HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Pretty big skate dilemma

Old
07-24-2010, 11:29 PM
Galchenyuk27
Fire Bergevin

vCash: 500
So something in the range of the ONE70 or a similar product from another brand would be good?

Galchenyuk27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 11:38 PM
Scott Hall
The Bad Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Fan in NJ View Post
So something in the range of the ONE70 or a similar product from another brand would be good?
Just a note for you man... If you're planning to play in a serious league, I'd go for a higher-end skate, not just for the comfort, technology, etc, but because they DO offer better protection. I would even recommend heading to an NHL end of team sale if you can. I picked up a pair of used Pro Stock X:60s for about $170 at the sale, still in decent condition with brand new runners in them. The best part was the custom made toe-cap and added skate-guard padding.

Why I suggest this is simple, when you take a slap shot off the skate guard from a newbie player or regular beer league player, you would barely feel it in the X:20s, but if you're going to take one from an up-and-rising college player, or some ex-semi-pro beer leaguer, you'll definitely feel it... for days, weeks, etc.

If you've never tried an RBK skate, I'd suggest trying last year's 9K. You can probably find a brand new pair at your local hockey shop/Sport Chek for about $350 or less and they'd more than do the trick.

Scott Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 12:05 AM
Galchenyuk27
Fire Bergevin

There's probably not any more equipment sales though, no? The Devils and Islanders already had theirs and they were both within driving distance.

What about these: CCM Vector U+ Pro

I know those have some sort of "blemish," I don't really care.

Old
07-25-2010, 01:10 AM
thefeebster

When i was online shopping before my fitting, i was looking at those exact skates. They really do offer the best price/performance. But i worried a lot about getting the wrong size or an ill fitting skate, and really wanted an in-store fitting first.

I researched them on MSH, seemed pretty decent. I remember there was one problem to them - forgot it now but it might have been a longer than usual break-in time or very stiff or something like that. There was another topic that mentioned the blemish is purely cosmetic. I think it was just a black mark on the inside outer boot or on the holder. I forget which, but the poster said they were fine, performance wise.

Try on other CCMs in the store before buying these, to make sure your size and if they actually fit your foot.

thefeebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 02:47 AM
Injektilo

Send a message via MSN to Injektilo
Remember when you're looking at skates, that price doesn't always reflect quality. $200 skates that are the previous years model are much better quality than $200 skates that are this years model, unless there's been some giant technological leap. And skates you buy for $300 are probably better skates than those owned by someone who spent $600 four years ago.

Injektilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 07:30 PM
Galchenyuk27
Fire Bergevin

It's come down to this: These 2008 CCM Vector U+ Pro Skates, which are $200 from there, plus $25 from the local proshop to have them baked. OR, Bauer ONE70's, which if I can get to the local proshop's annual blowout sale in time to get them, they could be around $265 (free baking), if they choose to put them on sale. But waiting until the date of the sale (August 5th) may be risky, because I spoke to a kid today that works there that says they may or may not put them out. They may end up only putting the ONE60's out, which I'd prefer to get a better skate than.

I tried on the ONE70's today and they felt great. I know it's not the same skate, but I tried on this year's U+ Pros or whatever they're called as well, and they also felt good.

Any suggestions on which skates to get? I'm sure somebody has input on either/both.

Old
07-27-2010, 09:33 PM
WVP

Quote:
Does WVU suck? I hope so, I'm not that good yet. I played Roller hockey from ages 6-16 and ice from 8-14. Most of what remains is roller hockey fundamentals so I'm still bringing back what I remember from ice, and just getting my **** together in general. Right now I'm working on things that really just come down to ice time and getting used to it, such as vision, and overall what I guess you could call "hockey IQ." I'm decent on skates I would say. I never fall or anything, I'm decently quick, right now I'm just working on stopping which is coming a little slower than I would like. I'm decent now but I just need to work on stopping ALL momentum. I don't really kick up much snow. But that's the only thing I don't do well as far as skating goes. Right now I've been doing a lot of open skates, open stick and pucks, open rec hockey. If I don't make the team this year, I will continue to practice like that, but at some point organized team hockey in a serious league is in my future. So I guess maybe in that sense I should invest in nice skates since that is what is in store no matter what. I won't be giving up any time soon.
I recall your post from the Pens board.

Reading the bolded above, sounds like you're being a bit ambitious. Like I said, the WVU club team isn't the best college team in America but it's still made up of better high school players for the most part.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 09:34 PM
WVP

Quote:
It's come down to this: These 2008 CCM Vector U+ Pro Skates, which are $200 from there, plus $25 from the local proshop to have them baked. OR, Bauer ONE70's, which if I can get to the local proshop's annual blowout sale in time to get them, they could be around $265 (free baking), if they choose to put them on sale. But waiting until the date of the sale (August 5th) may be risky, because I spoke to a kid today that works there that says they may or may not put them out. They may end up only putting the ONE60's out, which I'd prefer to get a better skate than.

I tried on the ONE70's today and they felt great. I know it's not the same skate, but I tried on this year's U+ Pros or whatever they're called as well, and they also felt good.

Any suggestions on which skates to get? I'm sure somebody has input on either/both.
Probably go with the ones that feel great?

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 11:21 PM
Galchenyuk27
Fire Bergevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
I recall your post from the Pens board.

Reading the bolded above, sounds like you're being a bit ambitious. Like I said, the WVU club team isn't the best college team in America but it's still made up of better high school players for the most part.
I never denied being ambitious. I don't expect to make the team first year and become the team captain or anything.

As I thought I said, that's my goal. I don't even think I'm bothering to try out this first year.

I think I'm being completely reasonable here, nothing too crazy, but I guess I could be wrong then.

They both felt practically the same unbaked, which is my problem. I think I'm going with the CCM's just because they're cheaper and they felt similar to me.

Old
07-28-2010, 12:02 AM
ponder

Quote:
I never denied being ambitious. I don't expect to make the team first year and become the team captain or anything.

As I thought I said, that's my goal. I don't even think I'm bothering to try out this first year.

I think I'm being completely reasonable here, nothing too crazy, but I guess I could be wrong then.

They both felt practically the same unbaked, which is my problem. I think I'm going with the CCM's just because they're cheaper and they felt similar to me.
Just curious, what exactly is a "club team" at a university? I go to a Canadian school (UBC in Vancouver), and I'm pretty sure all we have is varisty hockey (where you better be DAMN good if you want to make the team) and rec teams (where obviously there are no tryouts at all). If this WVU club team is anything like UBC's varsity team, then you're being very ambitious indeed, I was the captain of my high school hockey team in Toronto and still would have absolutely no chance at all of making the UBC varisty team no matter how hard I worked on my game. The worst player on that team would still be fantastic, and miles ahead of me.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 12:05 AM
Galchenyuk27
Fire Bergevin

We have varsity here too, WVU doesn't have a varsity team though.

I guess I'm not sure about hockey, but club sports are seen as a big step down from varsity, at least in schools where there may be a sport that has varsity and club.

WVU has Club Division 1 and Divison 2. I had no intention of making the Division 1 team. My goal was to continue practicing and honing my skills to at least play one year on the Division 2 team, hopefully more. I may or may not attend this year's tryouts. I don't think I'm ready yet and it costs a little to tryout so I probably won't bother.

Old
07-28-2010, 02:40 AM
ponder

Quote:
We have varsity here too, WVU doesn't have a varsity team though.

I guess I'm not sure about hockey, but club sports are seen as a big step down from varsity, at least in schools where there may be a sport that has varsity and club.

WVU has Club Division 1 and Divison 2. I had no intention of making the Division 1 team. My goal was to continue practicing and honing my skills to at least play one year on the Division 2 team, hopefully more. I may or may not attend this year's tryouts. I don't think I'm ready yet and it costs a little to tryout so I probably won't bother.
Fair enough, sounds much more attainable than making a varsity team. Any idea what the average level of play is on WVU's div 2 club team?

Old
07-28-2010, 08:58 AM
Galchenyuk27
Fire Bergevin

I've heard mixed things.

I emailed the general manager of the WVU hockey program himself however, and he said "the skill of play on the Division II team ranges from kids who played throughout high school to kids who have only been playing for a couple of years."

I never doubted it will take poise, pride, and practice, but that is why it is my goal. I have four years to do it, after all.

I don't want to be a big star on the team, I'd be fine riding the bench. I just want to make the team, that's all.

Old
07-28-2010, 01:25 PM
ponder

Quote:
I've heard mixed things.

I emailed the general manager of the WVU hockey program himself however, and he said "the skill of play on the Division II team ranges from kids who played throughout high school to kids who have only been playing for a couple of years."

I never doubted it will take poise, pride, and practice, but that is why it is my goal. I have four years to do it, after all.

I don't want to be a big star on the team, I'd be fine riding the bench. I just want to make the team, that's all.
If that's the level of play then I'd think you should definitely be able to make the team with regular practice, really focusing on improving your weakness.

Old
07-28-2010, 04:52 PM
edgevolution
GO USA!

It costs money to get your skates molded? Here it's free if you buy a pair.

I don't know about in NJ, but here in MN you can lease skates at some shops. Pretty much you can lease a pair, new or used, for a year for a discount off the skates price. After the year is up, you can buy the skates out and pay the remaining cost, or you can get a new pair leased for a discount when you hand in the old ones. This works out especially good if your feet are still growing (which you said yours aren't) but also works out because you save money and you can get new ones if you wear them down or don't like them very much. Just an idea, don't know if it's as common there as it is here, though.

edgevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 05:00 PM
Galchenyuk27
Fire Bergevin

I've never even heard of that, but it sounds awesome.

It's free to get your skates molded if you buy them there, but the one pair I'm looking at would be from online.

Old
08-02-2010, 11:36 AM
Fleuryoutside29

I don't know for sure but I'm willing to guess WVU isn't good. Is it a club team? They are all about football and more recently basketball down there. I, however, never hear anything good about about WVU simply because I go to Pitt.

To actually respond to the thread though, how much are you willing to spend? Depending on how many different things you've tried and how serious you are, higher end skates might be the way to go. I've been told by coaches and other players that you shouldn't really settle for ok or mediocre skates. The other gear you might be able to get by with bargain stuff, but skates are a little different. I know MLX just released their skates to the public and are supposed to be awesome and solve pain and comfort issues, but they also cost $799. Depending on how many orders they've gotten, you still might be able to get a 15% discount though. Here's the website: http://www.mlxskates.com/

I hope your search for the right skates goes well and I suppose good luck with tryouts.

Fleuryoutside29 is offline   Reply With Quote