HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Timmins for GM?

Old
07-31-2010, 09:26 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy View Post
Exactly. Lots of people here, just like i the media, were praising Timmins on the eve of the 100th anniversary season, the one where we were the cup favourite after finishing first in the east the season before. I wish I still had that RDS article that interviewed all 29 other GMs to see who they picked as the cup favourite, and the Habs had the most picks. The title of the article was "Les DG voient le Canadien dans leur soupe". I remember on TV and on the radio, they were praising Timmins and saying how we would surely lose him because a team would offer him a GM position.

Now the same people in the media and on these boards are crapping all over him. Guess what: a player's development doesn't stop after he's drafted or not even when he turns pro. Timmins is responsible for drafting them based on their potential. How they turn out after will depend on pro development. For all we know, we could have drafted Getzlaf and do a poor job of developing him, and people here would be *****ing about how we should've drafted that Belorussian kid that's scoring 40 goals with LA...

The hate is just ridiculous. He had some bad picks, but so did every head scout out there. How many of his picks made the NHL?

What is ridiculous is thinking that the Director of Player Recruitment and Development shouldn't be accountable for the team's overall performance in player recruitment and development.

Look, nobody is saying that Timmins has been totally useless but is that an acceptable new standard? This is supposed to be the brand name for excellence in hockey, and it's spiralling into a hotbed for mediocrity and apologists.

I personally hope that Molson is putting himself in the Prez's chair to have his hand on the pulse of the upper offices, and in control of the selection of management replacements.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 09:53 PM
Ubercron9000

We probably have the best prospect pool in the NHL. I wouldn't be surprised if trevor timmins was asked by the GM about certain players for trades. We have Halak(Traded), Streit(Let Go), Latendresse(traded), Pk Subban(Elite Talent) and Ryan O'bryne(I don't like him but he's ok).

Players that Timmins drafted or had help with drafting and I think will become excellent NHL players with high upside.

Alexander Avtsin
Gabriel Dumont
Danny Kristo
Louis Leblanc
Max Pacioretty
Steve Quailer
and I think Maxim Trunev could be a really great player if he can bulk up to 200 or 210 pounds. Taresenko kind of power and strengh would do him wonders.

Defensively I'm pretty high on Jared Tinordi and Yannick Weber. I know Weber played pretty aweful in the NHL last year, though he still is capable of being a good defenseman.

The problem is it takes time to develop players. Everyone thinks Players make the nhl at 19, 20 years of age. Eller is 21! You guys are high on him and he has played 1/8th of a season in the NHL. I have no doubt though he will be a great NHL player. The problem is people think you have to have results right away.

Ubercron9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 10:07 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
I saw this thread & kept avoiding it, but finally the curiosity got to me.

Pretty much what I expected. Unless your Sam Pollock re-incarnated, Bob Gainey or maybe an ex Hab player. FORGET ABOUT IT!

I don't get into language debates anymore.

Look, even if you think the guys GM material. Ever heard of a thing called the old boys club? The likes of Lou Lamarillo & Burke would eat him for breakfast.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 10:20 PM
paddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCareyPrice View Post
What is ridiculous is thinking that the Director of Player Recruitment and Development shouldn't be accountable for the team's overall performance in player recruitment and development.

Look, nobody is saying that Timmins has been totally useless but is that an acceptable new standard? This is supposed to be the brand name for excellence in hockey, and it's spiralling into a hotbed for mediocrity and apologists.

I personally hope that Molson is putting himself in the Prez's chair to have his hand on the pulse of the upper offices, and in control of the selection of management replacements.
You look... Nobody's saying he would be a good GM or that he should have no accountability. But please, a lot of posters here are crapping all over him and THEY ARE saying he's useless. What I'm saying is that the evaluation of a scout's work is hard to judge by itself, because many things such as pro development are a big part of how a player turns out. We've had a lot of players have good first seasons and then regress. Is that Timmins' entire responsibility? We've had other players do better once they were traded. Is that Timmins' fault?

If a player has a great season, it's not a fluke. It's only a glimpse of his true potential. Whether he gets better or worse after that depends on a host of factors like environment, mental toughness, confidence, motivation, health, etc.

I'm not saying he's a fantastic scout or that he would be a good GM. All I'm saying is that if you judge his work on the whole, he's done a good job and is above average in the scouting community.

paddy is offline   Reply With Quote