HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2003 Draft: Proof of why Kostitsyn wasn't actually a bad pick

Old
07-28-2010, 05:25 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
I think it's way too soon to talk about that, let's wait and see what he will do next year. Everyone were happy after the contract we gave to Plek but 2 years ago alot of posters didn't wanting him back.

alot of things can change in a year
Well, that's why I said this is a make or break year for him.

But unless he has a solid season, I don't really see him being re-signed unless he takes a paycut.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 05:55 PM
Kirk Muller

I was never a fan of the pick mainly cause there were as good of picks as him who fit what Montreal needed more and still do this day lack in that area. There was a poster(Russianfan, Russianfanatic something like that) back in the day who basically hyped him to no end and people bought into the hype.

However Kostitsyn is here and frankly, I think Montreals development of young players at the NHL level is whats hindering prospects. Everything seems fine until they hit the NHL. Hamilton is doing a fantastic job and it never materializes at the NHL level.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 08:18 PM
dre2112

Kostitsyn wasn't that bad of a pick, but there should not be 15-20 players drafted AFTER him that are having more of an impact to their team

dre2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 10:47 AM
shortcat1

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I think this thread has more potential for lulz than it's cousin, the chipchura thread. Although now I have an overwhelming urge to create a ' Fischer can still be great' thread.
Go for it!

shortcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 11:01 AM
QcnARF

Nice try, but people have a tendency to only look at the bad ones. Like pam mentionned PK was a good one and Markov's draft in round 6(164th overall) was incredible.

QcnARF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 11:40 AM
Phildaskill

The guy has only played 3 seasons of more then 50 games and during those is over 0.5 pts per game. If he plays a full season he should easily score 30 goals and get about 60 pts. Is that really that bad for a top six winger? Many would love to trade him for a guy like Ryan Clowe who plays on SJ second line but their stats are very similar and he plays on arguably the top team in the west. Andrei hasn't been the same since getting nailed by Sauer a few years ago but I truly believe that his bro being gone will help him concentrate more on hockey and he should have a 30+goal season.

Phildaskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 11:44 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildaskill View Post
The guy has only played 3 seasons of more then 50 games and during those is over 0.5 pts per game. If he plays a full season he should easily score 30 goals and get about 60 pts. Is that really that bad for a top six winger? Many would love to trade him for a guy like Ryan Clowe who plays on SJ second line but their stats are very similar and he plays on arguably the top team in the west. Andrei hasn't been the same since getting nailed by Sauer a few years ago but I truly believe that his bro being gone will help him concentrate more on hockey and he should have a 30+goal season.
I feel the opposite. they are spending their summer in Belarus and are talking possibly almost everyday. Sergei MUST be darn happy to be out of the Canadiens' dressing room and Andrei - who still cannot give an interview in English after 6 years in North America- will feel pretty much alone in there.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 11:55 AM
Phildaskill

Won't be any better for him in any other dressing room around the league. Pretty sad he can barely speak english really. (KHL bound next year in my opinion) As for Sergei i'm sure the guys in the Habs room are much happier he's gone then he is to be out of Montreal.

Old
07-29-2010, 11:56 AM
Santino

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
I feel the opposite. they are spending their summer in Belarus and are talking possibly almost everyday. Sergei MUST be darn happy to be out of the Canadiens' dressing room and Andrei - who still cannot give an interview in English after 6 years in North America- will feel pretty much alone in there.
thats really irrelivant, how many interviews has markov given in his 9 seasons with the habs? not many more than andre. Give him a break with the language thing.

Santino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 11:58 AM
Santino

Quote:
Won't be any better for him in any other dressing room around the league. Pretty sad he can barely speak english really. (KHL bound next year in my opinion) As for Sergei i'm sure the guys in the Habs room are much happier he's gone then he is to be out of Montreal.
apparently his english isnt as bad as what we hear in the interviews. He is just really shy and nervous speaking in front of a camera which is understandable.

Santino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 12:05 PM
Phildaskill

Markov is now a Canadien citizen so it doesn't matter if or how well he speaks english lol

Old
07-29-2010, 12:13 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Markov is now a Canadien citizen so it doesn't matter if or how well he speaks english lol
His lack of communication skills in English will prevent him of being the next Captain.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 12:22 PM
Phildaskill

I'd much rather have a guy like Georges be captain in Montreal and not have the added pressure to score points. I believe this would be the ideal situation in the pressure cooker that is Habsland.

Old
07-30-2010, 11:20 AM
ruski17

Kostitsyn WAS a great pick. It's like people saying Connolly in this year's draft was a terrible pick and that Tampa should have selected Kevin Hayes instead. Andrei was picked 10th mostly because he tore up the U18 tournament with a terrible team netting 15 points in 6 games with Team Belarus. He was 3rd among Eurpean skaters during his draft year. He was supposed to become a great player, better than Carter, Getzlaf, etc. Sadly, it did not happen, he didn't progress at the same level and isn't a top teir forward. Nowadays, people look back at a draft and critize Timmins like he should have known wha the future will be. Scouting is VERY difficult because you never really know what you are getting. A good example is Kyle Turris. He was a very possible 1st pick overall in 2007 and he played 66 NHL games and scored only 21 points and is playing in the AHL where he socred 63 points last season in 76 games. In his draft year, Turris was supposed to be the real deal and become an elite player, now his upside is a solid top 6 forward. Still good upside, but a far cry from an elite forward.

ruski17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 11:36 AM
andreconstantin

Send a message via Skype™ to andreconstantin
Kostitsyn wasn't a bad pick, I can't deny this but when you see the picks after him, it makes you wonder if we really did the right pick. We kinda have a developing problem in Montreal, that's the reason why I beleive that even if we had drafted a good player, he wouldnt be as good with us. In Montreal, you will always get critics but we can't deny the fact that this team is starting to look good. I will be honest, I think a lot of people overrate our drafting, which player have we drafted in the past 5-10 years that really stood out for us and is big piece of our team? Plekanec? Price? Markov? Hopefully Subban...but my point is, the Gio's, Gomez, Cammaleri's we have right now on our team are supposed to be draftees of ours...not free agent signees.

andreconstantin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 02:00 PM
tinyzombies

Even if Kostitsyn becomes a 30 goal scorer, he will always be a poor choice because he's not a playoff guy. His skating and board work are below average as is his compete level.

Missing Getzlaf means missing a Cup or more, bottom line. Never will be fixed.

And getting outbid by Lamoriello for Parise means maybe missing two Cups.

Just awful GMing right across the board.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 06:05 PM
guapo23

Thanks to the OP !

This needed to be said.
So many people are so focused on THEIR team
that they forget that ALL teams make bad choices.

guapo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 06:24 PM
sukimono

I've been waiting for a "Proof of why David Fischer wasn't actually a bad pick"

Anyone?

sukimono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 06:32 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Hugh Jessiman was a bad pick. Andrei Kostitsyn is just a disappointment.

The talent is there. He sometimes blows by defencemen with his speed, he sometimes crushes opponents with his size, he sometimes threads the needle with a sick pass and he sometimes unleashes an amazing wrist shot that would beat any goalie anytime.

The problem of course is these all happen "sometimes" and not all the time. If he had any sort of drive then the Habs would have an elite player. And for a player who rarely puts in 100% effort, he has low hockey sense. At least guys like Kovalev, Malakhov and Yashin, all known to be lazy players, had incredible hockey sense and could take over for stretches. Kostitsyn only takes over on a game by game basis as opposed to week by week or month by month. Obviously I am aware he has amazing months, but his overall play does not increase, he just gets points. Those guys mentioned before could be the best players on the ice any given night, dazzling with all-around play; Andrei just merely produces points any given night.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote