HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

1994-1995 Hawks vs. Wings Reality Check...

Old
07-29-2010, 03:24 PM
authority stache

vCash: 500
1994-1995 Hawks vs. Wings Reality Check...

I need some help winning a case o' beer.

I need a couple of people to verify the following incident, the details of which are a little hazy.

I'm thinking it was the 94/95 playoffs, I don't remember which game and the wings are ahead by a couple. There is a few seconds left on the clock when Vernon starts skating out towards the bench, giving a victory fist pump. Then one of the hawks, I think Tony Amonte, takes a last hail mary shot and because Vernon is so far out of the net celebrating, it zips by him and hits the post.

As I said, all the details are hazy but I need someone to remember Vernon going for an early victory skate and getting lucky with the post. It might not even have been that playoffs but I'm sure it was vs. the Hawks and Vernon was in net.

Anyone?

authority stache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 03:38 PM
jkrx

I have a some small recollection of it... not more than you though... what I most remember about Vernon and the hawks are the Probert incident. Quite funny.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 04:03 PM
Master_Of_Districts

Quote:
Originally Posted by authority stache View Post
I need some help winning a case o' beer.

I need a couple of people to verify the following incident, the details of which are a little hazy.

I'm thinking it was the 94/95 playoffs, I don't remember which game and the wings are ahead by a couple. There is a few seconds left on the clock when Vernon starts skating out towards the bench, giving a victory fist pump. Then one of the hawks, I think Tony Amonte, takes a last hail mary shot and because Vernon is so far out of the net celebrating, it zips by him and hits the post.

As I said, all the details are hazy but I need someone to remember Vernon going for an early victory skate and getting lucky with the post. It might not even have been that playoffs but I'm sure it was vs. the Hawks and Vernon was in net.

Anyone?
The event that you describe happened during Game 2 of the 1995 WCF, during the closing seconds of the 3rd period. The score was 3-2 for Detroit at the time.

While skating along the boards, Tony Amonte desperately shot the puck towards the Red Wings goal with about three or two seconds left on the clock. When the puck was released, he was at about the red line, if I recall correctly.

Meanwhile, Mike Vernon was - somewhat prematurely - preparing to celebrate the impending victory. At about the same time that the puck left Amonte's stick, Vernon proceeded to tap each goalpost with his stick and began to vacate the crease in the direction of the Red Wing's bench - presumably in order to congratulate and receive the congratulations of his teammates.

At the last possible minute, Vernon notices the puck skipping toward him (the puck may have been on edge when Amonte released it). He tried to make the save through extending his left pad but he wasn't able to react quickly enough. Fortunately for Vernon, the puck, as you said, ended up hitting the left goal post.

If I remember correctly, the replay shown by CBC indicated that there was about half a second left when the puck hit the post. In other words, a few inches to the right and Amonte would have sent the game into overtime.

I'm actually surprised that the incident isn't talked about more.

If you require video evidence, I have the incident on tape (not the original game, but the classic series episode that featured that series, as shown on the NHL network).

Master_Of_Districts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 04:05 PM
BraveCanadian

People don't talk about that one because this one actually went in

BraveCanadian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 08:30 PM
authority stache

That description is good enough for the case of beer. Many thanks for that and I'm sure your karma just jumped a little higher. I remember seeing it and not breathing till about the 3rd replay.

authority stache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 12:38 AM
Sadekuuro

I remember this as well, and if memory serves, the commentators on whichever broadcast were as nonchalant about it as Mike Vernon. It was only on replay that they realized what ridiculousness had nearly occurred.

Sadekuuro is offline   Reply With Quote