HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kyle Chipchura WAS a good draft pick

Old
07-27-2010, 06:22 PM
TankEller*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I don't consider Eller a long-range bottom-6 player. I thought that would be obvious to anybody. But it should be controversial enough around here that I'd take Chipchura over any of Pyatt, White, Lapierre, Boyd.
Dime a dozen. He wouldn't be a significant upgrade over anything we have on our current roster.

Quote:
I'd take him over Pouliot too.
This is where I think people overrate him. Do you actually believe Chipchura is a better NHLer than Pouliot? Really?

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 06:23 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
I wasn't happy when they drafted him. Why draft a 3rd liner in the 1st round ? I also remember that on HF, at the time, that's what most people though, that it was a bad pick. Like EVEYBODY else, I wanted Meszaros.
Chipchura and Green were my boys. Meszaros hasn't looked so hot lately...

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 06:26 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
This is where I think people overrate him. Do you actually believe Chipchura is a better NHLer than Pouliot? Really?
I don't see Pouliot as being much better than Dagenais at the moment. He has potential to be more than he is at present, of course. But so does Chipchura. If Pouliot plateaus and Chipchura continues to progress, Chipchura will pass him. I would take my chances on that being what transpires.

I just don't think very many Habs fans have a very well-informed opinion of Chipchura. Everybody would love him if they did. It's practically unavoidable.

Old
07-27-2010, 06:27 PM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
I don't see Pouliot as being much better than Dagenais at the moment. He has potential to be more than he is at present, of course. But so does Chipchura. If Pouliot plateaus and Chipchura continues to progress, Chipchura will pass him. I would take my chances on that being what transpires.

I just don't think very many Habs fans have a very well-informed opinion of Chipchura. Everybody would love him if they did. It's practically unavoidable.
Sorry but I just passed out reading that sentence. And if that sentence doesn't hold true, n'either does your post or what you believe is happening with Pouliot at the moment.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 06:32 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
Sorry but I just passed out reading that sentence. And if that sentence doesn't hold true, n'either does your post or what you believe is happening with Pouliot at the moment.
Heh, I also think Dagenais has an exaggeratedly bad rap around here too. If that doesn't help confuse the issue even more. Can I possibly be more controversial in a 15-minute span than this?

But I'm also reasonably confident (as much as I ever am, doesn't necessarily say much) on all this, because these are all players I've watched a lot and have solid instincts on. I'm not actually *trying* to be controversial. Y'all will see. Or I will. That's how she goes.

Old
07-27-2010, 06:34 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Chipchura was at best going to be a fourth line player. It is a dumb pick like Trevor Timmins is famous for. Sometimes he get lucky, but the rest of the time his picks have been abismal.
What ???

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 06:36 PM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Heh, I also think Dagenais has an exaggeratedly bad rap around here too. If that doesn't help confuse the issue even more. Can I possibly be more controversial in a 15-minute span than this?

But I'm also reasonably confident (as much as I ever am, doesn't necessarily say much) on all this, because these are all players I've watched a lot and have solid instincts on. I'm not actually *trying* to be controversial. Y'all will see. Or I will. That's how she goes.
Hey I'm controversial too, or else I would just accept whetever everyone is claiming around here and be a fool right? And from the post I am now quoting I can understand where you're coming from. The problem is that logic is that Dagenais had a wicked release and only had chemistry with a rookie that some of us labled as having the same vision as Gretzky (Ribeiro) and wasn't all that interested to become a hockey player anyways. Pouliot, while not panning out even with an offense starved Minnesota team, still held value whereas Dagenais had none even though he scored 17 goals. He was only 23 as well, still young, the writing was on the wall and everyone read it. Pouliot has Andrei Kostitsyn potential (a guy that can influence the course of the game 1 time out of 3 in our favor I call that a bomb player), now if you determine it to be a bad thing or not then that's not up to me.

Last edited by Next Best Thing*: 07-27-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old
07-27-2010, 06:42 PM
Patofqc*

Timmins is way overrated on this board. What great player currently playing on the Habs has he drafted? Our main guy all come from other organisation except Markov, which he did not draft. Subban is going to be pretty good, that seems to be is only good job. Look at his first round picks, its awful...

Patofqc* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 06:43 PM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Timmins is way overrated on this board. What great player currently playing on the Habs has he drafted? Our main guy all come from other organisation except Markov, which he did not draft. Subban is going to be pretty good, that seems to be is only good job. Look at his first roud picks, its awful...
Drafting is not our problem, quit living in the past.

Oh wait....

Old
07-27-2010, 07:04 PM
Kensai Akatsume Ryu

Send a message via MSN to Kensai Akatsume Ryu
Quote:
Its a shame that so many Habs fan embrace mediocrity
When GM do trades, you know they are also speaking with Timmins? Look at our prospect pool, have we got a good one or am I wrong? Kostitsyn is not Carter, no Getzlaf... Jessiman is not Kostitsyn. Halak is not (insert another team's 7th round bust here). Hindsight is perfect isn't it

Kensai Akatsume Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 07:14 PM
Patofqc*

I dont think we have that great of a prospect pool actually. I have doubt about Eller. The only sure thing is Subban. Then what prospect are u talking about my poetic and toughful friend

Patofqc* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 07:18 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
I dont think we have that great of a prospect pool actually. I have doubt about Eller. The only sure thing is Subban. Then what prospect are u talking about my poetic and toughful friend
So, what our newly arrived friend will do about that situation ? Pray tell us, share your wisdom to us, poor souls

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 07:28 PM
Habs

I would take Chips over half the other prospects, players we currently have.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 07:29 PM
JayBee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
I would take Chips over half the other prospects, players we currently have.
this makes me depressed.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 07:35 PM
AntonCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
Chipchura was said to be the next Bob Gainey. Look how that turned out, massive shoes to fill, and the likely hood of him panning out the way we hoped was slim, very slim.

At the time he was a good pick, but as said previously, **** happens, and its time to move on.
That is why he was drafted so high
No one could foresee that almost career ending injury, and because of it, there's no way in knowing how he would've turned out.

Just like there's no way we can know what would've become of koivu if he hadn't suffered his injury early on in his career.

So yeah, time to move on

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 07:35 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
I don't consider Eller a long-range bottom-6 player. I thought that would be obvious to anybody. But it should be controversial enough around here that I'd take Chipchura over any of Pyatt, White, Lapierre, Boyd.

I'd take him over Pouliot too.

Chipchura over Pouliot. So that's why you call yourself the Blind Guardian

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 07:48 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Chipchura over Pouliot. So that's why you call yourself the Blind Guardian
Pouliot's gonna bring a lot more goals, that's for sure. Chipchura has him beat by a fair margin in all other aspects though.

He's a lot grittier, much better defensively and a more willing fighter. He got his team some goals too.

Both players averaged out as 3rd liners last year, but Chips was a lot more consistent.

If Pouliot doesn't get that straightened out, Chips will be more valuable to his team.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 07:54 PM
JackZap

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostitsyn1489 View Post
And you're absolutely stupid if you think teams draft 3rd or 4th line players only in 3rd or 4th round.
do they draft them in the 1st round?

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 08:12 PM
TheBuriedHab

He had that horrible injury to his Achilles that hampered his skating ability. He was picked before the lockout, he was an ideal player for the clutch and grab nhl. With the rule changes and his hampered skating it snowballed against him. Was not a bad pick at the time.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 08:27 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLPacman67 View Post
Pouliot's gonna bring a lot more goals, that's for sure. Chipchura has him beat by a fair margin in all other aspects though.

He's a lot grittier, much better defensively and a more willing fighter. He got his team some goals too.

Both players averaged out as 3rd liners last year, but Chips was a lot more consistent.

If Pouliot doesn't get that straightened out, Chips will be more valuable to his team.
Pouliot has the size, speed, hands, shot, and vision to be a 1st liner if he puts it all together. Chipchura, if he puts it all together, would be lucky to get 10+15 on a great year. Sure, Chips is polished, but being a little handy in your own zone does not constitute the belief that he is worth more than a man who has 65 to 85 point potential lurking inside of him

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 08:33 PM
THE HOFF

oh my god kyle chipchura still has fans?

oh nevermind its just a bunch of lads trying to prevent us from thinking that despite his level of suckage ... he WAS NOT A BAD PICK, OKAY!!!

denial.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 08:56 PM
JayBee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE HOFF View Post

oh nevermind its just a bunch of lads trying to prevent us from thinking that despite his level of suckage ... he WAS NOT A BAD PICK, OKAY!!!

denial.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 10:01 PM
maxpower2010*

Quote:

denial.
This.

Apologists. Gotta love 'em.

maxpower2010* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 10:02 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Pouliot has the size, speed, hands, shot, and vision to be a 1st liner if he puts it all together. Chipchura, if he puts it all together, would be lucky to get 10+15 on a great year. Sure, Chips is polished, but being a little handy in your own zone does not constitute the belief that he is worth more than a man who has 65 to 85 point potential lurking inside of him
We talking potential here.

What Chipchura showed over his whole time in Anaheim may not trump what Pouliot showed early here, but it sure as hell beats what we saw late in the season and into the postseason.

What you get out of Pouliot is a mystery on any given night (so far). You know what you're getting out of Chipchura and you need guys that can do that. People are enamored with Pyatt over here. Now imagine a bigger, much more grittier and more talented guy. He's playing in Anaheim. Oh but he's slower. So he's garbage. What am I saying.

Quote:

denial.
Oh hey, someone totally clueless.

Let me tell you about this place. It's called the Western conference. You can check out their games on TV.

Then you can come back and actually make comments that don't reek of ignorance.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 10:12 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:

denial.
He can easily become the big shutdown 3rd line center he was projected to become. He isn't 'flashy' but he'll be in the NHL a lot longer than most Habs fans think...he's certainly not a bust. Bad pick considering in hindsight who was available? I'd say so. Bad player because player taken below him will put up more points? Not at all. People make the same judgment with Kostitsyn all the time.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote