HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Post your backyard setup

Old
05-31-2010, 12:37 AM
Galchenyuk27
C'est le buuuuuuuuut

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Galchenyuk27
I have the intermediate shooting board from Hockeyshot.com. Very pleased so far, I like it a lot, but one question...what is the method for cleaning it...Just water? What do you guys use to clean yours?

Galchenyuk27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 05:03 PM
HowToHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Fan in NJ View Post
I have the intermediate shooting board from Hockeyshot.com. Very pleased so far, I like it a lot, but one question...what is the method for cleaning it...Just water? What do you guys use to clean yours?
My old one is blacker than the ice of spades (in the heavy traffic areas) mostly because I use it purely for slapshots. I tried cleaning it with goo b gone, but it didn't really work. I just use it for slapshots so it doesn't really need to be clean. The pucks still slide fine for me.

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2010, 05:19 PM
HowToHockey

My set up At first I was shooting into a giant fishing net that I had up between two trees. My yard is on a slant and had a tonne of trees so I shot off the only flat part (behind my shed) and into the net.

Then my brother came and cut down all the trees

Now I had to take advantage of the flatspot so I got the EZ goal and shooting pad.

Because my shot is pretty hard I had to modify the EZ goal backstop. I just laced it up with the old fishing net I was using before! So here is my set up .....

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 06:09 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr580 View Post
I'm using what's called a Thrifty White Board. It's a 4'x8' panel for $12 at Home Depot or Lowe's. It's a thin wood panel with a white plastic coating on top that makes it slick. It's slick enough to shoot off of as-is. Bought some silicone lube though and the board is slick as snot now.

Thrifty White Board @ Lowe's

Note: I have it on uneven, rough concrete or a brick patio so I put a 1/2" plywood board underneath to keep it from getting torn up.
You are a genius. I finally got around to doing this and it works amazing. I just need a goal or backstop because sent a puck over the short fence 30ft away.

Picture to come shortly when I get a target.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 07:03 PM
Razzmatazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitbtw View Post
You are a genius. I finally got around to doing this and it works amazing. I just need a goal or backstop because sent a puck over the short fence 30ft away.

Picture to come shortly when I get a target.
I love the thing, I recommend it for everyone who is looking for a shooting pad.

It can get scratched up after hundreds of shots, but I cut mine into 4x2 foot sections, so it is very easily replaced, light enough to carry, and comes out to just under $3 for each smaller board.

I take it out to the outdoor squash court at the park and just throw it down, as is. Spray on some lubricant, rub the pucks faces around a little, then wipe it down with a towel, and it is perfect, you don't even need to screw it to a plyboard as long as it's on a flat surface.

Razzmatazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 09:36 PM
sniper515

Anyone wanna come to my house to do something like this for me?

sniper515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 02:54 PM
weedsnager

mine is in the garage

weedsnager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 10:24 AM
Blueland89

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr580 View Post
I'm using what's called a Thrifty White Board. It's a 4'x8' panel for $12 at Home Depot or Lowe's. It's a thin wood panel with a white plastic coating on top that makes it slick. It's slick enough to shoot off of as-is. Bought some silicone lube though and the board is slick as snot now.

Thrifty White Board @ Lowe's

Note: I have it on uneven, rough concrete or a brick patio so I put a 1/2" plywood board underneath to keep it from getting torn up.
I just got my shooting board in the mail the other day then last night i went to lowes and saw the white board me and my wife were like wtf i just spent $35 on the one i got and it's half the size for double the price. They are essentially the same thing

Last edited by Blueland89: 12-13-2010 at 02:30 PM.
Blueland89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 06:48 PM
sauce9397

sweet stuff guys. For the netting behind the actual net, what are you guys using to keep it up? And is it strong enough to stay standing for slapshots?

sauce9397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 05:47 AM
kr580
HF's Minecraft Guy

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girouxxxxx28 View Post
sweet stuff guys. For the netting behind the actual net, what are you guys using to keep it up? And is it strong enough to stay standing for slapshots?
I just have a basic rope to hold it up. As long as the netting has plenty of slack it'll hold up to anything you can shoot at it. It disperses the impact very quickly and gently. If you hang the net tightly you'll probably punch holes in it with slappers.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 02:40 PM
HockeyGuy1975

Does anyone has any suggestions for those of us that live in apartments? I can get a bucket of pucks and shooting boards, and take them to the park for some shooting. But, what do I do about a net/goal? I need something mobile... something I can collapse and fit into the truck of my car. Got any suggestions?

