HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks Re-Sign F Mario Bliznak to 1-Year, $550,000 Deal (Two-Way)

Old
07-28-2010, 09:11 AM
Barney Gumble

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Dufresne View Post
but Hordi only saves 250,000 if replaced by a Min. contract player
Every little bit counts and why spend more for a guy who's going to be spending significant amounts of time in the pressbox? It's not like he's actually good enough to replace anybody in the lineup (not even good enough to be a regular 4th liner).

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 09:22 AM
billvanseattle

Hmmmmm - I disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsBeReality View Post
Uhhhhhhh, we'd have those ten games to lose. Certainly no bottom six guy has a spot reserved even if it is for ten games.

We'll put on the player that showed he's the best for the position during training camp and through those meaningless pre-season games.
We have a number of players who are guaranteed starting jobs in the bottom 6:

Oreskovich is close, and certainly Malhotra, Hansen and Hodgson are pretty much done. If Hodgson doesn't start in the NHL (barring injury) I suspect the rift will be unrepairable for the Canucks.

billvanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 09:45 AM
The Cowboy Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by billvanseattle View Post

Oreskovich is close, and certainly Malhotra, Hansen and Hodgson are pretty much done. If Hodgson doesn't start in the NHL (barring injury) I suspect the rift will be unrepairable for the Canucks.
Or if Hodgson doesn't earn a spot he'll have to go to Manitoba and continue working for it like every other prospect.

The Cowboy Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 10:31 AM
billvanseattle

hodgson

My point was that if he goes to Manitoba it means that:

1 - he hasn't put enough effort in and doesn't want to play here - Bad News
2 - he hasn't got the skill set that everyone thinks he does - Bad News
3 - His attitude isn't as professional as everyone says it is - Bad News

I do not suspect any of these to happen, I think this kid has handled himself well through a lot of crap, and is going to be close to a superstar for the Canucks, including a real shot at rookie of the year this year.

billvanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 10:59 AM
PRNuck

Quote:

I do not suspect any of these to happen, I think this kid has handled himself well through a lot of crap, and is going to be close to a superstar for the Canucks, including a real shot at rookie of the year this year.
Don't forget option 4 - Our coach is retarded.

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 11:01 AM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:

Oreskovich

Only Malholtra's spot is guaranteed in the bottom 6.

Oreskovich, ha!

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 11:02 AM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Don't forget option 4 - Our coach is retarded.
Or how about a level headed, reasonable option 4 to contrast the insanity of the first 3 options- He simply isn't NHL ready yet?-and needs some pro seasoning in the AHL?

Old
07-28-2010, 11:06 AM
Connecticut

Quote:

Or, none of the above. Rather, he's like 90% of other top prospects trying to crack a spot on deep playoff-bound team and will require some time in the AHL before he can make the jump to the NHL full time. Why is it that people can't get an ounce of perspective on Hodgson? He's a young player that's missed a year of hockey who looks to have a lot of the pieces to be a very solid player. It doesn't mean he's magic.

Connecticut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 11:15 AM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
Oreskovich

Only Malholtra's spot is guaranteed in the bottom 6.

Oreskovich, ha!
While I don't think Oreskovich is a lock, he'll have every opportunity to make the team. He's 6-3, likes to fight and be physical. He's chipped in at lower levels and his trajectory is almost impossible to track due to retireing for 2 seasons. He was solid for Florida, really gave them a spark and then tailed off. He ended up playing 50 games. We're just looking for 8-10 minutes, a spark and someone willing to drop the gloves.

I know the grass is always greener on the other side, but Oreskovich probably makes this team. Gillis apparently asked for him specifically, he'll have to really fail to miss-out on a spot. He has the potential to be a big part of our 4th line. A RHS that can also play C. We're looking for size, aggression and pedigree on the 4th line. What's not to like about a 6-3 kid, that went to Notre Dame, and has set a goal for the number of fights he wants to be in?

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 11:17 AM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
I know the grass is always greener on the other side, but Oreskovich probably makes this team. Gillis apparently asked for him specifically, he'll have to really fail to miss-out on a spot. He has the potential to be a big part of our 4th line. A RHS that can also play C. We're looking for size, aggression and pedigree on the 4th line. What's not to like about a 6-3 kid, that went to Notre Dame, and has set a goal for the number of fights he wants to be in?
Hopefully Gillis pulled up a trophy Halibut while trolling the bargain basement.

Old
07-28-2010, 11:17 AM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Doesn't Bliznak have a line of winter tires named after him?

Eddy Punch Clock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 11:24 AM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
Hopefully Gillis pulled up a trophy Halibut while trolling the bargain basement.
No doubt.

I say we just let the players decide at camp. Hopefully Gillis can bring in a vet or two on a try-out. Asham or other grinders without deals and let the best guys win.

Should be 4-5 spots up for grabs with names like Hodgson, Glass, Bolduc, Bliznak, Oreskovich, Shirokov, Schroeder, Hordichuk, Tambellini etc. all fighting for them. Add in a vet try-out or two, and we should be able to hash out a pretty solid bottom six.

Old
07-28-2010, 11:36 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut View Post
Or, none of the above. Rather, he's like 90% of other top prospects trying to crack a spot on deep playoff-bound team and will require some time in the AHL before he can make the jump to the NHL full time. Why is it that people can't get an ounce of perspective on Hodgson? He's a young player that's missed a year of hockey who looks to have a lot of the pieces to be a very solid player. It doesn't mean he's magic.
agreed. there are a ton of quality prospects that don't make their teams out of camp at 20. Especially if we're talking about contending teams - where they rarely will hand out a fulltime spot out of camp to a rookie player.

it almost sounds like some Canuck fans - like many other non-Canuck fans - are hoping for this kid to fail. If it's not back injury, it's attitude or character that he doesn't want to be here... or that he's overrated because he can't crack the lineup of a contending team as a 20YO.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 12:00 PM
LeftCoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
Hopefully they are Good Years!

LeftCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 12:43 PM
Andy Dufresne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Every little bit counts and why spend more for a guy who's going to be spending significant amounts of time in the pressbox? It's not like he's actually good enough to replace anybody in the lineup (not even good enough to be a regular 4th liner).
Of course. I agree, was only pointing out that waiving Hordichuk isn't really something you do for cap reasons alone. Alberts oth....is the most likely guy to be waived for cap reasons because he makes m\ore than double the min. salary.

I consider Hansen a bottom 6 lock as well as Manny. There's zero chance he clears waivers, probably Rypien too.

Andy Dufresne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 12:59 PM
Kickassguy

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Kickassguy Send a message via MSN to Kickassguy
Quote:

Kickassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 01:13 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickassguy View Post
What's he doing hanging out with a bunch of Penguins?

Eddy Punch Clock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 01:21 PM
givemeda411

Quote:
What's he doing hanging out with a bunch of Penguins?
Hey Eklund....Bliznak to Pens E4

givemeda411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 01:42 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Glad to see Bliznak re-signed. I think he'll get plenty of opportunities to crack the 4th line C position. Should be a lot of competition for that spot between Perreault, Bolduc, Rypien and Bliznak.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 02:07 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Glad to see Bliznak re-signed. I think he'll get plenty of opportunities to crack the 4th line C position. Should be a lot of competition for that spot between Perreault, Bolduc, Rypien and Bliznak.
and whoever wins that race will give this team a very poor 4th line center.

I really hope Gillis adds another good bottom-6 center... a 4th line centered by one of the above would be terrible. They are all fringe guys who are decent call-up choices to fill in for injury... in the case of Rypien, he's just poor at center and much better on the right wing.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 02:26 PM
Timmer44

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post

I really hope Gillis adds another good bottom-6 center... a 4th line centered by one of the above would be terrible. They are all fringe guys who are decent call-up choices to fill in for injury... in the case of Rypien, he's just poor at center and much better on the right wing.
Do we all think Malhotra will be a 3rd line centre? I could see him being a 4th line centre who pks and is out to take important draws. If Hodgson makes the team, he could be our third line centre flanked with Hansen plus a pickup in a Bieksa trade.

Timmer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 02:32 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post

Yeah... I hate how alot of guys around here seem to have the attitude that we can afford to have a weak 4th line if the top 3 lines are strong... and that by sheltering their minutes, the 5-8 minutes that they play won't amount to much anyways. It's ridiculous. For my money, having a strong 4th line center is every bit as important as having a strong 3rd line winger, especially considering that you wouldn't expect the guys surrounding him to be all that good.

Hell, I don't care if our 4th line wingers get WORSE, I just want a damn center who's reliable.

Then again, I think Bolduc has a shot of being that, but that's too unpredictable to bank on.

Shareefruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 02:39 PM
metric

As long as we move Bieksa then we just may be able to afford Madden, at least while Salo is on LTIR. I think O'Brien, Salo and Rome should be able to handle the load for the first bit of the season. When Salo is ready to return then we move one of SOB/Alberts, whichever is playing worse. Although I haven't crunched the numbers, may have to move SOB purely due to cap issues.

Last edited by metric: 07-28-2010 at 02:51 PM.
metric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 02:46 PM
bottomlesspop

I hope Bliznak is the next Chubarov.

bottomlesspop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 02:52 PM
Reign Nateo

I honestly think there is far too much concern over who our 4th line C is at this point. We have Kesler/Burrows/Malhotra/Hansen/Raymond etc. to kill penalties. We need a 4th line C to play 7-8 minutes a night and create some kind of spark. Facts are the 4th line C won't be needed much.

No point in giving up an asset or cap space for that. We did pretty well with Johnson diving all over the place trying to look useful out there, I think we can thrive with an in-house replacement.

Take a guy like Joel Perrault. Most around here know very little about him and assume he has no NHL experience. But alas a couple seasons ago he played 49 games at C for the Coyotes. He scored 7 goals and 10 assists in that time. Threw 42 hits and had solid TK away numbers. Which is basically Jannik Hansen's production last year. He also was solid on FOs clicking at about a 50% clip. He's been slowed by injuries and the Coyotes desire to go with all youngsters the following year. Gretzky saw enough to give him about 2 minutes a game PP time as well. He's got size and skill and has put up numbers wherever he's been.

He's no saviour, but he can handle 8 minutes a game I would think.

I think this is a case of too much time to analyze everything. Would it be nice to add another C to take that spot? Sure. Is it really worth it considering the in-house options we have, and the fact that both Hodgson and Malhotra are C's? I'm not so sure.

I say bring them all in and see who has progressed and wants it the most. There's always time to add a bottom line grinder during training camp or once the season is underway.