, 05:38 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Chicago has a press conference tonight. This has to be about Niemi. i doubt theyd have one just to say they let him walk, but I doubt they had the money to sign him. I smell a trade or a Turco signing.

Old
07-29-2010, 09:14 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Chicago has a press conference tonight. This has to be about Niemi. i doubt theyd have one just to say they let him walk, but I doubt they had the money to sign him. I smell a trade or a Turco signing.
It was just an informational state of the union type deal. Niemi's award won't be announced until Saturday. They basically said that they hope to keep Niemi, but will do what they have to, regardless.

Closed Thread