HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kyle Chipchura WAS a good draft pick

Old
07-27-2010, 09:21 PM
tiredman

vCash: 500
He was not a terrible pick... but he's also not a good pick. If he keeps progressing, he could maybe develop into a 3rd liner...

I believe he can do it and become a regular player in the NHL. I also don't like the fact that we got rid of him for no reason...

But a good pick ? Nah. A good pick for me is a guy that gave you better results (or at least, at the same level) than you expected from him. He's an ok pick.

Last edited by tiredman: 07-27-2010 at 09:26 PM.
tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 10:02 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLPacman67 View Post

Oh hey, someone totally clueless.

Let me tell you about this place. It's called the Western conference. You can check out their games on TV.

Then you can come back and actually make comments that don't reek of ignorance.
roofle. ...

the reason I mentionned the term ''level of suckage'' is because I actually saw him play. You can disagree with my statement, but a -12 , 12pts , < 50% in fo , 12m/toi .... 4th liner is not , in my humble opinion , a great 1rst round pick

but sorry if reality hurts you that much ... there are people that can help you if the pain is still there.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 10:14 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

If he got to play with guys like Pyatt and Lapierre we would've had a very solid shutdown line for many years, instead he played with Stewart and Laraque and obviously he didn't look as good... he was a fourth liner but both those guys were not NHL caliber. Its nice to see him turn out well with another team but it does suck a bit as we could've definitely used his size and defensive skill in our bottom six, especially someone who is also not afraid to stick up for his teammates.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 10:20 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE HOFF View Post
roofle. ...

the reason I mentionned the term ''level of suckage'' is because I actually saw him play. You can disagree with my statement, but a -12 , 12pts , < 50% in fo , 12m/toi .... 4th liner is not , in my humble opinion , a great 1rst round pick

but sorry if reality hurts you that much ... there are people that can help you if the pain is still there.
I have an extremely hard time believing that, considering anyone who has seen him play in Anaheim will disagree with you.

Wether he was a first round pick or not is kind of irrelevant to determine if a players plays well or not. He either fills his role or he doesn't. He did a fantastic job in Anaheim playing on a defensive line. Can't say our bottom 6 is looking that strong right now, so he'd be a welcome addition.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 10:42 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
I have an extremely hard time believing that, considering anyone who has seen him play in Anaheim will disagree with you.

Wether he was a first round pick or not is kind of irrelevant to determine if a players plays well or not. He either fills his role or he doesn't. He did a fantastic job in Anaheim playing on a defensive line. Can't say our bottom 6 is looking that strong right now, so he'd be a welcome addition.
He would not bring any significant improvement over Pyatt, Lapierre, Moen, Eller, Boyd or probably White. Sorry. He might have been a favorite of many fans around here, he still wouldn't have any impact on the performance of this team, if say, he replaced Pyatt or White.

People who would take him back are all those who were high on him, and who for some reason, overvalue the guy.

The guy might be useful in the Western Conference, he still couldn't cut it on a team coached by Martin, where speed is a must.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 10:47 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
He would not bring any significant improvement over Pyatt, Lapierre, Moen, Eller, Boyd or probably White. Sorry. He might have been a favorite of many fans around here, he still wouldn't have any impact on the performance of this team, if say, he replaced Pyatt or White.

People who would take him back are all those who were high on him, and who for some reason, overvalue the guy.

The guy might be useful in the Western Conference, he still couldn't cut it on a team coached by Martin, where speed is a must.
He's the grittiest of the bunch. Already there, that's an improvement. He's probably the best puckhandler after Eller. Haven't seen much of Boyd, but I wouldn't be surprised if he'd be the best at controlling the puck along the boards.

So we'd improve in 3 areas (at least, IMO), but that doesn't matter? Whatever. Can't say I'm surprised of ridiculous opinions anymore. Even adding depth is important. He's a massive upgrade over Darche who got re-signed.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 10:47 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by markov` View Post
I remember back in that draft I absolutely wanted us to pick Meszaros. He's regressed over the last few years but he would've been a much better pick than Chipchura.

