HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New York Rangers lineup thread

Old
07-27-2010, 02:04 PM
Richter35

vCash: 500
dubi-christensen-gaborik
frolov-anisimov-callahan
prospal-drury-MZA
avery-boyle-prust
boogard-byers

staal-roszival
delzotto-girardi
eminger-gilroy

hank
biron

That third pairing kinda sucks so maybe mcdonagh makes the team and bumps one of those guys. Also, I'd honestly prefer not to have boyle on the team. If captain america struggles put him as the 4th line pivot and move byers/boogie into the lineup. I also want to put some fire under avery's ass to perform, he's the ideal 3rd line winger with the pestilence that we need. Torts had him under too much of a leash if he acts like himself he can move up the pecking order.

Richter35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 02:16 PM
Tony D63
Tortsless Rangers

2010-2011 - Starting Lineup

Frolov-Anisimov-Gaborik
Prospal-Dubinsky-MZA
Avery-Christensen/Drury-Callahan
Boogard-Boyle-Prust

Staal-Roszival
Del Zotto-Girardi
Eminger-McD

Lundqvist
Biron

This team can make the playoffs. We added alot of depth, size and grit this off-season and depth is very important. Thats why the Capitals didnt go far, because they lack depth.

If you put AA on the first line with Frolov and Gaborik, that line will explode.

Tony D63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 02:55 PM
LyNX27

Problem with Rangers forwards are...

-Too many that hover around the 2nd/3nd line area in terms of skill -Christensen is effective player but generally only shows true Chemistry with Gaborik on his line.
-We need youth to continue to grow (Dubinsky, Callahan, Anisimov, MZA)
-Space for young players to come in and find out about the NHL (Generally through Injuries for a short stint)

Centers

Prospal : 1st/2nd line Center... No way around it.

Anisimov : 2/3rd line Center... Brass wants him to move up and show that offensive flare he has. Could potentially even find himself on the 1st line if there is an injury or he makes some REAL FIREWORKS with Gaborik.

Christensen
: 1st/Extra Forward... He has the skill, plays a good 2-way game, but if he doesn't show the chemistry with Gaborik he had late last season, and he doesn't catch on with Frolov, he looks to be the odd man out.

Drury : 2/3/4th line Center... He's not going to have an up year on the 3rd line but lets be honest, he's got the skill to fill in a shift but we all know he will actually be saved for the PK and will get trumped by youth and skill.

Boyle : 4th Line/Extra Forward... Probably the extra forward. Big guy, but doesn't use it, and can't get a spot based on skill alone.

Wingers

Gaborik : 1... No explanation necessary

Dubinsky : 1/2nd Line... Made transition from Center to winger pretty well and he's got the skill, but want to see the consistency... The spot is his to lose.

Frolov : 1/2 Line... I see him potentially on the 2nd line because the brass would rather have one of their own as opposed to a stop gap gain the experience, and I'm sure having him on a lower line with be a real pain for teams who lack depth.

Callahan : 1/2/3 Line... If only he had a little more skill and a little less checking ability we would probably all have him right up there with Dubinsky, but as it stands his slight lack of scoring puts him under a pretty skilled totem-pole of Gaborik, Frolov, Dubinsky. Also is potentially defending his spot from new acquisition... Mats Zuccarello-Aasen

Zuccarello-Aasen : 1/2nd Line/Hartford... A lot of us know he has the skill from international and Olympic play but wonder how it will transition long term to the NHL. This is the wild-card, and many have mentioned (Rightfully so) that if he doesn't make the top 2 lines for the Rangers his time might better be spent in Hartford with top 6 minutes...

Avery : 3/4th Line... A little bit of playmaking skill and a whole lotta pest... We need him, but it's nice to see that we no longer will rely on him to step into the top 2 lines so often.

Prust : 3/4th Line... Rugged winger that we all grew to love in the trade with Calgary. Showed offensive flair with Anisimov but he should be part of a true energy/"Bag em' and Tag em'" line if he finds himself with Boogard/Avery.

Boogaard : 4th/Extra Forward... His skillset is known, we need him, but we don't need him to be on the ice every night. Biggest Baddest Mofo in the league.

Last edited by LyNX27: 07-27-2010 at 03:08 PM.
LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 05:00 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaborik Scores View Post
2010-2011 - Starting Lineup

Frolov-Anisimov-Gaborik
Prospal-Dubinsky-MZA
Avery-Christensen/Drury-Callahan
Boogard-Boyle-Prust

Staal-Roszival
Del Zotto-Girardi
Eminger-McD

Lundqvist
Biron
I can see then starting with these two are the top 6:

Dubi - Christensen - Gaborik
Frolov - Anisimov- MZA

We know the top line works and the second line will all complement each other pretty nicely - on paper at least.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 05:06 PM
Evgeny Oliker

I'm glad to see so many folks that want Anisimov on the first line with Gaborik and Frolov. I think that line has the potential to cycle, cycle, and cycle some more. Gaborik shoots, Frolov and Anisimov get rebounds and either score on them or continue the cycle! This line could be MAGIC!

My lines:
Frolov - Anisimov - Gaborik
MZA - Dubinsky - Callahan
Prospal - Drury - Avery
Boogaard - Christensen/Boyle - Prust

I know what everyone will complain about: Why is Prospal on the 3rd line? Look, 58 points is nice, but its mainly from playing with Gaborik. Also, he can be on the 2nd line, BUT, we need to finally create a 3rd line that can score consistently! I think Prospal-Drury-Avery can be a sweet 3rd line, maybe one of the best in the league!

Top 2 centers have size. You have 3 scoring lines. You also have a 4th line that can run people over if you go with Boogy, Boyle and Prust or give you some energy and offense if you throw Christensen in there instead of Boyle.

Also, Christensen is NOT a #1 Center...if Anisimov isn't , at least he has SIZE and is not afraid to use it.

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 05:59 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Forwards:
Prospal-Anisimov-Gaborik
Frolov-Dubi-MZA
Christ-Drury-Callahan
Boogeyman-Boyle-Prust

**** Avery

D corps:
MDZ-Staal
Rozy-Girardi
Gilroy-McD

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 06:03 PM
GaborikEqualsGod1995*

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
Forwards:
Prospal-Anisimov-Gaborik
Frolov-Dubi-MZA
Christ-Drury-Callahan
Boogeyman-Boyle-Prust

**** Avery

D corps:
MDZ-Staal
Rozy-Girardi
Gilroy-McD
Christensen on the 3rd line? Boogard/Boyle/Prust in favor of Avery? MDZ on the first pair?

GaborikEqualsGod1995* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 06:11 PM
CH2

Frolov-Christensen-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Anisimov-MZA
Prospal-Drury-Callahan
Boogs/Avery-Boyle/Avery-Prust

Staal-Rosival
MDZ-Girardi
Eminger-McD/Gilroy

I think Gilroy and/or Boyle are moved, whether it be via trade or demoting to the minors. Both of them are replaceable players.

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 06:25 PM
Kel Varnsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyIsDifferentHer View Post
Christensen on the 3rd line? Boogard/Boyle/Prust in favor of Avery? MDZ on the first pair?
I give the coach a lot of room to maneuver since he'll know things about the players and chemistry that I don't but I would go into things trying this first.

If Avery is going to be the guy he was last year, I want no part of him. He's not better than christ skill wise, so if he isn't agitating than he might as well not be out there. I don't see him on the fourth because he doesn't fight or intimidate like those other guys do. Boogaard and Prust should both be out there because they're in different weight classes.

Figure with MDZ, he's an offense guy, which we can use and Staal is a shutdown guy. Seems like it will make sense at some point although very likely won't be this year. It's the offseason so I'm hoping MDZ can take that on but yeah it was more just wishful thinking than real confidence that that will happen.

Biggest thing is I'm in favor of frolov on the second line to give us two legitimate scoring lines.

Old
07-27-2010, 06:27 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

MDZ and Staal play the same side on D. You will not see them play together at even strength.

There is a reason we havent seen D pairings like Girardi-Rozsival, MDZ-Staal, and so on.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 06:32 PM
Kel Varnsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
MDZ and Staal play the same side on D. You will not see them play together at even strength.

There is a reason we havent seen D pairings like Girardi-Rozsival, MDZ-Staal, and so on.
Fair enough, I wasn't even thinking positions just skill sets. Maybe at some point someone learns the other side, if not still stick guys together who complement each other. I don't love the shutdown pairs because then you end up with a bad defensive pair.

Old
07-27-2010, 11:38 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

I think there is an extra forward now. Not to mention a member of the pack who probably deserves a shot too.

I think it means Christensen is the odd man out. But if Boyle doesn't show up with a new attitude I wouldn't mind him being sent down.

I think most agree here with MZA. He is either going to play top 6 minutes with powerplay time or will go the AHL and get the minutes there.

I like the idea of Prospal on the 3rd line. Actually to have center Avery and Callahan is a decent line. I have been putting Anisimov there because I worry about the kid drowning which from the punishment he took last year is a concern. But hopefully I am wrong and he can flourish with more minutes. It would be great to see him take a huge step forward.

Anisimov with Grachev and Frolov would be a nice line

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 02:08 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Given our lineup, I think it is safe to say the lines won't stay the same for long. I think we start with something like...

Frolov-Christensen-Gaborik
Prospal-Drury-Callahan
Dubinsky-Anisimov-MZA
Boogaard/Avery/Boyle/Prust

but at some point I'm sure we'll see
Frolov-Prospal-Gaborik tried out

would like to see
Frolov-Anisimov-Gaborik at some point.

pretty much Frolov-any center-Gaborik we'll probably see over the course of the season.

The Drury-Callahan combo would benefit from a play maker like Prospal. Christensen could be paired with them at some point. Drury-Callahan +any LW

And then at some point they will split Frolov and Gaborik up and the line combos will again be all over the place.

Frolov-Anisimov-MZA could happen.
or a reunion of Dubinsky-Christensen-Gaborik combo. or the Dubinsky-Prospal-Gaborik incarnation as well.

Christensen getting bumped down also likely especially if we see Avery playing well.

Frolov-Dubinsky-Gaborik
Prospal-Anisimov-MZA
Avery-Drury-Callahan
Boogaard/Christensen/Boyle/Prust

heck, we might even get Boogaard-Anisimov-Prust, or Anisimov-Prust +1 maybe w/ Dubi or Frolov?

I somehow get the feeling that if you are a fan of consistent lines, this season is going to be a nightmare. With the Frolov signing and the presence of Boogaard as a probable frequent scratch / 13th forward, baring injury Byers, Weise, Grachev, Stepan won't be seeing much if any time up with the big club this season.

Last edited by n8: 07-28-2010 at 02:14 AM.
n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 02:19 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Prospal-EC-Gabby : These three showed good chemistry together. Gabby is obviously an elite scorer but he is more than capable of opening space for others and getting the puck to them; having said that, I can see gaborik being a huge reason why christensen breaks out this year and puts up career numbers with that great shot of his

Frolov-AA-MZA : You put Frolov with a fellow russian, and the two big bodies can go to work and wreak havoc. I think AA can learn a lot from frolov while also benefiting from having him on his wing. The other plus is with the two big bodies they can open up space for the smaller MZA and help make his transition to the nhl smoother.

Dubi-Drury-Cally : I love this as a 3rd line. ALL are grinders. They all play similar. All play tough and will go into corners and get scrappy goals. I like it alot. Good speed and hustle. This line would work great together imo and makes for a prototypical 3rd line.

Avery-Boyle-Prust : This is where it starts to get tricky because you just signed Boogard to a 4 year contract. Now I think you can insert Boogard when you need to for teams like philly. And you probably insert him in there for Prust though Prust as we know is more than willing to drop the gloves. Boogard is just a more intimidating force because of size and history. To me this is a poor man's 3rd line. Those 3 could make for a pesty 3rd line on other rosters in the nhl. Avery and Prust have the skating ability and snarl to motivate the team. Boyle adds the size.

Grachev : I know camp hasnt started and he has not proven anything yet but grachev is a guy who i feel can really push for a spot this year. the kid had a good prospects camp following the june draft and he said all the right things, sounding so determined to make the nhl roster. The only problem is I dont know where he fits in. It's just a dream but it'd be pretty sweet to add grachev and his 6'4" frame to AA and Frolov.

Defense:

I'm not going through pairings but my top 7 in this order: Staal-Rosie-MDZ-Girardi-McD-Gilroy-Eminger....Eminger is your veteran 7th defenseman to give McD games off during the year when he needs them. I'd also consider Sauer as a call up for a spot.

RGY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 03:17 AM
CheeseDogs

^^^^^^^^ Pretty Much Love It!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CheeseDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 03:25 AM
AJRanger

I have to agree with those that've put Frolov on the second line. I think he'd work well with AA - assuming he gets the second C spot - and it helps to keep the two best offensive players (Gabby, Frolov) apart.

The fact that there's so many possibilities can only be a good thing for the team, at least players shouldn't be shoehorned into positions they don't belong in.

AJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 06:41 AM
rc258667

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
Prospal-EC-Gabby : These three showed good chemistry together. Gabby is obviously an elite scorer but he is more than capable of opening space for others and getting the puck to them; having said that, I can see gaborik being a huge reason why christensen breaks out this year and puts up career numbers with that great shot of his

Frolov-AA-MZA : You put Frolov with a fellow russian, and the two big bodies can go to work and wreak havoc. I think AA can learn a lot from frolov while also benefiting from having him on his wing. The other plus is with the two big bodies they can open up space for the smaller MZA and help make his transition to the nhl smoother.

Dubi-Drury-Cally : I love this as a 3rd line. ALL are grinders. They all play similar. All play tough and will go into corners and get scrappy goals. I like it alot. Good speed and hustle. This line would work great together imo and makes for a prototypical 3rd line.

Avery-Boyle-Prust : This is where it starts to get tricky because you just signed Boogard to a 4 year contract. Now I think you can insert Boogard when you need to for teams like philly. And you probably insert him in there for Prust though Prust as we know is more than willing to drop the gloves. Boogard is just a more intimidating force because of size and history. To me this is a poor man's 3rd line. Those 3 could make for a pesty 3rd line on other rosters in the nhl. Avery and Prust have the skating ability and snarl to motivate the team. Boyle adds the size.

Grachev : I know camp hasnt started and he has not proven anything yet but grachev is a guy who i feel can really push for a spot this year. the kid had a good prospects camp following the june draft and he said all the right things, sounding so determined to make the nhl roster. The only problem is I dont know where he fits in. It's just a dream but it'd be pretty sweet to add grachev and his 6'4" frame to AA and Frolov.

Defense:

I'm not going through pairings but my top 7 in this order: Staal-Rosie-MDZ-Girardi-McD-Gilroy-Eminger....Eminger is your veteran 7th defenseman to give McD games off during the year when he needs them. I'd also consider Sauer as a call up for a spot.

Really like this line up.

rc258667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 09:45 AM
Ola

Depending on how big of a step AA have taken this summer, I want to see something like this:
Prospal-Christ-Gabby//Would this line be okey as a first line? If yes, perfect because we need to spread the talent.
Frolov-Dubinsky-MZA//If anyone is to take a big step this season, its Dubinsky. Its time for him to pick it up a notch and provide some consistency. I think this is a very good environment for him to do that. Frolov is big and tough to move along the boards. Dubinsky can cover a lot of ice. And MZA can open things up. I think it makes sense for all three players. MZA would definitely benefit from Frolovs size and Dubinskys energy.
Avery-Drury-Callahan//Energy line.
Prust-Anisimov-Boogard//Energy line II.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 10:36 AM
UAlbanySniper27

Prospal-Christensen-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Frolov
Avery-Drury-Callahan
Prust-Boyle-Boogard

Staal-Girardi
Rosival-DZ
Gilroy-Mitchell, or FA
Eminger

Henrik
Biron

MZA and Grachev could be possible call up during the yr due to injuries or scoring droughts, but make no mistake about neither one deserves or is assured a roster spot until they EARN it.

UAlbanySniper27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 10:59 AM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

What I want to see:

Dubinsky-Christensen-Gaborik
Frolov-Anisimov-MZA
Prospal-Drury-Callahan
Avery-Boyle-Prust
Boogaard (for division/conference games)

Roszival-Staal
Del Zotto-Girardi
Eminger-McDonaugh

What I expect to see:

Frolov-Anisimov-Dubinsky
Avery-Drury-Callahan
Boogard-Boyle-Prust

Roszival-Staal
Del Zotto-Girardi
Redden-Eminger

Btw, this line up is possible to fit under the cap y sending MZA and Gilroy to the minors. We'd have a total of 4.94 (without Staal being signed). It'd work assuming that Staal's cap hit is less than that.

The Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 10:59 AM
Tom Atkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAlbanySniper27 View Post
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Frolov
Avery-Drury-Callahan
Prust-Boyle-Boogard

Staal-Girardi
Rosival-DZ
Gilroy-Mitchell, or FA
Eminger

Henrik
Biron

MZA and Grachev could be possible call up during the yr due to injuries or scoring droughts, but make no mistake about neither one deserves or is assured a roster spot until they EARN it.
I agree with you on MZA and Grachev. I'm not sold on either till I see them preforming well on the NHL stage. Dont get me wrong, I'm really really excited about these players, but to many people are hyping them up around here, more MZA then anything and we have yet to see what they can really do.

