HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Tips for rehabbing a broken leg

Old
07-29-2010, 01:18 PM
AvDog

vCash: 500
Tips for rehabbing a broken leg

So Sunday night I ended my first season of hockey with a spectacularly broken leg. I broke my right tibia in two and broke the fibula in 2 places. I had surgery on it Monday morning to get a rod put through my tibia with screws holding it in place.

Has anyone else gone through anything similar? Have any rehab tips to help me get back on the ice one day?

I'm not looking to heal quick as much as I'm looking to heal right.

Stay safe out there!
-Scott

AvDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 01:24 PM
saskfarmboy
That's pretty neat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvDog View Post
So Sunday night I ended my first season of hockey with a spectacularly broken leg. I broke my right tibia in two and broke the fibula in 2 places. I had surgery on it Monday morning to get a rod put through my tibia with screws holding it in place.

Has anyone else gone through anything similar? Have any rehab tips to help me get back on the ice one day?

Stay safe out there!
-Scott
I haven't broken my leg, but one of my buddies broke his in 3 places a number of years ago. The doctors told him to do a lot of walking (go to a track and just walk laps), and do a lot of swimming. He had a limp for almost 2 years after it had healed, but it healed perfectly and its like its never been broken. Good luck with your recovery and heres to a speedy one!

saskfarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 01:28 PM
AvDog

sask-

Thanks! Does your friend skate/play hockey now?

Old
07-29-2010, 01:32 PM
saskfarmboy
That's pretty neat!

Quote:
sask-

Thanks! Does your friend skate/play hockey now?
He does, and he's (one of) the best defensemen on his team.

saskfarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 03:52 PM
Crosbyfan

Best of luck with your recovery. I hope it goes quick and you get back 100%.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 01:39 AM
ryangib

man, i feel you. i have a broken right hand right now. not being able to play is the worst and you dont wanna rush it. its all i think about.

ryangib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 10:21 AM
AvDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskfarmboy View Post
He does, and he's (one of) the best defensemen on his team.
Thanks! That does give me hope for the future. I know it's going to be a long haul.

Old
07-30-2010, 10:22 AM
AvDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryangib View Post
man, i feel you. i have a broken right hand right now. not being able to play is the worst and you dont wanna rush it. its all i think about.
Yeah, that's why I'm more concerned about it healing right than healing fast. I have lots of time left in my life to skate, I don't need to rush things.

Old
07-30-2010, 10:27 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:

Stay safe out there!
-Scott
Walk it off?

On a serious note, that really does stink man. Just think about how amazing you're going to feel when you get back on the ice when it eventually does happen...might make the wait easier. Good luck!

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 01:32 PM
spitfires07

hey man, I broke my left tibia when I was 14 and I had surgery as well. My foot was at a 90 degree angle to my leg if you can picture that, kind looked like an L. Anyways, it took me about 6 weeks in cast to heal, i started walking after 3-4 weeks.

start walking as early as possible (without pain of course), it will help to repair the tendons and muscle tissue surrounding the ankle, also like the other poster mentioned swimming (or just walking in the shallow end of a pool) is very good as well

if you go see a physiotherapist, do all the exercises they tell you to do, for example, I had to rotate my ankle clockwise and counterclockwise on a daily basis, the exercises will help a lot

when I started skating again I noticed that my tight turns and pivots had a lost a little, but I regained that over time

don't worry though, skating is like riding a bike and once you're on the ice it will feel natural again

best of luck

spitfires07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 03:11 PM
thedonger

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 04:51 AM
HF007
In Roy we Trust

i broke my left ankle tibia whatever
2 years ago
the best thing to move it alot and do physio like calf raises with really light weight.
Also swimming will help because it not hard on your joints

HF007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 10:53 AM
AvDog

Thanks everyone for the advice and encouragement! You guys rock.

Old
08-11-2010, 09:54 PM
sikosmurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdhillon View Post
i broke my left ankle tibia whatever
2 years ago
the best thing to move it alot and do physio like calf raises with really light weight.
Also swimming will help because it not hard on your joints
I did this exact thing last year. Quite honestly, the cast is going to do more damage to your leg than the actual break. Depending on how old you are, your bones will heal pretty well. It's all the atrophy and destruction of muscle tissue from not using it and swelling that's the real killer. Like the man said, calf raises will help. If you have insurance that will cover PT, try and do some of that once the cast is off. If not, ask the doctor for an exercise routine to get you better.

I'm not sure what kind of doctor you went to or what area you're in, but if at all possible, find an orthopedic group that specializes in sports medicine. They can usually give good information on healing.

Outside of healing advice, I'll give a few more tips. Showering sucks. Go to walmart and buy an all metal folding chair to use for the shower. Shouldn't pay more than $15, **** those fancy "shower seats". As for covering the leg, call around to medical supplies stores and get this thing that is like a rubber boot that fits over a cast (both half leg and full leg) then it pumps the air out to make it air tight. Put a little layer of toilet paper around the top of the cast to catch any stray leaks.

Good luck buddy, it's going to be a tough road.

sikosmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 08:04 AM
AvDog

thanks Sikosmurph!

I got my cast off on Monday and have a moon boot on instead. I get to spend some time every day attempting to move my around. I'm glad I picked surgery over 10-20 months in a cast.

The surgeon who did the surgery has given some good advice but I'm definitely going to try to find a sports medicine trainer to help me out.

I don't have to worry about covering my leg in the shower anymore, but that's some good advice. I just used a trash bag and some tape the nurse gave me. I do miss taking showers while standing up though. heh.