HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tampa Blog Ranks Eastern Conference

Old
07-28-2010, 09:59 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobolt7 View Post
Doesn't everyone in the world of hockey put out numbered weekly power rankings? Are they taken as playoff predictions that change every week?

Its just seems more and more that people clicked on the link, looked at the numbers and pictures, and reacted.

It is a fair criticism that I should not have used a couple of those phrases though, looking back at it now, thats my fault for causing some confusion.
Well, first of all, Power Rankings pretty much are playoff predictions. Normally the best eight teams from each conference make the playoffs. There are rare occasions, but usually the best teams make it while the tweeners fight for the last 1-2 spots.

Second of all, Power Rankings, particularly in the offseason where there isn't momentum nor injuries to worry about, are based on talent. So if these are actually Power Rankings, they're even LESS credible.

If they were predictions, I'd just think you're predicting Richards, Carter, Giroux, Pronger, and Timonen to go down with serious season-long injuries. A little insane, but I've seen far crazier.

Now that I understand clearly that you were ranking them as power rankings based on talent, you just blew my mind even more.

Absolutely incredible...

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 10:36 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

The Flyers that low and the Isles quite that high are my issues personally. Any night the Flyers goaltending is at least average, they're most likely winning that game. The Isles could stay out of the basement, but comparing that roster to the Leafs' roster and elevating them above Toronto is nutty to me.

Lesser niggles include: If I had to choose I'd say the Bolts don't make the playoffs but the last 2-3 spots are usually a crap shoot so it's far from impossible. Also, as mentioned way before, I put the Caps #1 until further notice and fairly easily. That's not saying much but they're a great team (at least in the regular season) and they're probably the only team in the league that can just run you over offensively en route to a win.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 10:56 PM
The Doof Warrior

This is absolutely awful on so many levels. I honestly like our team's chances but I don't see us beating out Washington for number 1 again and Philly missing the playoffs that badly is a joke.

The Doof Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 06:51 AM
Kessick

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
The Flyers that low and the Isles quite that high are my issues personally. Any night the Flyers goaltending is at least average, they're most likely winning that game. The Isles could stay out of the basement, but comparing that roster to the Leafs' roster and elevating them above Toronto is nutty to me.
Yep. Every list is bound to be flawed, but I'm mostly surprised by the rankings of Philadelphia, NYI, and Tampa Bay being in 7th.

Some teams are rated way too highly, others too lowly. I'm glad you pointed out the Leafs because I didn't want to think I was inviting my own bias into it, so thank you.

I respect the Pens and think they have a great shot to win their division. It'll be tough, though. Philadelphia and NJ will be huge challengers, because the Flyers aren't an 11th placed team in terms of talent.

Kessick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 07:31 AM
Pick87your71Poison

Quote:
Originally Posted by regard View Post
Um.......what?
Where exactly did they all go?

And.......what?
Even with the loss of all thier offensive players thats still the deepest offense in the league?

Am I reading this wrong? lol
I think he skipped a few words. My guess was he meant "with the loss of Gagne, they still have ..."

Coudl be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it was intended to be along those lines.

Pick87your71Poison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 07:54 AM
Coach John McGuirk
ヽ(。_)ノ

1. Washington
2. Pittsburgh
3. Buffalo
4. New Jersey
5. Ottawa
6. Philadelphia
7. Boston
8. NY Rangers
9. Tampa Bay
10. Montreal
11. Carolina
12. Toronto
13. Atlanta
14. Florida
15. NY Islanders

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 09:50 AM
regard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick87your71Poison View Post
I think he skipped a few words. My guess was he meant "with the loss of Gagne, they still have ..."

Coudl be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it was intended to be along those lines.
Thank you sir, I knew I had to be missing something but couldnt decipher it.
For my part I was probably just antsy to get out of work lol

Id probably go:
1 Washington
2 Philly*
3 Boston
4 Pittsburgh*
5 Jersey*
6 Ottawa
7 Buffalo
8 Rangers
9 Montreal
10 Tampa Bay
11 Atlanta
12 Toronto
13 Carolina
14 Florida
15 Islanders

I think we will be entrenched in a division war with Jersey and Philly right to the end making for an exciting end of the year.
Buffalo falls lower because of lack of D and scoring depth.
Rangers have the edge on Montreal because of Goaltending.

regard is offline   Reply With Quote