HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CSN Philadelphia Loophole Closed: talks begin -->

Old
07-31-2010, 01:47 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

vCash: 500
CSN Philadelphia Loophole Closed: talks begin -->

7/28/2010 5:39:13 PM
Comcast is in talks with DirecTV and DISH about carriage of itsregional sports net in Philly, according to sources familiar with those talks.

That does not come as a big surprise. Both satellite carriers formally asked for access to the RSN in the wake of the FCC's decision earlier this year that terrestrially delivered networks were not de facto excluded from complaints about access to distributor-owned programming (the so-called terrestrial exemption).

A source said talks are ongoing, but that Comcast is still not inclined to make the programming available, and even if it does, not without conditions of carriage that would make it more palatable to the company.

A DirecTV spokesman confirmed that the company had made a formal request for access, but said the company was "waiting to hear back." Asked if that meant the company was not in discussions, he declined comment.

A Comcast spokesperson had no comment. A DISH spokesperson was not available for comment at press time.

7/30/2010 2:56:23 PM

Dish Network says that Comcast has refused to negotiate "in good faith" to make its Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia available to its customers, and that it plans to file a complaint with the Federal Communications Commission.

While sources familiar with the issue told Multichannel News that the two sides had had discussions, Dish says the company is inappropriately using its leverage over must-have sports programming to "drive onerous terms for its other programming properties."

Dish had requested access to the regional sports net after the FCC ruled in January that a distributor withholding a terrestrially delivered co-owned programming network from a satellite competitor was not de facto insulated from program access complaints.

"Dish Network believes that Comcast is in direct violation of the FCC's order to close the 'terrestrial loophole' within the program access rules, and plans to file a formal complaint," said Dish in a statement. "It is this type of anti-competitive conduct that reinforces our argument that the merger between Comcast and NBCU poses a grave threat to competition in the multichannel video market."

Dish had no comment on whether or not there had been talks, but a source close to the company said the "discussions" amounted to an exchange of letters, the upshot of which was that Comcast was not making the RSN available.

"We remain willing to discuss carriage of Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia with Dish Network," asid Comcast in a statement. "Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia has always been available to Comcast's local competitors, including Verizon and RCN, and our distribution policies have been upheld by both the FCC and the courts. Comcast makes every one of its other networks including nine national networks and 13 regional networks, available to all TV providers, including Dish."

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 01:49 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
No, please just no.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 01:55 PM
Jester

There's a loophole with CSN and satellite service?

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 02:43 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Do you like the Flyers? Or just *****ing about Comcast. shut the **** up already.

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 02:58 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Did you guys know that the Recession is Comcast's fault too?

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 03:21 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Did you guys know that the Recession is Comcast's fault too?
Because they're ******* capitalist a**holes, I know!

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 05:38 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Bernie has just got to have some form of OCD.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 06:05 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
Do you like the Flyers?
sure do ... this issue probably revolves around Flyers fans more than any other team's fan base .... since the new season is about 60 days away, the satellite companies are turning up the heat to make Comcast comply with the FCC so the Flyers can be see by Flyers fans via Satellite.

kinda sad that Comcast has refused to negotiate "in good faith" to make its Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia available to its customers, according to DN.

Old
07-31-2010, 06:35 PM
UseYourAllusion

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 06:49 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Why don't you talk about anything else?

Last edited by DeadPhish5858: 08-01-2010 at 08:34 AM.
DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 08:09 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

there are many, many Flyers fans nationwide who are missing the CSN Philly and games because of Comcast ... this is a very important issue to them.

you guys don't care because you already get CSN Philly, fine ... why are you posting here trying to incite a fight .... that is clearly against the Board Rules.

Comcast has many Flyers fans over a barrel, as they once did with me .... I figured out a way around it ... not everyone can go the route I did.

for those that can't, this is very big news ..

as for what I'm contributing??

I'm posting the latest news updates, whereas you guys are contributing nothing at all to the topic.

look in the mirror.

ignore the topic if you don't like it .. you'll sleep better

Last edited by Bernie Parent 1974: 08-01-2010 at 11:06 AM.
Old
07-31-2010, 10:44 PM
sg12lw

id ****ing love to not have to listen to the others teams horse poo announcers 100% of the time for 14 more years

this could be huge for those of us in the midwest!

sg12lw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 11:39 PM
ShelbyFlyer

You can count me in as caring about this. Since I am in CA with DTV I order the NHL center ice. I don't mind spending the money but I tire of listening to most of the other teams homers. Plus I'd love to see more about the Phills, Eagles and other local stuff.

I'm hoping this happens by the opener.

Also, my dad and all three of my uncles are waiting for this to be resolved. One with DTV and the others to consider switching from Comcast. They had no idea about the ruling until I was back east last month.

ShelbyFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 11:52 PM
PhillyFan4Ever

this wont guarantee center ice games will change home feeds. center ice is part of the indemand networks not satellite companies(cable subscribers can get it also.)....so indemand would have to negotiate a carriage deal with comcast for them to braodcast it. im sure it will happen. but this doesnt effect out of towners who watch indemand.

PhillyFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 12:14 AM
ShelbyFlyer

You missed my point. Sorry if I wasn't clear. If Comcast and DTV reach an agreement, I will most likely add Comcast to my programming and not renew the NHL Center Ice package.

Old
08-01-2010, 12:44 AM
PhillyFan4Ever

can you get every single comcast region now? ie- CSN Bay Area, CSN California, CSN Chicago, CSN New England, CSN Northwest etc???

PhillyFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 01:19 AM
sg12lw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
You missed my point. Sorry if I wasn't clear. If Comcast and DTV reach an agreement, I will most likely add Comcast to my programming and not renew the NHL Center Ice package.
wont the games be blacked out? i know the caps comcast games dont work on the comcast DC channel for me, it has to be on the centre ice channels doesnt it?

sg12lw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 06:37 AM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg12lw View Post
wont the games be blacked out? i know the caps comcast games dont work on the comcast DC channel for me, it has to be on the centre ice channels doesnt it?
yes. they black out the games.

Old
08-01-2010, 06:42 AM
0range and Black

1) Love people who comment in threads they feel should not exist.

2) I live far from Philly and I would love to get Daily News Live and Sportsnet from Philly. Only the games are blacked out, not the rest of the coverage. This is a big deal.

3) A broken record in the phrase "you are like a broken record" is not shattered, it has a skip in it so it repeats. The record in the picture would never post anything.

0range and Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 06:45 AM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0range and Black View Post
3) A broken record in the phrase "you are like a broken record" is not shattered, it has a skip in it so it repeats. The record in the picture would never post anything.
Thank you.

Old
08-01-2010, 07:19 AM
Mylec 22

Being in Florida, I'm with the transplant crowd here. This stuff is big news to me too.

Mylec 22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 10:41 AM
healthyscratch

I'm with ya Bernie, keep us posted on progress of this situation. I for one would love to get rid of Comcast and go with DirectTV, or at least get better pricing from Comcast when this happens.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 11:00 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFan4Ever View Post
can you get every single comcast region now? ie- CSN Bay Area, CSN California, CSN Chicago, CSN New England, CSN Northwest etc???
yes, excluding CSN Philly of course .... it's called DirecTV's Sports Pack.

http://www.directstartv.com/directv_...orts_pack.html

SNY is the Comcast owned Channel in NY for the Mets

this would allow a transplanted Flyer fan to watch CSN PHILLY to get the local spin on the Flyers. [kinda a big deal to MANY people]

for the actual games on CSN Philly, you'd need Center Ice ... DTV usually has 2 feeds for every game, home / away.

with Flyers games now, you only get the 'non Flyers' feed in about all but 10 games a year.

this will change if CSN is carried on DTV. as it is now, I get the BlackHawks on CSN Chicago & on Center Ice [770 or so]

thanks to those who appreciate this thread .....

Last edited by Bernie Parent 1974: 08-01-2010 at 11:19 AM.
Old
08-01-2010, 11:05 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFan4Ever View Post
this wont guarantee center ice games will change home feeds. center ice is part of the indemand networks not satellite companies(cable subscribers can get it also.)....so indemand would have to negotiate a carriage deal with comcast for them to braodcast it. im sure it will happen. but this doesnt effect out of towners who watch indemand.
it will certainly effect DTV customers with CEnter Ice.

Old
08-01-2010, 02:37 PM
ShelbyFlyer

I wasn't sure about the games being blacked out on CSN-Philly. I was going to check on that before I dropped Center Ice. That was why I said likely. If games are blacked out on CSN-Philly (assuming that is NHL rule) then this isn't so important to me until I move back to the Philly area. When I visit I am shocked how bad the Comcast product is compared to Directv. Obviously that is a personal opinion and preference but I think a lot of people in Comcast Country don't no how bad they have it.