Me: 1, Trevor Timmins: 0
I wanted Mike Green that year, but **** happens. I would have wanted Bernier in 2003 over AKost, so who am I to judge lol.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 10:52 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:

which one of Eller, Lapierre, Pyatt, Moen or Boyd would he replace. That is actually a fairly strong bottom 6 if you ask me,a nd there is only really one spot open. Chipchura would not be a significant upgrade, or an upgrade at all over somebody like White, Darche or Trotter. The other 5 are all significantly better than chipchura that it isn't even worth discussing.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 12:25 AM
Habs13

If he had never damaged his tendon, he would have still been with the Habs, IMO. That injury really set him back.

I liked Chipchura then and still do now... but whatever...

EDIT: He scored his first NHL goal on my birthday while I was at the game, hehe.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 03:06 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
He can easily become the big shutdown 3rd line center he was projected to become. He isn't 'flashy' but he'll be in the NHL a lot longer than most Habs fans think...he's certainly not a bust.
I don't share the same view of his upside. The problem is still lack of speed. He KNOWS where he has to be on the ice at an particular moment, but he can't always get there in time. He has to cheat. If he forechecks, forget about him primarily helping in his own zone because he will be last man back. If he plays far down low in his own zone to help the D, and his team recovers the puck, forget about him joining the rush, you might as well have a defenceman do it and hope Kyle can cover for the D-man instead. Other than empty-net points, Chipchura will not amount to much on the scorecard unless he sacrifices his defensive presence, which is his more instinctive talent.

Because of his unfortunate limitations, I think Chips' upside is limited to better-than-average 4th liner, and not top shutdown 3rd liner. There are only so many minutes you can play a guy who is often caught from behind between his own blueline and the redline if he carries the puck up ice.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 05:33 AM
marchabsfan

good or not, we dont care.

marchabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 06:41 AM
LeMAD

The guy is massively ovverated in here. Chipchura is not good enough to have a career as a 4th liner in the NHL. Let alone a 3rd liner, not even a bad one. He is not good at anything except not hurting your team when he's on the ice and he can fight. But nowadays in the NHL you have to bring more to the table to justify your place on the roster.

Maybe he could have been a decent 3rd line player if he didn't have trouble with injuries. But he still was a bad pick.

Is Timmins great? No. Is he awful? No. But one thing's for sure, you can't judge him on one pick.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 07:16 AM
Hank Scorpio

Anyone ever see Friday Night Lights? His situation and what happened to the captain in that movie are very comparable in my opinion. A great player at one level that for one reason or another just didn't pan out in the pro's. I wish him all the best though, I was a fan of his when we drafted him wouldn't mind seeing him attain some level of success at the NHL level at some point.

Hank Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 07:26 AM
CanadienErrant*

Jason Ward was a "great" draft pick too...

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 08:25 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
The guy is massively ovverated in here. Chipchura is not good enough to have a career as a 4th liner in the NHL. Let alone a 3rd liner, not even a bad one. He is not good at anything except not hurting your team when he's on the ice and he can fight. But nowadays in the NHL you have to bring more to the table to justify your place on the roster.

Maybe he could have been a decent 3rd line player if he didn't have trouble with injuries. But he still was a bad pick.

Is Timmins great? No. Is he awful? No. But one thing's for sure, you can't judge him on one pick.
I guess the Ducks disagree with you.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 08:38 AM
habfan1968

MTL C 76 7 7 14 -14 Lapierre -

MTL C 19 0 0 0 -10 Chipchura
ANA C 55 6 6 12 -2

How is Lapierre a better bottom six guy than Chipchura?
one poster says Lapierre is clearly better, sorry but I take Chipchura on my team before Lapierre any day of the week. As far as his speed goes, it is sure to improve.

habfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 10:57 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

The speed is an issue, we've always known that, even before the injury. But the point is, his anticipation and hockey sense are well above average, so it is just enough to compensate. If he had the speed, and maybe a shot of some sort, we harken back to the draft day dreams of Linden/Muller comparisons. But that's looooong gone from the radar. A very solid 3rd liner is still my expectation. Not the kinds of 3rd liners we have right now - although some of them are young and improving too, we hope - but the kind of guy a team goes after with a $2M contract in his prime, like Halpern or Malhotra on their respective latest deals (different style, but similar impact, similarly sought after). Of course, he's not there yet either. But I expect him to get there in his career.

Can't wait to see how this turns out, either way. We'll have this thread recurring for a decade. Great to be a Habs fan!

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 11:19 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchabsfan View Post
good or not, we dont care.
Yeah! Guillaume Latendresse neither!

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 11:19 AM
Talentless Practise*

None of us Ducks fans knew much of anything about him and the reaction to the trade was uniformally "meh". But he really was a pleasant surprise. He can play all 3 forward positions, can play 3rd line shutdown role or a 4th line energy role. Plays with a lot of grit, defends teammates and is a very entertaining fighter, willing to take one to give one. He's also just 24 and doesn't have a lot of NHL experience so we're hoping he can improve a bit still making him a staple on our bottom-6 for a while.

Though it is a lot easier to be satisfied with the guy when you get him for a 4th instead of drafting him in the 1st.

Talentless Practise* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 11:26 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostly Clueless View Post
None of us Ducks fans knew much of anything about him and the reaction to the trade was uniformally "meh". But he really was a pleasant surprise. He can play all 3 forward positions, can play 3rd line shutdown role or a 4th line energy role. Plays with a lot of grit, defends teammates and is a very entertaining fighter, willing to take one to give one. He's also just 24 and doesn't have a lot of NHL experience so we're hoping he can improve a bit still making him a staple on our bottom-6 for a while.

Though it is a lot easier to be satisfied with the guy when you get him for a 4th instead of drafting him in the 1st.
He was one of the top defensive centers in the AHL but struggled in the NHL with the Habs, became hated by many after a couple bad games (to which it much of it wasn't even his fault but they see a -3 and out comes the rabble rabble rabble)

I think the ducks got a steal, we developed him for you and get little return, the ducks take little risk in what could be a very good return, even if he's nothing more then an average 4th liner, you still get a player that can step in right away and all it cost was a 4th rounder.

I didn't want the Habs to draft Chipchura, but he grew on me with each season in Hamilton as he does all the little things right. I hated the trade then and still do.

Old
07-28-2010, 11:28 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
He was one of the top defensive centers in the AHL but struggled in the NHL with the Habs, became hated by many after a couple bad games (to which it much of it wasn't even his fault but they see a -3 and out comes the rabble rabble rabble)

I think the ducks got a steal, we developed him for you and get little return, the ducks take little risk in what could be a very good return, even if he's nothing more then an average 4th liner, you still get a player that can step in right away and all it cost was a 4th rounder.

I didn't want the Habs to draft Chipchura, but he grew on me with each season in Hamilton as he does all the little things right. I hated the trade then and still do.
So do I. One of the things I didn't agree with this year. Sigh. Really liked Chipchura, the whole situation shows how ignorant and impatient habs fans are.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 11:33 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
So do I. One of the things I didn't agree with this year. Sigh. Really liked Chipchura, the whole situation shows how ignorant and impatient habs fans are.
I was surprised by the move, but same for the Latendresse trade. I thought we would end up on the losing end of both, but I actually liked the Gomez trade then and now.

Old
07-28-2010, 11:52 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

People forget that Chips was pretty solid in his first appearance in the NHL for a span of 35-something games.

His development hit like a fork in the rug. That kinda stuff happens. It's out of the organization's hand.

I mean, was Cherepanov a bad pick?

Career changing injuries do happen when players are young, and that can take a toll on their development.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 11:59 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Same here. I think he's the kind of guy we don't have enough of on the team.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 12:10 PM
Boulette Cannon

Letting Chipchura go was a mistake IMO. His injury did set him back, but he's coming around to his old self.

Boulette Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote