HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Recchi vs St. Louis

View Poll Results: Choose a player (all-time):
Mark Louis Recchi 6 75.00%
Martin Saint-Louis 2 25.00%
I'm sorry I can't, they are way too close 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-28-2010, 09:05 PM
Ziostilon

vCash: 500
Recchi vs St. Louis

Don't remember if i did this poll before or not.
Anyways, from what i hear and see both players seem to be on that borderline for HHOF induction.
They are both small in stature, and seem to be going into their late ages still pretty hot. In Martin's case, he just got handed a new contract by Stevie Y of all people. and Recchi is hitting 42 and still putting up a legit amount of points

Considering they still have time to go, until they wrap their career up.
Who will be the better player of all-time?
Mark Louis Recchi or Martin Saint-Louis

Ziostilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 10:57 PM
Big Phil

Got to say Recchi for me. The main reason is that St. Louis was such a late bloomer in the NHL and the biggest thing Recchi has had going for him is his insane longevity which has gotten to the point where it is hard to see him never getting into the HHOF. Now at their best I believe Recchi was never quite as good, but overall it's Recchi's career I choose and I am a big believer that St. Louis will build up enough of a resume to get entry into the HHOF someday

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 11:15 PM
seventieslord

Recchi without hesitation.

seventieslord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 08:55 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Got to say Recchi for me. The main reason is that St. Louis was such a late bloomer in the NHL and the biggest thing Recchi has had going for him is his insane longevity which has gotten to the point where it is hard to see him never getting into the HHOF. Now at their best I believe Recchi was never quite as good, but overall it's Recchi's career I choose and I am a big believer that St. Louis will build up enough of a resume to get entry into the HHOF someday
Agree with all of this.

Also will add that I believe that no player, IMO, hurts (though may not help) his legacy by playing "extra years".

In Recchi's case he is certainly adding to it. I was against his obvious overuse in Pittsburgh, where he could have done more with less icetime, but have been impressed by his roles with Carolina and Boston.

St. Louis has a ways to go to match, but he's certainly doing a job of it.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 09:09 PM
BraveCanadian

I have to go with Recchi on this one too.. its a shame that St. Louis didn't get a legitmate shot earlier in his career to possibly make this closer.

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 09:47 PM
revolverjgw

Hard comparison to make since their career arcs have been SO different, even though style-wise they're very comparable. St. Louis at his best is a better player in my mind, but Recchi had an awesome peak too and his longevity is amazing and substantial, he doesn't just hang on. He has numbers, character, heart, versatility, everything.

I don't know. Recchi all-time, I guess, but St. Louis is still arguably the best RWer in the game, which is more than Recchi could ever say. Marty can still add a ton to his legacy if he stays at this elite level. He has enough drive and enough Stamkos to do it.

revolverjgw is offline   Reply With Quote