Bad news for Thrashers

Closed Thread

Old
09-30-2003, 04:26 AM
Kirk- NEHJ

vCash: 500
Bad news for Thrashers

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=1626742

Heatley and Snyder seriously injured in car accident.

Old
09-30-2003, 04:33 AM
Rick Middleton

Send a message via AIM to Rick Middleton
Anyone else think of Pelle Lindberg when they read this story?

Old
09-30-2003, 05:10 AM
ThorntoNeely198

Send a message via AIM to ThorntoNeely198
It sounds like Dan Snyder is in some tough shape right now. Let's all hope he makes a quick and complete recovery. As for Heatley, EA Sports curse or not, driving your sports car that fast around the "tony suburbs" (there aren't usually autobahns there) and tossing your friend out of the car at 80MPH is a major league bonehead move.

Old
09-30-2003, 05:44 AM
HockeyGoddess

I wish them both a speedy and full recovery. Sounds like Snyder is in really rough shape. Poor guy.

Go Bruins, go Bruins, GO!!
Old
09-30-2003, 05:47 AM
scotiahockey

Send a message via AIM to scotiahockey Send a message via MSN to scotiahockey Send a message via Yahoo to scotiahockey Send a message via Skype™ to scotiahockey
when will people learn that just because a car CAN go 300 mph, doesn't mean it has to. I too wish for a speedy recovery for both of these kids, but i hope heatley has "the book" thrown at him to its fullest extent. this type of behavior is not acceptable.

Old
09-30-2003, 05:51 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Middleton
I did. Pelle died a few blocks from where my grandmother lived, so it's a little extra eerie.

Old
09-30-2003, 05:59 AM
blurbruin

I'm guessing that since Snyder was thrown from the car this means he wasn't wearing a seatbelt?

Old
09-30-2003, 06:13 AM
BruinsGirl

NHL should ban Ferraris....

Old
09-30-2003, 06:13 AM
nhlbruin

Who'd look better on that EA Sports cover now?
But seriously...Heatly's fine, but I certainly hope Snyder makes it through...

Old
09-30-2003, 07:59 AM
BigBadBruinsMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Middleton
Actually I thought of Craig McTavish.

Old
09-30-2003, 01:48 PM
TJF

Send a message via MSN to TJF
What a boneheaded move by Heatley, I know he's driving a ferrerai which is the best sports car in the world and I know he's still young and all but going 80 mph in a 35 mph zone is just plain stupid. Heatley did get charged with reckless driving though but more imortanly if Snyder doesn't recover to resume his hockey career or even just live a normal life Heatley will have to live with that guilt for the rest of his life.

Joe Thornton took a lot of heat on these boards for that little fight he got into this summer but Dany Heatley isn't looking so great in my book right now as well.

Old
09-30-2003, 02:02 PM
Jeff from Maine

Let The First Stone Be Cast...

The first stone shall be cast by someone who knows not ignorance themselves!

In other words, the kid made a horrible mistake in judgement. Should he be villified for it?

He has to live with the consequences of his actions, as well as with what the law decides is appropriate.

But how many here have never been guilty of youthful indiscretion or stupidity?

I certainly cant say that I havnt made very stupid decisions.

None of my mistakes have left a close friend in major health crisis.

But the end result shouldnt bring on the firing squad!

He faces a lifetime of self-reflection for this.

I wont be the first to cast a stone. I know that had my grip on the wheel been just a bit tighter, or the road just a tad wetter, I may be looking at a situation or 2 from the same perspective as Mr. Heatley.

Prayers going out to Dan Snyder and Heatley as well.

Later

Old
09-30-2003, 02:07 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
I agree with Jeff...

At their age and younger I did many things that I'm not too proud about...

My Mom actually told me that " I would never live to vote "...

I did... mainly due to luck and a helluva good woman.

My thoughts go out to the injured .

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Old
09-30-2003, 02:24 PM
Jeff from Maine

Exactly Wally!

I can thank the same 2 things for my still being here....Well, not YOUR good woman. I have my own

But, the difference between myself and Heatley is flat out LUCK! I was lucky, and he wasnt.

And its something that NOBODY really has much control over. Sur, you dont have to drive that fast. But kids will be kids. The margin for error is so slim that the smallest thing can tilt your whole world, and someone elses, totally upside down!

Later

Old
09-30-2003, 03:36 PM
scotiahockey

Send a message via AIM to scotiahockey Send a message via MSN to scotiahockey Send a message via Yahoo to scotiahockey Send a message via Skype™ to scotiahockey
there is another difference jeff.

your car wouldnt go from 0-60 in 2.4 seconds.

i agree that he made a mistake. I hope to god that bodily injury is all he has to answer for in court.

i too have been guilty of many many questionable judgement calls and am probably lucky to be alive and to have stayed out of jail.

IF snyder returns to full health, (knocking on wood right now) and heater never gets a slap on the wrist for this, who does it help?

not the next athlete that comes down the pike and has a fast car and wants to light it up.

somewhere, sometime, things changed with drinking and driving. mactavish was LUCKY to have been given such a light sentence. if that had happened in these times he would have gotten 15-20 years.

was it better when the laws were more lax about DUI?

a car is a tool, but one that can become the deadliest weapons when misused. thank god that so far this incident hasnt claimed any lives.

heatley needs more than a tongue lashing in this situation. i dont want his life taken away from him, but he needs to realize, and sadly needs to be made an example of. we had a long discussion in my fantasy hockey chat room about this today and guys were screaming for 10-15 years behind bars.

i think 1-2 would be apporpriate and just.

i do not wish ill will on heater, and what you guys have creditted to luck i see this way :

except for the grace of god go i

but i cannot give a free pass to anyone with such weak reasoning

glenn

Old
09-30-2003, 07:42 PM
TJF

Send a message via MSN to TJF
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotiahockey
there is another difference jeff.

your car wouldnt go from 0-60 in 2.4 seconds.

i agree that he made a mistake. I hope to god that bodily injury is all he has to answer for in court.

i too have been guilty of many many questionable judgement calls and am probably lucky to be alive and to have stayed out of jail.

IF snyder returns to full health, (knocking on wood right now) and heater never gets a slap on the wrist for this, who does it help?

not the next athlete that comes down the pike and has a fast car and wants to light it up.

somewhere, sometime, things changed with drinking and driving. mactavish was LUCKY to have been given such a light sentence. if that had happened in these times he would have gotten 15-20 years.

was it better when the laws were more lax about DUI?

a car is a tool, but one that can become the deadliest weapons when misused. thank god that so far this incident hasnt claimed any lives.

heatley needs more than a tongue lashing in this situation. i dont want his life taken away from him, but he needs to realize, and sadly needs to be made an example of. we had a long discussion in my fantasy hockey chat room about this today and guys were screaming for 10-15 years behind bars.

i think 1-2 would be apporpriate and just.

i do not wish ill will on heater, and what you guys have creditted to luck i see this way :

except for the grace of god go i

but i cannot give a free pass to anyone with such weak reasoning

glenn
Very well said, I do feel bad for Heatley and Snyder and my prayers go out to both of them and their familes. I just saw a clip on the news and they showed the car and it was completly wrecked, luckily for them their both still alive and that no one else was involved. I know he's young and all but at the sametime that shouldn't be an excuse. Many of us on here were all over Thornton when he got into his bar fight, something that probably every guy in the 20's has experienced at one time or another. Heatley should get more than just a slap on the wrist for this though.

Old
10-01-2003, 06:18 AM
whatsbruin

Here is a pic of the car.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/index

Basically this car no longer exists!

I don't understand how this damage can happen
while going 80. 80 is fast, but not that fast.
I've been on the Mass Pike a few times, and 80 %
of the cars are going 80 or faster.

How either of them survived is beyond me.

Old
10-01-2003, 07:23 AM
scotiahockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsbruin

speed is relevent to alot of things.

80 is extremely fast in a down town area.

80 is extremely fast in a rural area.

80 may not be quite so fast on the I95.

there arent buildings like the one in the picture on the I95.

80 is extremely hard to control when 2 seconds ago you were going 30.

that car was made for speed... and perfomance, NOT safety. hitting a horsefly on the bumper would probably cause 3 grand in damages.

putting one's own life in danger is one level of stupidity, some may think it bravery, but lets be real. putting a friend's life in danger while he is sitting next to you in a car is another level, and putting countless others (pedestrians, other motorists) in danger is criminal, and needs to be dealt with as such.

Old
10-01-2003, 07:31 AM
HockeyGoddess

Apparently, the road where the accident occurred has 'rolling hills' and is pretty curvy. In one of the articles I read, it said that there was over 100 feet of skid marks before they crashed, broadsides, into a brick wall and iron fence.

Very scary!!

My thoughts and prayers go out to both of them.

Old
10-01-2003, 09:24 AM
Stock Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsbruin

The bottom line is that the level of speed is directly related to the force of impact. Basic physics says that a car going 80 mph, even if it may not SEEM that fast, is actually subject to many times the destructive forces on impact than a car going 40 or 50 mph.

This is what opponents of the speed limit to 70 mph have been saying all along. When you have cars traveling at higher velocities, then when there is an accident, the damage and injury will be much more severe because of the magnified force of impact.

In short- 80 is very fast. In high school, I wrecked the front end of my Datsun when I rear-ended somebody and I was going less than 20 on impact. It doesn't take much to crush steel- and 40 mph probably could've done similar damage to that Ferrari because of the way it skidded sideways before striking the brick wall.

Old
10-01-2003, 04:49 PM
Jeff from Maine

I Hear You Scotia

I hear you scotia, and buddy my point isnt to take issue on this with you.

But...

You mention that the big difference is that my car doesnt go from 0-60 in 2 seconds.

True enough.

But had i been able to AFFORD that kind of car, you bet your last buck I WOULD have been yokin that son of a gun just as fast as I possibly make it fly!

I also dont agree that he needs to be an example.

Who would he be an example for? Mayb for a kid who gets behind the wheel TODAY!

But in a week this will be long forgotten. It will be yesterdays news. Virtually NOBODY will care at all in a couple days!

Thats sad, but horribly true!

Unfortunately NOTHING can be done to right this wrong, or replace what has been taken away from Dan Snyder.

But throwing the book at, and making an example of a Heatley just isnt what we need to do, IMHO.

Certainly what the law dictates for a consequence for this tragedy, needs to be enforced.

And he needs to pay a price. I just dont agree with him needing to be an example.

Later

Old
10-01-2003, 06:29 PM
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally
I agree with Jeff...

At their age and younger I did many things that I'm not too proud about...

My Mom actually told me that " I would never live to vote "...

I did... mainly due to luck and a helluva good woman.

My thoughts go out to the injured .
you're right. i'm sure everyone has done stupid things that've put their lives in danger. especially young boys. most of us are just fortunate enough to walk away unscathed.

Old
10-02-2003, 06:23 AM
scotiahockey

jeff,

i do not take issue with you over a difference of opinion.

i see your side and i unfortunately agree that this will be forgotten all too soon. water under the bridge as they say?

however, even though you are most likely right about that, it doenst mean we should look away and let heater off. that is a very unresponsible stand to take, and i dont mind telling you that.

We all take chances in life, but the problem comes when the consequences for taking chances are removed.

in this case, snyder is a natural consequence to dan heatley's decision to light up his turbo charged sports car.

i do not think that should be the only consequence.

IF, and please dont think i am accusign heater of this by saying so, heatley is sociopathic to any degree, he wont care about snyder or what has happened to him, and it wont serve as any kind of detrament to him repeating this sort of action.

Again, i am not saying or even inferring that he is, but think about the possibility.

i know this is getting to be a bit of a bunny trail into morals and right vs. wrong and socialogy, but it must be considered at least briefly. heatley, for his own sake, and for society in general's, cannot be given a get of of jail free card here.

the possible ripple effect of that happening is unfathomable.

1- it sets a precedent.
lawyers love precedents as it gives them a chance to kick open any door down the road that was left even slightly ajar by the precedent being set.

2- what will every guy that is serving time now for reckless driving causing bodily harm going to think?
it is bad enough that money/notoriety can buy your way out of most legal pickles people of heaters social standing find themselves in. it is not just, and belittes out legal system. every time it happens it makes this country look like a big joke where anyone with enough money gets a free pass. be it murder, theft, ****, or reckless endangerment, criminals walk in america all day long. will convicting heately put and end to this injustice? NO, but it will be one victory on which to build.

3- heater is an up and coming superstar.
incarcerating him for this, WILL send a message to the next wave of prodigys. maybe only for a month or a year, but if that amount of time saves one person from repeating this bad judgement call, i feel it is worth it.

i know i am not going to convince everyone to think the way i do or to see this side of the heatley's situation. that isnt my plan, i enjoy thinking i am smarter than everyone else.. =-), if you all thought how i do then i couldnt make that claim and be able to convince myself it is true.

i hate that this has happened, i hope both young men can come away from this whole and better men for going through it.

Old
10-02-2003, 11:48 AM
Deedot
I'm your Huckelberry

Tired of dual standards

Heater needs to feel the full brunt of whatever criminal charges are laid upon him. I get sick & tired of seeing how the so-called "celebrity" status allows people to get off lightly where the everyday common joes of the world have to face the music. Winona Ryder, is a perfect example of someone who was caught shoplifting yet ends up with no jail time, just community service. How about our very own Joe Thornton? How many of us would be given community service for assaulting an officer of the law? I think any of us would be in jail or at the very least on probation. If memory serves, Jagr (when he was in Pittsburgh) used to get pulled over for speeding quite often. How does someone that irresponsible be able to keep their license? It's because there is a dual-standard in place; one for celebrities and one for the common folk.

Now I truly believe that Dany didn't mean for this to happen but it did. He was irresponsible and it may cost him a great deal. Should he get off lightly? Not in my opinion. Like Scotia said (I think it was you), taking Dany to task would be sending a message to the next up n' coming superstar that they need to think twice before they act.

Old
10-02-2003, 12:53 PM
blurbruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-dot
Heater needs to feel the full brunt of whatever criminal charges are laid upon him. I get sick & tired of seeing how the so-called "celebrity" status allows people to get off lightly where the everyday common joes of the world have to face the music. Winona Ryder, is a perfect example of someone who was caught shoplifting yet ends up with no jail time, just community service. How about our very own Joe Thornton? How many of us would be given community service for assaulting an officer of the law? I think any of us would be in jail or at the very least on probation. If memory serves, Jagr (when he was in Pittsburgh) used to get pulled over for speeding quite often. How does someone that irresponsible be able to keep their license? It's because there is a dual-standard in place; one for celebrities and one for the common folk.

Now I truly believe that Dany didn't mean for this to happen but it did. He was irresponsible and it may cost him a great deal. Should he get off lightly? Not in my opinion. Like Scotia said (I think it was you), taking Dany to task would be sending a message to the next up n' coming superstar that they need to think twice before they act.
my friend got arrested for assaulting an office (drunk on new year's) and he just got probation and some community service... so I don't think Joe got off that lightly.

Closed Thread