HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Which Atlantic Team do you hate the most?

View Poll Results: Which atlantic team do you hate the most
Devils 85 37.78%
Islanders 30 13.33%
Pens 57 25.33%
Philly 53 23.56%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-26-2010, 03:33 PM
Garfinkel1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithtown31 View Post
Lots of sort of casual dismissal of the Islander-Ranger rivalry in this thread (and understably so).... BUT I honestly think an Islander Cup victory would be the worst possible thing for Ranger fans to endure... Especially if the Islanders were to somehow recover from 15+ years of mismanagement, off-ice embarrassments, comical uniforms and penny-pinching pay rolls to get to Cup #5 before the Rangers. Come on. You guys would go bezerk and probably disembowel Dolan and Sather in Penn Plaza.

Anyway, don't think it's exactly "imminent"... but something to think about when considering this question nonetheless.
The man has a point... I hate the Pens more than any other team except the flyers BUT when it comes to winning the cup, I think the islanders winning the cup would be most devastating....

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 04:07 PM
mullichicken25

expected to see this heavily skewed towards the islanders...i was mistaken

i have a healthy hatred for the devils but if push comes to shove i'd say the isles...

the islanders probablly just get the edge because the devils built the prudential center in newark which made things kinda cool when i was going to school there

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 04:09 PM
Matteau Matteau

Quote:
Lots of sort of casual dismissal of the Islander-Ranger rivalry in this thread (and understably so).... BUT I honestly think an Islander Cup victory would be the worst possible thing for Ranger fans to endure... Especially if the Islanders were to somehow recover from 15+ years of mismanagement, off-ice embarrassments, comical uniforms and penny-pinching pay rolls to get to Cup #5 before the Rangers. Come on. You guys would go bezerk and probably disembowel Dolan and Sather in Penn Plaza.

Anyway, don't think it's exactly "imminent"... but something to think about when considering this question nonetheless.
I agree. The rivalry has definitely taken a hit right now, and the Devils one has gone through the roof due to animosity between players and fan-bases and outstanding games.

But watching the Isles win a cup would make me projectile vomit more than any of the other Atlantic teams.

Matteau Matteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 04:42 PM
CrimsonBruin21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
The man has a point... I hate the Pens more than any other team except the flyers BUT when it comes to winning the cup, I think the islanders winning the cup would be most devastating....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteau Matteau View Post
I agree. The rivalry has definitely taken a hit right now, and the Devils one has gone through the roof due to animosity between players and fan-bases and outstanding games.

But watching the Isles win a cup would make me projectile vomit more than any of the other Atlantic teams.
HAA. Honestly what I think would make it the hardest for you guys is that it would literally be like having the Pittsburgh Penguins in your back yard. There are a TON of "closeted" Islander fans (easy lay up there... I know) out there. Thousands of people who have simply given up on the franchise that would suddenly re-emerge from the woodwork if the Isles got it together IMHO.

Not to take a shot at the Devils (last thing an Islander fan should be doing)- but as intense as Devils-Rangers is- the reason you see many of the 30-35 year old (I'm 34) and up Ranger and Islander fans still harkening back to the 70's and 80's is that the Islanders actually had a sizable "New York" fanbase and made things very uncomfortable for the MSG faithful (more in line with Yankees-Mets or Jets-Giants). Of course the chippy style of play in the 70's and 80's lended itself to more hatred as well (the Avery-Brodeur stuff is a ****ing pillow fight compared to what would go down back then)- plus the fact that the Rangers crushed the Islanders hearts in the '79 playoffs and the Islanders returned the favor in the playoffs through the 80's before the Rangers turned the tables again in the early 90's. Meanwhile NJD-NYR playoff match-ups have been pretty one sided in NYR's favor.

At any rate- I totally understand you guys hating the Devils more at the moment- and as long as Wacky Wang remains our owner- I wouldn't worry about the Isles for quite awhile either.

Last edited by CrimsonBruin21: 07-26-2010 at 04:50 PM.
CrimsonBruin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 04:55 PM
Matteau Matteau

Quote:
HAA. Honestly what I think would make it the hardest for you guys is that it would literally be like having the Pittsburgh Penguins in your back yard. There are a TON of "closeted" Islander fans (easy lay up there... I know) out there. Thousands of people who have simply given up on the franchise that would suddenly re-emerge from the woodwork if the Isles got it together IMHO.

Not to take a shot at the Devils (last thing an Islander fan should be doing)- but as intense as Devils-Rangers is- the reason you see many of the 30-35 year old (I'm 34) and up Ranger and Islander fans still harkening back to the 70's and 80's is that the Islanders actually had a sizable "New York" fanbase and made things very uncomfortable for the MSG faithful (more in line with Yankees-Mets or Jets-Giants). Of course the chippy style of play in the 70's and 80's lended itself to more hatred as well (the Avery-Brodeur stuff is a ****ing pillow fight compared to what would go down back then)- plus the fact that the Rangers crushed the Islanders hearts in the '79 playoffs and the Islanders returned the favor in the playoffs through the 80's before the Rangers turned the tables again in the early 90's. Meanwhile NJD-NYR playoff match-ups have been pretty one sided in NYR's favor.

At any rate- I totally understand you guys hating the Devils more at the moment- and as long as Wacky Wang remains our owner- I wouldn't worry about the Isles for quite awhile either.
Yeah it's one of the greatest rivalries in all of sports, IMO. I think it's on its way back up, and I'm looking forward to it.

Some of the greatest games I've been to in my life are Rangers vs. Isles games both in your building and ours.

Old
07-26-2010, 05:28 PM
CrimsonBruin21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteau Matteau View Post
Yeah it's one of the greatest rivalries in all of sports, IMO. I think it's on its way back up, and I'm looking forward to it.

Some of the greatest games I've been to in my life are Rangers vs. Isles games both in your building and ours.
From your lips to God's ears. I don't think either team is going to set the world on fire this season- but both organizations have some young players and prospects to be really excited about and the Rangers will certainly always have the resources to bring in some big names. Hopefully Wang, Dolan, Sather and Snow don't **** it up!!!

CrimsonBruin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 10:41 AM
lovetherangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRanger View Post
Flyers. Absolutely loathe everything about them.
This ^ Although I DO dislike the other teams. This was actually tough to pick one I dislike more than another. I am old enough to remember the constant battles with the Islanders, and their immature taunts at the masoleum, so I still have a good deal of loathing for them, although they have been a non-entity for some years now. The Pens my hate flucuates depending on the times. Hate during Marios era, could care less, now hate during Cindys era. The Devils are annoying, but still kinda inconsequential, let me know when you find a fan of theirs. Philly I despise, not just the Flyers, but the whole city, from the Phillies, to the Eagles. HATE, HATE, and HATE. The only good things to come out of Philly are cheesesteaks, and the Declaration of Independence. The whole city can go scratch as far as I'm concerned.

lovetherangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 10:54 AM
You 'Orns!

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:

That's why I think that the best thing for the Isles would be for the Rangers fans to hate them more. It's tough to hate the Islanders right now, because of the state they're in, but if Rangers fans spat more bile in the direction of the Islanders fans, those closeted fans would come out of the woodwork.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 12:18 PM
rambler725

The Devils never one a Stanley Cup by getting past the Rangers in the playoffs...The Isles 4 cups in a row and manhandling the Rags during their Cup years still leaves a bad taste...I will always hate the ISLES the most...i love going into their building these days and taking it over..if they moved to KC or China I would shed a tear !

rambler725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 03:53 PM
bettercallstaal
Stepan Stepan Stepan

Team I hate the most - Philly
Fans I hate the most - Devs

bettercallstaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 03:56 PM
bettercallstaal
Stepan Stepan Stepan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambler725 View Post
The Devils never one a Stanley Cup by getting past the Rangers in the playoffs...The Isles 4 cups in a row and manhandling the Rags during their Cup years still leaves a bad taste...I will always hate the ISLES the most...i love going into their building these days and taking it over..if they moved to KC or China I would shed a tear !
Please don't refer to the Rangers as the Rags.

bettercallstaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 10:22 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

It used to be Islanders, Flyers, Devils.

Now its Devils, Flyers, Islanders.

I hate Pittsburgh but they are far enough way that I don't have to deal with their fans, which of course is where the real hate comes from.

Devils have moved to #1 due to me registering on HFBoards. Most of my friends are Rangers fans. I don't have to deal with Devils fans unless I go to games. I have a few friends who are Devils fans, but we're friends and don't rib each other to the point of insanity. But so many Devils fans on HFBoards are intolerable. To be fair, we have a fair number of intolerable fans too from their perspective. But their irrational hate of all things Rangers is ridiculous. I don't like the Devils, but I don't want the entire teams bus to explode. I think if the Rangers were on a flight and it crashed, 75% of the Devils board would have a party.

Going to games doesn't help either, though. When Marshall and Kasparaitis were going at it in 2006, I almost got into two fights at the same guy from guys who insisted in shouting in my face that Kaspar sucked. I'm surprised I didn't get tossed that night. I was behaving myself for the most part but defended myself vocally against fans sitting near me.

Flyers stay at #2 because they are successful and their fans are douches, as always.

Islanders sink to the bottom. Since their team has been struggling, their more annoying fans have learned to keep their mouths shut so there's very little fan rivalry lately. The only Islanders fan I see posting reguarly is Trottier, who knows his hockey and is a pretty nice guy. I live in Jersey so I don't have any friends who are Islander fans. I see this rivalry coming back with a vengeance when the Islanders are competative again. Their fans are going to be chomping at the bit.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 10:24 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedwrister17 View Post
Please don't refer to the Rangers as the Rags.
I hate this too. I posted about it once two years ago, and got TORN UP by our own board. Basically people told me they'll call the team whatever the hell they like.

It's like Islander fans calling their own team the Icedancers. It's insulting. Have some pride. Rangers or Blueshirts. Leave Rags to other teams more obnoxious fans.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 10:58 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

4. Islanders
3. Devils
2. Flyers
1. Penguins

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 10:59 AM
DrZoidberg

Calling the Rangers 'The Rags' is insulting. It's no different than calling the Ducks 'The Quacks', or something. Drives me nuts.

DrZoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 11:47 AM
Schweiker17

after this season i cannot stand the flyers, im hoping to go to a rangers-flyers game next season

Schweiker17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 11:59 AM
Matteau Matteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweiker17 View Post
after this season i cannot stand the flyers, im hoping to go to a rangers-flyers game next season
I've been lucky enough to see a couple games where Avery effing killed them. God that was fun.

Flyers fans have a hard enough time watching a loss to the Rangers without Avery scoring two goals and adding an assist or two.

Old
07-29-2010, 03:31 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
Calling the Rangers 'The Rags' is insulting. It's no different than calling the Ducks 'The Quacks', or something. Drives me nuts.
Eh, to me it's no different than calling the Dodgers the "Bums" or other names that start out meaning something, but then have their connotation change with the times. The fact that people are using it that way seems more to me like the connotation is changing, not that people are "misinformed."

Language and meanings change, usually with generational battles, but change is inevitable.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 04:22 PM
Ani simov mal

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedwrister17 View Post
Team I hate the most - Philly
Fans I hate the most - Devs
Agreed.

Ani simov mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old