HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

THN: DW confident of team, now and in the future

Old
07-31-2010, 12:49 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
THN: DW confident of team, now and in the future

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...nd-future.html

Quote:
[There are] those who classify the Sharks as a failure because they’ve yet to achieve the ultimate goal and, in the minds of some, are moving further away from becoming a team that can get over the championship hump.
But Wilson takes serious umbrage with those perceptions.
“Our failures are higher than most teams’ successes,” Wilson said. “We don't really worry about the outside noise. We went to the final four last year and we played very well. We're going to build on that this upcoming year; last year is over and done with.
“Perception versus reality…how many teams have accomplished what we've accomplished the past six or seven years?”
And when he looks at his NHL roster and beyond, he sees a collection that's not only positioned very well for this season, but many campaigns to come.
The past I'll leave to the eye of the beholder, but you can't argue his position on the present and future. Thanks to shrewd drafting, signings and trades, San Jose is flush with current and future stars as well as the role players necessary for success. Even in goal, where Antero Niittymaki was signed to replace long-time Shark Evgeni Nabokov, Wilson is confident he got the right man for the job at the right price.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 12:53 PM
JPavs8Clutchy*

So basically he's cool with having Murray and Demers/Wallin/Huskins in the top-4? And he's not going to make any more moves? LOL.

JPavs8Clutchy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 12:56 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPavs8Cluthcy View Post
So basically he's cool with having Murray and Demers/Wallin/Huskins in the top-4? And he's not going to make any more moves? LOL.
Responding in general....
Quote:
As much as Wilson likes the current make-up of his team, however, he won't hesitate to pull the trigger now or any time during the season if the right opportunity to improve presents itself.
“We've got lots of (cap) room, lots of assets and all our picks,” said Wilson, who sits $5.5 million below the salary ceiling. “There's probably a long way to go before this team is ultimately built…There's a lot that can happen between now and the trade deadline, but we're positioned just like we were when we added Thornton, Boyle or Heatley, if the right player with the right type of contract comes along.”

Old
07-31-2010, 01:09 PM
AKM83
Chomp. Chomp.

For the '11-12 season, I'm not so sure we're in all that great of position unless we move some salary. Let's say we extend JT for 3 more years at $7m (hopefully it's not more) and Seto puts up 60+pts this season and gets a multi-year contract at $3.75m. McGinn gets a slight pay raise as well.

Dany Heatley ($7.500m) / Joe Thornton ($7.000m) / Patrick Marleau ($6.900m)
Ryane Clowe ($3.625m) / Joe Pavelski ($4.000m) / Devin Setoguchi ($3.750m)
Jamie McGinn ($1.500m) / Logan Couture ($1.242m) / Torrey Mitchell ($1.367m)

Dan Boyle ($6.667m) / Marc-Edouard Vlasic ($3.100m)
Douglas Murray ($2.500m) / Jason Demers ($1.250m)

Antero Niittymaki ($2.000m) / Thomas Greiss ($0.550m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
ROSTER: 15; CAP:$59.4m; PAYROLL: $52.950m; CAP ROOM: $6.450m; BONUSES: $0.425m

If the cap holds at $59.4m, that leaves us almost $6.5 in cap. Realistically more like 5.5-6m to sign two d-men; maybe one top 4 and one bottom pairing guy if Moore/Petrecki/Schaus don't step up. Plus we would need to fill in our 4th line and add at least one extra skater.

Obviously a lot can change from now to next off-season, but at this very moment I don't see how we're poised for years to come.

AKM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 01:50 PM
vilpertti

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopShelf09 View Post
If the cap holds at $59.4m, that leaves us almost $6.5 in cap. Realistically more like 5.5-6m to sign two d-men
The cap will no doubt be over $60M in 11-12. My early guess would put it around $62-63M.

vilpertti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 01:54 PM
Led Zappa
Steady As She Goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilpertti View Post
The cap will no doubt be over $60M in 11-12. My early guess would put it around $62-63M.
We don't even know if they will extend the CBA. All bets are off for me with projections in this area. With the Kovalchuk deal getting nixed and the Players assoc not exactly happy about it, I'm not sure they don't open the whole bag of worms again. Hell, we might not even have a season next year.

There’s a lot of things wrong with this country, but one of the few things still right with it is that a man can steer clear of the organized ******** if he really wants to. It’s a goddamned luxury, and if I were you, I’d take advantage of it while you can.
-- Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 02:04 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilpertti View Post
I wouldn't guess now. Lots could still happen. The first indicator is season ticket renewals for all 30 teams which won't be in until the beginning of the season.

Here are some of the negatives.
  1. 2% drop in attendance leaguewide last year is a storm cloud on the horizon.
  2. National TV contracts are continuing, no contracts with a significant built in boost.
  3. Probably got a currency bump. If the exchange rate stays flat with the past year, there won't be a bump in that area for this year.
  4. One source of bumps is feel good stories like Phoenix this past season. I only see the Isles and Bolts as potential feel goods and I don't think they will be good enough to significantly bounce their team revs.
  5. How are NY and TO doing on raising prices. It would be wise to check them as their ticket increases are usually astronomical. If they pull back to just a 5% bump because of the economy, that would put a significant dent on a cap increase.

The biggest thing on wait and see is the North American economy. If it remains flat, there likely won't be a significant bump in the cap.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 02:14 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
We don't even know if they will extend the CBA. All bets are off for me with projections in this area. With the Kovalchuk deal getting nixed and the Players assoc not exactly happy about it, I'm not sure they don't open the whole bag of worms again. Hell, we might not even have a season next year.
They voted this past spring to extend the CBA one year to (new expiration of) September 15, 2012.

Part of that is due to the fact they don't have an ED who can start to sit down with the league **this season** to start negotiations.

Assuming they have a person in place by the start of the 10-11 season, that will give the newbie 3-6 months to get up to speed with the union (new constitution, etc.) before having to sit down with NHL and talk new post-2012 CBA.

Old
07-31-2010, 02:22 PM
Led Zappa
Steady As She Goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
They voted this past spring to extend the CBA one year to (new expiration of) September 15, 2012.

Part of that is due to the fact they don't have an ED who can start to sit down with the league **this season** to start negotiations.

Assuming they have a person in place by the start of the 10-11 season, that will give the newbie 3-6 months to get up to speed with the union (new constitution, etc.) before having to sit down with NHL and talk new post-2012 CBA.
Wow. Thanks. The article I read was seriously off then, cause it specifically went into what the Kovi contract being nixed could mean down the line. Or I could have misread too

Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 02:31 PM
68 Z-28

Wow. Already speculating about cap, salaries and the sharks team for 11/12 and the 10/11 season hasn't even started yet.

68 Z-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 02:43 PM
CupfortheSharks

"...but we're positioned just like we were when we added Thornton, Boyle or Heatley, if the right player with the right type of contract comes along.”

I REALLY like this quote. Clearly DW is ready to pull the trigger for the perfect D man.

CupfortheSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 03:25 PM
Tealblood

^yep otherwise we get nothing. That happens too.

Tealblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 08:57 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings ...

vCash: 1004
underachieving is achieving? hm ...

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote