HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2009-2010 News Around the NHL thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-27-2010, 09:25 PM
  #851
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor
 
StrangeVision's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 14,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Mick View Post
So you like the match-up?
I don't have any problems with it. This game will have some of the best players in the world. It's not like I can't watch other teams on different nights. If I want to see Boston, I'll watch them, if I want to see the Rangers, I'll watch them, etc. The Winter Classic is all about marketing. It doesn't affect me one way or another who is playing. The only way it would affect me is if the Panthers were playing. Seeing as how they aren't and probably won't be anytime soon, whoever plays really is irrelevant to me. I'm going to enjoy it just the same.


Last edited by StrangeVision: 07-27-2010 at 09:58 PM.
StrangeVision is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 10:38 PM
  #852
JP Mick
Two Gallants
 
JP Mick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Homestead, FL
Posts: 5,031
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeVision View Post
I don't have any problems with it. This game will have some of the best players in the world. It's not like I can't watch other teams on different nights. If I want to see Boston, I'll watch them, if I want to see the Rangers, I'll watch them, etc. The Winter Classic is all about marketing. It doesn't affect me one way or another who is playing. The only way it would affect me is if the Panthers were playing. Seeing as how they aren't and probably won't be anytime soon, whoever plays really is irrelevant to me. I'm going to enjoy it just the same.
Really? I find it somewhat disappointing that out of all 30 NHL teams we have a repeating team appearance within a four year history. I would bet the Sharks are due for a classic appearance with 3 of the better players in the world just for an example. I'm sure the west coast teams are thinking WTF? Obviously the game can be held in any cold weather market regardless of what teams are involved as established by the first game. How about we make it a little more international since Canada is hockey mad and the NHL is a league of two nations. Maybe a battle of the two nations capitals and have the Sens play the Caps? That would be cool and way less lame. Hell even Vancouver vs Boston would be more interesting to me and at least we could watch a couple of ex- Panthers go at it! I guess what I'm saying is that for true hockey fans there is a lot more than Crosby vs Ovi and it's a little insulting to keep throwing that matchup in our faces.

JP Mick is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 10:48 PM
  #853
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor
 
StrangeVision's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 14,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Mick View Post
Really? I find it somewhat disappointing that out of all 30 NHL teams we have a repeating team appearance within a four year history. I would bet the Sharks are due for a classic appearance with 3 of the better players in the world just for an example. I'm sure the west coast teams are thinking WTF? Obviously the game can be held in any cold weather market regardless of what teams are involved as established by the first game. How about we make it a little more international since Canada is hockey mad and the NHL is a league of two nations. Maybe a battle of the two nations capitals and have the Sens play the Caps? That would be cool and way less lame. Hell even Vancouver vs Boston would be more interesting to me and at least we could watch a couple of ex- Panthers go at it! I guess what I'm saying is that for true hockey fans there is a lot more than Crosby vs Ovi and it's a little insulting to keep throwing that matchup in our faces.
Because the Winter Classic is a marketing event. It's also apparent that they do it on a somewhat regional basis so that fans of the opposing team can drive out to the game. It would be difficult to have a southern team like San Jose in it because it's simply too far from northern cities that it could be held in. Maybe it'll stop being a regional thing, but thus far, it has proven to be. And I doubt there will ever be a Canada/American game, it simply isn't the best move from a business perspective. Canada doesn't need any help in regards to NHL fans and viewers.

And again, the game isn't for "true hockey fans." It is a media event.

Also, Boston just played last year, you wouldn't mind seeing them twice in a row, but not he Penguins?

StrangeVision is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 11:50 PM
  #854
JP Mick
Two Gallants
 
JP Mick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Homestead, FL
Posts: 5,031
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeVision View Post
Because the Winter Classic is a marketing event. It's also apparent that they do it on a somewhat regional basis so that fans of the opposing team can drive out to the game. It would be difficult to have a southern team like San Jose in it because it's simply too far from northern cities that it could be held in. Maybe it'll stop being a regional thing, but thus far, it has proven to be. And I doubt there will ever be a Canada/American game, it simply isn't the best move from a business perspective. Canada doesn't need any help in regards to NHL fans and viewers.

And again, the game isn't for "true hockey fans." It is a media event.

Also, Boston just played last year, you wouldn't mind seeing them twice in a row, but not he Penguins?
Boston was just an example, I could have said Tampa. If Bettman really cared about the non-"traditional" markets he should step his short-a** out of the box and get a little more creative.
From a marketing point of view is it better to flog a traditional or more recent "cash-cow" market or put the spotlight on other teams that are better deserving? The NHL is trying to bring in new fans after all. It shouldn't be called a winter classic. It should be called "The top two favorite teams last season in the eastern conference because they have the superstars to make the stanley cup finals but got beaten by the underdog habs which barely made the eighth and last seed almost one season after they were forced to do a full team rebuild but got overshadowed even more by the flyers who clawed their way to the finals through absolute will, full team effort and physical play".Classic. Sounds catchy to me!


Last edited by JP Mick: 07-27-2010 at 11:59 PM.
JP Mick is offline  
Old
07-28-2010, 07:50 AM
  #855
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor
 
StrangeVision's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 14,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Mick View Post
Boston was just an example, I could have said Tampa. If Bettman really cared about the non-"traditional" markets he should step his short-a** out of the box and get a little more creative.
From a marketing point of view is it better to flog a traditional or more recent "cash-cow" market or put the spotlight on other teams that are better deserving? The NHL is trying to bring in new fans after all. It shouldn't be called a winter classic. It should be called "The top two favorite teams last season in the eastern conference because they have the superstars to make the stanley cup finals but got beaten by the underdog habs which barely made the eighth and last seed almost one season after they were forced to do a full team rebuild but got overshadowed even more by the flyers who clawed their way to the finals through absolute will, full team effort and physical play".Classic. Sounds catchy to me!
How do you even determine who is more deserving of a marketing ploy? How does it even affect you at all? If you want to watch any other team, watch their games. It's not rocket science.

The rest of that post is just nonsensical.

StrangeVision is offline  
Old
07-28-2010, 12:00 PM
  #856
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,206
vCash: 500
Not sure where else to put this, but man, look at the FA's out there next off-season. A good amount will be re-signed, I'm sure, but that's a good crop. I'm sure Tallon is aware of that and it's figuring into his plans.

__________________
So you're saying there's a chance!
Laus723 is offline  
Old
07-28-2010, 01:08 PM
  #857
RCGP
Go Panthers
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Calgary Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Mick View Post
Really? I find it somewhat disappointing that out of all 30 NHL teams we have a repeating team appearance within a four year history. I would bet the Sharks are due for a classic appearance with 3 of the better players in the world just for an example. I'm sure the west coast teams are thinking WTF? Obviously the game can be held in any cold weather market regardless of what teams are involved as established by the first game. How about we make it a little more international since Canada is hockey mad and the NHL is a league of two nations. Maybe a battle of the two nations capitals and have the Sens play the Caps? That would be cool and way less lame. Hell even Vancouver vs Boston would be more interesting to me and at least we could watch a couple of ex- Panthers go at it! I guess what I'm saying is that for true hockey fans there is a lot more than Crosby vs Ovi and it's a little insulting to keep throwing that matchup in our faces.
Canada has their own game. Montreal is playing Calgary outdoors in feb in McMahon Stadium. I'll be trying to get tickets if I can.

RCGP is offline  
Old
07-28-2010, 09:35 PM
  #858
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian
 
Ghoste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,270
vCash: 500
Washington acquired DJ King from St. Louis. I love King's fights. Very tough guy. The East should have some great match-ups and some very good fights this season. King, Orr, Boogaard, Boulton, Letourneau-Leblond, Shelley, Godard, etc.

Now we just need to go out and get McGrattan and have some fun this season!

-ghoste

Ghoste is offline  
Old
07-29-2010, 10:53 AM
  #859
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
Mogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 10,762
vCash: 814
Tampa sign Mathieau Roy. Now tell why we gave up Rust for this guy?

Mogo is online now  
Old
07-30-2010, 06:10 PM
  #860
Panthers607
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Panthers607's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,415
vCash: 500
Tampa also signed Dom Moore for 2 years.

Panthers607 is offline  
Old
07-30-2010, 06:29 PM
  #861
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,206
vCash: 500
There's a rumor that Chicago has signed Turco for 1 year at 1.5 per, meaning they don't like the Niemi outcome and they're going to walk away from him, if the Turco signing is true. Niemi has been quoted as really liking Tallon and one of the main reasons he ultimately signed in Chicago. Wonder if Tallon will look to bring him in, then move Vokoun. Just a thought, would like a battle between he and Markstrom, though.

Laus723 is offline  
Old
07-31-2010, 07:18 AM
  #862
Rattrick
Registered User
 
Rattrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 12,894
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
There's a rumor that Chicago has signed Turco for 1 year at 1.5 per, meaning they don't like the Niemi outcome and they're going to walk away from him, if the Turco signing is true. Niemi has been quoted as really liking Tallon and one of the main reasons he ultimately signed in Chicago. Wonder if Tallon will look to bring him in, then move Vokoun. Just a thought, would like a battle between he and Markstrom, though.
Chicago is stupid if they don't sign Niemi. Is GP their GM or something???

Rattrick is offline  
Old
07-31-2010, 12:18 PM
  #863
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor
 
StrangeVision's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 14,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
Chicago is stupid if they don't sign Niemi. Is GP their GM or something???
There's not much they can do if he is awarded a high cap hit.

StrangeVision is offline  
Old
07-31-2010, 03:02 PM
  #864
JP Mick
Two Gallants
 
JP Mick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Homestead, FL
Posts: 5,031
vCash: 500
He was awarded 2.75 mil per. They can't afford that unless they move someone else. Sharp?
If they bring in someone like Turco instead that would be a huge mistake IMO.

JP Mick is offline  
Old
08-02-2010, 11:15 AM
  #865
panthersfan751
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 1,659
vCash: 500
http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/

Niemi will become a UFA. Also, per the main board, the Hawks have signed Turco.

panthersfan751 is offline  
Old
08-02-2010, 11:27 AM
  #866
Panthers Rock
Moderator
Oh...Yeah ;)
 
Panthers Rock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Winter Springs, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 5,585
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersfan751 View Post
http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/

Niemi will become a UFA. Also, per the main board, the Hawks have signed Turco.
Sounds like no repeat to me, heh. I've never been a fan of Turco, found him to be overrated. Hawks should have found a way to keep him, you can live and die by your goalie. But I guess we'll see, maybe he's just a Cam Ward and maybe not.

__________________

Florida Panthers: 2014 NHL Entry Draft Lottery...Winners?
Panthers Rock is offline  
Old
08-02-2010, 11:33 AM
  #867
Rattrick
Registered User
 
Rattrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 12,894
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersfan751 View Post
http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/

Niemi will become a UFA. Also, per the main board, the Hawks have signed Turco.
Hawks are going to miss Tallon more than they'll ever know. **** like this will run them into the ground. Stupid, stupid move.

Rattrick is offline  
Old
08-02-2010, 11:37 AM
  #868
FlaPanthers7
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Country: France
Posts: 4,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersfan751 View Post
http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/

Niemi will become a UFA. Also, per the main board, the Hawks have signed Turco.
Wow, unreal.

FlaPanthers7 is offline  
Old
08-02-2010, 11:40 AM
  #869
Panthers607
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Panthers607's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
There's a rumor that Chicago has signed Turco for 1 year at 1.5 per, meaning they don't like the Niemi outcome and they're going to walk away from him, if the Turco signing is true. Niemi has been quoted as really liking Tallon and one of the main reasons he ultimately signed in Chicago. Wonder if Tallon will look to bring him in, then move Vokoun. Just a thought, would like a battle between he and Markstrom, though.
Can't stop thinking about this scenario...
Possibility?

Panthers607 is offline  
Old
08-02-2010, 11:59 AM
  #870
panthersfan751
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 1,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarFLA View Post
Can't stop thinking about this scenario...
Possibility?
If we sign him, we'd have to move Vokoun or Clemmensen before the season starts.

panthersfan751 is offline  
Old
08-02-2010, 12:21 PM
  #871
Panthers Rock
Moderator
Oh...Yeah ;)
 
Panthers Rock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Winter Springs, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 5,585
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersfan751 View Post
If we sign him, we'd have to move Vokoun or Clemmensen before the season starts.
I'd do whatever it took to lose Clemmensen

Panthers Rock is offline  
Old
08-02-2010, 12:46 PM
  #872
Panthers607
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Panthers607's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersfan751 View Post
If we sign him, we'd have to move Vokoun or Clemmensen before the season starts.
Really?

Panthers607 is offline  
Old
08-02-2010, 12:51 PM
  #873
Gudbranson44
#44
 
Gudbranson44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Miami, Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 2,205
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarFLA View Post
Can't stop thinking about this scenario...
Possibility?
it doesnt make sense for him to sign with us though. he knows we're in tank mode this year, and if he'd sign with us we would have to part with vokoun and the return wouldnt be as good as it could be.. you never get enough value in the cap world when you're "forced" to part with a star player due to salary/space.

wouldnt mind niemi signing a 1 yr deal with some other team and then when vokoun is gone we can add him as a FA next year

Gudbranson44 is offline  
Old
08-02-2010, 01:46 PM
  #874
FlaPanthers7
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Country: France
Posts: 4,624
vCash: 500
Atlanta Thrashers have traded center Todd White to the New York Rangers for forwards Patrick Rissmiller and Donald Brashear.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/08/0...o-rangers.html

FlaPanthers7 is offline  
Old
08-02-2010, 02:58 PM
  #875
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,206
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarFLA View Post
Can't stop thinking about this scenario...
Possibility?
I think it really could be, and I'd really welcome it, tbh. Vokoun would have to be the one who's moved, though, Niemi will be looking for what he was awarded, if not a bit more. Still, there's a few teams who need a goalie, Philly being one of them. We'd need to snatch him up quick, then let the NHL know that Tvo's available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7 View Post
Atlanta Thrashers have traded center Todd White to the New York Rangers for forwards Patrick Rissmiller and Donald Brashear.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/08/0...o-rangers.html
Yeah, and Washington has DJ King. Wish we'd at least get Asham, although he'd lose against those two, it'd be better than what we have. Would like to see he and Asham play together, either on the same line, or would be two good bangers on two different lines.

Laus723 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:11 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.