HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

2010-2011 Florida Panthers Prospect Poll #11

View Poll Results: Who is the Panthers #11 Ranked Prospect?
Kenndal McArdle - LW [2005 - 20th Overall] 3 7.69%
Alexander Petrovic - D [2010 - 36th Overall] 15 38.46%
Drew Shore - C [2009 - 44th Overall] 5 12.82%
Alexander Salak - G [FA] 2 5.13%
Evgeni Dadonov - RW [2007 - 71st Overall] 13 33.33%
Marc Cheverie - G [2006 - 193rd Overall] 0 0%
Connor Brickley - C [2010 - 50th Overall] 0 0%
Garrett Wilson - LW [2009 - 107th Overall] 0 0%
Joonas Donskoi - RW [2010 - 99th Overall] 0 0%
AJ Jenks - LW [2008 - 100th Overall] 1 2.56%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-28-2010, 01:23 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

vCash: 500
Dadanov is being penalized for the 'Russian factor'.

Had he not insinuated that he might leave, his ranking would be higher.

angry_treefrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 01:23 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhislife View Post
I agree with Clint here. People seem to be very high on the new guys because they still have these high ceilings and we can project the heck out of them. In reality, if Howden ever gets to Dandanov's level....we would be more then satisfied. Dandanov, Ellerby, and Garrison, should all be ahead of Petrovic, McFarland, and Howden (and I have been saying this since like Poll #5.

The sure fire kids like Gubranson who the team basically needs to be counted on are obviously going to be high, but the other 2010 kids are still big ????
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
Of course they do. But right now the fact that they have such high future ceilings, coupled with their higher level of present talent makes them more of a sure thing than the guys down below. Even if they don't reach their peak potential, they're still closer to being NHL regulars than the guys I have lower on my list.
It's up to each person to predict how each prospect will develop. At this point, every one of these guys is a prospect with no guarantees. How close they are can be weighed into the decision or it cannot, that's up to the individual, that's the beauty of this poll.

I for one think Guds will not come in as a rookie and impress as much as some think. I think he will have a steep learning curve. Does that mean I would rank him above Grabner who I think is MORE ready for the NHL (aside from the fact that he's already played)? No -- because his upside in my mind is higher.

Just thinking out loud here.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 01:48 PM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
Gone with Petrovic since #5

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 02:03 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
Dadanov is being penalized for the 'Russian factor'.

Had he not insinuated that he might leave, his ranking would be higher.
Of course. But when various rumours suggest that unless he secures an NHL roster this fall, he will return to Traktor, then its difficult to rank him ahead of other prospects who would seem to have more definitive longelivity within the Panther system.

Talent wise, Dadonov is a very good prospect. But the true Russian factor ; Not getting them to come over, rather, keeping them over, has to be affect his ranking.

McArdle has two votes? lol thats a joke. Maybe at 15.

Voted Dadonov in mind. Haven't actually voted Dadonov, as that would involve moving the mouse to the top of the screen and clicking. So morally, Dadonov has one more vote.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 02:33 PM
flapanthersfan

Dadonov - add Timmins.

flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 03:52 PM
CanadianPantherFan

Petrovic; add Timmins.

CanadianPantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 04:19 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
I very nearly feel like a hypocrite, since I'm about to use the same line of reasoning used against me in the McFarland debates.

Anyway, McArdle is far more a sure thing for the Panthers than Dadonov. But only on the bottom two lines. Think a Greg Campbell type. I feel that that Dadonov's upside outweighs McArdle's certainty in this case, as Dadonov seems to be right behind McArdle in the certainty of making an impact in the NHL.

Think of it as a sliding scale of upside/certainty for prospects.
i wouldn't say he's right behind mcardle. mcardle's impact has already been felt on the big club during his callups this year. and he would've had more games under his belt and probably have been more secure in a spot for next year if not for the injuries. he's not going to be a top 6 guy in all likelihood but that doesn't mean he won't be an important contributor. (note that i'm not saying he will become one, only that he's already shown more at this level than dadonov). this could all change come camp, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Of course. But when various rumours suggest that unless he secures an NHL roster this fall, he will return to Traktor, then its difficult to rank him ahead of other prospects who would seem to have more definitive longelivity within the Panther system.

Talent wise, Dadonov is a very good prospect. But the true Russian factor ; Not getting them to come over, rather, keeping them over, has to be affect his ranking.

McArdle has two votes? lol thats a joke. Maybe at 15.

Voted Dadonov in mind. Haven't actually voted Dadonov, as that would involve moving the mouse to the top of the screen and clicking. So morally, Dadonov has one more vote.
i don't think it's a joke at all. is garrison a joke at 9? mcardle can contribute at the nhl level and has shown it. if dadonov doesn't hit very close to his potential, he will not be in the nhl. higher ceiling? for sure. but that's not the only thing we're factoring in here. is it?

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 04:35 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
i don't think it's a joke at all. is garrison a joke at 9? mcardle can contribute at the nhl level and has shown it. if dadonov doesn't hit very close to his potential, he will not be in the nhl. higher ceiling? for sure. but that's not the only thing we're factoring in here. is it?
I didn't vote for Garrison at #9.

McArdle at #11 is also poor. McArdle was drafted 5 years ago. In those 5 years, he has never offensively developed. At this point in his career McArdle can't even produce offensively in the AHL. He can't truely be considered a top six forward on an AHL club at this point in time. Guys like Kreps and Meyer were more productive than McArdle in the AHL and in Kreps case although he made the NHL for a period of time, its difficult for guys like McArdle and Kreps to remain in the NHL when turnover at their roles is extremely high.

McArdle brings no potential offensive game to the NHL. Nothing what so ever. His entire package orientates itself around being a fast aggressive forechecker occupying the 4th line. If McArdle can carve out a role for himself in the NHL ; which is possible, his role is still very very easily replaced. Your talking about as minimal an NHL role as it can get outside of being a goon.

Sure, if this poll was purely based on the likelihood of making the NHL in ANY capacity, McArdle should be ranked fairly highly. But this poll has to incorporate potential - and when McArdle's potential is so insiginificant, i am always going to rank guys who have more potential over him ; and guys like Dadonov possess much more impact potential.

In the case of Dadonov, he offers an enticing offensive package which lends itself to being a top six forward. He has various obstacles. NA game, physicality and culture. But atleats he offers something which is quite rare.

So vote for McArdle if you will. But it seems strange when all i ever see from Panther fans is the bemoaning of a lack of GOOD NHL players ; yet some actually vote for McArdle to be near our top ten prospect list?

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 07:50 PM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

vCash: 120
Dadonov add Timmins

JP Mick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 08:21 PM
Panthers_Fan

Went Dadonov at 9 and went petrovic at 10 because I thought he had a better shot at beating Ellerby. Back to Dadonov for poll 11, making the poll currently 12 v 12

Panthers_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 11:46 PM
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish

Petrovic add Hyman

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 11:01 AM
TimHortons
Gud Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
We are in agreement here 0. We're both aware other prospect's offensive game/creativity trumps McArdle's. That's not the only factor of consideration for this poll. If we were ranking prospects strictly based upon offensive contributions/ceilings, McArdle would be hard pressed to even make it onto this list. The rankings should be based upon what prospect will project to have the greatest impact to the wins/losses of the team and the feasibility of them achieving those expectations. Similar to what any scout's objective should be.

To call it a joke to vote McArdle here is simply shortsighted/narrow-minded. Try thinking why we voted a given way before throwing out disparaging remarks. His impact isn't measure in offensive statistics. McArdle brings speed and tenacity/physicality. In his brief stint with the Panthers, he capably demonstrated both of these qualities. Sure he offensive game in the Dub hasn't translated to Rochester (or FLA for that matter) but he adds value on the ice through a tangible impact in our aggressive fore-checking system. He is capable of being a high end 3rd liner.

TimHortons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 11:12 AM
Acadmus

This thread is for the prospect poll - if you care to debate the merits of the prospects themselves, there is a thread stickied for that.