HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers currently talking with Frolov's agent(Rumor: Allegedy ready to sign with NYR)

Closed Thread

Old
07-27-2010, 01:05 PM
dtrap

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
It is amazing...add in that he moved to LW after his injury, and scored 17 goals in 51 games, while learning a new position. Then again, this is a fanbase that has clamored for the return of Mike York, Dominic Moore and Jed Ortmeyer.
Dubi is staying. As is Cally. People just need to deal with it.

What is so bad about the roster staying generally intact for ONE YEAR. The last three seasons we have had like a dozen new faces on opening night. Stop trying to tinker and let chemistry build.

Old
07-27-2010, 01:27 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

To me, this is a classic rent to own. One year at very fair terms. He gets to play in the greatest city in the world and if he produces, he gets a big contract. If not, it's off to Siberia. Mix in the Redden bonus and this may be the best move Sather has ever made. No downside whatsoever that I see.

Old
07-27-2010, 01:28 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
To me, this is a classic rent to own. One year at very fair terms. He gets to play in the greatest city in the world and if he produces, he gets a big contract. If not, it's off to Siberia. Mix in the Redden bonus and this may be the best move Sather has ever made. No downside whatsoever that I see.
Where's the cap space coming for a big contract?

07-27-2010, 01:37 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
We'll worry about that next summer. My guess would be Rozsival and/or Drury could be "sacraficed" depending on how they play this year. Let's see how this year plays out and we'll deal with that next summer.

Old
07-27-2010, 01:41 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Rozsival traded. Prospal, Brashear, Gilroy off the books. Cap going up. There are ways for Sather to find money if need be.

Old
07-27-2010, 01:44 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
We'll worry about that next summer. My guess would be Rozsival and/or Drury could be "sacraficed" depending on how they play this year. Let's see how this year plays out and we'll deal with that next summer.
But isn't it the "we'll deal with that next summer" mindset what has put Sather into these kind of situations? He can't seem to look beyond the season right in front of him.

As it stands, after next season only Frolov and Prospal will be UFAs. Callahan, Dubinsky, and Anisimov become RFAs. And that's assuming that Staal signs a deal that's longer than one season. I just can't see where the money is going to come from for a big contract.

Old
07-27-2010, 01:46 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Rozsival traded. Prospal, Brashear, Gilroy off the books. Cap going up. There are ways for Sather to find money if need be.
Lots of assumptions. Rozsival traded? Are teams going to be lining up to take a 35 year old, 5M defenseman who's production has gone down the last three seasons?

Prospal, Brashear and Gilroy may come off, but Callahan, Dubinsky and AA are due for new, and presumably larger, contracts.

Old
07-27-2010, 01:47 PM
TrojanRanger

Quote:
But isn't it the "we'll deal with that next summer" mindset what has put Sather into these kind of situations? He can't seem to look beyond the season right in front of him.

As it stands, after next season only Frolov and Prospal will be UFAs. Callahan, Dubinsky, and Anisimov become RFAs. And that's assuming that Staal signs a deal that's longer than one season. I just can't see where the money is going to come from for a big contract.
Gilroy, Eminger, Boyle and Brashear will all be UFA/RFAnext season too.

Old
07-27-2010, 01:49 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Lots of assumptions. Rozsival traded? Are teams going to be lining up to take a 35 year old, 5M defenseman who's production has gone down the last three seasons?

Prospal, Brashear and Gilroy may come off, but Callahan, Dubinsky and AA are due for new, and presumably larger, contracts.
Rozsival is 31 , not 35.

Old
07-27-2010, 01:51 PM
BlueLooksGood

So uhm, he's basically a lock to start the season opposite of Gaborik, yes?

That's where he could rack up the most points and moves Dubi down to Ani's wing, which I would love.

Counterpoints?

Old
07-27-2010, 01:51 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:

That is true, but Rozsival will be making 3 million in real dollars. For a top-4 defenseman with a lot of experience and who pretty much never misses a game would have value.

This is all dependent on if the Rangers want to bring him back. Sather has options if need be.

Old
07-27-2010, 02:00 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:

Look, I think he's got one eye on the future but he sees things differently than a lot of us do. He obviously has plans for someone -- either Redden (most likely), Drury or Rozsival right now to clear cap space. He's certainly thought forward to next summer. But at the same time at lot of things can happen that change the deck between now and then. Let's see how this group performs and what type of contracts do they earn going forward.

Edge nailed it when he said the emergence of young players will be the key element to the success of the team next year. I don't know if they counted on Wiese being as touted as he has become. I don't know if they knew they were going to cut their losses with Sanguinetti. I don't know what they will think of the 23 players on the NHL roster a year from now.

You can plan long range but you build a team one year at a time.

Old
07-27-2010, 02:19 PM
94now

This is a steal. We have to thank US Congress for that. They passed the Financial Reform Act that contained provisions for Oil Speculation transparency. That will keep oil prices much lower than before. That, in turn, kills Russia's main revenue source. That will effect negatively their economy. As a result KHL becomes an unsafe place to sign at. Hence we got Russians cheap.

Old
07-27-2010, 02:42 PM
mti79

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrap View Post
Dubi is staying. As is Cally. People just need to deal with it.

What is so bad about the roster staying generally intact for ONE YEAR. The last three seasons we have had like a dozen new faces on opening night. Stop trying to tinker and let chemistry build.
Thank you! The last few offseasons everyone was clamoring about the massive turnover and how we need to keep the team together and let them develop. Now, we do that, bring back guys that played well for us and bring in a few new pieces and everyone is upset that we didn't blow up the roster and bring in the flashy names... I'm going to have faith for a little while. Welcome to New York Alexander Frolov!!!!

Old
07-27-2010, 02:58 PM
Edge

I know everyone is itching to trade Rozy, but this defense needs a little more seasoning first.

We have a very real possibility of having 5 defenseman who are 26 and under on our blueline, including as many as 3 guys who have less than 100 games experience.

Old
07-27-2010, 03:31 PM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
You're quite the funny one. It was sarcasm wise guy. Simmer down and stop clawing the chalk board. Relax...breath in...out. It's going to be ok.
Not going to happen. Mention any Russian player and his eyes roll-up to his forehead and he goes into and endless loop about lazy, heartless, blah, blah, blah.

Personally, there's little difference between Z and Fro. None, other than Z's puck skills are worlds beter than Fro, who is more physical and plays in from of the net more. Z will put up 60-70 points easy if he avoids injuries.

That said, I think we should continue to stockpile "heart & soul" NA pumbers who will skate through a wall led by Captain Irrelevant.

Old
07-27-2010, 06:57 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarkko Immonen View Post
YES YES YES

In the last two offseasons two of my favorite non-Rangers have joined the club. Gaborik and now Frolov.

Who is your 3rd favorite non-Ranger?

Old
07-27-2010, 06:59 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLooksGood View Post
So uhm, he's basically a lock to start the season opposite of Gaborik, yes?

That's where he could rack up the most points and moves Dubi down to Ani's wing, which I would love.

Counterpoints?

None, that's how I would have it.

Welcome to NY Alex...

Old
07-27-2010, 08:52 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Stick with the Frolov signing thread.

It's just pain.
Closed Thread