HockeyGuy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 02:45 PM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuy1975 View Post
Does anyone has any suggestions for those of us that live in apartments? I can get a bucket of pucks and shooting boards, and take them to the park for some shooting. But, what do I do about a net/goal? I need something mobile... something I can collapse and fit into the truck of my car. Got any suggestions?
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...ghlight=ez+net not sure how big your trunk is and if your seats fold down, but from what Ive seen and read thats one of the better mobile ones

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 02:56 PM
HockeyGuy1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberrydanish View Post
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...ghlight=ez+net not sure how big your trunk is and if your seats fold down, but from what Ive seen and read thats one of the better mobile ones
Thanks. I saw that video but the net won't fit in my car. I have a statiowagon, but the net is too wide. I'm thinking of creating some sort of net entrapment. Maybe a few 2 x 4's and a net. Don't know what to do.

HockeyGuy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 02:46 PM
Blueland89

I'm gonna have to post my set up

It's our carport/building outside with a shooting pad and instead of a goal i used the old stove that was left in teh house from the last people that lived there

Old
12-14-2010, 08:44 AM
Skraut

Since this thread got bumped let me add a little bit of comment on my home set-up.

Threw some water down on my thrifty whiteboard. It froze, now I'm shooting on ice. Sure the board will be ruined and I'll need to buy another one for $10 in the spring, but it works even better now

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 09:49 AM
Blueland89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Since this thread got bumped let me add a little bit of comment on my home set-up.

Threw some water down on my thrifty whiteboard. It froze, now I'm shooting on ice. Sure the board will be ruined and I'll need to buy another one for $10 in the spring, but it works even better now
i never thought about that

Old
12-14-2010, 01:27 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueland89 View Post
i never thought about that
Well it helps when my backyard has about 8" of snow, but my shooting board/net is on the back porch. Just leave the pucks outside, let 'em freeze, and they work great.

Old
12-18-2010, 12:43 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post

Had a little warmer weather, the ice melted. But grabbed some snow, spread it around lightly on the board and it worked even better than the when the board was covered in ice. It's almost too slick.

Old
12-19-2010, 05:33 PM
dpollen54

so i live in a small studio apartment and wanna build a small setup to shoot. the apt definetly has the length too and its hard to do anything outside since i live in centercity. any ideas on how to do this without giving my landlord a heart attack

dpollen54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 09:48 PM
kr580
HF's Minecraft Guy

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpollen54 View Post
so i live in a small studio apartment and wanna build a small setup to shoot. the apt definetly has the length too and its hard to do anything outside since i live in centercity. any ideas on how to do this without giving my landlord a heart attack
1. Make a smaller version of my setup in the first post.
2. Don't miss the net.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 02:26 AM
pbgoalie

Hey everyone/
I'm a golf pro.
There are some really good practice nets that have the ability to hold up to tons of use.
Look under golf training aids, there are a bunch of them

pbgoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 09:18 PM
STL Blues Fan

vCash: 50
Cool stuff guys, I'm getting a net this week, then getting a whiteboard and may build one of those bungie cord things for passes or one timers to set up in my basement. Will post pics when finished hopefully this time next weekend.

STL Blues Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 01:22 PM
homersimpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzmatazz View Post
Net tied to the poles, broken down and rolled up...looks like contraban, but it does the trick

I thought that was a joint at first.

homersimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 02:36 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowToHockey View Post
My set up At first I was shooting into a giant fishing net that I had up between two trees. My yard is on a slant and had a tonne of trees so I shot off the only flat part (behind my shed) and into the net.

Then my brother came and cut down all the trees

Now I had to take advantage of the flatspot so I got the EZ goal and shooting pad.

Because my shot is pretty hard I had to modify the EZ goal backstop. I just laced it up with the old fishing net I was using before! So here is my set up .....

I have the EZ goal and I love it. It's one of the best training aids I've bought. I'll post a pic of my setup later. Good stuff boys!

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 09:13 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

My setup

Banged up fridge

Banged up wall

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote