HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sather's off-season - impressive

Closed Thread

Old
07-27-2010, 03:24 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
The Boogaard contract is awful. Signing Boogaard isn't awful, but the contract is awful.

Other then that, he did a good job this summer.

McIlrath, I'll reserve judgment on until we see how he starts to develop.
With your track record regarding how you judge our prospects, Im sure you'll be loving him in no time.

Old
07-27-2010, 03:26 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanRanger View Post
No you're right but thats what its come to with Sather!

Offseason Success for Slats= Not ****ing up as much as usual!

I don't quite understand the Christensen deal myself, but at least its only 2 years at under a mill-

Look I did it again! :laugh
:
Look, Dad, lil' Glen didn't take off his finger this time!! SUCCESS!!!!!!

Old
07-27-2010, 03:34 PM
ruckus*

I think some of us get too bent out of shape over other people's opinions (myself included). The internet/message board thing makes it difficult to really get a gauge on people and that's part of the problem.

A lot of times we read things and we're like WTF IS THAT PERSON TALKING ABOUT ARE THEY CRAZY? But if we were actually physically having that conversation with them it'd be much easier for us to determine whether we value that person's opinion or not.

Trust me, I know plenty of people who only talk to me about the Rangers. That's the only thing I talk to them about. The only time I get a text from them. I don't really like them much, but I love talking about the Rangers. At the same time, I know that I don't value their opinion at all on things because from seeing them and talking to them I know they have no idea what they're talking about.

As far as this thread goes, I think Edge is the one who keeps hitting the nail on the head. This offseason can't be viewed in a one year bubble.

If anyone was expecting this team to do big, big things and really be a threat next year then shame on you. With the salary cap situation and the current state of the team it's not realistic. The moves, for what they are, are alright. They keep this team in contention for a playoff spot while at the same time not hindering us long terming and making guys easily moveable or replaceable when some of our young talent comes along.

Someone like Inferno I can understand because I too would almost rather not have signed Frolov if it meant that one of the kids was going to get a real shot.

At the same time, I'm excited to add a player to the mix that can be a 60 point guy and hopefully flourish in a big time role for this team.

We all want this team to win, some of us are just smarter than others.

Old
07-27-2010, 03:38 PM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

What did he do wrong this summer besides overpaying for Boogaard by about $500K? (Please don't say sign Kovalchuk, that was never a realistic option.)

I consider it a success because there isn't a huge roster turnover this year. Chemistry is very important in hockey. By not having another massive roster turnover, that allows chemistry to build, making the team better.

And to the people complaining that now the kids can't play, what kids are ready? Randomly throwing kids into the NHL who aren't ready is probably the worst thing you can do for their progression. Does Kyle Turris ring a bell?

Old
07-27-2010, 03:43 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrap View Post
Just by skimming this thread I think that some "fans" really just want this team to fail...
It's July 27th, just seems silly to give it any grade when most of these players are filling the roles left by last years failures, and they're not exactly known for consistency, its a gamble, but definite improvement over Denver Lisin.

I've always been Frolov fan. Boogard is a minor discussion, he plays 8% of the game, its pointless the endless discussions that take place here.

I was impressed by chocolates and roses 5 years ago, now I want a ring

Old
07-27-2010, 03:44 PM
Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
This is one of Sather's best offseasons by default because he didn't throw a huge, cap-crippling long-term contract to anyone.
It's nice to see Ranger fans excited again but if it's a great offseason because of that fact it just shows how bad the work of Sather actually is.
Sather did some good moves the last fews weeks but overall the guy is still a huge failure and badly needs to be replaced.

Anyhow I still hope the Rangers will have a good season and compete for a playoff spot but I guess you gotta rank the Devils, Pens and Philly ahead of us right now.

Old
07-27-2010, 03:45 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Tell me about it.

Oh, you forgot to mention why you mentioned pre-lockout moves to support your Sather theory, when your argument is that he has only been good POST lockout.
giving hank a shot then locking him up happened post lockout. the jagr regime didn't take root until post lockout, and cally didn't appear until then also. These decisions of player management fall under the responsibilities of the GM. That's as far as I'll go with you because if you think 1+1=3 no one would be able to change your mind, so I'm not wasting any more of my time

edit: Oh and btw I'm never reading or responding to your mental diarrhea again. Congrats on being the first person I've ignored.

Old
07-27-2010, 04:04 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Great summer. I am only unhappy with the Boogaard terms. not the signing in principle however. We can comment about Orr but THIS offseason, he's done well. He needs needs needs to get Staal signed before I can declare it a victory however.

Old
07-27-2010, 04:10 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
giving hank a shot then locking him up happened post lockout. the jagr regime didn't take root until post lockout, and cally didn't appear until then also. These decisions of player management fall under the responsibilities of the GM. That's as far as I'll go with you because if you think 1+1=3 no one would be able to change your mind, so I'm not wasting any more of my time

edit: Oh and btw I'm never reading or responding to your mental diarrhea again. Congrats on being the first person I've ignored.
Hank gave himself a shot by being a brick wall in Europe. If Sather had any inclination that he'd be something, he might've been able to avoid the disaster Montoya pick. Jagr was, by far, his best move of the last 10 years. Its not even really close. But (and maybe this is me being bitter about the dozens of bad moves over the last decade), I remain convinced that Sather hung onto Jagr for the starpower on a team that was designed to stink right after the lockout. He just happened to catch lightning in a bottle with JJ and Lundqvist having incredible seasons. That taste of mild success is what has doomed Sather ever since.

Old
07-27-2010, 04:16 PM
ReggieDunlop68
Hey Hanrahan!

You can call it a success in the sense that Sather didn't once again shoot off the proverbial toe of this organization; however, when judging the word success based on the par that is necessary for competitive team in the NHL, I would have to give him a negative to even grade at best.

Old
07-27-2010, 04:28 PM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

To all the pessimists:

In your eyes, what could Sather have realistically done differently this off-season to make you consider it a success?

Old
07-27-2010, 04:32 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrikTheKing30 View Post
To all the pessimists:

In your eyes, what could Sather have realistically done differently this off-season to make you consider it a success?
Not signed Boogard. All the other moves were good, but that one was so bad that it leaves a sour taste. The best enforcers in todays game can actually play the game of hockey too. Its just further proof that the game continues to pass Sather by at an alarming rate.

Old
07-27-2010, 04:32 PM
TrojanRanger

Quote:
To all the pessimists:

Kovalchuk! DUH!

Honestly, I would have liked to see Slats stick to a plan. The moves Slats made prior to today signaled, to me at least, that Slats had accepted that the team wasn't going to be very good next year and was willing to take his lumps. Now that hes signed Frolov, I don't know.

I'm not gonna cry over a one year deal at good money, but again I wish that hed just stick to a plan for once instead of throwing a mystery box at us, again.

Old
07-27-2010, 04:33 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
Let's see, Sather has failed to address the biggest weakness on this team (first line center) and it's arguable whether or not this team is even as good as the team that just missed the playoffs last season and yet people are doing cartwheels about his performance this summer?

It just amazes me that we've gotten to the point where if our GM doesn't do something monumentally stupid, he gets a Gold Star for his summer.
Haha no one did cartwheels dude calm down. People are happy he didn't hamstring the team with an 8 mil per deal or a 5 mil per Frolov or Volchenkov deal. But people it still clearly comes through people hate Sather and he sucks. he got lucky this off-season. I say fire him before he reverts back to his old ways in a year or two.

For this year he filled a lot of team needs. This was a good off season. Now Dubs, Cally, Artie and MZA won't carry the load for secondary scoring b/c we also have Prospal, EC, Frolov. Those guys are still developing maybe with the exception of Cally and they need some help otherwise it could hamper their progress. How much longer can Cally keep playing 2nd line minutes out of place?

If you particularly didn't like some of the moves fine I understand hesitation about Girardi, the Mcllrath pick, signing Prospal...but anyone with intelligence realizes that being happy with this off season is warranted. You can make a valid arguement either way which means both sides should be respectful and refrain from begging for . This is not a help situation. The guy who predicts a cup this year...? Ok you can help at him. But no one is doing that.

Old
07-27-2010, 04:36 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
To all the pessimists:

1) Not sign both Prospal and Christensen

2) Not commit four years to Dan Girardi

3) Not sign Boogaard to a four year deal

4) Trade for a young center with 1st line potential on a team that may be ready to move on. (HINT - Derrick Brassard)

And, even if he did, (or didn't do all of that), the Rangers would still not be a playoff team in my mind. But, I wasn't asking him to make the Rangers a playoff team.

Old
07-27-2010, 04:39 PM
GaborikEqualsGod1995*

Quote:
... He put up four bad moves show I showed four good ones. I could go on... do you really need me to?
I didn't even put the Kotalik and Boogard contracts.

Old
07-27-2010, 04:55 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
The best enforcers in todays game can actually play the game of hockey too.
So who exactly would you have signed as an enforcer?

Old
07-27-2010, 05:03 PM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

Quote:
Not signed Boogard. All the other moves were good, but that one was so bad that it leaves a sour taste. The best enforcers in todays game can actually play the game of hockey too. Its just further proof that the game continues to pass Sather by at an alarming rate.
He overpaid for Boogaard by $500K. Like it or not, we needed a beast (physically) that other teams would be scared to play against. Lundqvist was run far too many times last year. We were soft as Charmin during the season, Boogaard addresses that need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanRanger View Post
Kovalchuk! DUH!

Honestly, I would have liked to see Slats stick to a plan. The moves Slats made prior to today signaled, to me at least, that Slats had accepted that the team wasn't going to be very good next year and was willing to take his lumps. Now that hes signed Frolov, I don't know.

I'm not gonna cry over a one year deal at good money, but again I wish that hed just stick to a plan for once instead of throwing a mystery box at us, again.
Who says you can't be competitive while rebuilding? We have a good core of players now in Dubi, Callahan, Anisimov, Gaborik, Del Zotto, Staal, Girardi, and Lundqvist, and top prospects in Kreider, Stepan, Grachev who were all in the top 25 in THN's Future watch, not to mention McDonagh (and maybe McIlrath).

I like the Frolov signing simply because he takes some of the pressure off of Gaborik and off of the young players expected to produce. Besides Gaborik, how many of the Rangers on the roster are LEGIT top 6 talent? Anisimov isn't (though he could be). Christensen isn't. Prospal is declining and at this point I wouldn't call him a LEGIT top 6 player. MZA hasn't set foot on the ice in the NHL. Dubinsky is inconsistent (though he could be).

That's why the signing of Frolov for one year is important, even if we are rebuilding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
1) Not sign both Prospal and Christensen

2) Not commit four years to Dan Girardi

3) Not sign Boogaard to a four year deal

4) Trade for a young center with 1st line potential on a team that may be ready to move on. (HINT - Derrick Brassard)

And, even if he did, (or didn't do all of that), the Rangers would still not be a playoff team in my mind. But, I wasn't asking him to make the Rangers a playoff team.
1) They both showed great chemistry with Gaborik, which is why they were both brought back. I doubt Prospal even makes it the whole season. At worst, Prospal/Christensen are depth players.

2) What's wrong with 4 years to Girardi? In my eyes, he's a top 4 defender (not looking to make this into another Girardi argument).

3) Like I said, Boogaard is overpaid by $500K and the terms are a little long, but someone with some grit was needed.

4) People keep saying make a trade for young talent like its that easy? What would you package together for Brassard? Remember, two years ago, he had 25 points in 31 games, they aren't just going to give him away. It would probably take overpayment on our part and would not be worth it.

All I'm trying to prove here is that some of you guys need to lower your expectations and be realistic. Expecting us to get Kovalchuk was setting yourself up to be disappointed. The Rangers have a commitment to youth. Be patient. Our time will come.

Old
07-27-2010, 05:04 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
With your track record regarding how you judge our prospects, Im sure you'll be loving him in no time.
I can't tell how you mean that.

I'm not high on every Rangers prospect if that's what you mean. I hated the McIlrath pick when it was made.

There are a group of guys at any given time that i am high on and not high on.

I was wrong about Zaborsky, Pyatt, Dawes, and a bunch of others...

I was right about Dubinsky, Callahan, Lundqvist, Staal, Del Zotto, Anisimov, and things are looking good for Stepan, Kreider, Grachev, Werek, McDonagh.

I don't know enough about McIlrath, i'm not high on Thomas, Bourque, Hagelin (actually on the fence about him, wish he would turn pro), and a lot of others.

I think Byers and Weise could play in the NHL now. They both produce at the pro level, are young, have size, strength, and play a simple game.

I'm not sure what there is to dislike about some of the guys we have coming up.

McDonagh will be in the NHL this year. Stepan and Grachev could be at some point this year. Kreider could be next year. Werek in a year or two. And it looks like the Rangers are going to give them every opportunity to make it.

The jury is out on Sanguinetti. He will probably make it. He can play. He has skill. Any team that needs a puck moving defenseman will like him.

Old
07-27-2010, 05:06 PM
chip chipperson*

the team is still a borderline playoff team. and the bad contracts still haunt us. no credit for sather

Old
07-27-2010, 05:06 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I don't think enforcers in the traditional sense are needed anymore.

Guys who can hit hard (body check) are the new enforcer.

Old
07-27-2010, 05:59 PM
Blazephr

For myself, I'm not expecting much the upcoming season and perhaps the next. I look at a signing like Frolov, Prospal and Christensen as a stop gap until the kids are ready to make the jump, and at the same time waiting for contracts to expire (Drury, Redden, Brashear and Rozsival). Sather is also filling immediate needs with signings like Boogard, Eminger and Biron. Under these set of circumstances he's trying to ice the best possible team in order to at least sneak into the play-offs, which will appease Dolan. Also, giving our kids the much needed experience the play-offs can offer.

We've been drafting just fine the past 3, 4 years. I have complete faith in Clark, regardless of our draft position.

Old
07-27-2010, 06:12 PM
Blazephr

I'm another person who flipped out when they picked Dylan McIlrath. But with each passing day, I'm liking the pick more and more. He could very well fill the one need this team has desperately lacked since the day Beukeboom was forced to retire. We've not had a defensemen of that caliber roaming our blueline since Beuke. McIlrath has been spending the entire summer in NY working with Reg Grant. Previous draft picks have been offered to do the same, with most of them opting to train in their hometown for the summer.The kid seems to be a solid citizen.I'm pretty certain we'll be hearing a lot rumblings from the WHL about McIlrath. He's going to have solid year with his development if he continues to commit himself on and off the ice.

Old
07-27-2010, 06:14 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
some people wouldn't know what to do with themselves if they couldn't ***** about this team
Oh, I 'd be thrilled. Mediocrity is kind of the worst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Most lottery teams aren't lottery teams on purpose.
True. But some clearly were. At least to the point where they put together a team that they know isn't going to be able to compete no matter how hard the AHL talent they've assembled tries. And they make no effort what so ever to improve those chances other than to bring in a past it veteran presence to help guide the young players. You can categorize that how you want, "intentionally tanking" or not. But you can't categorize it as doing everything possible to be as competitive as you can be.

Old
07-27-2010, 06:19 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
Oh, I 'd be thrilled. Mediocrity is kind of the worst.

True. But some clearly were. At least to the point where they put together a team that they know isn't going to be able to compete no matter how hard the AHL talent they've assembled tries. And they make no effort what so ever to improve those chances other than to bring in a past it veteran presence to help guide the young players. You can categorize that how you want, "intentionally tanking" or not. But you can't categorize it as doing everything possible to be as competitive as you can be.
NO IT'S NOT!!! You know what's the worst? Constantly being terrible. Not constantly being mediocre. Geez.

Closed Thread