Tom Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 11:31 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRanger View Post
I have to agree with those that've put Frolov on the second line. I think he'd work well with AA - assuming he gets the second C spot - and it helps to keep the two best offensive players (Gabby, Frolov) apart.

The fact that there's so many possibilities can only be a good thing for the team, at least players shouldn't be shoehorned into positions they don't belong in.
I agree 100% which is why i didnt give the slightest consideration to putting them together. You need to have your two most efficient scoring threats apart because you face a good team with a good shutdown line to stop frolov and gabby then you have no scoring behind that 1st line. At least if you split them up then opposing teams can only put there best defensive line against either gabby or frolov. And it most likely will be gabby which is great for Frolov WHICH is WHY AA should be on the 2nd line because with frolov next to him going up against a weaker defensive line AA will have a chance to score more this year and bring out his offensive game.

Ola, I have an extreme amount of respect for you because your posts are always insightful on this board, HOWEVER, I have to 100% disagree with you for putting AA on the 4th line. The kid has the talent and he is absolutely NOT a 4th liner and should absolutely NOT be playing with the weakest forwards on the team. Him being on the 4th line last year was because it was his rookie year and playing with bigger and tougher guys like shelley and prust made him feel comfortable. This year we have Frolov who has good size and I'm not saying frolov is out there to protect him because he is not. But with frolov next to him and also him being russian he should definitely feel comfortable. And on top of that AA needs to grow up and mature and roll with the punches. He cant be playing with 4th liners to feel comfortable.

Also Ola this isnt just you suggesting this, Avery should not be ANYWHERE but on the 4th line. Yeah he has speed and he's pesty but thats it. He cannot finish. He never has been a good scorer because he cant finish. That was said of him when he was first traded here from LA, great speed but cant finish. And it shows. He was awful last year and I know he was hurt but thats not the reason why he couldnt score. The way avery plays the game automatically makes him a 4th liner. Yeah he could be a 3rd liner on some teams, however, there are more talented and younger guys that are ahead of him on the depth chart. Even grachev is ahead of him and he very well may not make the team out of camp starting in hartford at the beginning of the year.

RGY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 11:32 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Opening night:

Dubinsky - Christensen - Gaborik
Frolov - Prospal - Callahan
Avery - Drury - MZA
Boogard/Boyle - AA - Prust

Staal - Rozsival
MDZ - Girardi
McD/Gilroy - Eminger

Hank
Biron

Mid-Season:
Frolov - Prospal - Gaborik
Dubinsky - EC - Callahan
Avery - Drury - MZA
Prust - AA - Weise
Boogard
Boyle to HFD.

Staal - Girardi
MDZ - Rozsival
McD/Gilroy - Eminger

Hank / Biron

Playoff Push:
Frolov - Prospal - Gaborik
Dubinsky - AA - MZA
Callahan - Drury - Weise
Prust - EC - Avery
Boogard

Staal - Rozsival
MDZ - Girardi
McD - Eminger/Gilroy

Hank / Biron

Of course that's all assuming nobody gets hurt for a long period of time.

Last edited by Trxjw: 07-28-2010 at 11:38 AM.
Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 12:05 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Depending on how big of a step AA have taken this summer, I want to see something like this:
Prospal-Christ-Gabby//Would this line be okey as a first line? If yes, perfect because we need to spread the talent.
Frolov-Dubinsky-MZA//If anyone is to take a big step this season, its Dubinsky. Its time for him to pick it up a notch and provide some consistency. I think this is a very good environment for him to do that. Frolov is big and tough to move along the boards. Dubinsky can cover a lot of ice. And MZA can open things up. I think it makes sense for all three players. MZA would definitely benefit from Frolovs size and Dubinskys energy.
Avery-Drury-Callahan//Energy line.
Prust-Anisimov-Boogard//Energy line II.

I don't mind this, but I have higher hopes for Anisimov this year. I feel like playing on the 4th line won't benefit his offensive development or give us a look as to his actual NHL offensive potential.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 12:20 PM
AJRanger

I'm curious to see what people think of having Drury on the 4th line.

Could Christensen-Dubinsky-Anisimov-Drury work?

AJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote