HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Niemi, a possible choice for the Flyers?

Old
07-30-2010, 07:52 AM
phillyfanatic

vCash: 500
The question is, who remains in the goaltender market? Chicago will likely sign Turco if Niemi walks, so that removes that option. So, what if after this weekend Turco is a Hawk, what market is there for Niemi?

The way I see it you have Philly, Washington, San Jose, Islanders, Oilers as the only possible teams. San Jose has limited space if they sign Setoguchi. Washington is likely to stick with what they have. Pretty weak market. Niemi shouldn't get much more than 2 million in this market, IMO.

Teams with no need for goalies:
Vancouver,New Jersey,Chicago,Boston,Calgary,Rangers,Toronto,Pitt ,Ottawa,Minnesota, Detroit,Montreal,Buffalo,Florida,Carolina,Dallas,L .A,Phoenix,T.B.,Anaheim,Nashville, St. Louis,Atlanta,Colorado

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 07:52 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
Why would we go after Niemi who is going to fetch way more than Turco? If he wasnt looking for $3+ Million he would be signed already.
Said it before and I'll say it again.

Hammer. Meet Nail.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 07:59 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
Marty Turco is better and cheaper. That simple. We don't need a long term goalie with guys like Bobo and Eriksson waiting. We need something like a 2 year deal which is perfect to Turco.
I can see how having a long term answer in goal is not needed seeing Bobo and Erickson have proven so much. I mean they are sure fire all stars and future #1 goalies for the flyers just like Boucher, Pelletier, Ooulet, Nitty. Not that Niemi is the answer but if the chance comes along to acquire a young guy who can be your goalie for the next 8 years you do it no questions asked. Worry about those 2 pannign out later as they are in no way shape or form guarenteed to make it.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 08:01 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
So why exactly does anyone think Niemi is better than Leighton?
Gee i dont know, tough question. Maybe the fact he made the saves when needed to help his team win the cup while Leighton folded like a house of cards.

Old
07-30-2010, 08:09 AM
treeman

there are no 'stand on your head' goalie available in the near future.

That being said, if you don't already have one of those type of goalies your only course of action is to beef up the D.

Niemi, Turco, ML are not 'stand on your head' goalies.

treeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 08:13 AM
jimbo65

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Gee i dont know, tough question. Maybe the fact he made the saves when needed to help his team win the cup while Leighton folded like a house of cards.
I find it unbelievable that some of you right off Leighton because of his performance against Chicago in the stanley cup finals...Leighton was never slotted as being a #1 goalie throughout his career and has never faced this much pressure as well....This is a great building block for Leighton and the flyers to move forward with....If they acquired Niemi....they would have a very good one, two punch in goal moving forward....

jimbo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 08:19 AM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo65 View Post
I find it unbelievable that some of you right off Leighton because of his performance against Chicago in the stanley cup finals...Leighton was never slotted as being a #1 goalie throughout his career and has never faced this much pressure as well....This is a great building block for Leighton and the flyers to move forward with....If they acquired Niemi....they would have a much better chance at having one legit backup quality goalie....
Fixed.

Ps. I would like to see the Flyers grab Niemi just so we could have the constant goalie controversy that I have become accustom to since 1997. If we get Turco he is the legit number 1, if we get Niemi it is a season long battle to see who is less ****** going into the playoffs.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 08:21 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo65 View Post
I find it unbelievable that some of you right off Leighton because of his performance against Chicago in the stanley cup finals...Leighton was never slotted as being a #1 goalie throughout his career and has never faced this much pressure as well....This is a great building block for Leighton and the flyers to move forward with....If they acquired Niemi....they would have a very good one, two punch in goal moving forward....
I find it unbelievable that people really think Leighton is the answer. What was a great building block? Leighton playing like he has througout his career in the finals? He is a backup goalie at best. Pressure, give me break.

Old
07-30-2010, 08:56 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
I can see how having a long term answer in goal is not needed seeing Bobo and Erickson have proven so much. I mean they are sure fire all stars and future #1 goalies for the flyers just like Boucher, Pelletier, Ooulet, Nitty. Not that Niemi is the answer but if the chance comes along to acquire a young guy who can be your goalie for the next 8 years you do it no questions asked. Worry about those 2 pannign out later as they are in no way shape or form guarenteed to make it.
I agree if a young goalie comes along Im all for it. The fact is, Niemi is not. Hes 27 and has had 1 decent NHL season. Locking him up for 8 years would be retarded. My point is, I would rather go for a cheap veteran option for 2 years and see what we have in these guys. If they dont pan out then we can go after another goalie then, a goalie better than Niemi.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 08:29 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Umm, no.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 09:15 PM
Jumping

Niemi is not worth 1.5 million dollars more than Leighton.

That beng said, nothing this organization would do would surprise me.

Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 09:18 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Yeah right. Next you're gonna say Maroon, Marshall and Testuide aren't gonna be all stars.

I agree. We are stcuk with Leighton so the question is who would you rather have him compete with Bouch or Niemi, Turco, Theodore for playing time? Exactly. So, if you can sign and fit any of those guys in the cap why would you be against it.

Niemi wasn't great but the Flyers do have some fire power even with Gagne and Carter less then 100%. He made some big saves when it was needed at the end of the 3rd period and beginning of OT in game 6.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 10:44 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
What can I say, goal tending is kind of my thing.

If stats are what does it for you, cool. Goalies don't play in a vacuum though. For whatever it's worth, my opinion is rooted in actually watching them play.

It's a lot easier to get an athletic spaz like Niemi to cut down on his positional mistakes than it is to turn a sloth like Leighton into an adequate athlete. I am oversimplifying my argument a little bit for the sake of brevity, but that is the majority of why I say Niemi has more room for improvement.

In the finals Niemi was making more difficult saves, more often. And he got legitamitely left out to dry more often than anyone cares to mention (or if people are saying that, then I am missing it). Leighton was getting scored on by very stoppable shots. I'm oversimplifying my case, but that says a good deal about why I think he's better now.
Stats >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> watching someone play

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 10:45 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Won't happen because Niemi is going to get over $3M.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 10:54 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Dear Mush,

"Sloth like Leighton" is a perfect analogy. come october, please remind me to ask one of our photoshoppers to make a sloth leighton. thanks.

Love,

Unconquered Beef.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 11:09 PM
goodrev

niemi is garbage, no thanks.

He won the cup yes, but due to the offense of his team and not because of his "big game" ability.

Put it this way, going into the series with chicago he was the reason i thought we could beat them.

goodrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 11:44 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodrev View Post
niemi is garbage, no thanks.

He won the cup yes, but due to the offense of his team and not because of his "big game" ability.

Put it this way, going into the series with chicago he was the reason i thought we could beat them.
And we didn't because he made the saves Leighton couldn't.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 11:48 PM
mypunkrock

See, now if we would just offer Turco 2 years at 2 to 2.5 mil, we could be over this.

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 12:49 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Won't happen because Niemi is going to get over $3M.
yep, then the Hawks walk away from that decision and they sign Turco for 3 years @ 1.25 million per. Causing many on this board to want to jump off the Walt Whitman bridge and the Holmgren supporters will still defend his deicisions this off season. guru for starters.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 02:18 AM
fire bettman

Unless we can get Niemi at the same price as leighton, no thank you. Both of them are wayyyyy to similar, both of them were unproven goalies going in the SCF the only difference is Leighton let in history's worst Stanley Cup winning goal. Everyone seems to forget Niemi was not too great down the stretch, just better than Huet.

Give me turco at around 4M for 2 years as a serviceable starting goalie and see where Bobrovski/Backlund/Eriksson are at that point.

After all this goalie ********, if we get Turco, people will start loving him more than Hexy.

fire bettman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 03:47 AM
Komarov47

Speaking of goalie, does a trade Gagne-Cory Schneider would have been fair?? Just wandered... This kid is very good, and obiously he won't be a starter until Luongo dies!

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 03:51 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire bettman View Post
Unless we can get Niemi at the same price as leighton, no thank you. Both of them are wayyyyy to similar, both of them were unproven goalies going in the SCF the only difference is Leighton let in history's worst Stanley Cup winning goal. Everyone seems to forget Niemi was not too great down the stretch, just better than Huet.

Give me turco at around 4M for 2 years as a serviceable starting goalie and see where Bobrovski/Backlund/Eriksson are at that point.

After all this goalie ********, if we get Turco, people will start loving him more than Hexy.
So many things wrong with this post

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 03:51 AM
Komarov47

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire bettman View Post

Seeing how long it takes to develop a young goalie and being at his full potential, i think we won't see a guy like Eriksson before 4/5 years. He will have to prove that he is a true future great goalie by making one or two great seasons with Skellefteć in Eliteseiren then go in NA to play in AHL, last year he was in Allsvenskan, and had pretty good numbers, so the question is, can we go with Turco for 3/4 or at least 5 years??

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 04:34 AM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
Speaking of goalie, does a trade Gagne-Cory Schneider would have been fair?? Just wandered... This kid is very good, and obiously he won't be a starter until Luongo dies!
I think Gagne for Schneider and a first would have been fair.
In knowledge of the return we actually got for Gagne, I would've taken Schneider for Gagne any day of the week.

Same could be said about Harding.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 04:44 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeman View Post
there are no 'stand on your head' goalie available in the near future.

That being said, if you don't already have one of those type of goalies your only course of action is to beef up the D.

Niemi, Turco, ML are not 'stand on your head' goalies.
Vokoun?

CS is offline   Reply With Quote