HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

1984 Oilers Vs. 2003 Devils

Old
07-28-2010, 11:20 AM
IggyFan12

vCash: 500
1984 Oilers Vs. 2003 Devils

I am very new here so I dont know if this has been posted yet so if it has I apologize. Who would win in a 7 game series between two teams who couldnt be more opposite. On one side you have the 1984 Oilers who scored an incredable 446 goals led by some of the greatest offensive talent the NHL has ever seen. On the other side you have the 2003 Devils who won the Stanely Cup with some of the best defensive talent the NHL has ever seen only allowing 166 goals the entire season. This would be an all out war and would feature the likes of Gretzky, Messier, Kurri, Anderson, Fuhr, Coffey against a Devils team which features Elias, Langenbrunner, Gomez, Nieuwendyk, Rafalski, Niedermayer, Stevens, and Brodeur. I think that in a 7 game series the Oilers would win in 7 , and it would be very tight games. What do you guys think?

IggyFan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 12:11 PM
FASTHANDS*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IggyFan12 View Post
I am very new here so I dont know if this has been posted yet so if it has I apologize. Who would win in a 7 game series between two teams who couldnt be more opposite. On one side you have the 1984 Oilers who scored an incredable 446 goals led by some of the greatest offensive talent the NHL has ever seen. On the other side you have the 2003 Devils who won the Stanely Cup with some of the best defensive talent the NHL has ever seen only allowing 166 goals the entire season. This would be an all out war and would feature the likes of Gretzky, Messier, Kurri, Anderson, Fuhr, Coffey against a Devils team which features Elias, Langenbrunner, Gomez, Nieuwendyk, Rafalski, Niedermayer, Stevens, and Brodeur. I think that in a 7 game series the Oilers would win in 7 , and it would be very tight games. What do you guys think?
Oilers in 6 or 7. A team like Jersey kind of reminds me of a pesky 80's Calgary team. Oilers explode in game 7 to win 8-3

FASTHANDS* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 12:24 PM
BraveCanadian

The Oilers would roll right over them.

The array of talent on that Oilers team just overwhelms the Devils team. And their style of play is the very antithesis of the Devils.

Every name you listed for the Oilers is in the hall of fame.

The Devils have 3 sure things in their lineup and a couple of borderliners there but... not enough by a long shot.

The Oilers depth is better as well, I think.

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 12:26 PM
FASTHANDS*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
The Oilers would roll right over them.

The array of talent on that Oilers team just overwhelms the Devils team. And their style of play is the very antithesis of the Devils.

Every name you listed for the Oilers is in the hall of fame.

The Devils have 3 sure things in their lineup and a couple of borderliners there but... not enough by a long shot.

The Oilers depth is better as well, I think.
1986-Edmonton-Calgary

Old
07-28-2010, 12:31 PM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTHANDS View Post
1986-Edmonton-Calgary
Come again? What does 86 Calgary have to do with 84 Oilers vs. 2003 Devils???

Old
07-28-2010, 12:42 PM
BraveCanadian

Oh and before someone brings up Stevens..

Can only imagine what he would have done to him 10 years before that.

DISCLAIMER - I dislike Stevens.

Old
07-28-2010, 12:51 PM
Brodeur

The 2000 Devils would have been a more interesting matchup. Stevens, Niedermayer, Rafalski, Brodeur are still there. But New Jersey had some more firepower up front with Arnott, Mogilny, Holik. A lot of folks forget that the Devils led the league in GF in 2000-01 (295 GF, 195 GA).

On paper, I still feel that the 2003 Devils was one of the weaker SC champs of the decade.

The 2000 Devils would have had more depth to match offensive chances. They would have had two shutdown centers in Holik and Madden which would be immensely important if you're dealing with Gretzky and Messier in a hypothetical situation.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 01:05 PM
IggyFan12

The 2003 Devils had such a dedication to defence they allowed a hair more than 2 goals a game for the entire season which is an amazing feat. Also Brodeur had one of his best seasons of his HOF career with a GAA of 2.02 and 41 wins as well as 3 shutouts in the finals. Would Gretzky and co. be able to play their fire wagon hockey against the tough New Jersey D? I dont think the Oilers would be able to explode offensively in this series like many people expect.

Old
07-28-2010, 01:13 PM
TheDevilMadeMe

1984 Oilers easily.

IMO, the 2003 Devils were the worst of their Cup winning teams, full of aging veterans who were past their primes, looking for one more go-around. Their best line in the playoffs was Pandolfo-Madden-Langenbrunner. Scott Stevens was clearly not as good as he used to be. Niedermayer and Brodeur were great, and they had a great team concept, but not one of the strongest Cup winners.

The 2000 Devils (and 2001 team that lost in the finals) were much stronger.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 01:37 PM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
1984 Oilers easily.

IMO, the 2003 Devils were the worst of their Cup winning teams, full of aging veterans who were past their primes, looking for one more go-around. Their best line in the playoffs was Pandolfo-Madden-Langenbrunner. Scott Stevens was clearly not as good as he used to be. Niedermayer and Brodeur were great, and they had a great team concept, but not one of the strongest Cup winners.

The 2000 Devils (and 2001 team that lost in the finals) were much stronger.
Well put.

If your best line in the playoffs is Pandolfo-Madden-Langenbrunner and you are facing off against Tikkanen-Gretzky-Kurri... you've got problems lol.

Especially when the next line to hop over the boards features Messier and Anderson.

I also think the 2000 or 2001 Devils would have been a better matchup for the all encompassing defense vs. the all out offense goliaths. I still think the Oilers would beat those teams but it would be a lot harder.

Old
07-28-2010, 03:58 PM
FASTHANDS*

Quote:
Well put.

If your best line in the playoffs is Pandolfo-Madden-Langenbrunner and you are facing off against Tikkanen-Gretzky-Kurri... you've got problems lol.

Especially when the next line to hop over the boards features Messier and Anderson.

I also think the 2000 or 2001 Devils would have been a better matchup for the all encompassing defense vs. the all out offense goliaths. I still think the Oilers would beat those teams but it would be a lot harder.
Only problem is Tikkanen wasn't on the 1984 Edmonton Oilers

Old
07-28-2010, 04:01 PM
FASTHANDS*

Quote:
Come again? What does 86 Calgary have to do with 84 Oilers vs. 2003 Devils???
Im joking obviously. Same with the series going 6 or 7, just wanted to get some opinions and debate. Oilers in 4, as someone mentioned, the 03 devils are running into a fresh groupe determined to with the Cup while they are an aging group

Old
07-28-2010, 04:01 PM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTHANDS View Post
Only problem is Tikkanen wasn't on the 1984 Edmonton Oilers

There goes the ole memory again.

You're right!

Old
07-28-2010, 04:34 PM
IggyFan12

Is there any way that the Devils can slow down the Oil attack and win the series? Or at least make it close. The 03 Devils had a very poor offence but one they were one of the greatest teams in terms of defence in history. On the flip side the 84 Oilers gave up over 300 goals that year.

Old
07-28-2010, 06:13 PM
Big Phil

Every way you spin it the Oilers win the series. Fuhr is a better clutch goalie than Brodeur. Gretzky, Messier, Kurri, Coffey and probably even Anderson are better offensively than anyone on the 2003 Devils. The Devils would have to pray that their defense saves the day, but since they would never change their style the Oilers would adapt and maybe after losing the first game would come back with 4 straight.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote