HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Need Advice about attending a Hockey Game (Senators)

Old
07-30-2010, 01:59 AM
Fedorov91*

vCash: 500
Need Advice about attending a Hockey Game (Senators)

Hey Everyone!!! Need some advice about attending a hockey game for the first time in years please. I will be attending a Senators game and was wondering if it's okay to wear another team's Jersey (like team a .vs. b but your wearing team c) your favorite player's

and what's the best seating for the 100L (Pink) Silver to view the game (http://senators.nhl.com/club/page.htm?bcid=23389) - taking my best friend for his birthday and want to make sure it's awesome - really appreciate your expert information~ Thank You!!!

Last edited by Fedorov91*: 07-30-2010 at 06:08 PM.
Fedorov91* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 02:13 AM
ean

If team A is playing at team B's home ice and you wear team A's jersey, expect to get **** talked to your face. If you wear team C's jersey, expect to get **** talked behind your back for being "that guy".

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 10:04 AM
Defgarden

I think in general wearing a neutral team's jersey is fine. Some people might go out of their way to comment, for good or bad, but it's usually fine.
BUT, if that jersey is a rival jersey, then people will think you're just doing it to be an ass. I'm not sure who the Senators biggest rival is though.

Most people are fairly nice, some are jerks who will talk crap, but most of that can be ignored.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 11:21 AM
Fedorov91*

Ahhh okay! Thanks guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defgarden View Post
I think in general wearing a neutral team's jersey is fine. Some people might go out of their way to comment, for good or bad, but it's usually fine.
BUT, if that jersey is a rival jersey, then people will think you're just doing it to be an ass. I'm not sure who the Senators biggest rival is though.

Most people are fairly nice, some are jerks who will talk crap, but most of that can be ignored.
That's great to know!! Going to a Sens-Pens game and might wear my Sens tee under neath JIC lol. Think their rival team is the Leafs, but Capitals are another. Going to give my bud a team Canada jersey and I'm thinking my Fedorov Red Wings one (that or my bro's Bruins) - Do you think that would be fine? Could you suggest any good seating also?? Anything else would be excellent -
Thanks

Old
07-30-2010, 01:36 PM
The Spicy Shrimp

Nothing wrong with Team Canada. Though you really should invest in a Columbus Fedorov jersey. He'll always be remembered as a Blue Jacket.

The Spicy Shrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 02:10 PM
noobman

Have you read the sports news lately?

A guy wearing a Miami Heat jersey got kicked out of a Cleveland Indians game

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 03:18 PM
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

If team A is playing team B at B's arena, there's nothing wrong with wearing team A jersey if that's your team. But wearing a neutral jersey (i.e. team C) is just stupid. For example, I was at a Leafs/Bruins game in Toronto this year and two guys were wearing Habs jerseys. They got **** talked so much. It's just stupid.

But wearing a Canada jersey is fine.

Rob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 04:19 PM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Influence View Post
If team A is playing team B at B's arena, there's nothing wrong with wearing team A jersey if that's your team. But wearing a neutral jersey (i.e. team C) is just stupid. For example, I was at a Leafs/Bruins game in Toronto this year and two guys were wearing Habs jerseys. They got **** talked so much. It's just stupid.

But wearing a Canada jersey is fine.
See comment above being about wearing home team's rival jersey.

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 05:41 PM
OrangePeel

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post

Exceptional circumstances. Not exactly the norm for a fan wearing another team's jersey.

OrangePeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 06:35 PM
Fedorov91*

Have any of you done this before at a game? Please share any stories Still not sure on this!

Old
07-30-2010, 06:39 PM
sbkbghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post

He didnt really get "kicked out" he was removed b/c he was a "security risk." There was lots of verbal arguments btwn him and other fans then it sounds like beer started being thrown and security moved in and removed him before he got his butt kicked by a whole section of angry Cleveland fans!!!

sbkbghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 06:52 PM
sbkbghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedorov91 View Post
Ahhh okay! Thanks guys

That's great to know!! Going to a Sens-Pens game and might wear my Sens tee under neath JIC lol. Think their rival team is the Leafs, but Capitals are another. Going to give my bud a team Canada jersey and I'm thinking my Fedorov Red Wings one (that or my bro's Bruins) - Do you think that would be fine? Could you suggest any good seating also?? Anything else would be excellent -
Thanks
It's in Ottawa right? with the Pens-Wings Stanley Cup finals recently if it's in Pitt you might have some stares.

I'm not a Sens fan or in Ottawa so I don't know the details of that market, but it sounds okay. 1) Fedorov is/was an awesome player and prob going to be a HHOF member someday. 2) It's not even a team in their (Sens or Pens) Conf and/or division.

sbkbghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 11:14 PM
Fedorov91*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spicy Shrimp View Post
Nothing wrong with Team Canada. Though you really should invest in a Columbus Fedorov jersey. He'll always be remembered as a Blue Jacket.
I really should one day lol nice jerseys but for me Red Wings, maybe Capitals

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkbghockey View Post
It's in Ottawa right? with the Pens-Wings Stanley Cup finals recently if it's in Pitt you might have some stares.

I'm not a Sens fan or in Ottawa so I don't know the details of that market, but it sounds okay. 1) Fedorov is/was an awesome player and prob going to be a HHOF member someday. 2) It's not even a team in their (Sens or Pens) Conf and/or division.
Thanks sbkbghockey!! Yeah Ottawa people are pretty polite for Canadians even heh - I feel confident in wearing the jersey now, knowing it shouldn't be too big an issue if I don't draw that type of attention! Thanks for all your helpful advice Everyone!!!

Old
07-30-2010, 11:40 PM
robmneilson

Definetly don't be the choade wearing a "team C" jersey at a game. There's always some schmuck wearing a Rangers jersey at an Isles vs whoever game (who usually gets jawed at alot).

The only acceptable "team c" jerseys to wear are Olympic teams, or a Charlestown Chiefs jersey!

robmneilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 03:17 PM
ponder

A Team Canada jersey is certainly fine to a Sens game, and I think your Fedorov Wings jersey should be fine too, pretty much everyone respects Fedorov and there's no real Sens/Wings rivalry. Though if you have a Team Canada or Sens jersey, don't see why you wouldn't wear it, what's the point of going to a hockey game if you're not gonna cheer for one side or the other?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spicy Shrimp View Post
Can't tell if you're joking or not, but come on, more or less EVERYONE sees Fedorov as a Red Wing, he spent the majority of his career and his entire prime in Detroit, won 3 cups with them too. As someone who grew up watching hockey in the 90s, when I think "Detroit Red Wings," I instantly think of Fedorov, Yzerman and Lidstrom.

Last edited by ponder: 07-31-2010 at 03:23 PM.
ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 06:44 PM
Razzmatazz

Okay, here's what you do for a Senators game:

1.) For the week leading up to the game, go to the gym constantly.
2.) Don't shower, shave, or brush your teeth during that time
3.) Put on your rattiest shoes and shorts, and then throw on your jersey, or, if you don't want it to get ruined, a Maple Leafs jersey
4.) Before leaving for the game, roll around in a ditch, and if someone else is driving, take a couple shots of Jim Beam for good measure.
5.) Collect change in the parking lot before the game to recoup your friend's parking fee.
6.) Party hearty!

Razzmatazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 08:27 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

If im at a Coyotes game against say the Kings, and someone is there with a Oilers jersey, Id think it was weird.

AZcoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 01:15 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedorov91 View Post
Ahhh okay! Thanks guys

Thanks
I think it will be fine, considering the Sens/Wings are not rivals, and Fedorov hasn't played for Detroit in a very long time. It should be obvious that you're just wearing the jersey because you like it, not to "take sides" against the home team.

In all the times I've worn a jersey in public, the positive comments have outweighted the negative ones by 10:1 or more. I've even worn visiting-team jerseys at playoff games and come away without any negativity. It's really not that bad.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 08:20 PM
Fedorov91*

Thanks for extra advice - some of my friends say I really shouldn't, but most say yes, so I will

Old
08-03-2010, 08:47 PM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkbghockey View Post
He didnt really get "kicked out" he was removed b/c he was a "security risk." There was lots of verbal arguments btwn him and other fans then it sounds like beer started being thrown and security moved in and removed him before he got his butt kicked by a whole section of angry Cleveland fans!!!
What a champ that guy is though... he was at a professional sports game and still got to be the centre of attention.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 10:09 PM
Galchenyuk27
C'est le buuuuuuuuut

Send a message via AIM to Galchenyuk27
I've worn Canadiens jerseys to Devils games against another team before and nothing but positive compliments on how the Habs may have played the night before has ever happened.

Galchenyuk27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 11:06 PM
nullterm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhXcoyotes View Post
If im at a Coyotes game against say the Kings, and someone is there with a Oilers jersey, Id think it was weird.
Showing love for ex-Oilers: Smyth, Greene, Stoll.

Once an Oiler, always an Oiler.

Especially if you're wearing 94 on your back.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 04:23 AM
Frankie Spankie

The only time I wore a different team's jersey was when I wore a KHL jersey to a Bruins game once. Only two people said anything (both of them being together, not two different situations) and they started speaking Russian to me. Fortunately I speak Polish which is close to Russian and I did take 2 semesters of Russian in college so I had a general idea of what they were saying but just kind of laughed it off saying that I don't understand Russian too well.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 10:46 AM
Cams

Going to a Sens game? Just wear a Leafs jersey and you'll fit in fine.

Seriously - watch a Toronto - Ottawa game in Ottawa, you'd swear it was a Leafs home game!

Cams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2010, 01:26 PM
Fedorov91*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Fan in NJ View Post
I've worn Canadiens jerseys to Devils games against another team before and nothing but positive compliments on how the Habs may have played the night before has ever happened.
That's Awesome