HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

1977 Montreal Canadiens vs. 1987 Edmonton Oilers

Old
07-27-2010, 04:52 PM
FASTHANDS*

vCash: 500
1977 Montreal Canadiens vs. 1987 Edmonton Oilers

'77 Montreal (60-8-12) vs '87 Edmonton (50-24-6).

With their amazing stats/numbers some say the 1977 Montreal Canadiens are the greatest team of all time. The 1987 Edmonton Oilers are generally considered their most "talented" team and maybe the most "talented" team of all-time

Montreal stormed through the regular season and won a second straight cup. Edmonton on a mission to prove their early exit from the previous season was a fluke, won their third cup in four years.

How does series go? Who wins and why?

FASTHANDS* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 05:09 PM
Big Phil

Montreal in 6 games. I honestly believe the best Oiler team from that dynasty was 1984. But either way the best Oiler team still has their hands full with the Habs.

For starters you'd think someone among the big "3" on defense would be able to slow down Gretzky to an extent. Then you have to worry about the explosive offense the Habs had as well. Lafleur, Shutt, Lemaire, P. Mahovlich, Cournoyer, then role players that would be vital in shutting down the Oilers like Gainey in the mix. Dryden vs. Fuhr is an interesting one. For starters Fuhr could easily hold his own save for save vs. Dryden, in fact he just might be better in that department since he saw a lot more rubber. The Habs firing 40 shots on him wouldn't bother him at all. As for Dryden I consider him to be below Fuhr on the "clutch" goalies list by a bit. Would he be used to a team like the Oilers? Would they be a lot like the Russians who he always had fits with his whole career? Maybe.

But honestly I don't think it would matter because the Habs were just more complete in front of him and if there was ever a team that played errorless hockey it was the 1977 Habs. I stand by it, Habs in 6 games

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 05:27 PM
FASTHANDS*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Montreal in 6 games. I honestly believe the best Oiler team from that dynasty was 1984. But either way the best Oiler team still has their hands full with the Habs.

For starters you'd think someone among the big "3" on defense would be able to slow down Gretzky to an extent. Then you have to worry about the explosive offense the Habs had as well. Lafleur, Shutt, Lemaire, P. Mahovlich, Cournoyer, then role players that would be vital in shutting down the Oilers like Gainey in the mix. Dryden vs. Fuhr is an interesting one. For starters Fuhr could easily hold his own save for save vs. Dryden, in fact he just might be better in that department since he saw a lot more rubber. The Habs firing 40 shots on him wouldn't bother him at all. As for Dryden I consider him to be below Fuhr on the "clutch" goalies list by a bit. Would he be used to a team like the Oilers? Would they be a lot like the Russians who he always had fits with his whole career? Maybe.

But honestly I don't think it would matter because the Habs were just more complete in front of him and if there was ever a team that played errorless hockey it was the 1977 Habs. I stand by it, Habs in 6 games
Intersting, I think the series would go seven. The '87 Oilers played good defense and still had the explosive offense. I think the Messier's, Anderson's would have to really come up big in game seven, same with Montreal's second line. I'm still trying to pick my winner.

Old
07-27-2010, 05:54 PM
Trottier
Very Random

The Habs best of their 70s dynasty teams ('77) as well as NYI's best dynasty team (1981-82) beat that Oilers team, IMO.

Pure conjecture, of course. But NYI should never be sold short in this discussion. NYI's dynasty teams could play every type of game you wanted - and beat you at it - better than any team I ever saw, with the lone exception of the Habs dynasty that preceded it.

I think that would come into play over the course of a best of seven. True, the Oilers by 1987 had learned to adjust to, and win, styles of games other than the wide open, pond-hockey variety they loved and dominated. However, they were never as comfortable at other brands of hockey as were Montreal and NYI.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 06:08 PM
Scott1980

I'd say 1977 Canadians. But watching Gretzky in that '81 first round matchup, WOW. The way he just decimated EVERYONE in his path!

Last edited by Scott1980: 07-27-2010 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Wrong Team
Scott1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 06:29 PM
FASTHANDS*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
The Habs best of their 70s dynasty teams ('77) as well as NYI's best dynasty team (1981-82) beat that Oilers team, IMO.

Pure conjecture, of course. But NYI should never be sold short in this discussion. NYI's dynasty teams could play every type of game you wanted - and beat you at it - better than any team I ever saw, with the lone exception of the Habs dynasty that preceded it.

I think that would come into play over the course of a best of seven. True, the Oilers by 1987 had learned to adjust to, and win, styles of games other than the wide open, pond-hockey variety they loved and dominated. However, they were never as comfortable at other brands of hockey as were Montreal and NYI.
I think the 87 and 88 Oilers editions could beat both Montreal and NYI best teams. The played a great game against Philly in the grind out game and could have won 7 or 8-1.

Old
07-27-2010, 06:30 PM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

Sorry, call it bias if you want but since the late 70's Habs teams were the greatest I ever saw, I have to go with the Habs in 5.

Gainey and Jarvis greatly reduces Gretzky's effectiveness while Bigbird, Savard and Lapointe deal with the rest.
Bowman destroys Sather, making him look like a peewee coach.
Dryden out plays Fuhr easily while Lafleur gives him a sunburn on the back of his neck.

We're talking about a team that only lost 8 freaking games and not only scored over 200 more goals then they allowed but scored more than the '87 Oilers did on top of it.
So not only are the Habs as good offensively but they are vastly and I mean VASTLY superior defenisvely.

No, you want a real match up to go against those Habs teams, you bring in the early 80's Ilses or the late 50's Habs.
Then and only then do we have a true contest.

Rhiessan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 06:58 PM
FASTHANDS*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiessan71 View Post
Sorry, call it bias if you want but since the late 70's Habs teams were the greatest I ever saw, I have to go with the Habs in 5.

Gainey and Jarvis greatly reduces Gretzky's effectiveness while Bigbird, Savard and Lapointe deal with the rest.
Bowman destroys Sather, making him look like a peewee coach.
Dryden out plays Fuhr easily while Lafleur gives him a sunburn on the back of his neck.

We're talking about a team that only lost 8 freaking games and not only scored over 200 more goals then they allowed but scored more than the '87 Oilers did on top of it.
So not only are the Habs as good offensively but they are vastly and I mean VASTLY superior defenisvely.

No, you want a real match up to go against those Habs teams, you bring in the early 80's Ilses or the late 50's Habs.
Then and only then do we have a true contest.
Habs in five, no waaaaaay. Islanders took them to six in '77, I think the Oilers can as well, and it will go seven and thats anyone's game

Old
07-27-2010, 07:14 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTHANDS View Post
I think the 87 and 88 Oilers editions could beat both Montreal and NYI best teams. The played a great game against Philly in the grind out game and could have won 7 or 8-1.
You did ask for opinions, no? That implied that you'd appreciate differing points of view.

This is one where perspectives are unlikely to be changed after multiple decades. Nor will the "answer" ever be attained.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 09:41 PM
CC Chiefs*

The 2002 DRW were pretty close to the top of the best in history.

CC Chiefs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 11:19 AM
FASTHANDS*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
You did ask for opinions, no? That implied that you'd appreciate differing points of view.

This is one where perspectives are unlikely to be changed after multiple decades. Nor will the "answer" ever be attained.
I did ask for opinions and I totally disagree with you. Then we have a debate about it (want to read why you feel that way). Thats how thing work on message boards in case you didn't know.

When matching up Edmonton's championship teams, I think each one is better then the Islanders. The Oilers didn't like to play grind out hockey, but the could adapt when they needed to.

Old
07-28-2010, 12:05 PM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
I did ask for opinions and I totally disagree with you. Then we have a debate about it (want to read why you feel that way). Thats how thing work on message boards in case you didn't know.

When matching up Edmonton's championship teams, I think each one is better then the Islanders. The Oilers didn't like to play grind out hockey, but the could adapt when they needed to.
I think that we already saw proof that the Isles and Oilers were pretty equally matched.

The Isles spanked the up and coming Oilers in 83 and in 84 the Oilers reached their peak and were able to dethrone the Isles who were in their 5th straight final and fading.

I'm not convinced the Oilers were ever substantially better than they were in 84 really.

BraveCanadian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 12:07 PM
FASTHANDS*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
I think that we already saw proof that the Isles and Oilers were pretty equally matched.

The Isles spanked the up and coming Oilers in 83 and in 84 the Oilers reached their peak and were able to dethrone the Isles who were in their 5th straight final and fading.

I'm not convinced the Oilers were ever substantially better than they were in 84 really.
1985 playoffs come to mind

I think the 1988 team could beat the '84 team.

Old
07-28-2010, 12:16 PM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
1985 playoffs come to mind

I think the 1988 team could beat the '84 team.
It is debatable but I don't think either team was substantially better.. like I said.

BraveCanadian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 12:27 PM
FASTHANDS*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
It is debatable but I don't think either team was substantially better.. like I said.
i see your point

Old
07-28-2010, 12:33 PM
Hawker14

Oilers in 7.

That Habs team was great, but so were the Oilers.

What a series it would be !!

Hawker14 is offline   Reply With Quote