HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kovalchuk Deal Rejected

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-28-2010, 01:51 PM
  #201
IrishSniper87
Registered User
 
IrishSniper87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Media, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Actually, I think that's a big problem for the NHL. Why?

1) You have concerns about those contracts, but no proof that actual cap circumvention plans (player not playing the finals years of the the contract is intended).

2) You have concerns about this contract, but no proof that actual cap circumvention plans exist (presumably, if they do then it's an easy ruling).

Why aren't you simply registering the Kovalchuk contract and investigating it until you have evidence like the others?

Ultimately their argument has to rest on something concrete to be really legitimate, no matter how "right" they are that the contract is BS.
Immediate reg flag on the fact the vet minimum in 2024 will likely not be under 600k due to inflation. I believe Kovalchuk would be signed for $585k in 2027.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 01:55 PM
  #202
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Immediate reg flag on the fact the vet minimum in 2024 will likely not be under 600k due to inflation. I believe Kovalchuk would be signed for $585k in 2027.
Yep, I think that's one solid argument they can make... the contract is below expected league minimum (obvious solution being to raise the contract above league minimum). However, from what I read right after apparently they want to argue that they've never approved a deal this long, or that takes a player to that age (both arguments attempting to address the "precedent" of the previously approved deals).

Clearly the biggest problem for the NHL before an arbitrator (other than the potential league minimum snafu) is that there's nothing "illegal" as spelled out by the CBA about this deal.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 02:06 PM
  #203
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Actually, I think that's a big problem for the NHL. Why?

1) You have concerns about those contracts, but no proof that actual cap circumvention plans (player not playing the finals years of the the contract is intended).

2) You have concerns about this contract, but no proof that actual cap circumvention plans exist (presumably, if they do then it's an easy ruling).

Why aren't you simply registering the Kovalchuk contract and investigating it until you have evidence like the others?

Ultimately their argument has to rest on something concrete to be really legitimate, no matter how "right" they are that the contract is BS.
I don't want to go over this whole thing with you again to be honest.

I'm tired of this whole Kovalchuk thing anyway. Can't believe it's getting so much attention on the main board.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 02:44 PM
  #204
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!
 
DeadPhish5858's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: the Shade
Country: United States
Posts: 13,477
vCash: 1448
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
I'm tired of this whole Kovalchuk thing anyway. Can't believe it's getting so much attention on the main board.
I agree with you there.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 03:54 PM
  #205
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
I agree with you there.
I disagree. No attention is bad attention, and considering people consider the NHL the special olympics league of the big 4, I'm for it.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 05:34 PM
  #206
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW
 
ShawnTHW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 8,952
vCash: 500
Not so fast NHL........


http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl-258875

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.